Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    The "fishing" photo is on the shelf behind her desk (I'll have to go rewatch a few episodes to find out which one(s) - a tough job, I know, but (sigh) I'll just have to go do it). The individual photo of Jack is in her private quarters, and was the one shown amongst her belongings when she was unpacking just after her arrival on Atlantis. The "fishing" picture shows up in one or two later episodes when she's meeting with people in her office.
    Right, but I believe Toomi was inquiring about the Atlantis photo from this ep. Or at least that's the question I was trying to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post

(snip)

When Cassie takes Teal'c's hand, he's a pretty big scary guy for a little kid. But she's been alone for who knows how long, watching everyone around her die. Perhaps seeing anyone who's alive is a huge relief to her.

I found this interesting especially after the episode Bloodlines. Teal'c has a son and we all know it. When I first viewed the show I would have thought big, scary Teal'c would have scared the bajeebas out of a young girl, but Teal'c with his fatherly outlook is able to reassure her and lead her out to the team.
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
        Right, but I believe Toomi was inquiring about the Atlantis photo from this ep. Or at least that's the question I was trying to answer.
        Ooops! As you may have figured out ... I misread the earlier comment/question. Oh well.

Comment

Me, too. She bonds way too fast with this little girl and the scene in the elevator after Sam leaves her is just over the top.

Yes, that's true- remember the line "Doesn't it say Colonel on my uniform?"
          That was way back in CotG, wasn't it?
          I think it was First Commandment

Yeah. What about that picture? Why that one? I've never understood that.
          But the look is cute- it's Sam seeing Jack's softer side, buying a dog for Cassie without even asking anyone about it or if she'd be able to keep it.
          I have to say I kinda assume he talked to Janet about the dog, I mean a dog isn't a small gift it has to be looked after. I can't see Jack getting her a present and then having to take it away because Janet doesn't want it. That would be pretty cruel of Jack and I just can't see him doing that to a child.

VSS I can see where you're coming from on Sam's reactions to Cass, not quite sure where I stand I understand what you're saying but it never seemed odd to me. I think this moment may have fallen victim to plot in some ways.
          They had brought in an orphaned child character in this ep, but Sam wouldn't be raising her by the end, but they also wanted some drama and 'maternal instinct' and it got slightly muddled.
          On the other hand it could be a case of the writers trying to show that yes this woman is a soldier, yes this woman is a scientist, but hey this woman can also be a person who's not detached but actually has feelings. (I know you mentioned the woman card but I'm not saying it's just because the character is a woman. Maybe more because they've spent the season building her up as a soldier and scientist and they don't want people to think she's some sort of ice queen and this is the plot they went for.)
          I still love this ep
          sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

When they all have the masks on, and Teal'c doesn't, someone mentionned why he would be allowed back as he could be carrying the contagien/virus. Couldn't the others? They breathed the air as well, and their clothes would have become contaminated. Perhaps when they decontaminate the rest of SG-1, he was decontaminated too.
            That's a good point. We were talking about how Teal'c knew he wouldn't be affected- I think he just doesn't worry about it. I'm sure that Janet would have wanted him to carry MOPP gear, he just doesn't use it. On the other hand the "M" in MOPP is for "Mustard" and I wonder if he is protected against chemical or radiologic weapons? I would think not- the symbiote is just the immune system. So he probably should have worn it until they verified the COD of those people.
            Jack doesn't fight Janet when she says he's first. We've seen him in the infirmary in Fire and Water and this episode? (other than Broca Divide?) So far we haven't seen him be angry and combative towards being in the infirmary or any medical personel? Perhaps that was something that was written in over time?
            I think you're right- in Foothold he tells the nurse with the shot to jam it in really good- then in WoO is the quote about what's in his eye. I think that going into the infirmary 100 days in a row would make him hate infirmaries forever!

When Cassie comes and grabs Sam's arm, Sam shoots a look at Jack. She looks bewildered, as though asking for his help. We know she has a niece and nephew (CL...I think...) but other than that how much does she spend with kids?
            I always thought that look had less to do with the fact that she's a kid and more to do with the fact that she clearly doesn't want Sam to leave. I think she'd have had that look no matter how old Cassie was. She's keeping Sam from doing her job, but of course, no one blames her so it's awkward.
            I wonder if it's even driving Daniel a bit more to be with Cassie. Again, we find out later that both of Daniel's parents died when he was younger too (any idea how young?) so perhaps that is bringing out the paternal side of Daniel (when he's offering to stay with her). I know that if Jack were there, he'd be playing with Cassie too (as we see at the end) but both Sam and Daniel seem to take on a parental side of things when it comes to Cassie.
            That's exactly what I thought, too!

