Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping: More than Just a Casual Pastime?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jace021903
    I have been thinking about any characters that I have actively shipped for recently and I am having a hard time coming up with any. I'm not sure what that says about me. I'm happily married with children; maybe at this point in my life, I'm more pragmatic than romantic. If characters X and Y can't get their act together after so many years, than I lose all patience.

That's not to say that I am anti-romance at all; I like a happy ending as much as the next person. But it is more of "Aww, that's sweet" than "They HAVE to get together." I thinking Simon/Kaylee.

I also appreciate a well-written, committed couple like Wash/Zoe.

Can you tell I just watched Firefly?
    I'm partial to the relationships on Firefly too...
    I do think that if TPTB want to introduce romance in a show, it should be clear from the beginning, gradual and concerted. The half-hearted stuff in Stargate is gratuitous and farcical.

Something that makes me really uncomfortable in the shipping world is when fans blur the line between the characters and the actors. Hearing things like "X and Y are so good onscreen, it's too bad they are married to different people" makes me really twitchy. And real person romance fic--shudder. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Jace
    I wonder too in our day and age that we haven't become complete couch potatoes... that the sum of our lives is found in what we see on our television screen. Life is stressful and tiring, and often it is easier to pick up the remote, then it is to go out or pick up a book. It would then make sense that people find their solace in the unrealities of television programming to the extent that the people that inhabit that unreality become more real than the dreary lives we lead. I wonder too if the addiction to television is not also an addiction to the world and it's people that we love. We start to forget that they are just fictional characters and start to think of them as "friends", "neighbours", people that we care about. When one of them falls in love, dies... we're so invested in their lives that our feelings come to the fore. I suppose it is easier to invest effortless time into SL people than it is to RL people... who are often demanding, ungrateful and distant.

Personally I don't watch much tv... I'm pretty choosy... I choose not to have cable because I know that when one has it, one is compelled to use it and make it worth their while. Besides, here in Australia, cable television really only benefits people who like sports. For me it's not a huge issue. But I can see who it can be for those who spend 4 or 5 hours a day watching television.

Lots of good thoughts everyone... keep 'em coming...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c junky
      Every fandom I've been involved in seems to have its contingent of die-hard shippers who are so over-identified that they get up in arms over any perceived slight to their chosen 'ship. Not many seem to have quite such a large number of frightfully militant, over-invested and unbalanced 'shippers as HP, but they exist everywhere. I enjoy 'ship to a certain extent in fanfic, depending on the 'verse, but I'm not obsessed with it by any stretch and in SG-1 I actually prefer friendSHIP to romance even in the fic. The team dynamic and military structure just doesn't lend itself particularly well to romance in my opinion.
      I think the reason for the HP fandom shipper element being less than tolerant to multi-shipping, and less respectful of other/non-shippers might have something to do with age, since I'd imagine alot of readers will be younger and perhaps lack the maturity to deal with people having a different opinion. It's rather sad when that happens, and scary to be on the other side of such attacks, but it's inevitable that not everyone will be nice, and with that fandom being so large more will crop up.

In general on shipping, I do believe it is somewhat a matter of identification. I've heard it said many times that people tend towards shipping who they like most (and I don't simply mean who they'd like to date, but favourite characters) and it makes sense. You can't really ship who you don't feel any empathy or attachment to. I guess the issue is really with those who take it too far, and are perhaps subconsciously placing themself as one of the pair, or are at least are taking their interpretation as a fact.

If you thought x/x pairing was really there, as a hard fact, then it would make sense that you'd get possibly huffy about people denying it - the problem is that ships aren't usually fact, and somehow some people get to thinking they are. But still, the diehard/militant shippers who get that obssessed, to the point of being rude and disrespectful of anyone not agreeing or having a problem with how they are acting, are pretty small in SG fandom and I think are in fact in most fandoms.

