Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    Oh very well put, absolutely! I've always thought particularly the Small Victories one, because Sam and Jack are suddenly much more relaxed-flirty afterwards (at least until we get Upgrades and D&C and the forceshield). I'd love to know what happened, but you're right, it's every bit as much a part of storytelling to know where to leave the blanks and the hints as when to spell things out. And we have fanfic to speculate
    I noticed it as well ... the lack of tension, way more relaxed after their week on P3X-whatever after "Small Victories". I remember wondering what the heck happened during that week between episodes for them to feel so comfy with each other. And always wondered why Teal'c grew that blond goatee while they were gone, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
      I probably couldn't but the oddness of SG-1 is the reason why a Special Forces soldier, someone who works in a medical field, and who knows what else can discuss the relationship between two characters of a show. I'm not a bleeding heart kind of guy, I doubt any other TV show would pique my interest in this aspect of it as much as SG-1 one has.
      Oh, yeah! My true love is science fiction, but I like a nice angsty romance every now and then... My favorite book is The Andromeda Strain and the second is Wuthering Heights. So pretty much I was a goner when I latched onto Stargate.
      Oh dear, have I gone on about that that much? I'll be interested to see if you do pick up on it then, or if it is just me
      AFAIK, you mentioned it once- but the idea intrigued me and so I filed it under Things I Need to Watch For...
      Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      I noticed it as well ... the lack of tension, way more relaxed after their week on P3X-whatever after "Small Victories". I remember wondering what the heck happened during that week between episodes for them to feel so comfy with each other. And always wondered why Teal'c grew that blond goatee while they were gone, too.
      I think they got into that planet's equivalent of tequila, personally. Anejo tequila, the kind that won't give you a hangover.

Comment

Oh dear, have I gone on about that that much? I'll be interested to see if you do pick up on it then, or if it is just me
        Is one of your signatures a picture of Sam's butt?
        sigpic
        In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
        "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Is one of your signatures a picture of Sam's butt?
          Odds are good that it's Jack's.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
            And again this week I get the pleasure to welcome you on the thread.
            You are everywhere! (which is of course a very good thing )
            LOL, or just a sign that I spend way too much time on GW. But thanks for the welcome!

Originally posted by VSS View Post
            Heh. So did I, until now.
            I don't even watch TV anymore. That's how not-into-shipping I am, in general.
            I think my main difficulty with shipping is how moments of concern and/or admiration between characters are so often interpreted as being shippy, when to me at least, there doesn't seem to be any romantic overtones to the scene. The moment that stands for me of this was in SGA's s5 The Prodigal (in spoilers just in case),
            Spoiler:
            when Ronon compliments Banks on her fighting ability. The boards were suddenly filled with people talking about a Ronon/Amelia ship, which the writers seemed to be confirming in Enemy at the Gates. And all the while I was left going .

sigpic

Comment

Solitudes

Fave Quote:
              Sam: (about Jack's cracked rib) Why didn't you tell me?
              Jack: I was afraid you'd try to splint it.

Was Daniel unconscious before he came through the gate or after he landed?

Once Jack's awake, Sam gives him the rundown of what she's found so far. How long was he out? I'm guessing more than a minute or two as Sam's already checked him out and reckons he has a broken leg, and done a quick check of where they are.

Is this the first ep we see Siler as a character with lines? (and without his wrench )

When Sam's splinting Jack's leg, she's wincing for him.

I think this is when we hare about Jack's capture? He states that he had a parchuting accident and fractured his skull. He says there was no rescue and he had to make it out on his own. He doesn't actually state he was captured or tortured. Is that part fanon or canon? I could've sworn it was canon, and I'm thinking it was the episode with the black hole connected to earth that it comes out? Anyways, he tells Sam that it was Sara that got him through it, the need to see her again.

I love the 'blooper' from this episode where AT throws in a few extra lines about him being MacGyver and he should be able to get them out of here.

When he climbs up after Sam begins chipping into the ice, he admits he may have cracked a rib. She immediatly wants to know why he didn't tell her. She's the 'assigned medic' on the team is she not? I like the way she immediatly demands to know why he didn't tell her, even though he is her CO. Instead of ignoring her, he cracks a feeble joke but moves on. Honestly is there anything she could've done for a potential cracked rib? When I had mine they gave me some drugs and told me to take it easy.

