This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loki
    Just found this thread and after about 3 weeks of back reading I feel I'm sorta update if not blind from staring at monitor for that long. Being a newbie to boards just thought I'd throw a few things out in Shipper land.
    *waves to the new person*

*Sits back with a Shipper n00b cookie and realizes that watching Jack come in from a day at work and trip over the ottoman as Carter comes in from the kitchen maybe the greatest televison experince ever.
    I always did like the Dick Van Dike Show.
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
      In honor of our glasses being half-full, I made us a new shippy vid! The song was suggested by Tame so it's dedicated to her but I think I'll change that dedication a *little* bit to include EVERYONE here, since TPTB have managed to drive us up the wall AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Measure of a Man" by Clay Aiken

Thanks, Tame! It was a great suggestion!!!!

Enjoy!
      Marimba, absolutely one of your best!!!!

isn't good enough to polish Jack's boots!!!

How could Sam ever settle for someone like when she could have someone like Jack who would give up his life 10 times over for her!!!!
      Ship Nana

Comment

Originally posted by Ship Nana
        Ok you asked for it:

ShipNana is proud to announce the newest Shipper Cookie

Drum Roll Please......

Naquadah Enhanced Anti-Ranting Shipper Cookies – If you have to eat these Shipper Cookies you are so desperate that you probably won't care what they are for.

P.S. - Disclaimer - Since these Shipper Cookies are probably radioactive please take the appropriate precautions when handling.
        Thank you, Ship Nana!!

I hope they work 'cuz I'm in a fit-throwing, spit-ranting, Shipper-menopausal mood.

Token ~

Comment

<Ok, 1st question before full-blown RANT....when exactly was Mr. Cooper lurking around the threads?>

In response to that quote from Mr. C - Count me as a person with problems then.

When it is someone that you are related to, someone you know, or yourself who has experienced a relationship where the other party is obsessive, controlling, or jealous enough to check out your every move or "check a couple things out" about you the way did, it does make you worried & possibly scared for the victim of those actions, especially if the victim won't/don't/can't get out of the relationship. If there's children involved.. makes it worse 'cuz then you walk a fine line of dealing gingerly w/the victimizer so that you still have communication w/the victim & the kids to try to be there as some kind of safety net for them.

So, NO. I respectfully disagree w/Mr. Cooper. IMHO Shippers don't have problems the way he implied (no more than any fan or any other human being does.) The problems we have are in seeing loved ones/friends/others in these types of destructive relationships and being limited in what we can do to help them. The problems we have are that we don't want to see those kind of unhealthy relationships propogated and promoted and ACCEPTED as a societal norm.

And yes, I speak from experience from watching/dealing w/my only sibling (younger brother) treat his (now ex-) wife like dirt for 10 years. Bro is a controller/manipulator/jealous as all get out. And worst part... he wasn't raised that way... we have a wonderful gentle man for a father.

But, back on topic, either way, I've seen it. We've all seen or experienced it. And relating to Sam ("The First Commandment" #105) -she's already admitted she falls for these type of men & has experienced these kind of relationships before. If I'm having "problems" for not wanting one of my favorite strong female characters (strong like a man, but still most definitely a woman) not to be victimized again, then so be it.

Having TPTB saying oh it's nothing. Oh it's minor. Oh it happens all the time in real life - it's ok......... does that make it right? Not in my book. And while I do like a good romance (RL or other), I am a VERY realistic about RL relationships of any type & I'm not afraid to call an abuser (or someone who's shown those type of tendencies toward becoming one) for what they are.

I still say if he had been presented/written differently (no background search, no leaving the bedroom, no crashing an AF stakeout & over a period of time - not mashed into one ep.), maybe I might have had a different opinion of him. But he wasn't done that way. And for anyone who knows anyone in RL like that - it's wrong & damn right I'm going to have a problem as well as an opinion about it.

