This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogue
    I still waiting for Joe. We will find out that Sam and him had a intimate relationship.
    They did, will do, might do.... did in an alternate future time line. Oooooh. Head spinning.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
      Or they could just drop the whole thing and let her personal life go back to being personal.

Just sayin
      Definitely. they''re NOT going to resolve the much-ballyhooed-shrieked-about 'ship' issue as once a show does that, they lose viewers. Keeping people coming back week after week is what the show wants.

the only way for Jack and Sam to get together is to end the show FOREVER. NO movies, nada. Cuz if you did a movie, guess what? THey'd be divorced! Virtually every tv show that was made into a tv movie took the two characters whom they paired together and ruined their marriage in order to bring them back to whatever work they had (cop, PI, etc.) because happy marriages on action adventures shows don't work. Viewers want to see conflict, unresolved sexual tension, etc. It's the nature of the beast.

Comment

Well it's pretty obvious to me why the writers say they don't know what to do with Sam in season 10.
        Spoiler:
        The fact that they've killed off her father, booted her boyfriend, destroyed her nemesis, sunk the ship, abandoned her adopted child, demoted her, and have brought back a large chunk of the men she's ever had the slightest amount of feelings towards in less than one year, may have something to do with it.
        I mean what exactly do you have left? They've pretty much wrapped Carter up in a pretty little package and they don't want to deal with unwrapping her again because that would cause them to actually think outside of the box.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that they couldn't possibly touch upon the fact that Sam was a host, because well you know that is Vala's new thing and god forbid the women on the show would actually be involved in a storyline that didn't involve some sort of UST or romantic interest. They haven't been able to conjure up that kind of storyline since they moved to SCIFI.

It's sad because before this year, I actually used to think of myself as pretty tolerant person regarding ship on the show. I actually enjoyed seeing the characters in new relationships. I admit I enjoyed the romantic relationships almost as much as I enjoyed exploring all the non-romantic ones... Daniel/Jack, Teal'c/Bra'tac, Sam/Jacob, Sam/Janet. However, up until season seven, the romantic relationships were only small sub-plot of each of the episodes. We were normally only given hints/suggestions as to what was really happening between the characters and were allowed to decide for ourselves whether anything went further or not. The romance never really dominated any of the storylines, and in most cases they were nicely intertwined into an A-plot. However, that doesn't seem to be the case since the show moved to the SCIFI channel. Now, we are forced to deal with entire episodes that blantantly deal with the characters personal life or sexual tension with little or no real character development or A-plot storyline.

For me, I believe one of the biggest problems I have with Sam comes from the fact that where the other characters are/were allowed to have interesting relationships with the opposite sex, they were also written to have very unique and strong relationships with characters of the same sex. At one point in time, Sam had this kind of relationship, but she lost her balance when Janet died in season seven; and the writers have done very little since then to really show Sam bonding with anyone in a non-romantic way. One of the reasons I enjoyed season six so much was because the writers really seemed to work at building up the relationships between Sam/Jonas/Teal'c. I was able to see Sam begin to bond with someone and it be purely platonic; but for some reason they [the writers] chose to abandon that idea and the only real friendship scenes we've had with Sam & Teal'c since then has been in New Order/Heroes II. Sam and Daniel used to have this type of relationship. I used to consider them to be very good friends, but since he came back in season seven, the writers seem to have lost sight of the fact that it is quite possible for a man to truly enjoy Sam's company without finding her desirable or wanting to be involved with her romantically.

As much as I detest the way they have introduced Vala to the show, I really see her as a strong character who may possibly be able to give Sam that balance she so strongly needs in her life again. I think Sam has had her fair share of romantic interest storylines, it's time to pass the torch onto someone else and maybe in the process they will figure out a way to write really unique and intesting stories for both Sam and Vala that don't involve a romantic relationship.

Kat
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 January 2006, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Well it's pretty obvious to me why the writers say they don't know what to do with Sam in season 10.
          Spoiler:
          The fact that they've killed off her father, booted her boyfriend, destroyed her nemesis, sunk the ship, abandoned her adopted child, demoted her, and have brought back a large chunk of the men she's every had the slightest amount of feelings towards in less than one year, may have something to do with it.
          I mean what exactly do you have left? They've pretty much wrapped Carter up in a pretty little package and they don't want to deal with unwrapping her again because that would cause them to actually think outside of the box.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that they couldn't possibly touch upon the fact that Sam was a host, because well you know that is Vala's new thing and god forbid the women on the show would actually be involved in a storyline that didn't involve some sort of UST or romantic interest. They haven't been able to conjure up that kind of storyline since they moved to SCIFI.

It's sad because before this year, I actually used to think of myself as pretty tolerant person regarding ship on the show. I actually enjoyed seeing the characters in new relationships. I admit I enjoyed the romantic relationships almost as much as I enjoyed exploring all the non-romantic ones... Daniel/Jack, Teal'c/Bra'tac, Sam/Jacob, Sam/Janet. However, up until season seven, the romantic relationships were only small sub-plot of each of the episodes. We were normally only given hints/suggestions as to what was really happening between the characters and were allowed to decide for ourselves whether anything went further or not. The romance never really dominated any of the storylines, and in most cases they were nicely intertwined into an A-plot. However, that doesn't seem to be the case since the show moved to the SCIFI channel. Now, we are forced to deal with entire episodes that blantantly deal with the characters personal life or sexual tension with little or no real character development or A-plot storyline.

