This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
    I think after the first 5 episodes being primarily centered on Vala and Daniel, I could use a long break from her. I think Claudia Black's a great actress, but the character of Vala has gotten on my nerves for 3 out of those 5 episodes. Recurring a couple of times every season wouldn't be too bad, though. She would make a great liason for the Lucian Alliance storyline, much like Jacob was our token Tok'ra and Bra'tac is our token Jaffa, both of whom pull us back to those particular storylines every time they arrive at the SGC.
    I agree with you on all counts. I like your liaison idea.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
      I agree with you on all counts. I like your liaison idea.
      Yep. I wouldn't have appreciated Jacob or Bra'tac as much, if they had ALWAYS been around, discussing Tok'ra/Goa'uld politics or coming up with half-baked mission that only SG-1 could go on. They shook it up a little. And we ALL know that Vala's capable of that!

Comment

I agree, although Bra'tac being around for a few more "Hammond of Texas" lines wouldn't have hurt.
        Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
        Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
        Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
        Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I agree, although Bra'tac being around for a few more "Hammond of Texas" lines wouldn't have hurt.
          Oh yeah. And he'd have to wave his hand over his head a couple of those times, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 5X2
            I would love for Vala to stay.

5X2, I love you signature.

I would love for her to stay too but such is life. It'll be interesting to see how the new team integrates.

Hopefully this will be an opportunity for people to miss Vala a little, making any possible return all the better.

I'm gonna miss watching Claudia Black on Friday nights again.

Comment

Originally posted by vinzchlortho
              Yeah, Sam needs to send the idiot Vala through the stargate into a black hole so we can get on with the series! She is worthless, ergo, Farscape.

That wasn't very nice. You may think Vala's worthless--that's fine. It's the minority opinion on the "Vala should stay thread" but... whatever.

At any rate, why throw Farscape in? What does Vala have to do with Farscape?

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                That wasn't very nice. You may think Vala's worthless--that's fine. It's the minority opinion on the "Vala should stay thread" but... whatever.

At any rate, why throw Farscape in? What does Vala have to do with Farscape?
                I also would like to know the answer to this question...

Comment

Originally posted by vinzchlortho
                  Yeah, Sam needs to send the idiot Vala through the stargate into a black hole so we can get on with the series! She is worthless, ergo, Farscape.
                  Hmmzz...not a very clever, wellthought post this is hmmm (*With Yoda voice*)

In my opinion, some dislike Vala and some like Vala, that's something unavoidable. But the storylines have gone wider and now there's more room to write new stories, new perspectives.
                  New characters bring in their own history and secrets. Already you have new storylines; Jaffa Nation, Orii, Ancientsecrets etc. etc. Why complain?

greetss

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                    Hmmzz...not a very clever, wellthought post this is hmmm (*With Yoda voice*)

In my opinion, some dislike Vala and some like Vala, that's something unavoidable. But the storylines have gone wider and now there's more room to write new stories, new perspectives.
                    New characters bring in their own history and secrets. Already you have new storylines; Jaffa Nation, Orii, Ancientsecrets etc. etc. Why complain?

greetss
                    Amen Or is it "so say we all."

I think the complaining is due to people hating change. I agree--more new characters = more new stories, but I'm a fan of the new actors (Black in particular), Browder of course and I love Beau Bridges as Landry. He's like a teddy bear in a leather jacket...until he gets mad.

A show that runs 9 years, and hopes to get a couple more, needs to grow, and that growth is fueled by new relationships, just like it is in RL. I don't like change any more than the next guy but, if you're a fan of SG1-old school, then you probably should have stopped watching when O'Neill went part time. SG1-old school, likely ceased to exist at that moment. Or, stopped back when Jonas was brought on board. In RL, people do change jobs and drop out of sight--like Carter, sometimes they do come back with new knowledge and experiences that may also foster change.

SG1's producers have done a heck of a job filling in the gaps created by AT's absence and RDA's leaving. Browder, Black, and Bridges (the 3 bs!) are all formidable actors with a lot of credibility as actors, Browder and Black as genre actors as well. They're all interesting to watch and capable of portraying characters that mesh with well established folks like Daniel Jackson and Teal'c.

I just get tired of the "ergo, Farscape" mentality. Claudia Black ROCKED in Farscape, as a completely different character than the one she plays on Stargate. That post almost makes it sound like Claudia Black, the actress, made Farscape "bad" and is making Stargate, SG1 "bad". In this, I would vociferously disagree. I hope that wasn't the way it was meant, because folks here have been pretty generous towards the actors, even if they haven't always liked the characters (Lam, Mitchell, Vala, etc).

Sorry that I got a little passionate about this but that type of post really irritates me.

Comment

It's not a matter of hating change, I think. Some people just don't view the changes to SG-1 as very good changes. I can see where they're coming from, since I've seen a lot of the entertainment projects that I enjoy change for the worse (comics, Sliders, movie franchises, etc.). In SG-1's case, however, I don't agree with them. I'm enjoying season 9 a lot so far.

Comment

It's not a matter of hating change, I think. Some people just don't view the changes to SG-1 as very good changes. I can see where they're coming from, since I've seen a lot of the entertainment projects that I enjoy change for the worse (comics, Sliders, movie franchises, etc.). In SG-1's case, however, I don't agree with them. I'm enjoying season 9 a lot so far.
                        For me, The Xfiles springs to mind as "bad" changes, but those started way before Mulder left, at season 7.

Anyway!

I guess a lot of these fears will be allayed this week with the return of Carter and Vala's exit. At that point, you'll have Mitchell, whom it seems most people like or feel neutrally about, and the 3 main team members.

I'm enjoying season 9 too. My least favorite episode was The Ties that Bind--I expected a lot more and was disappointed. It's weird--I liked a lot of individual scenes quite a bit, but I didn't think the episode worked as a whole...

Comment

I think the clash of personalities with Carter would be intersting for an ep or 2, but it would tend to stagnate; as the character of Vala is doing. TPTB have made her so 0ne-dimensional that there is no room for growth. I do however think that CB is doing the best thing she can do with the character; which is to say: play it "over the top," and embrace the character for what it is: shallow, manipulative, and carefree.
                          Last edited by Ancient 1; 18 August 2005, 10:50 AM.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

My wife and I are both big fans of Vala..it'll be sad to see her go. I WISH we could have Vala AND Sam..but if that is impossible..then I do like the reaccuring character idea...just as long as it's more than 1 or 2 episdoes a season
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                              I think the clash of personalities with Carter would be intersting for an ep or 2, but it would tend to stagnate; as the character of Vala is doing. TPTB have made her so 0ne-dimensional that there is no room for growth. I do however think that CB is doing the best thing she can do with the character; which is to say: play it "over the top," and embrace the character for what it is: shallow, manipulative, and carefree.
                              It would definitely get tiresome after a while, but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to how Carter and Vala deal with each other in tomorrow's episode.

Comment

I think the clash of personalities with Carter would be intersting for an ep or 2
                                Here's another possibility....maybe Sam and Vala hit it off and become great friends. That could be a lot of fun watching opposites react to each other, possiblity find some commonality, dish the dirt.....other than Janet, Sam really hasn't had a close female friend. Who knows, maybe Vala could have a corrupting influence on Sam....she seems to excel in that.

SO looking forward to Amanda coming back to the show tomorrow night, but I'll miss Claudia when she leaves.

Comment

Working...
                                X