When Sam goes back, Jack doesn't really try to talk her out of it. I think he recognizes what she's doing and why.
            Hmm...I think I have to disagree on this point- he doesn't try to talk her out of it- he orders her to come back. At that point he clearly doesn't know what she's doing, or why. He's not a happy camper. Even after he finds out the girl is awake he gives her a direct order to return and she ignores him. It's only after she comes back that he knows why she's done what she'd done.
            Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
            I think it was First Commandment
            Thanks! I remember now- they all refused to go back home when Jack told them to.

I have to say I kinda assume he talked to Janet about the dog, I mean a dog isn't a small gift it has to be looked after. I can't see Jack getting her a present and then having to take it away because Janet doesn't want it. That would be pretty cruel of Jack and I just can't see him doing that to a child.
            I think that's the whole point of the scene- that he just decided on the spur of the moment to get a dog, and makes up the rule about kids and dogs- thinking that in the end no one will have the heart to take it away from her. And Sam totally knows what he's trying to pull off, (and thinks it's rather cute, IMHO). So he takes the dog off with Teal'c, and even asks Teal'c if he knows anything about dogs- Jack knows he's kind of in the doghouse himself over this! At this point, no one knows with whom she'll be staying, so now's the perfect time to get her a dog- there's no one to even say "no" yet. Plus, Cassie doesn't seem to even know what a dog is, so she doesn't seem to be all that attached like an earth kid would be.
            Maybe more because they've spent the season building her up as a soldier and scientist and they don't want people to think she's some sort of ice queen and this is the plot they went for.)
            I still love this ep
            When I was watching this ep, I remember thinking how great it was. There's really good science fiction, an engaging story between the girl and Sam, we get more insight into every character- even Teal'c!- and it introduces Niirti and more evidence of just how evil these goa'uld are. And insofar as Sam goes, I think that with each of these characters they are still trying to find out how to write them. For instance, Daniel also behaves a little bit "off" IMHO in this episode. But was he "off" at the time? Not really- his canon was still yet to be made.
            The other thing that I think is amazing is that considering there were so many writers, they did manage to give us coherent, consistent characters.
            Last edited by VSS; 05 May 2009, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Going back to Hathor for a second..

I didn't have time to post earlier, but I've been thinking about your theory that Hathor's drug made Jack "immune" to Sam's charms /covered his attraction to her and I don't buy it. IIRC Janet said that the drug made all the guys horny - in general, not just towards Hathor herself. That's how the women escaped from the cell after all; if Jack wasn't attracted to Sam because of Hathor, why would the guards be attracted to their female prisoners? And there's no doubt they were. So IMO it doesn't add up.

And now, Singularity..

Again, I don't have much to add, because I would have been simply repeating everything VSS said - I'm in agreement with her on all points, including the lift scene.

[
              I love the opening sequence. I always laugh when Jack points out the scientific term and Daniel keeps talking, then stops and realises what Jack says. As for why Sam isn't suprised, I'm guessing it's from offworld missions. There's watches all night on various planets and a whole array of stars to be viewed. I'm sure at some point a conversation drifted to constellations and went from there.
              I like this episode, but this scene is my favourite. It's nice teamy banter that shows that Sam and Jack are gettting to know each other personally and are quite comfortable together.

*rant warning*
              I hate when the antis say that there's no friendship between Jack and Sam because of their ranks and that throughout the show they never talk about anything personal. IMO that's ignoring canon - including this scene. It clearly shows that there's affection and mutual interests on the totally personal level between them.
              On the other hand, the antis usually claim there's no real friendship and personal talks between Jack and Teal'c, so maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about this...
              *end of the rant*

Jack doesn't fight Janet when she says he's first. We've seen him in the infirmary in Fire and Water and this episode? (other than Broca Divide?) So far we haven't seen him be angry and combative towards being in the infirmary or any medical personel? Perhaps that was something that was written in over time?
              I don't recall any episode in which Jack would be angry with the infirmary staff. There's his irritation in WoO, but I'd be annoyed as well in such circumstances; and there's "the Light", but he was in withdrawal at the time, so it also shouldn't count. Basically I think it's more fanon thing than something we saw on-screen.

