This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knocknashee
    You know I will now there's a prize involved...

Between Jane and ye, I could be one dead Beanie by the end of Pegasus One...
    I'd so love to be a fly on the wall when you meet him!
    Seriously, the offer stands....It will be money well spent IMO!

As to the 'no ship' rule in the JF/JS thunk thread, that rule was made before I joined, and I have to be kept in line sometimes (Flo has her whip), but the rule is sensible. I'm happy to be kept in line too.
    I joined in July, and not all threads are welcoming. I was made very welcome in the JF/JS thunk thread. However, not everyone answered every post, and still don't, not everybody thinks my points are interesting (probably most don't) and I'm not egotistical enough to consider that should be the case.
    EVERY new poster gets welcomed, by just about every poster that I have seen. It is a very close-knit community, but one that welcomes input from new posters. Like any relationship, it takes time to know people and understand the senses of humour involved, thus you can't become bosom buddies immediately, it takes time.
    There is also no arguing or nastiness in the JF/JS thunk thread, and how many other threads can honestly say that?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
      I'd so love to be a fly on the wall when you meet him!
      Seriously, the offer stands....It will be money well spent IMO!

As to the 'no ship' rule in the JF/JS thunk thread, that rule was made before I joined, and I have to be kept in line sometimes (Flo has her whip), but the rule is sensible. I'm happy to be kept in line too.
      I joined in July, and not all threads are welcoming. I was made very welcome in the JF/JS thunk thread. However, not everyone answered every post, and still don't, not everybody thinks my points are interesting (probably most don't) and I'm not egotistical enough to consider that should be the case.
      EVERY new poster gets welcomed, by just about every poster that I have seen. It is a very close-knit community, but one that welcomes input from new posters. Like any relationship, it takes time to know people and understand the senses of humour involved, thus you can't become bosom buddies immediately, it takes time.
      There is also no arguing or nastiness in the JF/JS thunk thread, and how many other threads can honestly say that?
      Yep...dust off the credit card hun...that is soooo done...Jane can verify for ya...

As to the JFT, I would say, like all threads, it has its ups and downs...there has been nastiness in the past, I won't deny it, however most of that has come from or been caused by people outside of the 'regs' of JFT, outside GW or from other areas of the JF fandom.

This is the point where I'd like to point out to a certain group of people, y'all know who you are, that the F-Lock feature exists on LiveJournal for a reason...and as to clairification of rules, I'd like to hear the mods / Darren's stance on direct off-quoting of these forums - whilst people ranting about other forum members can't really be stopped, it's just exceedingly poor form to do it by name, I'd assume there are some ownership issues as to directly quoting something another poster has said for the sole purpose of ragging on them...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
      "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

To answer the Quoting off these forums.
        If someone goes to their own LJ and/Blog and decides to write pages about something posted here in the Forum there is really nothing we can do or say about it. There is no copyright on the posts here and Darren while being the owner is not in charge of the content of that persons LJ and/or Blog.

However, It IS against Forum Rules to post anything HERE from another Forum and/or quote from another source you do not have permission to link to. You can link to it if it is a valid public news link for StarGate but if it is to a personal site that you do not own or have permission to link to we will delete it. Quoting or linking to another person'rs personal LJ or Blog is against Forum rules as well if you do not have that person's permission and that will also be deleted.

We only have control over what is posted here.
        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
          We only have control over what is posted here.
          "We control the horizontal and the vertical..."
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
            "We control the horizontal and the vertical..."
            Strangely I can see how this can be applied to the Thunk Threads

AND the Outer Limits
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Also the topic of THIS thread.... Men don't make Thunk threads like women do...why is that?
              The reason is that someone would bite their heads off if they did!
              Simple as that. It's a double standard. Women in general get away with a lot when it comes to their behaviour towards men. If men behaved the same way, it wouldn't be tolerated.

Comment

It is definitely ok to say I personally don't like /do like posting in the XYZ thread because it moves slow/fast, is sad/funny.

However, you can't say I can not stand the people in the XYZ thread! they are rude, snotty and they never bathe. Besides I will bet money if you didn't spell out XYZ they wouldn't know how to spell it!
                Oh then I am sorry I had no idea I couldn't tell the truth as I perceive it. *naughty me*

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                  The reason is that someone would bite their heads off if they did!
                  Simple as that. It's a double standard. Women in general get away with a lot when it comes to their behaviour towards men. If men behaved the same way, it wouldn't be tolerated.
                  Essentially.
                  It's not actually so much that people would bite our heads off, it's the names and label's we get.
                  Being called a sexist is very insidious. There is no way to prove you aren't, but it clings like a nasty odour.
                  And things that would be innocous or laughed off can be taken very differently after that label has been attached to you.
                  The old saying of 'mud sticks' applies, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                    Oh then I am sorry I had no idea I couldn't tell the truth as I perceive it. *naughty me*
                    There's a big difference between expressing your opinion and being downright rude,IMO, especially when it breaks GW rules. With a little more tolerance and forethought this would be a much more harmonious place, but I suppose that reflects life generally!

