No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I don't have time just now but I'm surprised no one took the Sentinel. In a season without much ship, there are quite a few shippy moments in it IIRC. Sam and Jack are so in sync with each other in this episode.

My fave bit of season 5 is Jack getting jealous over Joe in 2010. It's so similar to Sam's jealousy over Kerry in Threads and it's nice to see Jack showing his hand sometimes.
    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
      Since nobody has episode 4 are we skipping that one then? Which means I'll be up next weekend?
      I can definitely do a review by then. Not too sure about the sig though, I've never made one before and need a bit of time to practice.
      No: someone will step up and take the unclaimed episodes in time.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
        Since nobody has episode 4 are we skipping that one then? Which means I'll be up next weekend?
        I can definitely do a review by then. Not too sure about the sig though, I've never made one before and need a bit of time to practice.
        That's Red Sky, right? If you want (anybody you, that is) I can throw something together.
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

All right, I took another one

Season 5 Episode List:

Episode 1: Enemies (second part of Exodus)-IamDKScully
          Episode 2: Threshold-Everlovin
          Episode 3: Ascension - Hlndncr
          Episode 4: The Fifth Man
          Episode 5: Red Sky- ajay
          Episode 6: Rite of Passage - SaraBahama
          Episode 7: Beast of Burden - hlndncr
          Episode 8: The Tomb-neverendingimagination
          Episode 9: Between Two Fires
          Episode 10: 2001-IamDKScully
          Episode 11: Desperate Measures-SaraBahama
          Episode 12: Wormhole X-Treme - ajay
          Episode 13: Proving Ground-SaraBahama
          Episode 14: 48 Hours-Robinbishop1231
          Episode 15: Summit-Sparky She-Demon
          Episode 16: Last Stand-Sparky She-Demon
          Episode 17: Fail Safe-neverendingimagination
          Episode 18: The Warrior - hlndncr
          Episode 19: Menace
          Episode 20: The Sentinel - IamDKScully
          Episode 21: Meridian- Everlovin
          Episode 22: Revelations-Robinbishop1231

First come first served basis.
          sigpic

----------
          FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Ok...sorry for the lateness of the post. I hope everything is coherent Enjoy!

Enemies
            Original Air Date : June 29, 2001
            Directed by Martin Wood
            Written by Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper, Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie
            Teleplay by Robert C. Cooper

Summary

At the end of Season 4 our favorite team, plus Jacob, is left stranded in an uncharted part of the galaxy and Teal'c is presumed dead after Sam blows up Vorash's sun in an effort to destroy Apophis and his fleet.

After finding themselves quite lost, the team discovers that they weren't the only ones caught by the blast wave and pushed 100+ years away from home. Apophis's mothership made the trip as well. While threatening the team with certain doom, Apophis is attacked by an unknown vessel. Taking advantage of Apophis's distraction, Jacob moves their ship into the coronasphere of a nearby star hoping the radiation will hide them while they do some repairs.

While Jacob and Sam try to figure out their engineering situation, Jack tells Daniel what happened on Vorash.

Meanwhile back a the SGC, the Tok’ra come to tell Hammond of the news of Vorash’s destruction and the success of SG-1’s mission as well as the fact that they have not been heard from since. Ren’al informs Hammond that Selmac will be considered a fallen war hero and he tells her that he’s not so quick to give up on SG-1.

After finishing repairs, Jacob moves the ship away from the star and they find Apophis' ship drifting crewless. Needing new crystals for the hyperdrive, the team boards the vessel only to discover that everyone's favorite mechanical spiders have taken over the ship.

After making it back to their ship safely, they discover a tel'tak nearby and when they hail the vessel, Teal'c answers the hail. We soon discover things are not as they seem when Teal'c embraces O’Neill only to grab Jack’s sidearm and hold it on the team as Apophis arrives.

As usual, the bad guys are not as clever as they think they are. In true Goa'uld fashion, Apophis does not travel light but unfortunately, he and his Jaffa have unwittingly brought replicators to the ship. Soon the bugs are taking over and when the ship jumps into hyperspace before they can escape in the tel'tak, the team discovers that they are headed back to their corner of the galaxy and Apophis' home planet. The hyped up hyperdrive has them almost home in no time so the team sets a trap for the bugs ala Season 3's Nemesis and they make it out of the ship in a nick of time and the ship plummets to the planet's surface, burning up as it enters the atmosphere.

Jack tells a still brainwashed Teal’c that Apophis is dead, but he does not believe him and we are left to wonder how the team will get their Teal’c back.

Favorite Scenes

Jacob/Selmac: Kree, Lord Apophis. I am Selmac of the Tok’ra, commander of this ship.
            Jack: Commander?
            Jacob: You want to bicker about rank right now?

Sam: This way, Sir, it’s not far.
            Jack: Carter, how do you know where to go in a place like this?
            Sam: I studied the Tok’ra specs of the ship while we were on Vorash.
            Jack: You know how to have a good time, don’tcha?
            Sam: I’m having a good time now, sir.
            Jack: You go girl.

Jack: Excuse me. I distinctly remember someone saying …we're not going to make it. I think we made it.
            Jacob:I'm sorry, I over reacted. At the time, it looked very much like we weren't going to make it.
            Jack: Yes, well, maybe next time you'll just wait and see.
            Jacob:And blow the last chance I might ever have to be right?
            Jack: What?!
            Sam: Welcome to my life.