I wonder if it's even driving Daniel a bit more to be with Cassie. Again, we find out later that both of Daniel's parents died when he was younger too (any idea how young?) so perhaps that is bringing out the paternal side of Daniel (when he's offering to stay with her). I know that if Jack were there, he'd be playing with Cassie too (as we see at the end) but both Sam and Daniel seem to take on a parental side of things when it comes to Cassie.
              Agreed. And Daniel was 8 years old when his parents died. (he says so in "Gamekeeper", season 2)
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                Going back to Hathor for a second..

I didn't have time to post earlier, but I've been thinking about your theory that Hathor's drug made Jack "immune" to Sam's charms /covered his attraction to her and I don't buy it. IIRC Janet said that the drug made all the guys horny - in general, not just towards Hathor herself. That's how the women escaped from the cell after all; if Jack wasn't attracted to Sam because of Hathor, why would the guards be attracted to their female prisoners? And there's no doubt they were. So IMO it doesn't add up.
                I thought about that, too, but since it didn't fit my theory, I disregarded it. Actually, if it really made the men libidinous in a general way, then wouldn't all the men (including Jack, Daniel and George) have been influenced by Sam just as much as they were influenced by Hathor? But, they weren't. They clearly were under Hathor's spell. That "women in prison" scene actually doesn't fit, so I think of it as the men sort of settling for second best- female, but not Hathor.

And now, Singularity..

*rant warning*
                I hate when the antis say that there's no friendship between Jack and Sam because of their ranks and that throughout the show they never talk about anything personal. IMO that's ignoring canon - including this scene. It clearly shows that there's affection and mutual interests on the totally personal level between them.
                On the other hand, the antis usually claim there's no real friendship and personal talks between Jack and Teal'c, so maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about this...
                *end of the rant*
                I agree. As I mentioned earlier, Sam and Jack actually have a great deal in common, too. More than a lot of happy couples. The one thing I do think is true is that this friendship of theirs seems very strained after season 4- I don't think it ever really comes back, although we saw hints of it in The Shroud and Continuum when they seemed relaxed around each other- for other reasons, of course. That's one of the reasons why I'd like to see some on-screen confirmation, because otherwise it would be sad from a friendship angle, not just from a romantic one.

Comment

I think you're right- in Foothold he tells the nurse with the shot to jam it in really good- then in WoO is the quote about what's in his eye. I think that going into the infirmary 100 days in a row would make him hate infirmaries forever!
                  That's a great point!
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree. As I mentioned earlier, Sam and Jack actually have a great deal in common, too. More than a lot of happy couples. The one thing I do think is true is that this friendship of theirs seems very strained after season 4- I don't think it ever really comes back, although we saw hints of it in The Shroud and Continuum when they seemed relaxed around each other- for other reasons, of course. That's one of the reasons why I'd like to see some on-screen confirmation, because otherwise it would be sad from a friendship angle, not just from a romantic one.
                    If your part of a special forces team (SG-1), or really any combat team, you in bond with those people because you live, sweat, bleed, cuss, scream, cry, and possibly die with those people. That is one thing I think that SG-1 doesn't have. They go off world and then come back and leave the mountain or do their own thing for a while until the next mission. While on actually deployments you are with those people 24/7 for up to 18 months at a time.
                    sigpic
                    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Ummm, I think I babble too much. There's 2 eps today and I'm putting them in 2 posts.
                      Cor-ai

Banner by Jumble

Fave Quote: Jack: "Daniel it's important that you respect your elders."

Fave Scene: The scene between Teal'c and Jack during a break in the Cor-ai where they discuss what happened.

SG-1 gates to a planet and Teal'c recognizes it quickly. He tells them that the Goa'uld come to the planet regularly to harvest humans for hosts. The villagers have vacated quickly, food still cooking on a fire, fresh food sitting out, so they begin to look around.

They encounter some of the villagers in a building and explain that they are friendly and human. The villagers are wary until they see Teal'c and recognize him as a Jaffa. One of the villagers claims that Teal'c killed his father.