<Sorry for the rant... pass a green cookie please Nana....>
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Loki
            Just found this thread and after about 3 weeks of back reading I feel I'm sorta update if not blind from staring at monitor for that long. Being a newbie to boards just thought I'd throw a few things out in Shipper land.
            <snip>
            ***waves****(((((((hugs))))))))) Hi Loki! Welcome to this wonderful Shipper family. Sorry you had to catch us all in the middle of a bad rant. Have some cookies with us & post lots, OK?
            Personally, I hope Jack gets a call from one his buddies on the "inside" finds out what Pete did then make sure he is comfortable at the bottom of the lake. I betcha Teal'c would help.
            hee hee hee Yep... Jack's got some higher placed buddies than does who'd love to help out in a pinch.
            <snip>
            - If producers never meant for Sam and JAck to end up togther how come in EVERY alternate universe they were TOGETHER. And they think I have issues
            Loki... the S/J ship storyline was there in the 1st eps of the 1st season..... it's just been building for years.................TPTB have been a little flip-floppy as they try to keep on the middle road to keep everybody happy, but have ended up angering all the camps & making Sam look like a, well, can't think of a appropriate word this late at night, but whatever it would be it wouldn't be nice.

But again - WELCOME!
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
              In honor of our glasses being half-full, I made us a new shippy vid! The song was suggested by Tame so it's dedicated to her but I think I'll change that dedication a *little* bit to include EVERYONE here, since TPTB have managed to drive us up the wall AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Measure of a Man" by Clay Aiken

Thanks, Tame! It was a great suggestion!!!!

Enjoy!
              Marimba, THAT was WONDERFUL!! Really helped my mood, as the recent discussions/interview excerpts/spoilers aren't perking me up at all.

Not one little bit. Zip, nada, zilch. Not feelin the love from TPTB. Wine bottle is empty, nothing left for cookie dippin. Surfing for ship fanfic...only helps a little. ShipDaddy's suggestion of not expecting a lot from S8...makes it a little worse. No Lowdown promo...makes me worried.

I'm usually a fairly optimistic little shipper, but being told I have issues....makes me want to reach for the remote, even before the season begins. Given that TPTB KNOW that shippers are a huge percentage of their viewers, why would someone besmirch (always did like that word) that many peoples' perspective of a character??? Are they so sure of our loyalty? Feel zero trepidation (another word of the day) about potential losses in viewership?? Actually, not sure I could be strong enough to not watch, in HOPES that our chains are being yanked and a positive, shippy, Jack and Sam smoochfilled resolution surfaces.

But, why would TPTB want to take the chance?? RL can and DOES intrude... we all make a choice to use our (limited) free time to watch this show...what makes them think it can't be replaced with other activities?? I've done harder things than to stop watching a television show...although never one as excellent as SG1.

I probably need MEGA doses of shipper cookies, starting with the gray ones.

Hope I haven't been a total wet blanket (or sinking ship )...I just feel comfortable enough on this thread to air the few musings rattling around my brain.

TPTB, if you're checking out internet opinion...leak a little bit of ship positive info......talk up SG1's new season a bit more, create a little more excitement around July 5th and 9th....you'd be amazed at the goodwill it would generate.

Di
              wonder if I need a break too, ala Tame? hmmmmmm......

Comment

TPTB should spend more time focusing on the show and how to treat the Sam and Jack relationship instead of giving interviews praising pete and criticizing the fans.It's bad enough non-shippers take shots at us now TPTB are taking shots and they created the Sam and Jack ship in the first place.It's nice to know TPTB value the fans support.

Comment

Shimmering Star has made some extremely valid points-I have first hand knowledge about guys like Pete. I've seen girlfriends hide black eyes or call me to come and stay with them because they were afraid to sleep in their house alone because of guys like that. The-"he's such a nice guy" or "I can't believe he would do something like that"=something like pushing his ex-girlfriend down the stairs-or as what happened in an Austin High School-knifing your ex-girlfriend in the school stairwell. Hey he was a nice guy--maybe if we sent the show articles about what these "nice guys" are capable of-they might understand. or not! We have all -as been pointed out-watched this show and came up with the same feeling. Sorry about the rant-but the whole cavalier way they are treating this just amazes me.
                  Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by GoneShippin'
                    <snip>
                    I'm usually a fairly optimistic little shipper, but being told I have issues....makes me want to reach for the remote, even before the season begins. Given that TPTB KNOW that shippers are a huge percentage of their viewers, why would someone besmirch (always did like that word) that many peoples' perspective of a character??? Are they so sure of our loyalty? Feel zero trepidation (another word of the day) about potential losses in viewership?? <snip>