After the gate is dialed and shots are fired at the probe, Hammond orders the wormhole disconnected and the rescue mission scrubbed. Daniel and Teal'c are there, ready to go on the rescue and instead are left staring blankly at the gate. Teal'c's expression doesn't give much away but Daniel looks shocked and defeated.

The next scene between Daniel and Teal'c has Daniel seemingly refusing to believe that they may be dead. He's assuming that Sam and Jack may have been diverted to another planet, and wants to norrow down the possible sites. Sam is on the same page, thinking that they are stranded together and Daniel and Teal'c are stranded elsewhere. I don't understand why they would automatically assume that. I can guess that Sam would think of it, but Daniel?

After Sam attempts to dial the gate, she wants to dig down to the control crystal in the DHD but Jack reminds her that they've been awake for a long time. Does Jack suggest rest for his benefit or because he wants Sam to rest? Does Sam agree to take a rest as she needs one or because she thinks Jack needs to? I think Jack suggests it for Sam's sake, and she agree's for his sake, otherwise she would have kept going.

How do you think the conversation went down when it came to snuggling up? Was it just a case of only one blanket? Or did either one of them suggest it for warmth? In answer to Jack's query about what to say if they are found like that, Sam responds it was for warmth. Was there even a discussion or did Jack lie down, and Sam just lay next to him?

I love the sidearm comment, and when Jack tells Sam "no giggling."

When he wakes up, Sam gives him the bad news about internal bleeding, frostbite etc. Sam begins to doubt herself and apologizes for not getting them out yet. Jack tells her to leave him and go to the surface. Jack knows it's bad, he knows that without medical attention he probably won't live if he has internal bleeding. He wants Sam to have a chance to survive, maybe make it home. I can only think of a few other times where Jack gives up, the other time being Abyss. Anyone think of any others?

When Jack calls her Sam, and tells her it was an honour, she doesn't argue. Is she just trying to pacify/humour him, hoping to get help for them both, or does she believe he is saying his last words to her?

Sam realises it's an ice planet and heads back to Jack. When he mutters Sara she tells him she's here. I think she only does that because he told her earlier that Sara got him through his accident in Iraq. Had he not given her that tidbit of information I don't think she would have reacted and she only did it to help his delusion. He's obviously out of it, and agitating him probably wouldn't make things better for him.

I always liked this episode, and still do. I wonder what TPTB were thinking when they decided to have a second gate. I think by this time they had been signed to do 2 seasons but I can't remember if the second gate comes into play before the second season ends.

When a gate is conncected to a DHD doesn't it supercede the other gate? Shouldn't the Antarctic gate come 'first' as the SGC gate isn't connected to a DHD, or is this one of the programs that had to be overcome when they got the stargate working. Didn't the Russians at some point connect the gate they end up with to a DHD and it immediatly became the premier gate?

Implications for Sam and Jack: They're standed on what they think is another planet, Jack badly injured. Sam cares for him as she would any other team mate but I think this experience brings them closer to each other as friends. She learns another piece of his past and one of his special ops missions. I think her respect for him goes up even more, and also how much she cares for him. (not in a romantic way....)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                LOL, or just a sign that I spend way too much time on GW. But thanks for the welcome!

I think my main difficulty with shipping is how moments of concern and/or admiration between characters are so often interpreted as being shippy, when to me at least, there doesn't seem to be any romantic overtones to the scene. The moment that stands for me of this was in SGA's s5 The Prodigal (in spoilers just in case),
                Spoiler:
                when Ronon compliments Banks on her fighting ability. The boards were suddenly filled with people talking about a Ronon/Amelia ship, which the writers seemed to be confirming in Enemy at the Gates. And all the while I was left going .
                SGA Season 5:

Spoiler:
                I'm with you on that one... I found shipping more rampant in SGA and most of the time I was scratching my head. I do ship a couple in SGA, but it took a season or two before I did...

For the S/J ship...My first ep was Entity and I watched the next day because I wanted to see what would happen between the two of them, if they were together, if they were going to get together, or if it was just something I was seeing as I hadn't seen the entire show. That was in season 4. I've never watched the entire series in order like I did SGA, so part of this rewatch for me is to see when I see the ship become more than just a friendship.
                sigpic

Comment

I have been thinking about this Episode after some recent tragic events here. There is a special bond that develops between members of special forces teams after life or death situations. Would this bond develop into a romantic one if the persons involved were male-female? I don't know the answer, I don't know if we will learn it soon either, no women would want to join us. We're a bunch of immature perverted chauves and we're the most polite of the special forces bunch, you should hear what SEAL's talk about.

