Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
    I forgot about Colson! Yeah, Jack was *incredibly* jealous of their professional relationship, I remember thinking "wth?! Does Jack know something we don't?" I was expecting Sam to say that they did the naked pretzel on the briefing room table or something!! Of all the guys who rivalled Jack, Colson was the most baffling to be jealous of. Then again, older guy, scientist, sort-of charming (though I'm not buying it, he's British, so what?)

Personally I don't think he holds a candle to Jack for charisma and attractiveness but that's probably just me. I'm English so the appeal of his accent is kinda lost on me, it's a mediocre at best. "Sexy" English to me is Tom "Loki" Hiddleston or Daniel Craig lol!
    Glad it's not just me! And thanks for the 'great' visual! I did not need that in my head...

I also don't think he'd be a real rival to Jack but I can understand him thinking Colson is a threat.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I forgot about Colson! Yeah, Jack was *incredibly* jealous of their professional relationship, I remember thinking "wth?! Does Jack know something we don't?" I was expecting Sam to say that they did the naked pretzel on the briefing room table or something!! Of all the guys who rivalled Jack, Colson was the most baffling to be jealous of. Then again, older guy, scientist, sort-of charming (though I'm not buying it, he's British, so what?)

Personally I don't think he holds a candle to Jack for charisma and attractiveness but that's probably just me. I'm English so the appeal of his accent is kinda lost on me, it's a mediocre at best. "Sexy" English to me is Tom "Loki" Hiddleston or Daniel Craig lol!
      Actually, there was part of a scene that alluded to Sam and Colson having a relationship previously (according to the commentary anyways), but it got cut.

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
        Actually, there was part of a scene that alluded to Sam and Colson having a relationship previously (according to the commentary anyways), but it got cut.
        Really? That's interesting. I wonder why they cut it (perhaps because of the love triangle already present at the time) and what the script said exactly. It certainly explains Jack's comment and pointed look. I do wonder, though, when this relationship was supposed to have taken place considering what we know of Sam...
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Really? That's interesting. I wonder why they cut it (perhaps because of the love triangle already present at the time) and what the script said exactly. It certainly explains Jack's comment and pointed look. I do wonder, though, when this relationship was supposed to have taken place considering what we know of Sam...
          I'll have to watch/listen to the commentary again soon. I'm not sure they talked about when, but it wasn't any time recently.

Comment

Excellent review, IamDKScully *virtual green*

Comment

I'll have to watch/listen to the commentary again soon. I'm not sure they talked about when, but it wasn't any time recently.
              Yeah, figures. But it doesn't really jibe with what we know of Sam's history: she's been involved with the Program (and practically there 24/7) for eight years and before that she was engaged, so probably had a somewhat long-term relationship with Hanson (and at the time of her Pentagon assignment she was pretty busy too*) and hadn't Colson been married with a kid until they died around that time?

Maybe that's why they left it out (or possibly thought Sam had too many love interests)?

* She was in the Gulf in 1991, got her PhD in astrophysics afterwards, worked on genetics with Harlow at the Pentagon and spent a year studying nano-technology prior to working on the gate for two years (and on alternative applications for the gate between the first and second mission to Abydos, apparently).
              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Sheesh. I'm quite glad it was cut, really. Yet another dubious one, despite his charm and accent and all.
                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Back to D&C....

I actually also like the fact that Marty was killed by Sam - as others have said, it helps that she is the one to close the book, rather than Jack. However, I actually kind of (in a strange way) liked Martouf and was sort of sad to see him go.

That said, my FAVOURITE scene in D&C is where the flashback goes to the back where Sam says "Sir, Just Go!" And Jack, who's been beating away at the shield just says "NO" with such force, intensity and emotion and....

The looks she gives him and especially the look he gives her, as if he's just suddenly come face to face with just how deeply his feelings run...

*excuse me while I recover from the Angst...*

Anyway, that's my favorite scene. The one at the end with the slow-mo of him going down the hall is a distant second.

Apparently there's some dialogue that's been cut from the hallway scene but once again, it works so well with just looks. Does anyone know what the lines might have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post

Carter: Something neither one of us can admit given our working relationship, our military ranks?
                    O'Neill: Oh! Oh. That.

That Jack acknowledges that cryptic question makes me believe (again, a personal opinion) that they must have spoken about their attraction to each other somehow, sometime. And that there's a lot more behind the scenes behind this question that we aren't privy to, and that makes my shipper mind work overtime.

I´ve always found that very funny. First Jack doesn't understand what she's talking about but when he does... no denying, no guilt, just a fact. Oh, that. ( I really can't explain it, not in foreign language) Personally, I don't think they've talked about it but they do know about each other's feelings. At least after the force shield.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you Britta for this lovely picture.

Comment

Excellent review of D&C!