For me, I believe one of the biggest problems I have with Sam comes from the fact that where the other characters are/were allowed to have interesting relationships with the opposite sex, they were also written to have very unique and strong relationships with characters of the same sex. At one point in time, Sam had this kind of relationship, but she lost her balance when Janet died in season seven; and the writers have done very little since then to really show Sam bonding with anyone in a non-romantic way. One of the reasons I enjoyed season six so much was because the writers really seemed to work at building up the relationships between Sam/Jonas/Teal'c. I was once again was able to see Sam begin to bond with someone and it was purely platonic; but for some reason they [the writers] chose to abandon that idea and the only real friendship scenes we've had with Sam & Teal'c since then has been in New Order/Heroes II. The writers seem to have lost sight of the fact that it is quite possible for a man to truly enjoy Sam's company without finding her desirable or wanting to be involved with her romantically.

As much as I detest the way they have introduced Vala to the show, I really see her as a strong character who may possibly be able to give Sam that balance she so strongly needs in her life again. I think Sam has had her fair share of romantic interest storylines, it's time to pass the torch onto someone else and maybe in the process they will figure out a way to write really unique and intesting stories for both Sam and Vala that don't involve a romantic relationship.

Kat
          I agree with you up until the Vala thing. As you said TPTB dont know what to do with Sam without relationship do you think it will be different for Vala? I sure dont.

I dont think they will be able to write two females in a story successfully and all that means is that Carter will be phased out in exchange for the new UST\Ship with Vala. Will it be Vala\daniel, Vala\Mitchell, Vala\guestcharacteroftheweek is yet to be seen....by those that are interested in such things. I will be looking for something else as I am not interested in the personal lives of any character. I like it just fine when it is background like you said, but the forground stuff, thats just network TV\Soap Opra and I dont watch that stuff if I can find anything else.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think Kat, without quoting your whole rant, you summed it up perfectly. Oh well. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue
              I wished they would just leave Sam alone. Since they do such a bad job with writing her personal life, just focus on her career.
              I agree. She is a great character, she can be more than fine without matching her men all the times...

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                I agree with you up until the Vala thing. As you said TPTB dont know what to do with Sam without relationship do you think it will be different for Vala? I sure dont.

I dont think they will be able to write two females in a story successfully and all that means is that Carter will be phased out in exchange for the new UST\Ship with Vala. Will it be Vala\daniel, Vala\Mitchell, Vala\guestcharacteroftheweek is yet to be seen....by those that are interested in such things. I will be looking for something else as I am not interested in the personal lives of any character. I like it just fine when it is background like you said, but the forground stuff, thats just network TV\Soap Opra and I dont watch that stuff if I can find anything else.
                Oh I believe you are quite correct. I don't think things will be any different for Vala than it has been for Sam over the past three years. I find it actually quite amusing how so many people scream that they dislike Sam/Jack, but they enjoy Vala/Daniel or Sam/Mitchell, because I really do not believe the writers write UST very well ( one character always seems to suffer ) and the bond that has always made SG1 so strong, is the fact that they don't really have anyone else in their lives. Besides their jobs, they all seem to lack any personal life or happiness whatsoever. They live for the cause, and for them that's to protect Earth from evil-doers. There may be time for an occassional relationship here or there, but a true romantic relationship would ever be tolerated to thrive very long.

Personally I do not like what they did to Sam/Jack's relationship. I really enjoyed their relationship before season seven and I know shippers keep hoping that they will see some resolution, but I really think they are hoping for something that will never come to pass. It's not like the writers haven't had opportunities in the past to allow the characters to be romantically happy. Even if we were allowed to see the relationship flourish into something more serious, sooner or later, the relationship would come to an end just as it has with Sha're, Shaun'auc, Drey'auc, and Pete. If you look at the alternate realties, Sam and Jack appear to always be together, but in every reality in which they were, one of them has died.

While destiny means that it is predetermined to share a part of their lives together, it does not always mean that path will end happily. Sam and Jack may indeed be destined for one another, just as Share and Daniel may have been destined for one another; however, the destiny they share may be for only one year or one kiss. That is not to say that their love for one another is any less than someone who spends a lifetime together, it only means that in the Stargate universe like in the real world, love does not conquer all and happily ever after only exists in fairy tales.

And personally, I would much rather see the friendships between the four, possibly five, main characters thrive and flourish than spend another year or two contemplating what may or may not happen behind close doors with any of them.

Kat

Comment

yeah, i'd much ratehr have an emphasis on platonic friendship and leave all the 'ooshy gooshy' stuff to the fans' imagination.

all they seem to be doing is perpetrating the fallacy that it's impossible for a male and female to co-exist without one of htem wanting to shag the stuffins out of the other
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X