PS: I'm pretty sure that isn't a guy's butt, I have seen enough of those to last a lifetime and it doesn't look like that.
                  sigpic
                  "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Spoiler:
                    I agree in general with what you're saying. For example, there are S/J shippers who love Descent. Try as I might I see no. ship. at. all. in that episode.

Now, having said that I also think that one can't just take a subtle scene in isolation and deduce whether it's shippy or not, and one certainly can't go by the dialogue alone. It has to be taken in the context of the history of both the relationship between the two characters and the show in general. For instance, if Ronon never said more than two or three words at a time, or was a self-centered geek, then I'd interpret that scene as shippy, because I would think it very unusual and needed an explanation. (I didn't watch much S5 of SGA so those are just theoretical points ).

That's why on this rewatch I was a little surprised by the overtones in Solitudes. Does Jack usually make the kinds of comments that he made when they were literally sleeping together? No, he doesn't. I think I can count on one hand the number of sexually suggestive comments he's made to someone in ten seasons. Both hands for all suggestive comments. Now, if it were, say Jayne in Firefly I wouldn't give it another thought. He easily says that many in a single episode.
                    But, I still think Solitudes is mostly about friendship.

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                    [COLOR="Blue"]Solitudes
                    When he climbs up after Sam begins chipping into the ice, he admits he may have cracked a rib. She immediatly wants to know why he didn't tell her. She's the 'assigned medic' on the team is she not? I like the way she immediatly demands to know why he didn't tell her, even though he is her CO. Instead of ignoring her, he cracks a feeble joke but moves on. Honestly is there anything she could've done for a potential cracked rib? When I had mine they gave me some drugs and told me to take it easy.
                    She is the team medic, and as such I think she's somewhat able to give orders in that regard, although I'm not sure. (Maybe Coela knows ). I think, in an unofficial capacity, she's rightfully peeved that he's not telling her everything and maybe just doesn't care if she's being disrespectful. Anyway, there isn't anything to be done for a couple of broken ribs- but that isn't all he has. If he's coughing up blood he's punctured a lung. That's VERY serious, and it's possible that a doctor could treat that in the field with just a large-bore IV needle to keep him from collapsing the lung on that side, but I guess Sam can't. When she says he's bleeding internally, that's what she means. And he looks it- he's turning this really sick shade of bluish gray. That's from the low oxygen levels. As I said earlier, RDA and the makeup crew did a really great job here.

After Sam attempts to dial the gate, she wants to dig down to the control crystal in the DHD but Jack reminds her that they've been awake for a long time. Does Jack suggest rest for his benefit or because he wants Sam to rest? Does Sam agree to take a rest as she needs one or because she thinks Jack needs to? I think Jack suggests it for Sam's sake, and she agree's for his sake, otherwise she would have kept going.
                    I think Jack suggests it because he's had it and it's a really alarming thing for him to admit he's tired. I thought, uh oh, he's really sick.

I can only think of a few other times where Jack gives up, the other time being Abyss. Anyone think of any others?
                    Brief Candle. I just learned that!

When a gate is conncected to a DHD doesn't it supercede the other gate? Shouldn't the Antarctic gate come 'first' as the SGC gate isn't connected to a DHD, or is this one of the programs that had to be overcome when they got the stargate working. Didn't the Russians at some point connect the gate they end up with to a DHD and it immediatly became the premier gate?
                    Yes, the gate with the DHD supercedes the one without, but this DHD was not functional. SHe had to reboot it first, I believe. When it's able to actually connect to the gate and still fails is when she really gets upset.

I have been thinking about this Episode after some recent tragic events here. There is a special bond that develops between members of special forces teams after life or death situations. Would this bond develop into a romantic one if the persons involved were male-female? I don't know the answer, I don't know if we will learn it soon either, no women would want to join us. We're a bunch of immature perverted chauves and we're the most polite of the special forces bunch, you should hear what SEAL's talk about.
                    Don't you think the presence of Daniel and Sam (and maybe Teal'c) keeps the civility level a little higher than it would if there were four Jacks on that team? I think that it does! (Even though they have to behave somewhat, because it's SciFi, not a Pr0n channel).

