Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one that has a issue with Vala?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind the fact that Vala's outfits show off her body, that she's apparently in touch with her sexuality, and that she goes after what she wants (which is most often Daniel...). I find that refreshing in female characters today. However, I dislike how most of her actions are that of a child desperately in need of attention. Look! I can make coarse jokes! Look! I can talk about sex at the most inopportune times! TPTB have taken a sexy, mature woman and stuck in the attitude of a teenager and that really repels me from her character.

And then there's the suspension of belief regarding her interactions with the SGC. She's a thief, she lies, she's selfish, she literally attaches herself one of the members of the prestigious SG1 team and potentially puts him in danger, and yet she seems to have the run of the SGC while she's there. Not to mention they actually let her into the govt hearings regarding SGC funds? Sorry, I just don't buy it.

Comment

That's what is disrespectful, that a character with those qualities gets so much attention and focus on the show! That she was tolerated in a military installation for so long is unbelievable and lowers the quality of the show. There are a lot of men on "Stargate SG1", but for most of the season Vala was the only women with a decent amount of screen time. Tell me, what was the purpose of her character other the eye candy for the men?

And as for being in touch with her sexuality, it was a lot more than that! The character flaunted her sexuality in inappropriate situations. Is this how far women have come that her behavior is considered liberated? I find that very sad. I also object to her rash, silly actions that put their lives at risk, and still she was tolerated. One of the reasons I loved the show was that it had two intelligent, brave and beautiful women as main characters (Carter and Frazier). I don't know what's really happening with Carter in the 10th season, but the rumors plus the recurring character of Vala disturbs me greatly.

I'm going to go watch "Farscape" to remind me how much I like Claudia Black in the role of a strong intelligent woman.
      Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Good posts Toaster on Fire and Hatusu. Can't rep either of you again.

Comment

Thanks. I know I owe you one.

Comment

I like Vala. I don't find her offensive and as a recurring character I think she is a real find. But she really is a character best enjoyed in small doses. Twenty episodes of Vala is about 15 episodes too many! Particularly since the PTB have really not demonstrated an ability to use her character with any kind of moderation. I would hate to see a character who can be so much fun become become a character that I can't stand the sight of. I have a feeling a season 10 Vala overdose is pretty inevitable.

In order to fit her in as a member of SG-1, we also seem to be getting some unfortunate things coming with her. The
            Spoiler:
            Ori baby
            really looks like the season 10 version of the season 9 bracelet. It's a reason for her to want to be on the team. (I'm assuming it goes missing early in season 10 and Vala must search for it, thus needing the resources and the aid of the SGC. Oh the drama!) And yes, it looks like she probably is going to be the fifth team member during season 10. Her knowledge gained during her time in the Ori galaxy would be the only motivation for the team wanting her that makes sense to me. So pretty much every story is going to have to have a Ori undercurrent. Otherwise, why risk taking a pathological liar and thief out on a mission with you? Missions based on anything other than the Ori or maybe Lucian Alliance are pretty much out the window. So you've narrowed down your story telling possiblities.

Actually as a season 10 regular, she'd make a better bad guy. But I really don't see them having the guts to go in that direction. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.
            Last edited by Dream-a-Little; 11 December 2005, 07:29 PM.

Comment

What you say is interesting. Vala as a villian would be much more interesting for the show.
              Last edited by Hatusu; 11 December 2005, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                That's what is disrespectful, that a character with those qualities gets so much attention and focus on the show! That she was tolerated in a military installation for so long is unbelievable and lowers the quality of the show. There are a lot of men on "Stargate SG1", but for most of the season Vala was the only women with a decent amount of screen time. Tell me, what was the purpose of her character other the eye candy for the men?

And as for being in touch with her sexuality, it was a lot more than that! The character flaunted her sexuality in inappropriate situations. Is this how far women have come that her behavior is considered liberated? I find that very sad. I also object to her rash, silly actions that put their lives at risk, and still she was tolerated. One of the reasons I loved the show was that it had two intelligent, brave and beautiful women as main characters (Carter and Frazier). I don't know what's really happening with Carter in the 10th season, but the rumors plus the recurring character of Vala disturbs me greatly.

I'm going to go watch "Farscape" to remind me how much I like Claudia Black in the role of a strong intelligent woman.

I agree with you, in general. I'm worried about Vala being on the show because of some of the points you address. She just knocked all the believability out of the show for me when she was on screen. I think CB is a great actress, so it is nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with how Vala is written, and how the other characters react to her! I couldn't stand Landry when she was around, but I like him now. I don't care for Daniel very much around Vala, although some of the interaction is good. Teal'c and Mitchell were wallpapered while she was around.

I'm guessing alot of fans are worrried that their favorite character will be wallpapered once Vala hits the show for 20 episodes. Fans are worried about carter, but also fans are worried about Mitchell, who has been overshadowed completely by Vala. And Teal'c--well not many fans really seem to talk about him, but I don't think alot of fans want him wallpapered.

My worry is that SG-1 will become a totally different show with her on it, and that would make me sad because I love this show. She could change the whole tone, and make it seem absurd. And if she becomes the central focus, I don't think I could stand it because SG-1 is a team show, not a one character show. I found the first five episodes very absurd in what they would allow Vala to do. I cringed at that Senate committee hearing---I thought it was embarrassing for SG-1. I do think they'll tone down Vala, but then what does that really mean?

