X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lida
    ACK! I'm sorry. Truly.

Guess I don't dislike any of the characters enough to engage in "character assassination" at this point. Give me a bit more time. Wait, I'm, not overly fond of Kavanaugh, he irritates me. Does that count?

Again, my apologies.
    LOL Well, actually, if I'm understanding the first post on this thread correctly, I think this thread is more for discussion of what bugs us about main characters on the show. And don't worry, no apologies are necessary. It was mainly my post I think your comments were directed at, and I took no offense. I know I was committing a minor heresy by saying Shep can bug me, and I know a lot of people disagree with me, but that's okay. Everybody has a different opinion of the characters, just like I love Rodney and I know he can really annoy some people. Actually, in all honesty, Rodney has been bugging me this season, because he seems like a totally different character now. I hear a lot of people saying, for example, "So and So" was great until season 6, or whatever, but us Rodney fans only had one season with our favorite! Also, I think Dex could be a character that potentially could be really, really bad, but I'm reserving judgement until after tonight's episode. My first impression is that he's going to be a Tyr Anasazi rip-off, (and I was never a big fan of Tyr and his see-through muscle shirts) but I'm hoping Runner will prove me wrong....please?

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by skye1974
      As much I appreciate your impassioned defense of Shep (and I don't mean that sarcastically), this thread is for those who don't like characters. From what I can tell, no one here is looking to be convinced otherwise.
      Exactly. I love McKay to pieces, but a lot here find him unpleasantly obnoxious. I'm not going to defend him, though, because it's a waste of time and it's off topic. I'd prefer not to see this thread be swamped with rabid Shep/Teyla/McKay/whatever fans preaching the virtues of their chosen character. That isn't what this thread is for and there are plenty of other threads where one can talk about the positive aspects of the characters. If the thread does start to get bogged down, though, I say just report it to a mod. They're very good about cleaning up and protecting threads from wildly off topic clutter.

Shep... I dunno if I'd call him a Jack clone, exactly, but he definitely has a Jack-like air about him. McKay manages to be cocky and sarcastic without sounding remotely like Jack (or not in my opinion, anyway). If Shep has to have certain traits, there should be a way to manage it so that he doesn't fall into patterns set by a certain other SG team leader. It ain't gonna happen, but it IS theoretically possible.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959
        Dont like Walter either .
        Now that's just crazy talk!

Comment

I have to say, I'm not particularly fond of Teyla. She could be such a good character if she was better conveived. Not going to get into Rachel's acting skills, cos with a bad character, it doesn't matter how good you are, no-one's going to see it. In LFP I totally agreed with John...they were there to gather valuable intel, to protect Atlantis, the Athosians and Earth, possibly this whole galaxy, NOT to rescue yet more people to a city that was about to fall under the siege of the Wraith. To be honest, she seemed a decent character in Rising; it's just a shame they've failed to move her forward in any way...

As to Weir, I wish she would just be leader. I think Intruder was the first real time we saw her assert any authority, and it's a shame it was in such a manipulative way. I think a lot of the time she defers - she'll ask someone else's opinion, so that they make the choices for her. She seems to seek the validation of her descisions from the rest of her senior staff before giving orders, at which point they really cease to be orders. As to a certain scene from The Siege III, I think she was relieved that
          Spoiler:
          Sheppard was still alive
          more because she's accutely aware that without him she wouldn't be able to maintain leadership of the expedition - he's about the only thing that really keeps her there. With him out of the picture, I think it would be significantly easier for someone else in the expedition to overthrow her authority.

Shame, cos I could actually like Weir's character if she was a stronger leading female...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
          "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Even though he's not a hero, one character I felt completely flopped was Anubis. I couldn't make myself be afraid of his superior technology or his supposed invincibility because he failed (on a personal level) to intimidate me at all. I'll admit to feeling dread when we learned we couldn't kill him, but only at the prospect of being forced to watch him for seasons to come.

Comment

Most of the Goa'uld wound up being jokes. Which was VERY disappointing. I like enemies who are as interesting and three dimensional as the heroes (theoretically) are.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                Even though he's not a hero, one character I felt completely flopped was Anubis. I couldn't make myself be afraid of his superior technology or his supposed invincibility because he failed (on a personal level) to intimidate me at all. I'll admit to feeling dread when we learned we couldn't kill him, but only at the prospect of being forced to watch him for seasons to come.
                Interesting perspective. The more I thought about Anubis, the more he seemed to be a rip-off of Sokar or the season 4/5 Apophis. It seems TPTB have tried on a few occassions to create an all-powerful Goa'uld character, one more threatening than the last, more difficult to kill, etc. What made Anubis different was that he was tied into the Daniel/Oma/ascension storyline.

Comment

Anubis was a freakin' joke! He was the least scary of all the snakeheads and frankly, I found him even sillier than Zipacna in all his feathered glory.