PS: I'm pretty sure that isn't a guy's butt, I have seen enough of those to last a lifetime and it doesn't look like that.
                    Well, considering where you are, it would certainly be understandable if you projected Sam's butt onto Josiane's sig. I think even I would by now!
                    Last edited by VSS; 10 May 2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I agree in general with what you're saying. For example, there are S/J shippers who love Descent. Try as I might I see no. ship. at. all. in that episode.
                      Neither did I. For me in general, for a scene to be 'shippy' it needs to have a definite romantic/personal relationship tone to it, otherwise I just chalk it up to friendship and camaraderie between teammates.

Now, having said that I also think that one can't just take a subtle scene in isolation and deduce whether it's shippy or not, and one certainly can't go by the dialogue alone. It has to be taken in the context of the history of both the relationship between the two characters and the show in general. For instance, if Ronon never said more than two or three words at a time, or was a self-centered geek, then I'd interpret that scene as shippy, because I would think it very unusual and needed an explanation. (I didn't watch much S5 of SGA so those are just theoretical points ).
                      More SGA s5
                      Spoiler:

I definitely agree you can't take scenes in isolation. Sam and Jack in Divide and Conquer wouldn't make any sense unless you took into account scenes from 100 Days, Point of View, etc.

As for Ronon and Banks, as far as I can remember they had never been in a scene together, or exchanged words, until that scene, hence my utter confusion at the ship. And Ronon's definitely not a 'love at first sight' kind of guy.

That's why on this rewatch I was a little surprised by the overtones in Solitudes. Does Jack usually make the kinds of comments that he made when they were literally sleeping together? No, he doesn't. I think I can count on one hand the number of sexually suggestive comments he's made to someone in ten seasons. Both hands for all suggestive comments. Now, if it were, say Jayne in Firefly I wouldn't give it another thought. He easily says that many in a single episode.
                      For me, Solitudes was very much about solidifying Sam and Jack's friendship, showing a progression from Children of the Gods where he was pretty much forced to accept her onto his team. Jack had formed a friendship of sorts with Daniel from the movie, and had almost instantly bonded with Teal'c in COTG and Enemy Within, but I think until Solitudes Jack always considered Sam to be just a teammate, though a close and trusted one for sure.

I think the experience of relying entirely on each other for survival in such adverse conditions and essentially facing death together forged a more personal bond between them. I think this was the first time you really got to see bonding between Sam and Jack, not just as teammates, but as people.

And I always thought Jack's rather suggestive remarks in this episode were him just trying to lighten the mood, as well a sort of extension on the tank top comment from Broca Divide. It wasn't the first time he'd made a suggestive remark towards Sam.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, Jack makes quite a few comments per episode, maybe you just can't see them.

She is the team medic, and as such I think she's somewhat able to give orders in that regard, although I'm not sure. (Maybe Coela knows ). I think, in an unofficial capacity, she's rightfully peeved that he's not telling her everything and maybe just doesn't care if she's being disrespectful. Anyway, there isn't anything to be done for a couple of broken ribs- but that isn't all he has. If he's coughing up blood he's punctured a lung. That's VERY serious, and it's possible that a doctor could treat that in the field with just a large-bore IV needle to keep him from collapsing the lung on that side, but I guess Sam can't. When she says he's bleeding internally, that's what she means. And he looks it- he's turning this really sick shade of bluish gray. That's from the low oxygen levels. As I said earlier, RDA and the makeup crew did a really great job here.

You can to a degree tell your CO what to do but by no means are you in charge of what they actually do. Often a CO will insist that others be treated first even though it is better for everyone if the CO stays alive to keeping things running. It all depends on how "alive" the CO is, if he is in bad shape the medic will often just bat off his hand and slap him with a shot of morphine and go to work. Considering Jack was still mobile at that point Sam could tell him what to do but she couldn't make him do anything.

I think Jack suggests it because he's had it and it's a really alarming thing for him to admit he's tired. I thought, uh oh, he's really sick.

Brief Candle. I just learned that!

Yes, the gate with the DHD supercedes the one without, but this DHD was not functional. SHe had to reboot it first, I believe. When it's able to actually connect to the gate and still fails is when she really gets upset.