General Analysis

Overall, I have to say that love this episode.

We get to see some great interactions between the team and Jacob. It's a shame they didn't use him more often. I love the bickering that goes on between Jacob and Jack, the satisfaction that Sam gets from watching someone else be the focus of Jacob's “I'm always right” attitude, and we get to see funny Daniel, and in my opinion, sexy soldier Daniel . (I mean did you see him running down that hallway with the P90?)

The only thing really missing for me from this episode is more T. And, just how does Apophis brainwash Teal'c in such a short amount of time? It must be something like the zatarc programming that only takes a few minutes because am I wrong in assuming that at the most they are out there a couple of days?

That bit aside, I think this is a great team episode. Jack trying to convince a brainwashed Teal'c that they are friends (Teal'c punching him in the nose), Daniel not quite knowing what to do about being asked to fly a Goa'uld mothership, Sam and Jacob together, Jack and Jacob's banter, replicators (cuz who doesn't love giant mechanical spiders), and they finally kill Apophis (seriously, what a totally nightmarish way to die! Did I mention I am slightly arachnophobic – MS I feel your pain).

One of the aspects of SG-1 that I love so much is the action. And, I love seeing all of them engaged in it. One of my favorite scenes is when Jack, Sam, and Daniel are leap frogging down the hallway shooting up replicators. It is just choreographed so well.

The episode has action, humor, and a little angst, it's a great combination.

Jack & Sam

Not a lot of ship here, but there is definitely some subtext going on. I love when the team splits up and its Jack and Sam going off to get the crystals together. Jack teases Sam but he gets his when Jacob puts him in his place. I think Sam loves that her dad treats Jack like one of the family.

They have a couple of cute exchanges, but nothing that screams ship.

As an episode I give it 4/5 for being such a good team episode.
            For shippyness I gotta go with a 2.5 or 3 cuz there's nothing to make me sigh, but there is enough to make me smirk.
            Last edited by IamDKScully; 19 June 2014, 11:46 AM.
            sigpic

----------
            FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

One of my favorite episodes too. For the same reasons stated.

Maybe since Teal'c had presumably died on Vorash, and they must have put him in a sarcophagus, there was some sort of manipulation they could do while he was in it that brainwashed him?

Comment

Nice review, DKScully!

I can't quite suspend my disbelief that Apophis would end up in the exact same spot in the galaxy as SG-1 through an uncontrolled and inherently random burst of energy. I mean, the galaxy is big. Really big. The chances of the two ships being blown through hyperspace to exactly the same position is miniscule.

Science rant over I too love the banter between Jack and Jacob. And the cute moment where Daniel gets Jack to talk about losing Teal'c.
                Last edited by ajay; 18 June 2014, 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo!

Comment

Awesome review DKS!

You touched every point I would have made and said it better.

I too love this episode! They are like an extended dysfunctional family lost in space.

It may not be overt but I'm still feeling the love between Sam and Jack. And Jacob (and the rest of the team) so knows.

IMHO there's not a single thing wrong with this ep. I give it a 10/10 for entertainment and 9.5/10 for shippiness for all the giggle squee (the only thing missing is the ring to make it official, so to speak ).

Comment

Great review, Skully! Thank you for kicking us off in style!

I love all these eps - for some reason the early episodes are even more special. This one is a great one.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    One of my favorite episodes too. For the same reasons stated.

Maybe since Teal'c had presumably died on Vorash, and they must have put him in a sarcophagus, there was some sort of manipulation they could do while he was in it that brainwashed him?
                    All will be revealed in the next ep.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for a great review, Scully

Comment

Good review Scully.
                        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Nicely done, IDK!

I like the action of this ep, as well (aren't the Replicators good for prompting lots of action?!). My favorite...FAVORITE part is that snarky exchange:

Jack: Excuse me. I distinctly remember someone saying …we're not going to make it. I think we made it.
                          Jacob: I'm sorry, I over reacted. At the time, it looked very much like we weren't going to make it.
                          Jack: Yes, well, maybe next time you'll just wait and see.
                          Jacob: And blow the last chance I might ever have to be right?
                          Sam: Welcome to my life.
                          I know it's a reflection of Jacob's prickly side, but I always chuckle when he gets like this. Perhaps it reminds me of my dad. Jack being the recipient of the remarks is just priceless.

Jacob SO knows.

He's being a good parent and keeping himself from meddling, but he KNOWS.

I do believe that by this time, he is certain that Jack loves her enough to not jeopardize her career. I watch this and think of what's coming on his deathbed -when he finally speaks his mind on the subject.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Included in all you said, Sara, what I love about that scene is that Jacob and Sam are in a subtle way including Jack in their family. It's sort of a "Here's what you can expect from your future Father-in-Law" sort of thing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                              Included in all you said, Sara, what I love about that scene is that Jacob and Sam are in a subtle way including Jack in their family. It's sort of a "Here's what you can expect from your future Father-in-Law" sort of thing.
                              Agreed! There's a really good fic (one of Pol's Campfires for "Secrets" I think) where the team are discussing "meeting the father in law" after Jack meets Jacob for the first time. Daniel says "what about you, Jack?" after talking about Kasuf and Jack flounders thinking he meant Jacob not Sara's father and Sam has to point out that he meant Sara's father not her own. It's hilarious but, given that he calls him "Dad" pretty much from the start, quite believable too
                              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

^^
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X