I suppose you could argue most people who go to the effort of making vids, website, graphics and writing fanfic are at least somewhat obssessed - but that's part of being a fan in some ways, the issue is whether it ever gets to be an unhealthy obssession. Which I don't believe it does for most fans, or shippers, because they still have the sense of perspective; that it's just a show and it's just actors at the end of the day - that one day it will end and they'll be another show (and/or pairing) to gush over.
      Last edited by Purpleyin; 17 October 2005, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Maybe we should have a guage, like the 12 steps or something.

Vehement NoRomo
        NoRomo
        Apathetic
        Shipper
        Active Shipper - I'd like to think I'm somewhere around here.
        Obsessed Shipper
        Psycho Stalker Crazy Shipper (Run, run for your life!)

Comment

Oops, you missed one. How about the "just having fun, it's not that big of a deal shipper?"

Comment

Originally posted by deSaintphalle
            Oops, you missed one. How about the "just having fun, it's not that big of a deal shipper?"
            I think that could fall under 'Shipper' or 'Active Shipper', most likely the former rather than the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
              I think that could fall under 'Shipper' or 'Active Shipper', most likely the former rather than the latter.
              I would classify myself somehwere around active shipper as well. I really don't like anything that involves the actors and actresses--that is just plain wrong and can even cause trouble in real life relationships.

I ship because it is one of the most entertaining aspects of the fandom (as Stargate Barbie noted above) and I find the analysis to be quite inetresting. Actually, there is an intellectual side to it--deep character analysis with others is good for the mind and sharpens one's ability to evaluate books or film.

Shipping should never become a nasty thing, but obviously it does (especially with the HP shippers). I think Blue_Branigh's comment about identification with the characters being the key, is correct. If one really becomes associated with a a particular character then they start to get angry if that character doesn't behave the way that indidvual believes they should, or get what the indidviual believes they deserve--is a big cause of trouble.

Great thread idea, certainly worth the attention,

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by deSaintphalle

Love this..great postings here but I dont have enough time to read them all...Speaking only for myself and from experience...

Things can get pretty ugly when you state your favorite ship...I know I have been ridiculed because of my personal opinions...not so much here in GW...thank God..but in other threads...anyhow...
                I ship for a reason...MY REASON..and last time I heard, I don't have to have a reason....besides that I enjoy it....but, since I do consider myself somewhat rational and competent, I do state specific things that I see in the ship that I prefer and/or don't prefer..what I love best about this whole forum is the friendships that I have made online and the wonderful and in-depth discussions that I have shared with many....an elite few do go out of their way..but it is very few...and I guess I can live with that...but as far as I am concern..everyone and anyone should be allowed to express their opinions and say who they want to ship for without having to explain it or excuse themselves for it....I ship for whomever I pleased... let's have a mature conversation and like my friend here said...let's just have fun with it! I love to disagree with people because it can be such a great conversation..but not everyone can handle such high order thinking....
                So, keep on shipping and keep on posting...it's all about enjoying yourself and expressing your opinions freely and hopefully coming across people that can appreciate and respect other's even if they have a difference of opinion....

OH, and yes....I am obssess with the pair that I ship for...only because they are the only ones that I have ever rooted for....sad but true...
                sigpic

Comment

I've decided to resurrect this thread to voice some of my concerns regarding some ship vs ship antagonisms that I've been seeing and hearing about lately.

I'm not that naive to think that no one here is not biased and for myself, I admit freely that I have my own filter through which I see the Stargate universe. However I have never believed "ship" to be that important in scifi, in the scheme of things, at least not to the extent that it informs my entire opinion on how I feel about the characters (even the actors) and the storyline.

I really don't think that it is worthwhile for us to get into a spin about romances which may or may not happen. It's Stargate... guys... they love to fool around with our sensibilities.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I've had to step back from "ship" recently, only because I don't think its worth it. I've see shippers do the most bizarre things to promote their own ship, from raving about their fav couple, to bashing the other couple (or one partner who gets in the way), to shipping other odd pairs to get one character out of the way of their ship, and to even use multiple handles to try and make their fav ship appear more popular. I once received a PM from a shipper who wanted to know WHY I didn't see THEIR ship, and when I gave my response they replied, "But that's not a good enough reason! WHY don't you like A & D?"