Don't you think the presence of Daniel and Sam (and maybe Teal'c) keeps the civility level a little higher than it would if there were four Jacks on that team? I think that it does! (Even though they have to behave somewhat, because it's SciFi, not a Pr0n channel).

I'm sure that Jack had orders to keep it clean and respectful around the lady. We had to too when we rode on a commercial airliner with some very attractive female airforce hostesses. It didn't stop us from finding every single way around it. For someone who can field strip, clean, and reassemble an M16 in less than 30 seconds, I sure drop things a lot.

Well, considering where you are, it would certainly be understandable if you projected Sam's butt onto Josiane's sig. I think even I would by now!
                        Arrrrrg! I need women! Just kidding, I'm doing O.K. right now. In comparison to most of the guys my need for the gentler (yeah right) sex is abated by my enjoyment of warfighting.
                        sigpic

Comment

For me, Solitudes was very much about solidifying Sam and Jack's friendship, showing a progression from Children of the Gods where he was pretty much forced to accept her onto his team. Jack had formed a friendship of sorts with Daniel from the movie, and had almost instantly bonded with Teal'c in COTG and Enemy Within, but I think until Solitudes Jack always considered Sam to be just a teammate, though a close and trusted one for sure.

I think the experience of relying entirely on each other for survival in such adverse conditions and essentially facing death together forged a more personal bond between them. I think this was the first time you really got to see bonding between Sam and Jack, not just as teammates, but as people.

And I always thought Jack's rather suggestive remarks in this episode were him just trying to lighten the mood, as well a sort of extension on the tank top comment from Broca Divide. It wasn't the first time he'd made a suggestive remark towards Sam.
                          I do agree with you that its solidifying their friendship, with these two (for me) it's not a case of either friendship or romance, one lead to the other over time. They are friends and I love that about this show, and this is one of the eps where you begin to see that friendship strengthening, as you say it wasn't instantaneous it was earned and evolved over time.
                          Personally I do love this ep, and I do find it *slightly* shippy but only slightly, it's still really early on. For me most of the "ship" is on Sam's part - although some of that might be because Jack's kinda dying for most of the ep - her determination and her pain at failing to rescue Jack does have resonances with the ship for me. I'm definitely not saying that its *all* ship that she's not trying to get him home beause it's her job/ he's her friend/CO/teammate. I'm just saying that even by this point I think it is a factor in there.

CB that's definitely Jack's butt (I'm guessing you're refering to Josiane's MOB sig) - from Last Stand(??)
                          sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I definitely agree you can't take scenes in isolation. Sam and Jack in Divide and Conquer wouldn't make any sense unless you took into account scenes from 100 Days, Point of View, etc.
                            Oh, absolutely. And just as important as these big scenes are a ton of little comments and bits of scenes, and a lot of people miss those, including me. For instance, who would think Jack calling Sam "Sam" means anything at all? Only if you know he never usually does it. He sells a house, his truck and a motorcycle in early season 9, only he doesn't own a motorcycle- but Sam does. Or why, in Continuum
                            Spoiler:
                            of all the poignant things they could have shown to illustrate how her life has been utterly destroyed in the AU timeline, they chose to show her buying fruit loops! That is a direct reference to Window of Opportunity.
                            That's why i love this ship. There's a level of detail involved in it that is really quite interesting, and that's why I'm running this rewatch.

And then there are things the directors do with these two that could be the subject of another thread- oh wait I think there is another thread like that. That's how the Martin Wood worship got started around here, IIRC.

As for Ronon and Banks, as far as I can remember they had never been in a scene together, or exchanged words, until that scene, hence my utter confusion at the ship. And Ronon's definitely not a 'love at first sight' kind of guy.
                            See, that's the kind of thing I would have no interest in at all because there's no depth to the story. Sam and Jack have over ten years of history so they can develop it like it might have in RL. I'm not saying I don't believe in love at first sight, but it doesn't make for an interesting story. And maybe doesn't even make any sense!

It wasn't the first time he'd made a suggestive remark towards Sam.
                            True. I think if a person considers that comment in the Broca Divide to be shippy it's fair to think the one in Solitudes is. But making sexual jokes toward women isn't Jack's style, so you have to wonder why he does it here. That's the only point I was trying to make because I do think that Solitudes is about team-building (gah, I hate that phrase but here it really does apply. )

Really, that's the only way to assess a lot of these little shippy moments. Is what they do something they would do toward other team members? And is it something they would normally do at all? If the answer to either one of those is "no" then it's got to make you wonder. It's like being a forensic psychologist and it's fun.