Another villager warns the one man that revenge is not something they will do. They have to put Teal'c through Cor-ai.

We see a flashback of Apophis ordering Teal'c to shoot a man, while young boy cries and runs to his father.

Daniel jumps in when the villagers take Teal'c hostage, urging Jack to not fire, telling him it's not the way to handle it. Then Jack tries to come up with plans to get Teal'c out of the jail he's in, but Teal'c refuses, stating he will not leave.

When Jack announces he will be Teal'c's 'voice' for the Cor-ai, Teal'c's expression doens't really change but he eminates concern, while Sam and Daniel shared a glance of worry.

The Cor-ai begins with the man of the killed father apologizing to Teal'c for acting as he did when they first met.

The scene between Teal'c and Jack when they discuss/argue Teal'c's innocence. Teal'c states that Apophis ordered him to shoot upon the father, and Jack argues that Teal'c was following orders and free will was not an option. I get the feeling that Jack is also talking about some of his past 'crimes'. He would have been ordered to do some things during his days as special ops that he may not have agreed with, but it was his orders, his job. Perhaps this has become personal for Jack?

Daniel jumps up and speaks with Jack questionning him about Sha're. It says a lot for Daniel that he is able to state that Teal'c was the one who chose his wife and now she's a Goa'uld. Daniel could've hated Teal'c for his part in Sha're's 'kidnapping' but doesn't, instead choosing to fight with Teal'c and get her back.

We see another flashback of Apophis ordering Teal'c to shoot someone and we see that Teal'c chose to kill a man with one leg, someone who would not be able to outrun them.

Jack and Sam head back to Earth for backup, leaving Daniel to try and help out Teal'c in the Cor-ai. Daniel makes the point that Teal'c chose to kill the man with the one leg as the villagers would only travel as fast as it's slowest member. He killed the slowest so the villagers could get to safety faster, but in the end it's the son who gets to decide Teal'c's innocence or guilt. Teal'c ends up sentenced to death.

Back on Earth, Hammond doesn't want to send teams through the gate to rescue Teal'c given that the villagers treated the rest of SG-1 with respect. He states that Teal'c isn't human, isn't from Earth when Jack wants to rescue one of his own. Hammond points out clearly that Teal'c is a war criminal and Sam points out that Teal'c is a valuble source of information. Hammond, angrily, states that we don't not prosecute a war criminal because they had a change of heart. Jack and Hammond begin a shouting match when Hammond puts a stop to it, Sam standing waiting awkwardly beside Jack. Is this the first time we see Jack and Hammond disagree in public? They disagreed in Hammonds office, over what I can't remember, but it was a recent episode I watched.

What Hammond says is right though... despite the fact that we have formed an 'attachment' to Teal'c and don't want him to die, would we do the same for a war criminal on Earth who had a change of mind? Teal'c committed many attrocities in the service of Apophis, no different than General's in armies that we are still convicting from wars from the 1940's. It's a thought that won't get out of my mind.

Jack and Sam return to find Jaffa on the planet, the villagers hiding. Someone hands Teal'c a knife so Teal'c an unbind his hands and he fights the Jaffa coming to attack them. After saving the locals, Teal'c then gets himself ready for his execution but the acuser doesn't kill him.

This is a good Teal'c episode, dealing with something that would've happened at some point. I think it helps Teal'c's character develop as now he can hopefully shed some of the guilt he may have been carrying around since his defection from Apophis.

Sam and Jack implications: Not much really. The only time they're alone is back at the SGC and even then they aren't quite alone as Jack is busy having a shouting match with Hammond. Jack does show Sam the side of him that never gives up, one she'll get all too familiar with over time...
                      sigpic

Comment

Ummm, I think I babble too much. There's 2 eps today and I'm putting them in 2 posts.
                        That's okay, I liked these eps so I'm going to be babbling quite a bit over the next couple of days! I don't think I ever saw this ep before, or if I did, I forgot it.