But, why would TPTB want to take the chance?? RL can and DOES intrude... we all make a choice to use our (limited) free time to watch this show...what makes them think it can't be replaced with other activities?? I've done harder things than to stop watching a television show...although never one as excellent as SG1.
                    <snip>
                    wonder if I need a break too, ala Tame? hmmmmmm......
                    No Di. Please don't take a break! The Family needs to stay & stick together.

Of course that's a snippet of an article & who knows how it was actually said & the full context (I'm being nice here..........) in which it was said..... because while it's one thing to jerk our chains with the playing out of the storyline over a season <they know we're going to watch the whole season hopeful with anticipation at what might happen>... but it's quite another to slap a whole segment of viewers upside the head with a nasty little comment. And if they thought oh, it's only a little comment in a little UK magazine...........HELLO. This is the Internet age. Global instant community.

<Don't mess with the FAMILY! >

Comment

O'NEILL: ".... I should be irked, currently ... yes?"

OK, I said I don't rant much, but I'm irked... Though I think that it's unfair to point fingers at the writer, Thomasina Gibson, for her reportage of Robert Cooper's comments. It's sort of like 'shooting the messenger', isn't it? Anyway, I have to say that I'm dismayed and disgusted more that Robert Cooper would allow his statements to be released publically, even if said in jest. Declaring that some who dislike "Stalker Pete" have "quite a few issues of their own to deal with" without being specific as to what was said, is insulting to all fans who disagree with Mr. P's characterization and actions. Of course, Cooper did qualify his statement with "some" (so I can feel comfortable and exclude myself from this attack! ) but I think that this is just another example of TPTB and the actors (in particular, AT in recent interviews) overreacting and being overly defensive when faced with fans who have criticized their 'baby'. He then goes on to say "but the whole discussion thing is fun" which I'm assuming that's his way of putting a light-hearted and welcoming spin on his words....

But excuse me - WHAT discussion? I have yet to read anyone connected with the show even entertain the idea that what Pete did was morally and legally wrong.

Damian Kindler (screenwriter of Ch.) in his DVD commentary: "Nothing like being stalked by the guy you're dating. It's so romantic. So modern."

AT (SCiFi Mag 05-04): "I know they call him Stalker Pete because he did a background check on Carter, and again I say, she didn't know. She is not aware of what he did. She knows he followed her to the stakeout, but that's his cop instinct. It's just human nature to be inquisitive, and if you add to the fact that the person is a cop, and knows that the person you love is going to be in danger, his actions are completely excusable. I would do the same thing, so I don't think any less of him for that. Plus, he's cute and he's charming and is a great kisser."

Now Robert Cooper, Executive Producer (Cult Times #106): "I mean, there’s a lot of stuff on the Internet about ‘Stalker Pete’ and it’s clear that some of these people have quite a few issues of their own that they have to deal with..."

To me, the circling of wagons and all the lame excuses are beyond 'pathetic' (to use AT's words). Why insult a big part of your fanbase in writing? Did we strike a nerve? Hey, grow a thicker skin, FCOL! or just suck it up and admit that you guys made a mistake....If "having issues" means defending honesty and integrity in terms of developing a mature relationship, then I'd have to agree - I have issues.....

Ok, now go read this fanfic:
                      Shennahan's downfall by Maxennce
                      http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1914945

Issues? Oh yeah, I have issues......
                      sigpic

Comment

Good post Token.I think TPTB need to be reminded that if it was not for the fan's support they would not have the chance to write there lousy character Pete and there lousy episode Chimera.I have had it with TPTB and there attitude.I cannot believe how far TPTB are willing to go to protect the Pete character.TPTB would rather insult the fans instead of admitting to what is so obvious to most people about the Pete character.I cannot wait to hear the next bit of wisdom from TPTB.
                        Last edited by ses110; 17 June 2004, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50
                          <snip>
                          Damian Kindler (screenwriter of Ch.) in his DVD commentary: "Nothing like being stalked by the guy you're dating. It's so romantic. So modern." <snip>

LOL! (had to clap my hand over my mouth & pinch my nose to keep from waking the rest of the house up!) Thank you Mala as always for the excellent visuals! I can go to bed now w/a REALLY big smile on my face!