But the only way a person can ever figure any of those things out is to really know the characters and pay attention. I got hooked on looking for the details after that little bit of a scene in Shades of Grey where we have Jack's eye view of the team coming out of the gate, it struck me as incredibly clever, not to mention incredibly cute, which not a phrase I use a whole lot.

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                            Personally I do love this ep, and I do find it *slightly* shippy but only slightly, it's still really early on. For me most of the "ship" is on Sam's part - although some of that might be because Jack's kinda dying for most of the ep - her determination and her pain at failing to rescue Jack does have resonances with the ship for me. I'm definitely not saying that its *all* ship that she's not trying to get him home beause it's her job/ he's her friend/CO/teammate. I'm just saying that even by this point I think it is a factor in there.
                            That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Coela, I wanted to respond to your comments but I can't quote a quote. I still don't think Jack makes very many off-color remarks- it's just no one else on the entire show does so it stands out.
                            Last edited by VSS; 11 May 2009, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Oh, definitely. Like the Russians. His opinion of them will never change, although Stargate hasn't done a terribly good job of giving us any evidence that it should change. But, as to your last point, when did that happen? I'm not sure.
                              I was thinking more along the lines of more personal relationships, like his attitude towards Frank Cromwell or the Tok'ra.

As for the Russians..it's mostly political, so you might want to skip it.

Spoiler:
                              I know American viewers bemoan Jack's distrust and utter lack of sympathy towards Russians but it is one of the reasons I like his character so much. Ditto on how the Russians are portrayed on the show. It's not politically correct but it's realistic.
                              Everyone who lived in a country which had to fight with Russia throughout its entire history(up to now), or was subjugated by Russia will tell you that this rose-tinted view of Russia as a modern republic with honourable government and love for democracy presented in American tv/movies is laughable and has nothing to do with reality. All you have to do is read some Russian newspaper.

So I find it very refreshing that Stargate doesn't do it. Whether TPTB/Jack's character really has "cold war mentality" or is he simply more aware of the contemporary politics is a whole different matter, of course..

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV
                              It depends entirely on your own perception.
                              Spoiler:
                              I don't ship anyone on SGA because I've never seen anyone showing some romantic feelings towards another character there, maybe except Sheppard/Teyla in the pilot and McKay/Katie, but I was never really invested in SGA characters so I just shrugged it off. oh, and I've never seen Ronon/Amelia as well.

And on SG-1 I ship S/J only but even then I take a lot of "shippy" moments as friendship only. And I've never seen any other ship on the show, but there are/were D/V, Daniel/Janet, Sam/Martouf etc shippers.

Originally posted by Toomi
                              I think this is when we hare about Jack's capture? He states that he had a parchuting accident and fractured his skull. He says there was no rescue and he had to make it out on his own. He doesn't actually state he was captured or tortured. Is that part fanon or canon? I could've sworn it was canon, and I'm thinking it was the episode with the black hole connected to earth that it comes out? Anyways, he tells Sam that it was Sara that got him through it, the need to see her again.
                              I think you are confusing Solitudes with A Matter Of Time. In the latter he talkes about his capture during the First Gulf War, when he was a POW in Iraq for 4 months. The whole torture part is fanon though as it's never been explained on the show what exactly happened to him in the prison. There is also mention of him being in prison in "Prisoners".

But in Solitudes he talks about completely different accident. It happened in 1980 on the Iraq/Iran border, so I'm guessing his mission had something to do with Iraq/Iran war which started in Sept 1980. Besides he says he spent there 9 days, not months.

The next scene between Daniel and Teal'c has Daniel seemingly refusing to believe that they may be dead. He's assuming that Sam and Jack may have been diverted to another planet, and wants to norrow down the possible sites. Sam is on the same page, thinking that they are stranded together and Daniel and Teal'c are stranded elsewhere. I don't understand why they would automatically assume that. I can guess that Sam would think of it, but Daniel?
                              I just think Daniel refused to believe they might be dead - it would be like the end of the world for him - so he focused on finding some other explanation of their whereabouts. Another planet was the most logical choice. And if they weren't starnded they would have come back home.