Fave Quote: Jack: "Daniel it's important that you respect your elders."
                        That's about the only funny line in this episode. I actually got teary at this part:
                        HANNO: I have made a mistake. My memory was faulty. You are not the same man as he who murdered my father.
                        TEAL'C: I am the one.
                        HANNO: No. That Jaffa is dead. You have killed him. *sob*

The scene between Teal'c and Jack when they discuss/argue Teal'c's innocence. Teal'c states that Apophis ordered him to shoot upon the father, and Jack argues that Teal'c was following orders and free will was not an option. I get the feeling that Jack is also talking about some of his past 'crimes'. He would have been ordered to do some things during his days as special ops that he may not have agreed with, but it was his orders, his job. Perhaps this has become personal for Jack?
                        I think this is all intensely personal for Jack. Not only was he lower down the CoC in the past, now he expects the team to do what he says without hesitation. Throughout this entire ep, Jack does not focus on any of the bigger picture regarding justice, retribution, law and national sovereignty. He's constantly setting aside Daniel's views on culture. All he cares about is the problem at hand- getting his friend and team member off the hook. I think a military person has to focus on their specific role- wouldn't they drive themselves nuts with all of these moral questions? I would.
                        Daniel jumps up and speaks with Jack questionning him about Sha're. It says a lot for Daniel that he is able to state that Teal'c was the one who chose his wife and now she's a Goa'uld. Daniel could've hated Teal'c for his part in Sha're's 'kidnapping' but doesn't, instead choosing to fight with Teal'c and get her back
                        . Daniel sees the big picture more readily than Jack. What if their places were switched? WOuld Jack have forgiven Teal'c?
                        Daniel makes the point that Teal'c chose to kill the man with the one leg as the villagers would only travel as fast as it's slowest member. He killed the slowest so the villagers could get to safety faster, but in the end it's the son who gets to decide Teal'c's innocence or guilt. Teal'c ends up sentenced to death.
                        As unfair as it seems, it's very possible that a jury here in earth might have convicted Teal'c as well. Hanno had a point when he said no amount of future good Teal'c might do could ever bring his father back.
                        What Hammond says is right though... despite the fact that we have formed an 'attachment' to Teal'c and don't want him to die, would we do the same for a war criminal on Earth who had a change of mind? Teal'c committed many attrocities in the service of Apophis, no different than General's in armies that we are still convicting from wars from the 1940's. It's a thought that won't get out of my mind.
                        Quite true. While I disagree with Teal'c's sentence, the villagers are not wrong. Hammond and Teal'c both know it's true.
                        This is a good Teal'c episode, dealing with something that would've happened at some point. I think it helps Teal'c's character develop as now he can hopefully shed some of the guilt he may have been carrying around since his defection from Apophis.
                        I think this is a huge episode for Teal'c. He's been forgiven by a person he has hurt terribly, and though there are many of those people out there, in his heart and in the hearts of his comrades, he's earned absolution for his crimes. For a man of honor like Teal'c, that is a tremendous weight off of his shoulders.
                        Sam and Jack implications: Not much really.
                        Not true! This ep sent the Nonrandom Seating Arrangement stats back into shipper territory- it was 4/8, now it's 5/9 and by the end of the next ep it's 6/10!
                        Last edited by VSS; 06 May 2009, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Not gonna lie. Cor-Ai was probably my least favorite Season 1 episode ever. It is so improbable that the US Military would let them take Teal'C hostage. It's just pointless. And there isn't any good shipping in it either.
                          sigpic
                          In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                          "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Enigma

Banner by Blacky Kitten

Fave Quote: Daniel (when he walks in on Sam and Narim): "Whoops." Just the way he says it. Always makes me giggle.

Fave Scene: When Omoc tries to explain to Daniel how the light/signal works and travels to space. I think it's a nice moment, and shows that Omoc is opening up to them, even just the tiniest bit.

One thing that bothers me is at the beginning of the episode. There's volcanic ash falling and no one covers their mouth or nose. If the ash gets into the lungs, it can mix with the moisture and turn into a cement like mess. Your lungs basically solidify and you die. Nothing big in the grand scheme of things, but it bothers me (however, when they come back with the survivors they do have masks)

Anyways, SG-1 finds people burried in the ash and one asks for help. Naturally, SG-1 take the survivors away from a planet about to kill them.

At the de-briefing Daniel points out that we'd be colonizing space right now if it wasn't for the dark ages. He mentions that on Earth, we experienced 800 years of time where science was considered heresy and comments that these people they rescued perhaps didn't have that setback. What do you think? Would we be further ahead?