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                    As to Weir, I wish she would just be leader. I think Intruder was the first real time we saw her assert any authority, and it's a shame it was in such a manipulative way. I think a lot of the time she defers - she'll ask someone else's opinion, so that they make the choices for her. She seems to seek the validation of her descisions from the rest of her senior staff before giving orders, at which point they really cease to be orders. As to a certain scene from The Siege III, I think she was relieved that
                    Spoiler:
                    Sheppard was still alive
                    more because she's accutely aware that without him she wouldn't be able to maintain leadership of the expedition - he's about the only thing that really keeps her there. With him out of the picture, I think it would be significantly easier for someone else in the expedition to overthrow her authority.
                    Wow, never thought of it that way!

Shame, cos I could actually like Weir's character if she was a stronger leading female...
                    I feel exactly the same way; I want to really like her yet the characteristics that you listed above just hold me back...

Comment

Weir did show examples of being a strong leader in The Intruder when she challenged Landry. The unfortunate truth though is that she's never been given the chance so far, unless you count the scene with the Genii in The Siege Part II. Or when she cuts Kavanagh balls off in 38 Minutes. It would have been really good if we got to see a proper reaction to Sheppard ignoring her orders in The Hot Zone, but I don't think TPTB really want to consider any serious kind of Weir/Shep antagonism.

Comment

Just kind of a quick aside, a little OT: I would like to see an episode that focuses on Weir and Teyla. Both of them are the only female regulars, both of them are leaders of their people, and both of them are sorely underdeveloped. I think and episode showing how they relate to each other as women and as leaders would go a long way into developing their characters and taking care of a lot of the complaints I (and I'm sure others) have about them.

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
                        McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
                        Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
                        McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                          Just kind of a quick aside, a little OT: I would like to see an episode that focuses on Weir and Teyla. Both of them are the only female regulars, both of them are leaders of their people, and both of them are sorely underdeveloped. I think and episode showing how they relate to each other as women and as leaders would go a long way into developing their characters and taking care of a lot of the complaints I (and I'm sure others) have about them.
                          Oh yes please! TPTB are you watching??

I'd really like to see Elizabeth and Teyla team up and solve the "major problem of the week" like Shep and Rodney do all the time. That would do wonders for my opinion of both characters.

Comment

Sheppard is my fav character in SGA, but he is also the most infuriating one as well. With O'Neill we had the backstory of the issue with his son, therefore we knew what drove him to behave the way he did. With Sheppard we know very little backstory so we really don't know what drives the guy. He doesn't follow procedures. . .why? Does he have any family? We know one incident where he rescued someone against orders, which has seemed hardly something that would scar you forever or make you disrepect your superiors. We are now into Season 2 and we still know nothing and it is becoming quite irritating. But JF is still the best looking guy around.

Teyla. . grrr. LFP killed her for me. I was really trying to like her but she showed such horrid disrespect for Sheppard, and went so far out of her way to endanger her own people and everyone on Atlantis, that I totally dropped her from my radar screen. I've now seen 3 episodes of SGA in Season 2 and she has done nothing but stand around (the few times we've seen her) in her "new" belly-baring tops, doing nothing. Three strikes, you're out. .right? Ooops, wrong sport.

Must mention Anubis. . always hated Anubis. Sokar was much better, and killed off way too soon.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I like this thread I can actually say I dislike a character. Very cool. Anyway there is only one character I can't stand and that's Weir. I hope they continue to give her little to do as they did in The Runner. She shouldn't have a big role. She has the persoanlity of a dishrag and everytime she comes on screen I look forward to when she walks off. She adds very little to the exitement and adventure of the show. She has a role but it should be simmilar to the one General Hammond had. Give the orders and then sit back and watch the real show take place. Just my opinion. But it's nice to see I actually have the right to one.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Beckett is too whiney for me. And he does the whole wide-eyed look of utter incomprehension too often. It's all TOO new, TOO weird, and TOO much for me. Cute guy and a sweet character... when he's allowed to be. But if they keep playing up the Trek riffs with him... bleah. Enough is enough. A joke is only funny the FIRST time.
                                You know I get that. I think if Beckett is to be more in the show they will have to get rid of the wide eyed crap. The I am so innocent. Ahhh! Well I guess he has held a gun a few times but I don't think ever fired. He needs a back bone ASAP!

[Weir... I dunno. She's really good sometimes and absolutely blah other times.
                                I really liked the origanial actor. I want compare that is not on but I will say I have never warmed to her and I usally like female leads I loved Star Trek's Capt Janeway for example. The writers may have to take the blame here, Weir is not likeable enough. Hmm, yes I don't think I like her, WOW. Revelation.

Daniel doesn't do it for me anymore, either. I know characters have to grow and change and I know that he's been through incredible amounts of stuff
                                Danny is a love/hate thing with me I love the eager boyish Danny, not the Grunt take on the world and everything else Danny, sure people grow but hell not that much! Not that soon. Haven't seen Season 9 so can't compare him with a new leader and no Jack but I think his best days are over.

Telya (not Rachel) annoyes me she is so bland. It hurts to listen to her sometimes and often I just fast forward past her, aw that's mean but I do!

Ford I kinda like but he needs to grow up a little he is 25-26 that is old enough not to be so bloody stupid.

McKay OMG where do I start. Only kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X