I've seen a few so obsessed with their fav ship that they stop using the character names and start using the actor names and posting pictures of them from real life settings and remarking how wonderful they are together. This goes beyond "ship" - it is outright stalking.

When I stop to think about the pairing I would prefer, I realize. . .do I really want these two to smooch and hold hands every week, get married, have babies, and see all this on TV? Uh, NO. I want them to be CLOSE, but I don't want the gory details.

I have read so much terrific fanfic lately that I've come to enjoy the show for what it is, and then I can go to fanfic land for all the fantasy plots I would like my pair to engage in, like A & B having 10 beautiful blond children, with super psychic powers that will save the universe.

So, ship fades with me lately. I think it can be damaging to the show (like it was with SG1 and X-Files) and turn it into the "Bob and Mary" show, bypassing other intriging characters that I have grown to love and want to learn more about. I want ALL the characters to have a close bond and friendship so we can care for them without fighting over them every week.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat

My sister and I both play the lottery. I buy a ticket once in a while, but I never think I'm going to win. I may fantasize about what I'd do with $27 million , but I know that my winning the lottery will most probably never happen. Regardless, I enjoy the thrill of handing over my dollar for the quick-pick (they pick the numbers) ticket and hoping a little, but I feel buying my ticket is exactly like throwing money out of the window... never to be seen again. If I DO win a little something, I am very surprised and delighted. I then buy something frivolous with my unexpected windfall.

My sister has selected HER numbers using her secret, carefully-crafted system of her own design, and always buys at least a $50 ticket. She often dreams about what she will do with her winnings, and in fact, she seriously EXPECTS to win someday. She gets a little angry when her numbers do not pay off week after week, because she expects results from what she's "invested", even though the outcome is purely chance. When she wins a little something, she tells everyone that it was "her due" and the big payoff is just around the corner, and then spends her winnings on buying more tickets.

Who is the happier person in your opinion? The one who participates for fun, but stays realistic about the possible results, or the one who invests tons of time and emotions in something because she thinks that she can then control the outcome by her actions?
                      Bingo! That totally sums up my opinion (of both shipping and the lottery).

I love my preferred ship but I would never knock anyone elses.

As Madeline said, it takes 3 to make a ship, x/x/you and we all have different tastes, we are all here to enjoy ourselves, imposing our opinion on others just isn't the way we should be, we should be in it for the fun.

It facinates me though, there are pairings out there of almost every conceivable couple, in many different media, including ones for characters from different shows set in different universes. The creativity of fandom is fabulous.

FF Who wears her OTP on her sleeve.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skye1974
                        Jace and Toaster, will you both marry me?
                        Can you be everyone's OT3 ship then?

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                          I've had to step back from "ship" recently, only because I don't think its worth it. I've see shippers do the most bizarre things to promote their own ship, from raving about their fav couple, to bashing the other couple (or one partner who gets in the way), to shipping other odd pairs to get one character out of the way of their ship, and to even use multiple handles to try and make their fav ship appear more popular. I once received a PM from a shipper who wanted to know WHY I didn't see THEIR ship, and when I gave my response they replied, "But that's not a good enough reason! WHY don't you like A & D?"

I've seen a few so obsessed with their fav ship that they stop using the character names and start using the actor names and posting pictures of them from real life settings and remarking how wonderful they are together. This goes beyond "ship" - it is outright stalking.

When I stop to think about the pairing I would prefer, I realize. . .do I really want these two to smooch and hold hands every week, get married, have babies, and see all this on TV? Uh, NO. I want them to be CLOSE, but I don't want the gory details.

I have read so much terrific fanfic lately that I've come to enjoy the show for what it is, and then I can go to fanfic land for all the fantasy plots I would like my pair to engage in, like A & B having 10 beautiful blond children, with super psychic powers that will save the universe.