A survivor wakes and tells SG-1 and Hammond that they didn't save them. He calls them primative, irritating Jack instantly. He tells Hammond that they're aware of the Goa'uld but don't interract with them. Hammond immediatly jumps on the chance to make a new ally. He's shut down, as is Daniel when he asks to learn more of their culture and customs. As the group leaves the infirmary another survivor catches Sam's eye...

Wasn't someone keeping count of the times Sam and Jack sat together at in the briefing room? I'm curious as to how many times Daniel is seen carrying a coffee mug, or mentionning coffee. Just curious if that is a fanon thing, or if it's canon.

Hammond asks Sam to talk to Narim, see if she can get him to open up her. Hammond offers to show Narim the surface and Sam is immediatly shocked. I think this may be the first time (other than Cassie or Teal'c who were both trying to become Earth residents) that we see someone being shown the surface, and so soon after their arrival. Hammond knows that these people could be potential allies, but is it the suggestion made by Daniel that these people could be 800 years more advanced that us that is propelling his decisions?

On the surface, Narim tells Sam that he thought he was dying on the planet and that he assumed she was their version of an angel. He compliments her, calling her beautiful and she's either flattered or uncomfortable. (sorry, I can't read that nervous head dipping and smile. Could be either?) He also tells her that he knows she's a brilliant scientist, something he seems to admire or appreciate. I think that gets Sam's attention more than being told she's beautiful, someone who can appreciate a mind more than a body.

The conversation is turned when Narim discovers birds. He asks about other animals, saying there has been none on Tollan for generations. He asks Sam not to say anything to Omoc, but he won't tell her why.

When the UAV heads through the gate, Jack lets out a little 'yeah'. I know he's a pilot and he must have a passion for flying and aircraft of any kind gives him a kick, but it's nice to see it displayed by Jack.

Sam and Daniel find out from Omoc that his team was there to seal the gate on Tollana so no one could be returned or harmed. They were performing a suicide mission.

Jack and Teal'c begin to search for a new home for the refugees, while Sam and Daniel are assigned to set up 'housing' at the SGC. Sam offers to help Narim set up his bedding and gives him books to keep him entertained. When he thanks her, she seems suprised, but brushes it off to show Narim her cat, Schrodinger. She explains Schrodinger's cat in a box theory and they both begin discussing quantum physics (which Narim claims is a missconception!)
                            science stuff:
                            Spoiler:
                            Though recently I read an article talking about how there's particles of light/energy that may travel faster than the speed of light

Omoc and the rest of the gang manage to escape but it's not long before the are caught observing the stars.

The leader of the Land Of Light offer their homeworld to share with Omoc's folk but are quickly turned down by Omoc. He again insults those around him, calling them all primative. Sam gets the story as to why Omoc is the way he is. He tells of another planet where the Tollan shared technology and they used it to create war, eventually altering the Tollan's planet orbit (?) leading to the volcanic mess we saw at the beginning.

Walter shows images of the Tollan walking through walls, and Colonel Maybourne walks, announcing he's from NID. Jack asks about Kennedy so he has previous experience with the NID? Maybourne also comments that he has read reports on Jack.

Maybourne begins to talk about how the Stargate program is finally paying off with having the Tollan here. He wants to take these people and get their technology from them, and SG-1 is opposed. Hammond refuses to release them to Maybourne on the grounds of needing a quarantine. Why is Hammond putting up with Maybourne's crap? Why doesn't he just shut him up as he gets going instead of waiting until later in their conversation to remind Maybourne that he is only a Colonel?

SG-1 decide to do something to help the Tollan escape, and Daniel points out he can't be court-martialled. True, but wouldn't the Air Force have another means to 'get him?' He's still on their payroll and expected to follow their rules is he not? Would it be a trial and sentencing?

Daniel tells Omoc of the Nox, that they called the Tau'ri 'very young' rather than primitive, and that their stargate is sealed. Omoc agrees, and takes Daniel through a wall. Omoc uses his bracelet to 'signal' the Nox and when Daniel asks him about the light taking years to travel to the Nox homeworld, Omoc, after a few moments, tries to explain it to him.

Narim gives Sam one of his bracelets, one that records feelings and emotions. She tries it and feels the emotions he feels for her. When she is done trying it out, she's stunned, and Narim shows her their 'custom,' and kisses her. Right on cue, Daniel walks in.

