Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also make sure jokes are accentuated with smilies. The problem with written messages is that sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across. If in doubt, write an additional note. Or apologise later.

I wouldn't say it's gotten out of hand on one thread. Two, I'd say.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      Also make sure jokes are accentuated with smilies. The problem with written messages is that sarcasm and humour doesn't always come across. If in doubt, write an additional note. Or apologise later.

I wouldn't say it's gotten out of hand on one thread. Two, I'd say.
      i think i am out of the loop, but which threads are "fighting"... i am curioous coz we are all gate fans here!!!
      ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Actually, it's been better today than it has been the past few days. Let's just say overlapping ships can get tense.

Comment

Actually, it's been better today than it has been the past few days. Let's just say overlapping ships can get tense.
          Yeah, giving links would only stir the pot. Again.

Comment

but which ships are "fighting"????
            ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Lexa, sorry to put a dampener on things, but I agree with Gooner. We're here to promote Intership Goodwill, not fuel the Antiship Wars.

Comment

I'm glad that a lot of people agree with me. We're all Stargate fans here. Everyone is going to have a different opinion no matter what. So we might as well respect each other.

Icon Made By LadyBozi

Comment

Unfortunately, I think this thread is mostly preaching to the converted. Yes, we ARE all Stargate fans- and a majority of us realize that. But there are a few... devout followers of a particular pairing/character who can't abide the idea of ANYONE disliking their pairing/character and they will go out of their way to, um, "defend" their viewpoint. They take it very PERSONALLY and they therefore make their attacks- I mean, defense- very personal.

For them, there can be no laying down of weapons, and not just because, as far as they're concerned, it's the OTHER people who are the problem. *shrug*

Still, any promotion of goodwill helps. And to quote what a wise computer once said: The only winning move is not to play.

Comment

Yeah, we should get all the Shippers and Anti-Shippers on an island getaway to help ease the tension between them - then nuke the island >

that was a joke!
                    Last edited by Agent_Dark; 10 December 2005, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony Wolf
                      I'm glad that a lot of people agree with me. We're all Stargate fans here. Everyone is going to have a different opinion no matter what. So we might as well respect each other.
                      Hmm, opinion is one thing but many shippers seem to think they own the characters and can say what is perfect for them, and unless that stops nothing will change.

Plus isn't this like the fourth thread started on this topic already.

Comment

It helps if people do not lump all those of the opposite persuasion into one group and say things like:

Shippers want SG-1 to be a soap opera
                        Shweirs are teyla-haters who are jealous of sheylas
                        Anti-shippers are all J/D-ers, even the ones who don't admit it / know it

And most people are canny enough not to do this, but some will, and then qualify their statements with "I know there are exceptions among the [group X] but mostly they're [soapy/green-eyed/slasher-in-denial]" - implying that the 'okay' ones in group X are the exception and the chances are if you're in group X you're [soapy/green-eyed/slasher-in-denial]. Or with "well, at least the ones who protest the loudest are..." - implying that anyone who bothers posting in the X thread (after all, that's where the loudest posting about X is) is soapy/whatever. I find the qualified statements far ruder than the unqualified ones. The person who lazily asserts that "Dex/Teyla shippers are fans of cliches" is clearly being too lazy and ignorant to be taken seriously. The one who says "I suspect most D/T shippers fall for cliches easilly" is *deliberately* belittling fellow posters, and if challenged will blink innocently and point out that (s)he left room for any D/Ter who feels themself above the hoi-polloi of the Cliche-fan D/Ters to be a non-cliche-fan. How patronising.

And people often focus on denying it: "I don't want a soap opera! I'm not a slasher! I don't see Weir as a threat to Teyla!" But it would be equally valid to say: "Yes? And? so? but? therefore? If I *was* a slasher would it make my anti-S/J-ness any less valid? If I *do* want a bit of decent soap-style romance does that mean I don't deserve to be taken seriously? If Weir *is* a threat to my dream for the show, does that give you the right to sneeringly dismiss me?"

What I'm saying is, it seems to be taken for granted that once a person is accused of having an actual *reason* for their like or dislike of a ship, it's fair game to dismiss them and their opinion, as if having a *reason* makes it impure or invalid to like/dislike what they like/dilsike. It's a remarkably common attitude and the only thing I can say to it is

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                        X