Sam realises it's an ice planet and heads back to Jack. When he mutters Sara she tells him she's here. I think she only does that because he told her earlier that Sara got him through his accident in Iraq. Had he not given her that tidbit of information I don't think she would have reacted and she only did it to help his delusion. He's obviously out of it, and agitating him probably wouldn't make things better for him.
                              I honestly think by this point they are just saying their goodbyes.

Originally posted by VSS
                              She is the team medic, and as such I think she's somewhat able to give orders in that regard, although I'm not sure. (Maybe Coela knows ). I think, in an unofficial capacity, she's rightfully peeved that he's not telling her everything and maybe just doesn't care if she's being disrespectful.
                              Forgive my dumbness, but how do we know she's the team medic? They all administer first help when it's needed, and if she was the team's medic, then wouldn't she have gone with Janet in Heroes instead of Daniel?
                              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                              sigpic
                              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

[QUOTE=col aga;10151145]
                                As for the Russians..it's mostly political, so you might want to skip it.

Spoiler:
                                I know American viewers bemoan Jack's distrust and utter lack of sympathy towards Russians but it is one of the reasons I like his character so much. Ditto on how the Russians are portrayed on the show. It's not politically correct but it's realistic.
                                Everyone who lived in a country which had to fight with Russia throughout its entire history(up to now), or was subjugated by Russia will tell you that this rose-tinted view of Russia as a modern republic with honourable government and love for democracy presented in American tv/movies is laughable and has nothing to do with reality. All you have to do is read some Russian newspaper.

So I find it very refreshing that Stargate doesn't do it. Whether TPTB/Jack's character really has "cold war mentality" or is he simply more aware of the contemporary politics is a whole different matter, of course..
                                Spoiler:
                                Oh, I don't think American viewers necessarily feel that way, but we've all learned how to be PC especially on a forum like this. Let's just say that I don't get my news from cable TV- Mostly I read RealClearPolitics so i get where you're coming from.

It depends entirely on your own perception.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don't ship anyone on SGA because I've never seen anyone showing some romantic feelings towards another character there, maybe except Sheppard/Teyla in the pilot and McKay/Katie, but I was never really invested in SGA characters so I just shrugged it off. oh, and I've never seen Ronon/Amelia as well.

And on SG-1 I ship S/J only but even then I take a lot of "shippy" moments as friendship only. And I've never seen any other ship on the show, but there are/were D/V, Daniel/Janet, Sam/Martouf etc shippers.
                                I completely agree with that last paragraph. I practice evidence-based shipping, myself.

I think you are confusing Solitudes with A Matter Of Time. In the latter he talkes about his capture during the First Gulf War, when he was a POW in Iraq for 4 months. The whole torture part is fanon though as it's never been explained on the show what exactly happened to him in the prison. There is also mention of him being in prison in "Prisoners".

But in Solitudes he talks about completely different accident. It happened in 1980 on the Iraq/Iran border, so I'm guessing his mission had something to do with Iraq/Iran war which started in Sept 1980. Besides he says he spent there 9 days, not months
                                This is news to me, also. But the dates line up as you say. Thanks for pointing that out. Although it makes me feel even worse for poor Jack!

Forgive my dumbness, but how do we know she's the team medic? They all administer first help when it's needed, and if she was the team's medic, then wouldn't she have gone with Janet in Heroes instead of Daniel?
                                I'm not sure if they ever come right out and say it, but it's clear she's the medic. For one thing, if she weren't she wouldn't have the stuff to splint his leg in this episode. Those look like real emergency splints to me. I don't think anyone but the medic is going to carry that much stuff, plus some of her comments indicate medical training. Also, in Frozen she helps resuscitate Aiyana, and Frasier clearly knows Sam can do it, so she's had advanced cardiac life support training (ACLS) which is something only a medic is going to learn because it's really time-consuming. Finally, it's logical, as Aris Boch indicates in Dead Man Switch when we find out that Daniel definitely isn't the medic . She's military, and lower in rank than Jack, and has scientific training. They probably wouldn't have him be team leader and be the medic. In Heroes Jack is wounded before Janet, so naturally she goes to him first, although I think her initial response to his injury is not her medical background manifesting itself, that's for sure.
                                Last edited by VSS; 11 May 2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X