So, ship fades with me lately. I think it can be damaging to the show (like it was with SG1 and X-Files) and turn it into the "Bob and Mary" show, bypassing other intriging characters that I have grown to love and want to learn more about. I want ALL the characters to have a close bond and friendship so we can care for them without fighting over them every week.
                          I agree with you. The habit some have of going into other threads and actively trying to recruit new members is just weird! If you aren't happy with the number of people in your thread, talk to your real life friends and see if they're intersted in joining. Don't go into thunk or appreciation threads and try to turn people on to your way of thinking.
                          That just looks like a pathetic grab for support!

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                            I know how you feel FP... I feel the same... I'm beginning to see why some old timers are so anti-ship. I think I need a holiday from GW as well... actually I've been having a de facto one the past week for all kinds of reasons.

I don't care for it either... If anything, I think it degenerates into a soapfest and I like my scifi to be scifi.

It's strange... when you think how much the team cares about each other on the show and here we are in fandom (albeit a minority) quibbling amongst ourselves about our respective ships and then turn on one another.

If there is to be a "ship"... it should be secondary to the overall storytelling. I am more interested in Sheppard as a person rather than as a "babe magnet" or a player in a menage de trois in Stargate.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hi y'all, I speak as someone whose total involvement in ship is as follows: started an Anti Sam/Cam thread in response to someone else's Pro thread (just for a laugh, I'm not a rabid (anti)shipper, honest); have experienced the occasional goose bump in connection with Sam/Jack interaction; don't give a stuff about any other ships. My take on ship is this:

I don't really want the characters to be copping off together right left 'n' centre. I'm not bothered either way by the presence of ship in the show, though if pushed I'd say less is more. Ship is best when suggested, hinted at, used to tantalise the fandom and stimulate speculation, fantasy and best of all fanfic.

I've been enjoying the friendly rivalry between my thread and the pro thread, but it's just a bit of fun and I in no way condone those who go around biting other people's heads off because they don't share their sense of ship. Nor do I visit certain thunk threads any more because some people take it all far too seriously and jump down your throat or ignore you if you poke even the tiniest bit of fun at their chosen icon. Besides, posting pic after pic of the same guy/gal is just plain boring.
                              *end of rant*
                              sigpic
                              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                                My theory is that on some level the obsessive shipper sees that one half of the ship is the ideal romantic partner and the other person in that ship they identify with as some aspect of them self or who they wish to be.

So I guess for another ship to be advocated it can be seen as a personal slight, they subconsciously interpret that other people are saying they aren't going to get their ideal partner in life.

Does that make any kind of sense?
                                It makes sense to me! I've been finding myself increasingly interested in the psychology behind lots of aspects of fandom, including shipping and I would concur with the above. I also think tho, that there is a dynamic to the projected pairing that the shipper finds romantic, e.g. there tends to be a trend amongst S/T shippers that the John and Teyla dynamic is very mythological/romantic, he is the one that will save her people, they formed an instant bond, they feel in love despite the fact they came from different galaxies (star-crossed indeed) etc, etc. Whereas S/W shippers tend to show a trend where there is less mythological romance and it's more pragmatic romance (now I'm not sure whether that makes sense).

These are just my observations and I've probably generalised far too much, so nobody be offended. I'm putting forward the theory that what ship pairing you find attractive depends on what Blue said above, plus what you find romantic in a relationship.

I love UST for example, that means I'll find a ship pairing that has potential for UST.

In addition, Easter Lily's comment about blurring RL and fandom, I think shippers frequently blur canon and fandom. If you read a lot of shipper fics it's easy to start thinking that the characters should be the same way on the show. It's also easy to start to confuse how a fanfic writer writes a character with the character on the show, and actually like the character on the show better than you should. I did this with Sheppard. I love Melyanna and Little Red's Sheppards, they're slightly different but I love them. Compare to the "real" Sheppard, they are so much superior in terms of maturity and development. IMO. I'm sure Sheppard fans will disagree with me! But I am entitled to express concerns about a character apparently according to recent communications from moderators.

All in all, the psychology of all this is very interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X