I have no problem with men looking at and appreciating women and for the life of me don't understand why women would have a problem with this.I enjoy looking at men, and see nothing wrong with that either. I'm stumped as to why there's this inequality.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                      Essentially.
                      It's not actually so much that people would bite our heads off, it's the names and label's we get.
                      Being called a sexist is very insidious. There is no way to prove you aren't, but it clings like a nasty odour.
                      And things that would be innocous or laughed off can be taken very differently after that label has been attached to you.
                      The old saying of 'mud sticks' applies, I think.
                      To reinforce this idea, I will quote myself from Page 1:
                      Originally posted by CoryHolmes
                      The real reason those of us with a Y chromosome don't come out and bluntly state the purpose of threads of this variety is that we know that somewhere, someone is going to be offended by it and that we'll sooner or later be slapped with a sexual harrasment lawsuit or we'll be reported to our Imperial Overseers with complaints regarding how we callously and offensivly objectified the woman in question and/or the entire half of the species.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                        I have no problem with men looking at and appreciating women and for the life of me don't understand why women would have a problem with this.I enjoy looking at men, and see nothing wrong with that either. I'm stumped as to why there's this inequality.
                        Basically, feminism is why we have this inequality.
                        Not long ago, a bunch of women had had enough and fought for their rights.
                        THis included freedom from sexual harrassment.
                        However, the flip side of the coin was never examined.
                        Women are human. Men are not the only ones who committ sexual harrassment or sexual assult.
                        There was never any protection for men from this and the protections for women grew up around the presumption that the man was guilty until he proved his innocence.
                        This led to a state of being where, no matter the circumstances, if a woman alleged a man had harrassed her, he was considered guilty by his peers, even if there was no proof.( I would recommend the book 'Disclosure' for those who don't know what I mean).
                        This has gotten to the point where oversensitive women complain about stupid things(like pinups in a man's locker, or a calender in a mechanics office that you will be in for 5 miniutes).
                        It only takes one woman to get offended and any man with any connection to said thread is tainted.
                        That's where the inequality came from(IMHO)

Comment

Basically, feminism is why we have this inequality.
                          Not long ago, a bunch of women had had enough and fought for their rights.
                          THis included freedom from sexual harrassment.
                          However, the flip side of the coin was never examined.
                          Women are human. Men are not the only ones who committ sexual harrassment or sexual assult.
                          There was never any protection for men from this and the protections for women grew up around the presumption that the man was guilty until he proved his innocence.
                          This led to a state of being where, no matter the circumstances, if a woman alleged a man had harrassed her, he was considered guilty by his peers, even if there was no proof.( I would recommend the book 'Disclosure' for those who don't know what I mean).
                          This has gotten to the point where oversensitive women complain about stupid things(like pinups in a man's locker, or a calender in a mechanics office that you will be in for 5 miniutes).
                          It only takes one woman to get offended and any man with any connection to said thread is tainted.
                          That's where the inequality came from(IMHO)
                          Yep, a similiar thing has happened with the Racism issue as well. Now I'm totally against Racism - discriminting based on ethnicity/race/colour is just plain wrong.
                          But take this scenario - African American accuses a check out chick (white) who asks for identification on his credit card of Racism. Yet the check out chick follows company policy of asking all customers for ID (btw this is something I personally witnessed). Now I understand that racism is probably a more touchy subject than gender inequalities, but its the same thing. Which makes me think that perhaps alot of the people that 'support' these issues are actually only concerned about their own personal benefit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Yep, a similiar thing has happened with the Racism issue as well. Now I'm totally against Racism - discriminting based on ethnicity/race/colour is just plain wrong.
                            But take this scenario - African American accuses a check out chick (white) who asks for identification on his credit card of Racism. Yet the check out chick follows company policy of asking all customers for ID (btw this is something I personally witnessed). Now I understand that racism is probably a more touchy subject than gender inequalities, but its the same thing. Which makes me think that perhaps alot of the people that 'support' these issues are actually only concerned about their own personal benefit from it.
                            Yeah, I'd agree.
                            I remember when I was younger, mum and I were in a coffe shop and mum ordered a black coffee.
                            The girl behind the counter gave her the most awful look and said "You mean a coffee without milk".
                            Mum said, 'yes, a black coffee'
                            and the girl lectured her on racial sensitivity.
                            We left.
                            But., yes, similiar things happen with racism as with sexism.
                            I hate racism, but I will for damn sure order a black coffee if I want it.

Comment

I hate racism, but I will for damn sure order a black coffee if I want it.
                              Political correctness gone mad. In the UK there are moves to change the nursery rhyme to "Baa baa green sheep", I kid you not.
                              sigpic
                              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Men are not the only ones who committ sexual harrassment or sexual assult.
                                This led to a state of being where, no matter the circumstances, if a woman alleged a man had harrassed her, he was considered guilty by his peers, even if there was no proof.( I would recommend the book 'Disclosure' for those who don't know what I mean).(IMHO)
                                There is a similar case that happened in my city. A female student accused her university professor of all manner of illicit sexual inappropiatness. Said teacher was suspended on the spot (without pay) and was summarily brought up on charges, paraded about the news media as a monster, had his house barricaded by protesting citizens, and generally was screwed over royally.

However, during the trial he was able to produce irrifutable evidence that SHE had been propositioning HIM for some time, and that it was she who'd made the inappropriate advances, sending him all manner of emails and pictures. It was when he turned her down that she cried foul, because she knew in advance exactly how the system was going to react and used it to her advantage.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X