The gate starts dialing all by itself and it is revealed that the Tollan, with Daniel and Teal'c are ready at the bottom of the ramp. Lya comes through and formally invites the Tollan to join them, creates a wormhole and leads them to their new home, Narim leaving after a long glance at Sam, Schrodinger in his arms.

I love the little moment at the end with Daniel and Jack talking about 'the little guy with the funny hair.' Overall I liked this episode as it showed a race of people, more advanced than us, but not really bothered by the Goa'uld. Does this give hope to the SGC or frustrate them when they discover how far advanced technologically they are compared to us? I like Narim, I even like Omoc at the end. I love how they brought in characters from different episodes so far this season.

Sam kisses Narim. It's not just him kissing her, she does kiss him back. She has jut felt his emotions towards her from his device so his feelings could have overwhelmed hers. I'm wondering if Daniel commented on the scene he walked into, or did he just let it be?

Implications for Sam and Jack: I don't think that he knows that Sam kissed Narim, unless Sam told him (unlikely) or Daniel (I still don't think that's likely. He's not going to drop that in casual conversation. Perhaps in a few years he'll tease her about it, but I don't think he'd say anything now) Does Sam have romantic feelings towards Narim? I think it's possible. Here's someone who treats her as a scientist and an equal, who calls her beautiful and genuinly seems to care about who she is. Has she had that in many relationships? Over her career has she found anyone (friend or more) who treats her like that before being on SG-1? I'm thinking that she was either dismissed as a scientist by some of her military counterparts, and dismissed as a soldier by some of her scientist co-workers.

Narim is gone to a planet that the SGC can't access, and has taken Sam's cat with him. She can't contact him, go for a visit etc. He has her cat, she has his emotions stored in a device. I wonder if she thinks they'll ever meet again? I'm also curious as to what happens to that device over the years?

For me, this is a great Sam episode, but there really isn't much ship in it.
                            sigpic

Comment

That's about the only funny line in this episode. I actually got teary at this part:
                              HANNO: I have made a mistake. My memory was faulty. You are not the same man as he who murdered my father.
                              TEAL'C: I am the one.
                              HANNO: No. That Jaffa is dead. You have killed him. *sob*
                              That was a good line/moment. I tend to find I steer towards humour for fave quotes, however my fave quote from the series is both humerous and serious (and quite long!)

I think this is all intensely personal for Jack. Not only was he lower down the CoC in the past, now he expects the team to do what he says without hesitation. Throughout this entire ep, Jack does not focus on any of the bigger picture regarding justice, retribution, law and national sovereignty. He's constantly setting aside Daniel's views on culture. All he cares about is the problem at hand- getting his friend and team member off the hook. I think a military person has to focus on their specific role- wouldn't they drive themselves nuts with all of these moral questions? I would.
                              . Daniel sees the big picture more readily than Jack. What if their places were switched? WOuld Jack have forgiven Teal'c?
                              Had their places been switched? Loaded question, but I"m going to have to go with no. I don't know if Teal'c would have had the chance to be forgiven, he might have been killed.

I think this is a huge episode for Teal'c. He's been forgiven by a person he has hurt terribly, and though there are many of those people out there, in his heart and in the hearts of his comrades, he's earned absolution for his crimes. For a man of honor like Teal'c, that is a tremendous weight off of his shoulders.
                              Out of all the Teal'c episodes, this one ranks near the top for me for the reasons you state.

Not true! This ep sent the Nonrandom Seating Arrangement stats back into shipper territory- it was 4/8, now it's 5/9 and by the end of the next ep it's 6/10!
                              Yay!!! I wondered if someone was still keeping tabs
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                                Not gonna lie. Cor-Ai was probably my least favorite Season 1 episode ever. It is so improbable that the US Military would let them take Teal'C hostage. It's just pointless. And there isn't any good shipping in it either.
                                I was hoping you'd pop up.
                                It seems to me that the repercussions of taking Teal'c back would be small compared to his value to earth. This is a little agrarian society with nothing we want or need and no way to hurt the people of earth. Furthermore, who's right and who's wrong is all a matter of perspective in this episode- and while Teal'c is a war criminal to those people, he's a valuable military asset to us.

As Jack said, it might have been possible to spring him without anyone getting hurt given our superior technology. So why did they write it the way they did?

Comment

Working...
                                X