No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah the first ones, first appearance of the P-90s. i swear after i saw this episode (I was 10/11 at the time it first aired, i grabbed my old legos and i started building me a p90 and pretending i was jack o'neill slaying unas and goa'uld system lords.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      ah the first ones, first appearance of the P-90s. i swear after i saw this episode (I was 10/11 at the time it first aired, i grabbed my old legos and i started building me a p90 and pretending i was jack o'neill slaying unas and goa'uld system lords.
      Ah! That explains it. I was wondering why Jack specifically requested P90s when he was talking to Hammond in the gate room.

hlndncr

Something else shippy for a banner:

sigpic
      sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
        hlndncr

Something else shippy for a banner:

That just doesn't do it for me. They aren't actually next to each other. The look isn't particularly charged. And the dialogue is very uninspiring.

My rule for my shippy ep banners is an S/J pic or line (whether or not it is said by or about S/J) that inspires a shippy result. This ep was very uninspiring from that POV. And the only thing that came close for me was the two of them shooting together.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          That just doesn't do it for me. They aren't actually next to each other. The look isn't particularly charged. And the dialogue is very uninspiring.

My rule for my shippy ep banners is an S/J pic or line (whether or not it is said by or about S/J) that inspires a shippy result. This ep was very uninspiring from that POV. And the only thing that came close for me was the two of them shooting together.
          OK. I just thought some visuals would be nice for the discussion.

Anyway, I thought the look was quite shippy. They're not always next to each other when they exchange these kinds of looks. I mean, Sam doesn't actually say anything in this particular scene at all, so how does Jack know she's even awake? He just seems to know. They're just very aware of each other. And I thought it was a very husband/wife sort of look, like:

: What do you think of this?
          : Beats me!

I agree it's not very charged though. Not from Sam anyway. As far as I'm concerned, Jack is always quietly smouldering.
          sigpic
          sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

Originally posted by Starship Trooper View Post
            OK. I just thought some visuals would be nice for the discussion.

Anyway, I thought the look was quite shippy. They're not always next to each other when they exchange these kinds of looks. I mean, Sam doesn't actually say anything in this particular scene at all, so how does Jack know she's even awake? He just seems to know. They're just very aware of each other. And I thought it was a very husband/wife sort of look, like:

: What do you think of this?
            : Beats me!

I agree it's not very charged though. Not from Sam anyway. As far as I'm concerned, Jack is always quietly smouldering.
            This is true!

Comment

"alright, anybody with a snake in their head raise their hand"

(Hawkins eyes glow and breaks free of his bonds)

"Damn."

Comment

Just read a fanfic involving this episode. Really good.
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

now is it my imagination or does that SG-2 member Captain Griff remind anybody of Kawalsky?
                  Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 25 September 2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Yup! Totally I like Griff. A lot. I love how much he sticks up for Jack and SG-1 in beneath the surface.
                    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Ah Griff, that's his name! Sorry, I've just never worked out his name before.
                      Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
                      If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                        Yup! Totally I like Griff. A lot. I love how much he sticks up for Jack and SG-1 in beneath the surface.
                        he's a good guy. i think this was also the first of apperance of Major Pierce (who later goes on to lead SG-15 and then commands the alpha site)

Comment

he's a good guy. i think this was also the first of apperance of Major Pierce (who later goes on to lead SG-15 and then commands the alpha site)
                          It was probably Pierce's father or grandfather that appears in the gateroom where Ernest Littlefield goes through the gate. The actor that played Pierce was in that scene.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            It was probably Pierce's father or grandfather that appears in the gateroom where Ernest Littlefield goes through the gate. The actor that played Pierce was in that scene.
                            oh really??? that's interesting. well did you know the mike dopud was in within the serpent's grasp?

Comment

oh really??? that's interesting. well did you know the mike dopud was in within the serpent's grasp?
                              Yep. I noticed that a long time ago. MD was in several episodes in non-speaking scenes.

Comment

Banner by Jumble

Scorched Earth
                                Original Air Date : August 25, 2000
                                Directed by Martin Wood
                                Written by Joseph Mallozzi & paul Mullie

Summary

After relocating the Enkarans to a new planet, SG-1 discovers that another alien race has chosen the same planet to rebuild its dead civilization. The team visits the ship and are greeted by an artificial life form named Lotan who explains everything to them about the terraforming project and tells them that he was created in the likeness of the Enkarans in order to better relate to them. The terraforming that the Gadmeer ship begins cannot be reversed as they only have enough raw materials to perform the process once. Both races need the unique ozone of the planet in order to survive.

