Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    I was just thinking about that. How about we shift everything back a week?

NEW Season 5 Rewatch Schedule:

Aug. 3: Desperate Measures - SaraBahama
    Aug. 6: Wormhole X-Treme - ajay
    Aug. 10: Proving Ground - SaraBahama
    Aug. 13: 48 Hours - Robinbishop1231
    Aug. 17: Summit - Sparky She-Demon
    Aug. 20: Last Stand - Sparky She-Demon
    Aug. 24: Fail Safe - neverendingimagination
    Aug. 27: The Warrior - Everlovin
    Sept. 3: Menace - IamDKScully
    Sept. 7: The Sentinel - hlndncr
    Sept. 10: Meridian - Everlovin
    Sept. 13: Revelations - Robinbishop1231
    Sounds good to me!
    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Looking forward to reading the reviews!

Comment

Band Camp for the kiddo has put me behind! ACK!
        sigpic
        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

No worries Sara! Gives me more time to prep for mine The first week of each month is always mental at work.

Comment

So I see the rewatch schedule went out the window while I was away. Any interest in getting this going again?

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to move the discussion into the main thread. We just aren't as many these days and we're all busy. The main thread could use a little boost and it may be easier to keep on track if we only have one place to visit.

It's sad to see things slow down like this, but our ship is approaching 20 years now so I think we are pretty lucky to still see new shippers walking into the light of the fluff clouds, or the deep dark dank of the angst cavern, or the slippery wet gutter as preferences go.

Comment

Real life has this nasty habit of getting in the way. But S/J still gives me my escape. I'm ready to start the reviews again whenever everyone else is. Whichever thread, doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                It's sad to see things slow down like this, but our ship is approaching 20 years now so I think we are pretty lucky to still see new shippers walking into the light of the fluff clouds, or the deep dark dank of the angst cavern, or the slippery wet gutter as preferences go.
                Go Ship! I like all of the above

It doesn't matter what thread, I'd love for the rewatch to continue since I have time to comment now!

Comment

I'm still all for it. Assuming I have about three weeks until I have my next review coming up. I'm away from my dvd collection for the next couple of weeks.
                  sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I occasionally come across relationship advice in my social media feeds, an in the latest one it said, "Don’t be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship."

It struck me that this was major part of why got together with . Granted she was making an effort to try to move on from and was the first one to come along and didn't actively repulse her.

I also, think this is why increasingly got cold feet as the wedding approached as she realised she was with for all the wrong reasons. I like to think she came across this bit of advice while perusing Cosmo or some similar magazine.

So, am I reading too much into this or not enough.
                    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                      I occasionally come across relationship advice in my social media feeds, an in the latest one it said, "Don’t be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship."

It struck me that this was major part of why got together with . Granted she was making an effort to try to move on from and was the first one to come along and didn't actively repulse her.

I also, think this is why increasingly got cold feet as the wedding approached as she realised she was with for all the wrong reasons. I like to think she came across this bit of advice while perusing Cosmo or some similar magazine.

I don't think you're far off. Not even with the magazine bit, considering Sam's little rant about marriage (when they were talking about someone else) somewhere in season 8 - that stuff sounded like something she got from a magazine.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post

Just trying to imagine Sam reading Cosmo or some other magazine of that kind I think it would actually be quite funny if she started 'analysing' everything written in there
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SOtogether View Post
                          Just trying to imagine Sam reading Cosmo or some other magazine of that kind I think it would actually be quite funny if she started 'analysing' everything written in there
                          I remember reading a fic set after Threads where she's talking to Jack and tells him that "according to Cosmo magazine I read on the plane (to D.C. ), recent life events mean that my stress levels should be so high that I should be a quivering wreck in a corner somewhere! (Relationship break-up, death of a relative, career change and relocation!)" lol.

Oh, and I completely agree btw! Sam "thought" she should move on and have a life, remember, all of the stuff everyone said to her whilst she was stranded on the Prometheus was actually her talking to herself. I think this is a point that a lot of people forget. I.e. It wasn't actually Jacob telling her to give up on Jack, it wasn't actually Jack giving up on her etc. - it was herself questioning that maybe she'd been hiding behind her feelings for Jack and that maybe she should give up and try to move on.

Also, not to be blunt, but it had been ages since she'd been "with" someone. Judging by that steamy fantasy about Jack and the fact that at the end of Evolution they were looking at each other like a starving person looks at a juicy steak, I'm kinda not surprised that she threw herself at Pete (however much my stomach objected to that particular scene lol!)

I also agree with AT to a point, Sam * did* need to put herself out there for a while and learn how to be in an adult relationship given that her last real relationship was with Jonas the sociopath! It's just a shame that her stubbornness to make it work at all costs resulted in her staying with a guy who was so wrong for her that it was laughable and even accepting a marriage proposal from said man. Jack also didn't help. He's so wrapped up in his own little pity party of self-loathing and feelings of inadequacy that he shut her out completely to the point where they were barely even friends any more. Watching that moment where they discuss that the replicator pause might have been caused by Daniel punches me in the gut every time. One minute he's so chatty with her and then suddenly the shutters come down and he dismisses her so coldly that even she's like "Ohhh-Kay... so I'll just go then, huh?" His face after she leaves says it all, he looks so lost I just want to give him a hug

http://youtu.be/q73byp41kOU 14:22 onwards (also, the fact that she sounds just like Chekov from the new Star Trek films when she says 'Yes, Sir!' At the start made me giggle!)
                          Last edited by AmberLM; 08 September 2014, 05:15 AM.
                          Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                            I also agree with AT to a point, Sam * did* need to put herself out there for a while and learn how to be in an adult relationship given that her last real relationship was with Jonas the sociopath! It's just a shame that her stubbornness to make it work at all costs resulted in her staying with a guy who was so wrong for her that it was laughable and even accepting a marriage proposal from said man. Jack also didn't help. He's so wrapped up in his own little pity party of self-loathing and feelings of inadequacy that he shut her out completely to the point where they were barely even friends any more. Watching that moment where they discuss that the replicator pause might have been caused by Daniel punches me in the gut every time. One minute he's so chatty with her and then suddenly the shutters come down and he dismisses her so coldly that even she's like "Ohhh-Kay... so I'll just go then, huh?" His face after she leaves says it all, he looks so lost I just want to give him a hug
                            Yes, the scene makes me hold my breath. Painful to watch them two not being able to find their way to each other. I agree with what you said about Sam needing to invest in her private/love life and I also agree Pete was just a bad choice. Not only in comparison to Jack, but a bad choice in general, like they were totally unmatched. I wonder if that was on puropse... after all, they could have made Pete a likeable character and someone who also was worth of Sam's feelings.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SOtogether View Post
                              Yes, the scene makes me hold my breath. Painful to watch them two not being able to find their way to each other. I agree with what you said about Sam needing to invest in her private/love life and I also agree Pete was just a bad choice. Not only in comparison to Jack, but a bad choice in general, like they were totally unmatched. I wonder if that was on puropse... after all, they could have made Pete a likeable character and someone who also was worth of Sam's feelings.
                              According to Joe Mallozzi it was deliberate:

"'Maybe Sam will find a nice guy she can connect with and develop just such a relationship that will last - up to season's end when she dumps the unsatisfactory chump like a sack of potatoes and gets together with Jack."

- it's where Pete's fandom (not very nice) nickname came from.
                              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

"Unsatisfactory chump". If that's what they were going for, then they casted the Pete character perfectly!

(No offence to the actor. I'm sure he's been entirely satisfactory in other stuff)

Comment

Working...
                                X