No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Argh the dodgy wigs are out again lol
      Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
      If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

but her eyes are so pretty in that picture
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
          Argh the dodgy wigs are out again lol
          Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
          but her eyes are so pretty in that picture
          i'll take the wig, if it means sam is blonde!
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Amanda tweeting her reaction to XFChemist bday vid

I'm smiling! xo RT @XFchemist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUJTkfB020 ... @amandatapping probably won't see it but maybe someone else out there will smile

Comment

Comment

Sam look SO unimpressed by Maybourne here.

And yes. The wig. urg! actually, due to the massive discussion on another thread, all I could think was...hair over the ears! wisps all over the place! SO not regulation!

Does anyone feel that her makeup was "pinker" in the last two seasons? I think that's why her eyes are bluer...

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                  Sam look SO unimpressed by Maybourne here.

And yes. The wig. urg! actually, due to the massive discussion on another thread, all I could think was...hair over the ears! wisps all over the place! SO not regulation!

Does anyone feel that her makeup was "pinker" in the last two seasons? I think that's why her eyes are bluer...
                  I'm not sure, I never really paid any attention to it but that SGA pic does show her wearing pink lipstick rather than the orange kind she used in the early years of SG-1, so perhaps she changed to pink? I do recall her eye makeup changing over the course of the show which probably brought out her eyes more but not sure if her overall visage was pinker and/or her eyes bluer in specifically the last two seasons (I avoid them, as I don't like 'em).
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Comment

Ok so I'm curious...I tried to find out online but the only talk of AT and wigs was about the beginning of Sanctuary but everybody keeps saying she wore a wig as Sam. How do we know this? :s
                      sigpic

----------
                      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
                        Ok so I'm curious...I tried to find out online but the only talk of AT and wigs was about the beginning of Sanctuary but everybody keeps saying she wore a wig as Sam. How do we know this? :s
                        Because it's very obvious? She only wore it on a few occasions, like playing an alternate version of Sam and in the SGA finale because AT's hair had already been dyed for Sanctuary at the time.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                          Because it's very obvious? She only wore it on a few occasions, like playing an alternate version of Sam and in the SGA finale because AT's hair had already been dyed for Sanctuary at the time.
                          If I thought it was obvious, I wouldn't have asked. I really don't see a big difference.

As for the "wisps" and such I don't think regulations dictate you can't have a little style and her hair never looked unkempt.

Regs only say "Hair will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck." So hair "over her ears" wouldn't matter.

All that being said...she still looked fabulous!

(No snark intended )
                          Last edited by IamDKScully; 01 September 2013, 05:22 PM. Reason: typo fix and disclaimer added
                          sigpic

----------
                          FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

If I thought it was obvious, I wouldn't have asked. I really don't see a big difference.

As for the "wisps" and such I don't think regulations dictate you can't have a little style and her hair never loomed unkempt.

Regs only say "Hair will not be worn in an extreme or fad style or violate safety requirements. Will not extend in length on all sides below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground at the bottom edge of the shirt collar at the back of the neck." So hair "over her ears" wouldn't matter.

All that being said...she still looked fabulous!
                            Hair is my pet peeve when it comes to shows and movies depicting the military, so I'll address this. The regulations are the bare minimum. Various branches have their own guidelines within those regulations. The main goal of the hair regulations are to maintain uniformity and safety in the workplace. Hairstyles should be neat and tidy, in accordance with general military standards of cleanliness. Basically, hair should be kept with the same care as their uniforms and quarters.

So Sam's hair in early season 4-- no. The fact that Sam had her hair in a simple ponytail (that was clearly longer than the bottom edge of her collar) in the finale of SGA is also a no-no. However, if she had just been called in for the emergency situation, and hadn't the time to fix her hair, the priority is clearly on saving the planet, not her hair. But when I watch the scene where Sam says goodbye to Teal'c before she heads off to Atlantis, all I see is that messy tucked braid with the elastic showing and STILL dipping below her collar.

There's a delicate line regarding "style" vs "fad". Anything considered eccentric is off-limits, or anything intended to break uniformity is frowned upon. And then there is simple perception to consider.

Having been a service member myself with the United States Marine Corps (the branch which has the strictest enforced hair regulations, I've found), I can tell you that if a fellow Marine came up to me with her hair wispy and her hair left over her ears, I would have perceived her to be lazy and unthoughtful. Clearly, she didn't put forth the time and effort to make herself presentable, and here she is walking around in my uniform? I don't think so. Even if it technically in violation of the regs.

Given Sam's meticulous nature in terms of her work, and her dedication to her career, I find every disheveled "style" completely out of character for her. I don't think she would've let a single hair be left out of place. And it wouldn't have been difficult for the production team to get it right. All they need to do is get a servicemember's perspective. Or get them to do the hair themselves in those episodes.

If anyone on here has served in the Air Force, and feels that those messier styles are acceptable, please chime in. As I said, I come from the Corps, so I'm a bit more anal about it. I've seen people in the Navy with even worse hair than Sam, and apparently they can get away with it, so I guess it could also depend on the command and the unit, rather than the branch of service.

Comment

My brother was a Marine!

Given your history, I can understand the pet peeve. And, you're probably right about early season 4 pushing it. But, stylistically it was better than the butch cut she got at midpoint in the season. IMHO. I still don't understand that move!

They probably should've made her hair a bit cleaner looking for the command scenes late in SGA, but since Atlantis was not supposed to be a military expedition, the rules while commanding the city were a bit more relaxed it seems. I mean how often was Sam even in uniform?
                              sigpic

----------
                              FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

My brother was a Marine!

Given your history, I can understand the pet peeve. And, you're probably right about early season 4 pushing it. But, stylistically it was better than the butch cut she got at midpoint in the season. IMHO. I still don't understand that move!

They probably should've made her hair a bit cleaner looking for the command scenes late in SGA, but since Atlantis was not supposed to be a military expedition, the rules while commanding the city were a bit more relaxed it seems. I mean how often was Sam even in uniform?
                                Actually I really liked the way Sam's hair was generally styled in Atlantis. The more relaxed look was more fitting to her maturity, the command she had, and the personality of the city. You have a good point about the point of her not being in uniform; if she had been, the hair would not have worked out.

And actually the butch cut in mid-season 4 was appealing to me, as it's a style I'm more familiar with. As pretty as her cut is in the early seasons, it would have required a lot of care to get it looking like that, and keep it so. The "butch" cut is a lot easier to maintain on a time-crunched schedule, which a lot of my Marine friends preferred over the longer cropped cuts.

I myself kept my long hair, even in basic, so I know for a fact that it's perfectly possible to have presentable hair of all lengths. From what I can tell, the most difficult length is that in-between stage, when those with short hair try to grow out their hair. When it's too long to remain unpinned and stay above the collar, but too short to do anything with it. But they actually make hairpieces now that look like perfect sock buns, but actually just clip into your hair. It's pretty cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X