(and romantic & modern my foot! Old school & Neanderthal <wow, i can spell that word this late at night!> is more like it.)

Oh well... Thank you Mala. G'Night everyone!

Comment

[snip]

Damian Kindler (screenwriter of Ch.) in his DVD commentary: "Nothing like being stalked by the guy you're dating. It's so romantic. So modern."

[snip]

MALA! I LOVE THIS!!!!

In snarky celebration of and the COLOSSAL screwup of TPTB--

"Master of the House" from Les Miserables

WARNING!!! THIS VIDEO CONTAINS LANGUAGE AND SUGGESTIVE CONTENT!!! It also contains Pit sightings and is VERY snarky!! Proceed at your own risk!
                            Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                            Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                            Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

OK, I said I don't rant much, but I'm irked... Though I think that it's unfair to point fingers at the writer, Thomasina Gibson, for her reportage of Robert Cooper's comments. It's sort of like 'shooting the messenger', isn't it?
                              Sometimes a messenger may have a hidden agenda or bias. Unless there is a full and complete transcript, we may never know.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm dismayed and disgusted more that Robert Cooper would allow his statements to be released publically, even if said in jest. Declaring that some who dislike "Stalker Pete" have "quite a few issues of their own to deal with" without being specific as to what was said, is insulting to all fans who disagree with Mr. P's characterization and actions. Of course, Cooper did qualify his statement with "some" (so I can feel comfortable and exclude myself from this attack! ) but I think that this is just another example of TPTB and the actors (in particular, AT in recent interviews) overreacting and being overly defensive when faced with fans who have criticized their 'baby'. He then goes on to say "but the whole discussion thing is fun" which I'm assuming that's his way of putting a light-hearted and welcoming spin on his words....

But excuse me - WHAT discussion? I have yet to read anyone connected with the show even entertain the idea that what Pete did was morally and legally wrong.

AT (SCiFi Mag 05-04): "I know they call him Stalker Pete because he did a background check on Carter, and again I say, she didn't know. She is not aware of what he did. She knows he followed her to the stakeout, but that's his cop instinct. It's just human nature to be inquisitive, and if you add to the fact that the person is a cop, and knows that the person you love is going to be in danger, his actions are completely excusable. I would do the same thing, so I don't think any less of him for that. Plus, he's cute and he's charming and is a great kisser."

Now Robert Cooper, Executive Producer (Cult Times #106): "I mean, there’s a lot of stuff on the Internet about ‘Stalker Pete’ and it’s clear that some of these people have quite a few issues of their own that they have to deal with..."
                              Stalking is not a matter to be thrown about lightly. TPTB seem to keep making jest of the issue. What does that say to fans who may have had to deal with stalking in RL? I know some say they don't see Pete's actions as stalking, but when the writer of the episode calls Pete's behavior stalking then...Hello!...it's stalking.

To me, the circling of wagons and all the lame excuses are beyond 'pathetic' (to use AT's words). Why insult a big part of your fanbase in writing? Did we strike a nerve? Hey, grow a thicker skin, FCOL! or just suck it up and admit that you guys made a mistake....If "having issues" means defending honesty and integrity in terms of developing a mature relationship, then I'd have to agree - I have issues.....
                              Too right!! I guess I have issues as well!

Loved it! It's sooo what needs to be done!!

Token ~

Comment

I think because of comments from Rob Cooper and AT I have always felt we will never really get to enjoy seeing Sam and Jack get together.I think they will still end up together but it may only take place in the last 5 to 10 minutes of the last episode.Most of TPTB and the actors just do not care enough about the Sam and Jack relationship.They talk about ship like it is a burden to the show.We will get some Sam and Jack ship in season 8 but it will be pretty much a tease like always.I really hope I end up wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X