The Enkarans unique physiology means that the ozone saves them from certain blindness or even death as they cannot withstand the same atmospheric conditions as humans. Carter discovers that the Gadmeer are depositing sulfur-based life forms on the planet and that life as they know it cannot exist on the other side of the energy curtain being created by the ship.

The Enkarans refuse to relocate again as the SGC cannot guarantee that all of their people will be able to be saved. Faced with a standoff that will surely end in the deaths of everyone on the surface of the planet, Jack and Daniel square off over the best way to approach the problem. Jack proposes a military strike against the ship while Daniel disagrees, as does Hammond.

Upon returning to the planet, Jack orders Sam to use the Naquada reactor to create a bomb to target the Gadmeer ship. She reluctantly follows orders and lets the Colonel know that she disagrees with his decision. Meanwhile, Daniel decides to talk to Lotan again and to try to get him to see things differently.

While the clock ticks down on the time to detonate the bomb, Daniel takes Lotan through the Enkaran village and convinces him to rethink the problem. While discussing the situation, Daniel discovers that the Gadmeer ship had found the Enkaran homeworld during its search for planets suitable for reformation. Lotan beams the bomb into the sky, suspends the terraforming project and agrees to relocate the Enkarans to their homeworld.

Favorite Scenes

When SG-1 is beamed aboard the ship and Jack tells Sam not to touch things or open drawers and then Daniel opens the drawer in front of him.

I also really like the scene when Jack orders Sam to make the bomb and her subsequent reactions to that order.

Favorite Lines

Jack: Oh, yeah! Little fuzzy orange things!
                                Jack: So the big mean alien ship is trying to stink up the planet?

Sam: Question is: Will they listen?
                                Jack: The real question is: Will they have ears?

Daniel: What are you doing?
                                Jack: Thinking Daniel. Don’t worry too much about it.

Teal’c: Should you not remain until the return of Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter?
                                Daniel: Well, actually Jack asked me to give him another choice so…technically I’m following an order.

Teal’c: Daniel Jackson has gone to speak with Lotan.
                                Jack: Did you try to stop him?
                                Teal’c: I do not disagree with his intentions.

Jack: You wanna talk me out of this?
                                Sam: Yessir.
                                (silence)

Jack: Tell me, tell me you are not on that ship!
                                Daniel: Ok, I’m not on the ship.

General Analysis

I think this is a great team episode, though as usual, Teal’c is underused. I love the dynamic between Daniel and Jack because we see a different kind of argument in this episode as compared to The Other Side. Daniel is less argumentative in this episode and seems more willing to accept that while Jack’s first instinct is to destroy the ship, he doesn’t want to have to choose between the two civilizations. He accepts the decision and then continues to try and find another way out of the situation. It’s refreshing to see Daniel not jump all over Jack like he tends to do earlier in the season/series.

We’ve seen Jack’s passion come through before, but this episode stands out to me because of the lengths he is willing to go to for the Enkarans. I also love the simplicity of the decision for him. These people are here and those people are dead. Period. You can’t easily trade one for the other but logic dictates that we save those who need saving. It’s not simply his military instinct taking over, he truly believes that this is the right decision.

I also love the dynamic between Jack and Sam in this episode. Here we see that Sam is not only capable of disagreeing with Jack, she is able to voice it. Again looking at The Other Side where Sam stands behind Jack and defends his position to Daniel, here she lets her disagreement with his actions and his orders be known.

Jack & Sam

I think Jack took a big risk when he ordered Sam to create a bomb from the Naquada generator. He knew that she would follow his order but he also knew that ordering her to do it could create problems and possibly harm their relationship. It’s a respect thing. I think that Sam is hurt by his actions but she soldiers on, as expected. However, she makes it clear that she doesn’t believe that Jack is making the right choice in trying to destroy the alien ship.

I like the way Sam hands Jack the detonator after telling him how much time he has to set it off and when he will have to set it off. She is not willing to help anymore than she has already been ordered to do so. She clearly puts the responsibility on him when she hands him the remote. But, she also makes it clear that she is there to support him even though she thinks he’s wrong. And, unlike the way Jack usually jumps all over Daniel for disagreeing with him, Jack is very respectful of Sam’s opinion. He willingly takes the responsibility for creating the explosion.

There is a closeness and comfortability that is reflected between the two of them. Much like in other episodes, you can see how they are in sync when they walk, the way they hold their P90s, and the general closeness they keep. This episode tests their relationship in a way we haven’t really seen before because we’ve never seen Sam openly question or disagree with Jack like this.

As an episode I’d give it 4/5
                                For shippyness I’d give it a 3.5 to 4.
                                sigpic

----------
                                FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Working...
                                X