The Jack O'Neill/Daniel Jackson slash and friendship thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
    Where as I am old, and very wicked and I far prefer slash to het (simple maths, one hot man + one hot man = happy FF).

FF

Hear hear!...nice to have the "band back together"...or "Bad Women (tm ) Regrouping"....

I also think that the slash fandom, especially the J/D one, has some of the nicest and least confrontational fans around....we all seem to be respectful of others' choices and more laid back about where the lines of fiction and reality blur.....am a tad pissed off with the fandom in general due to some unsavory goings on in other areas of the web (blogs, Twitter etc) that it's very nice to have a safe haven to come to and re-affirm my choices for choosing this fandom in the first place...so thanks guys!...

Long live J/D, OTP forever, Bad Women (tm ) and respect!!...

Deeds xx *standing off soapbox and heading to read another new fic by the gorgeous paian for the 2009 J/D Ficathon*....LINK HERE
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Jack/Daniel.

Original and best.

J/D forever.

Here ends this highly unoriginal but nevertheless worth repeating message.

Comment

Hm, I found the boys languishing in the depths of GateWorld and feeling all neglected, poor darlings.

Some slashy things to think about and to stimulate.

Who do you find camper/queerer, more out?
        For a long time in J/D fanfic it was very traditional that Jack was alpha, the Top in their relationship and Daniel the touchy, feeley Sub (often to a ridiculous, OOC degree).
        Happily, as the fandom has matured, more variety in how their relationship is portrayed can be found, particularly on LJ (thank heavens we don't have do plump the horrific depths of the dross on FF.net and it's ilk for good fanfic!).
        Some of our best writers give us complex, multi-layered characterization.
        And canon Daniel, while a thinker and open with his emotions is never weak or feminine.

I have a taste for Alpha!Jack in fanfic, but there are scenes in the show where RDA just doesn't play him like that, and RDA is, at times, a much more subtle and nuanced actor than people give him credit for.
        I have a lot of queer friends and very few of them are fey and camp acting. Most, it would be very difficult for someone who didn't know to tell what their sexual preferences were.

So what's your Jack and Daniel?
        Are they queer only for each other?
        Bi? If not, what about their wives?
        Alpha!Jack or Alpha!Daniel or do they switch.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

hm... good question FF.... i've always seen Daniel as a man who doesn't adhere to labels.... as an anthropologist he understands all walks of life and knows there no such thing as normal.... so i've always seen him as a man who doesn't care about gender.... i've also found that i like dom!Daniel.... he's a pacifist, but he's not a pushover... and him being dominant in bed just makes me drool....

as for Jack.... i like seeing him emotionally vunerable.... we don't get to see it often on-screen, but when we do, RDA does it beautifully.... but at the same time, i do love him as the hard-arsed colonel.... until you get him into bed.... i've got an submissive!Alpha kink, as oxymoronic as that sounds.... i love seeing typical Alpha personailities being sexually submissive....
          I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
          sigpic

Comment

Hmm, interesting questions, topics. Who is more out? Well, I never understood this out-thing in this level, I mean I'm out, but ppl are very surprised when they learn this about me, cause I don't act like a drama queen. ... but I have my moments. So, lots of ppl expecting this from you, to act in that feminine way, because of the stereoypes. And I'm really glad that some ppl could see love between two males ( like between Jack & Daniel ) , 2 males who aren't drama queens.
            Now about the top or bottom question, I saw that in a very simple way in the beginning, in every slash, so the soldier is the top, the scientist is the bottom, don't ask why LOL, but reading dozens of fanfics, and rewtaching the show, made me realize that their relationship is more equal, also when you're in love with someone, roles can change very easily, because you want to make your partner happy, and try everything you can, for him and for yourself And these 2, they're in love.
            Now, about being gay or bi etc. , I like to think that they were straight before they met, maybe there was some experiencing, but nothing serious. But then they met, and had to deal with so many things, like saving each other's life every day, this made a strong bond between them, which led to something even more than an amazing and deep friendship.

sigpic

Comment

hmm... yea... ppl are still suprised when they find out i'm out too.... i mean, i'm a bit of a horndog, so they're not suprised when i start drooling over the guys, but when i start drooling over the girls too, it makes them think a bit.... and it's not just strangers... my friends do it, despite most of them being bi themselves.... i guess i just don't give off the right vibes? -shrugs-
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
                hmm... yea... ppl are still suprised when they find out i'm out too.... i mean, i'm a bit of a horndog, so they're not suprised when i start drooling over the guys, but when i start drooling over the girls too, it makes them think a bit.... and it's not just strangers... my friends do it, despite most of them being bi themselves.... i guess i just don't give off the right vibes? -shrugs-
                Yeah, the right vibes... I'm wearing super tight jeans, I love sci-fi... what else I could do??

sigpic

Comment

lol... i like scifi, blood and gore, and sharp pointy objects.... i abhore chick flicks, like fast cars and hot women and explosions.... and yet i still come off as completely straight.... i think it's b/c i live in the bible-thumping south.... chicks with guns is a normal occurance around here
                  sigpic

Comment

hm... good question FF.... i've always seen Daniel as a man who doesn't adhere to labels.... as an anthropologist he understands all walks of life and knows there no such thing as normal.... so i've always seen him as a man who doesn't care about gender.... i've also found that i like dom!Daniel.... he's a pacifist, but he's not a pushover... and him being dominant in bed just makes me drool....

as for Jack.... i like seeing him emotionally vunerable.... we don't get to see it often on-screen, but when we do, RDA does it beautifully.... but at the same time, i do love him as the hard-arsed colonel.... until you get him into bed.... i've got an submissive!Alpha kink, as oxymoronic as that sounds.... i love seeing typical Alpha personailities being sexually submissive....
                    Yes, yes, yes to the bolded, that fits with my canon Daniel very well.
                    And yes to the submissive alpha personality, I can see that in Jack very clearly.