Originally posted by IamDKScully View Post
                      Jack also shows a jealous streak around Narim.
                      He's quite snippy with Joe too in 2001. He notices Joe flirting with Sam in the briefing room and then makes fun of his clothes when he joins them in the Gateroom... Really mature response, Jack, why not challenge him to duel?! (I love it lol and now I have images of Joe and Jack fighting for Sam Bridget-Jones-style lol)

There's also something in the way he tells Joe that he shouldn't ask Sam why unless he really wants to know. I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems a little like maybe Jack is trying to put Joe off Sam? I kinda wish Joe had been a few seasons later and had been in Pete's place. That would've been real angst rather than banging our heads against the wall wondering what the hell Sam was doing with that boorish, brainless schmuck - Gah! Even RDA laughed at the idea of Pete being a threat to Jack. It would've been a nice tie-in to "the Aschen future has been altered again" by Sam not marrying Joe.
                      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Excellent review of D&C!

He's quite snippy with Joe too in 2001. He notices Joe flirting with Sam in the briefing room and then makes fun of his clothes when he joins them in the Gateroom... Really mature response, Jack, why not challenge him to duel?! (I love it lol and now I have images of Joe and Jack fighting for Sam Bridget-Jones-style lol)

There's also something in the way he tells Joe that he shouldn't ask Sam why unless he really wants to know. I can't quite put my finger on it but it seems a little like maybe Jack is trying to put Joe off Sam? I kinda wish Joe had been a few seasons later and had been in Pete's place. That would've been real angst rather than banging our heads against the wall wondering what the hell Sam was doing with that boorish, brainless schmuck - Gah! Even RDA laughed at the idea of Pete being a threat to Jack. It would've been a nice tie-in to "the Aschen future has been altered again" by Sam not marrying Joe.
                        Virtual Green cuz you made me laugh out loud with the Bridget Jones reference

And, that would definitely been a whole new ballgame if with Joe instead of Pete!
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I just want to tell everyone that I've really been enjoying all the great reviews!

I have so many comments I want to share, but I've been working like crazy and I just got back from a three day dance camp, which was fabulous until I got food poisoning.

So once I'm feeling better and work is back under control I will catch up!

Meanwhile, keep up the great discussion.

Comment

Excellent review of D&C!

Agreed. Out of all the people that I would've like to see in "Pete's" place, Joe is number. Though I wouldn't mind Colson either. They were both smart, have-it-all-together types, as well as younger, which would have created angst.

I didn't even think about a return of the Aschen storyline. I like that idea

Comment

Wow... look at the discussion for this one!
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Window of Opportunity

Summary:
                                SG-1 visits a planet to study it's coronal mass emissions while Daniel consults with a fellow archaeologist, Malakai, who has been on the planet studying the ruins for many months. It doesn't take long to discover Malakai has another agenda, and when SG-1 doesn't leave the planet after his urging, he renders Daniel unconscious and activates something on the alter in the center of the ruins. Sam runs to help Daniel and a beam of light hits Jack and Teal'c when they attempt to stop Malakai. Jack then finds himself back in the commissary, eating Fruit Loops.

After several loops and several check-ups by Doc Frasier, Jack and Teal'c realize they are in a 10 hour time loop. It is up to them to learn Latin and translate the Ancient writings gathered from the ruins on the planet. After one too many loops, Jack and Teal'c decide to blow off some steam before they go wacko. And, as Daniel points out, they can do anything without consequences.

Hilarity ensues.

After the translations are done, they go back to the planet to confront Malakai. They tell him the people who built the machine did so to try to save their world, but in the end, it didn't work. Malakai only wants to see his wife again, but Jack, having lost his son, convinces him that seeing her would not prevent her death, and watching her die again would be much more painful.

The next day Jack enjoys a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and smirks at Carter. What consequences??

General Score: 10/10

This is one of the most light-hearted episodes of the series, it's fun from the start, with a poignant moment near the end that showcases Richard Dean Anderson's excellent acting chops. The scene where he talks about the loss of his son still tears me up when I watch it.

It's great seeing everyone's comedic side. I love General Hammond's dubious expressions in the briefing room, Teal'c eye-roll when the nurse continues to put the thermometer in his mouth, and Sam's surprise when Jack uses scientific terms in the (somewhat) correct context. Daniel's reaction when Jack corrects his translation is priceless.

Shippy-ness : 8/10

The conversation in the commissary... she talks science, he makes a joke about 1969 (that could also be a double-entendre), they both smile, she looks like she blushes a bit. Nice, sweet moment.

When they return to the planet, Jack immediately raises his P-90 at Malakai, and Sam automatically does the same, even though she doesn't remember the previous events, and he doesn't have to say anything. They are as in-sync as ever!

THE KISS!!!SamandJack019-1.jpg

The scene after the kiss in the briefing room, when he is smiling at her and she's wondering why he looks like the cat who ate the canary.

There was no shippy angst, so that is why I give it an 8. There was plenty of fluff and the wonderful kiss dips down into the gutter a bit!

Favorite lines: (Just a few, I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue!)

: I distinctly remember sitting here listening to Carter prattle on about solar activity and a... a corona, something.

: (dubiously): Maybe he read your report?

: What kind of archeologist carries a weapon?
                                : (raises gun): Um, I do!
                                : Bad example.

: I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?

: Did I not say that your plan would be unsuccessful, Oneill? (T's way of saying, I told you so!)

Unanswered question:
                                What was the question Daniel wanted Jack to answer so ferverently? Any guesses?

Comment

Working...
                                X