Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If sam must've known somewhere deep down jack was right or she would have protested more, me thinks.
    I really don't think so...Protesting out loud would've alerted Fifth that something was amiss. So there were only really two sides she could've taken: with Fifth, or with Jack. No middle ground there.

(New Order, Gemini)
    Spoiler:
    What happened in Gemini proves that Sam doesn't always trust Jack's assessment of the situation. And New Order shows that Jack was wrong, at least about the thought that by leaving Fifth behind they were taking care of the problem. The worst that would've happened if he'd come with them would be the unleashing of an evil replicator on the galaxy, which ended up happening anyway in New Order. And if they'd brought Fifth with them, chances are he actually would've been what he seemed to be: sweet and helpful. Of course Jack couldn't know this...but being kidnapped and mind-raped by a replicator because you followed an order might tend to affect your trust in the wisdom of the order-giver, at least in situations dealing with the replicators. I think that might've been part of the reason Sam allowed Replicarter such free access to her mind and the computers against Jack's urging, because she had already once recieved the consequences of Jack's repliphobic mindset.

Comment

Apparently...his unofficial backstory is this:

He was convicted of stealing cars and joyriding, and was given a choice of Jail or one of the Armed Forces.

Remember other drugs comments...

The Devil you Know

Jack: And then they gave me something...that reminded me of the seventies...

The Light

Jackwhen he's told he's addicted to the Light) After all those years of just saying no
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
        I agree about that presentation of Jack's dark Side. He didn't seem to want to believe there was any good in the little feller.
        I'm not so sure about that. IMO it's not a question about him not wanting to believe there could be any good in Fifth, he simply couldn't risk it. His one and only priority was to get the time device working and bring his team home safely and in order to achive that goal he was willing to risk losing a potentially powerful ally in Fifth. Better safe than sorry, so to speak.

Comment

Remember too whenever Daniel was addicted to the sarcophagus in Season Two's "Need":

O'NEILL: DANIEL! God...What are you going to do, DANIEL? Do you want to kill me? Oh God, look at you. I know what this is. I know what it's like. You can get through it...

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
            His one and only priority was to get the time device working and bring his team home safely and in order to achive that goal he was willing to risk losing a potentially powerful ally in Fifth. Better safe than sorry, so to speak.
            "And what about that pesky moral stuff?"
            -Jack, Spirits

I agree that he thought it was necessary for the reasons you gave, but he didn't even really consider the moral issue. That's what makes it "dark" to me.

(Zero Hour)
            Spoiler:
            Jack was even ready to let Camulus go, with the justification that he "made a deal." This is from the man who said long ago that he would "never trust a goa'uld." Even the goa'uld get Jack's honorable side, but Fifth was collateral damage. Jack wasn't saying "it's what I had to do," he said it was "the right thing."

Comment

Originally posted by fan of jack
              If sam must've known somewhere deep down jack was right or she would have protested more, me thinks. I can't see this causing sam to lose trust in jack, shes always trusted him, disagreed with him but always trusted him!
              I think that Sam knew that any protestations would fall on deaf ears. When Jack makes up his mind, he rarely changes it. I don't believe Sam was even remotely comfortable with the idea of leaving Fifth.....and I don't think she ever truly came to terms with it. But Jack was her commanding officer....period. Just my opinion.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by girlgater
                Remember too whenever Daniel was addicted to the sarcophagus in Season Two's "Need":

O'NEILL: DANIEL! God...What are you going to do, DANIEL? Do you want to kill me? Oh God, look at you. I know what this is. I know what it's like. You can get through it...

"Hey, I've done the whole drugged out, strapped to the bed thing..."

Not exactly sure to what he might be referring to here, but certainly an insight into his darker side. I think another ep that shows 'dark jack' is Shades of Grey from Season 3. I know he's only acting, but the way he completly blows out his team and steals the technology... it's very believable. We wouldn't be taken in if we didn't suspect Jack had this dark side.

Comment

I don't think this is "dark" in the normal sense, but the way Jack treated Rothman in Forever in a Day really bothered me. Jack is loyal to "his" people to the point of cliquishness. If he didn't like Rothman, he certainly didn't have to freeze him out and lie about him. Then when Daniel returned, the way he said "You're being replaced" without any attempt at explanation or concern for Rothman seems like a darker bit of Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                    I agree that he thought it was necessary for the reasons you gave, but he didn't even really consider the moral issue. That's what makes it "dark" to me.
                    Two points by way of explanation, not excuse:
                    No time
                    No Daniel (Daniel used to consider the moral issues for Jack)

Comment

Originally posted by Feli
                      No Daniel (Daniel used to consider the moral issues for Jack)
                      I think Daniel's had a major effect on Jack in that respect (even in a non-slashy way, mind you). You see in the film, how Jack was totally prepared to blow Abydos, but it was Daniel's efforts that helped him realize that there was an alternative...
                      Daniel is Jack's conscience...he's the one that gives Jack options, shows him other ways of doing things. I think if Daniel wasn't such a major influence in Jack's life, we'd see a lot more of "dark" moments from Jack.
                      Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

I don't think Jack had any moral issue with leaving Fifth behind because Fifth was a machine. Yes, he had a "humanish" presence that was basically good until he was betrayed, but he was still a machine.

Comment

Daniel is Jack's conscience...he's the one that gives Jack options, shows him other ways of doing things. I think if Daniel wasn't such a major influence in Jack's life, we'd see a lot more of "dark" moments from Jack.
                          I agree, though Daniel has also (by being Jack's foil) showed off some of his darker moments, as in Red Sky, Beast of Burden, Scorched Earth, Menace, etc.

Comment

I will admit there are darkside to Jack but it good side outweights his bad. It makes him a better character and daniel is his "better half" if he was dark then sam would never have taken thier relationship so high.

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                              I agree, though Daniel has also (by being Jack's foil) showed off some of his darker moments, as in Red Sky, Beast of Burden, Scorched Earth, Menace, etc.
                              Definitely...because Daniel is the type to look for options, it only makes it more obvious that what Jack is doing might not exactly be right...

The Other Side is the best ep for showing that, IMHO. Jack's willing to jump into bed with the psycho Eurondans, and Daniel clearly knows that something's up...if it weren't for Daniel's opinion, it wouldn't be nearly as obvious that Jack wasn't exactly thinking things through the way he should've been.
                              Co-President of F.O.R.D. My SG-1 Slashfiction MyLiveJournal

Comment

Great comments all. I have to agree about The Other Side... that one is perhaps the coldest example in my mind... the camera staring into his dark, cold, unremorseful eyes... chilly. There's no room for doubt what he is doing and you know that look is coming from somewhere very deep and very buried.

Ravinia

Comment

Working...
                                X