Originally posted by Mr.MacGadget View Post
                    Hmm, interesting questions, topics. Who is more out? Well, I never understood this out-thing in this level, I mean I'm out, but ppl are very surprised when they learn this about me, cause I don't act like a drama queen. ... but I have my moments. So, lots of ppl expecting this from you, to act in that feminine way, because of the stereoypes. And I'm really glad that some ppl could see love between two males ( like between Jack & Daniel ) , 2 males who aren't drama queens.
                    Now about the top or bottom question, I saw that in a very simple way in the beginning, in every slash, so the soldier is the top, the scientist is the bottom, don't ask why LOL, but reading dozens of fanfics, and rewtaching the show, made me realize that their relationship is more equal, also when you're in love with someone, roles can change very easily, because you want to make your partner happy, and try everything you can, for him and for yourself And these 2, they're in love.
                    Now, about being gay or bi etc. , I like to think that they were straight before they met, maybe there was some experiencing, but nothing serious. But then they met, and had to deal with so many things, like saving each other's life every day, this made a strong bond between them, which led to something even more than an amazing and deep friendship.
                    Re the bolded, oh yeah, I'm sure they switch, love and life is seldom as simple as some fanfic makes out.
                    I love the bond between all of the big four and the love between Jack and Daniel is just sublime.
                    I've read fics which have both men having homosexual experiences in their younger days, though I view them both having been happily with their wives.
                    Human sexuality is fascinating and seldom as simple as boy meets girl, end of story, many, many 'straight' men aren't. Of course, SG1 is a US produced, prime time TV show. It's made for a white, straight, middle of the road audience; expecting any radical or groundbreaking sexuality in SG1 is a bit of slim hope.
                    Which is the joy of fanfic, of course, where we can give the characters more depth and explore ideas and themes without the restrictions of the TV show.

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

like i said before, i love submissive!Alphas, but really my favourite fics are the ones where the partners are equal in every aspect of their personal lives... b/c life is never constant and different situations require different reactions.... and we are getting there... SG-1 was just a bit ahead of its time.... given another five years, and we'd see more homosexual cannon than the little subtle tidbits we have right now....
                      sigpic

Comment

I've read fics which have both men having homosexual experiences in their younger days, though I view them both having been happily with their wives.
                        Human sexuality is fascinating and seldom as simple as boy meets girl, end of story, many, many 'straight' men aren't. Of course, SG1 is a US produced, prime time TV show. It's made for a white, straight, middle of the road audience; expecting any radical or groundbreaking sexuality in SG1 is a bit of slim hope.
                        Which is the joy of fanfic, of course, where we can give the characters more depth and explore ideas and themes without the restrictions of the TV show.

FF
                        Yeah, and because of this - prime time adventure family sci-fi show - they made it very innocent, so personally, I wouldn't want to see any 'real action' in the show, cause it wouldn't fit IMO, not into SG-1 or into Atlantis, now...

like i said before, i love submissive!Alphas, but really my favourite fics are the ones where the partners are equal in every aspect of their personal lives... b/c life is never constant and different situations require different reactions.... and we are getting there... SG-1 was just a bit ahead of its time.... given another five years, and we'd see more homosexual cannon than the little subtle tidbits we have right now....
                        ... now, the 5 years, look at SGU, I can see homosexual cannon there ( well, we already have, but not between 2 main male characters of course ), so in that show, I can see it, that it might gonna happen...

sigpic

Comment

i've not been watching SGU.... i mean i watched the pilot, but it didn't really grab me... maybe over the holidays, if i have time, i'll catch up.... but alot of primetime shows are starting to become a little more open.... none as open as House, but getting there....
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, and because of this - prime time adventure family sci-fi show - they made it very innocent, so personally, I wouldn't want to see any 'real action' in the show, cause it wouldn't fit IMO, not into SG-1 or into Atlantis, now...
                            Agreed. I also don't think that the Stargate TPTB are very good at writing convincing relationships so I'm quite happy to stick with fanon, rather than be handicapped by TPTB's rather bizarre and unconvincing ideas of what a relationship is like.
                            Besides, slash fans have always known that canon is for fans who don't have the creative spark to read the subtext. Who wants to be spoon fed TPTB's lame romances when you can have this -

i've not been watching SGU.... i mean i watched the pilot, but it didn't really grab me... maybe over the holidays, if i have time, i'll catch up.... but alot of primetime shows are starting to become a little more open.... none as open as House, but getting there....
                            I won't get to see SGU until it turns up on terrestrial UK tv in about four years or so. Not losing sleep over it.

FF
                            Last edited by Frostfox; 11 November 2009, 09:31 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Agreed. I also don't think that the Stargate TPTB are very good at writing convincing relationships so I'm quite happy to stick with fanon, rather than be handicapped by TPTB's rather bizarre and unconvincing ideas of what a relationship is like.
                              Besides, slash fans have always known that canon is for fans who don't have the creative spark to read the subtext. Who wants to be spoon fed TPTB's lame romances when you can have this -

I won't get to see SGU until it turns up on terrestrial UK tv in about four years or so. Not losing sleep over it.

FF
                              Yeah, they are very good at the hopeless love, when the 2 characters cant be together for some reason , but actual relationship... like McKay and Keller... *shivers* and not for the good reason.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, they are very good at the hopeless love, when the 2 characters cant be together for some reason , but actual relationship... like McKay and Keller... *shivers* and not for the good reason.
                                They are serial offenders, not just for SG1 but for Atlantis too.

And sorry for stretching the page, I have followed LJade's advice and put Daniel under Jack...

FF
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X