I almost didn't post here because frankly Vala is inevitable. the writers love her. They don't mention loving writing any other character. So, there you go. Others may feel the same way -- I border on not caring anymore, but I do still like the other characters and I have watched the show since the beginning. So, I hope it turns out well.

Comment

While I do understand the Vala trepidation, I like what the character has brought to the show. I think that the character in season 10 will be a little different from the character we saw in eps 1-6 of season 9. Since she'll be sticking around, I don't think she'll be written so "over the top" and will conform more to SGC SOPs (although hopefully not entirely!). Added character depth will also make Vala more palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
                    I like Vala. I don't find her offensive and as a recurring character I think she is a real find. But she really is a character best enjoyed in small doses. Twenty episodes of Vala is about 15 episodes too many! Particularly since the PTB have really not demonstrated an ability to use her character with any kind of moderation. I would hate to see a character who can be so much fun become become a character that I can't stand the sight of. I have a feeling a season 10 Vala overdose is pretty inevitable.

In order to fit her in as a member of SG-1, we also seem to be getting some unfortunate things coming with her. The
                    Spoiler:
                    Ori baby
                    really looks like the season 10 version of the season 9 bracelet. It's a reason for her to want to be on the team. (I'm assuming it goes missing early in season 10 and Vala must search for it, thus needing the resources and the aid of the SGC. Oh the drama!) And yes, it looks like she probably is going to be the fifth team member during season 10. Her knowledge gained during her time in the Ori galaxy would be the only motivation for the team wanting her that makes sense to me. So pretty much every story is going to have to have a Ori undercurrent. Otherwise, why risk taking a pathological liar and thief out on a mission with you? Missions based on anything other than the Ori or maybe Lucian Alliance are pretty much out the window. So you've narrowed down your story telling possiblities.

Actually as a season 10 regular, she'd make a better bad guy. But I really don't see them having the guts to go in that direction. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me.
                    I like that Idea.

When I heard that Vala was going to be a season 10 regular I just sat in shock. Oh, please no! She is just annoying. All that ever comes out of her mouth is sex talk. I can't even see Daniel anymore, he's really really different. He's like a completely different person.

What is going on with TPTB???
                    Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                    The Strongest Will Survive!
                    I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      I agree with you, in general. I'm worried about Vala being on the show because of some of the points you address. She just knocked all the believability out of the show for me when she was on screen. I think CB is a great actress, so it is nothing to do with this. It has everything to do with how Vala is written, and how the other characters react to her! I couldn't stand Landry when she was around, but I like him now. I don't care for Daniel very much around Vala, although some of the interaction is good. Teal'c and Mitchell were wallpapered while she was around.

I'm guessing alot of fans are worrried that their favorite character will be wallpapered once Vala hits the show for 20 episodes. Fans are worried about carter, but also fans are worried about Mitchell, who has been overshadowed completely by Vala. And Teal'c--well not many fans really seem to talk about him, but I don't think alot of fans want him wallpapered.

My worry is that SG-1 will become a totally different show with her on it, and that would make me sad because I love this show. She could change the whole tone, and make it seem absurd. And if she becomes the central focus, I don't think I could stand it because SG-1 is a team show, not a one character show. I found the first five episodes very absurd in what they would allow Vala to do. I cringed at that Senate committee hearing---I thought it was embarrassing for SG-1. I do think they'll tone down Vala, but then what does that really mean?

I almost didn't post here because frankly Vala is inevitable. the writers love her. They don't mention loving writing any other character. So, there you go. Others may feel the same way -- I border on not caring anymore, but I do still like the other characters and I have watched the show since the beginning. So, I hope it turns out well.
                      What you have said here really strikes a chord with me, especially your use of the word "absurd." I think that is the perfect choice of words for the character of Vala as written up to now.

We all use "suspension of disbelief" when watching a show like Stargate, of course. One has to in order to accept the premise and the situations and still find it enjoyable as entertainment. But the introduction of the character of Vala was what toppled the show over the edge into complete unredeemable unbelievability for me. IMO she is too absurd, too over-the-top, too ridiculous to accept as a working part of the SG universe. The show has sadly become a parody of itself. Wit has been replaced with clownishness, and we expected to accept it as if this is a "great new direction". How insulting to the viewers and the fans.

Comment

I know what I'm saying isn't terribly new, but Daniel deserves way better than Vala. I think that if nothing else, if they're trying to write a ship for him, at least give him someone that excites things other than down below for him. I mean, I'm so used to seeing Daniel interested in females of real intelligence and interest. With Vala, she wears her heart on her sleeve and that's just so not like Daniel to want.

Also, she is really damaging to the sg-1 team. Not only do I find her character tedious and grating, but I especially hated her in the Beachhead episode(not sure if that's the appropriate title). She kept having to say I told you so, like it would solve anything. I think she just needs a good butt whooping.

They're just meant to be.
                        My Ronon/Teyla Video Called Something There
                        Broken Video

Comment

i hate vala mal doran! it sucks that she will be a regular in season 10.

Comment

i hate vala mal doran! it sucks that she will be a regular in season 10!

Comment

Ditto but I think there's a thread for this somewhere...
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Me too...cannot stand her anymore

Pity cos I loved her in Prometheus unbound
                                sigpic
                                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                                X