Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Amanda is happily married and we don't discuss the actors personal lives in those terms.

We are grateful for the contributions the friendship between Rick and Amanda brought to the characters, but this is a Sam/Jack characters only thread.
    I agree!
    sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by brendini View Post
      One thing I've often wondered about with DYK/JM is how Jack's leg/knee wasn't injured more severely. He was hit by a staff blast! Normally, there's no coming back from that. Add in that they were stuck there, and hadn't he started to develop an infection? (really need to watch it again! Maybe tonight ). It just all conveniently went away.
      Maybe Jack had another one of those handy antibiotic powders packs in his vest like he gave Rya'c in Bloodlines? That could have prevented an infection until they got out. But I do agree that half his leg should have been burned if not ripped off by the blast considering previous injuries we've seen. But maybe this Jaffa (like everyone except the awesome sharp shooters like Bra'tac, Teal'c and other Rebel Jaffa) had bad aim and it just skimmed Jack's leg?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        Maybe Jack had another one of those handy antibiotic powders packs in his vest like he gave Rya'c in Bloodlines? That could have prevented an infection until they got out. But I do agree that half his leg should have been burned if not ripped off by the blast considering previous injuries we've seen. But maybe this Jaffa (like everyone except the awesome sharp shooters like Bra'tac, Teal'c and other Rebel Jaffa) had bad aim and it just skimmed Jack's leg?
        Maybe Sokar didn't trust his enforcer with a full power weapon.

Comment

Amanda is happily married and we don't discuss the actors personal lives in those terms.

We are grateful for the contributions the friendship between Rick and Amanda brought to the characters, but this is a Sam/Jack characters only thread.
          Oki doki, my bad. Never mention it again. Realise now i screwed up. Could we act like this never happened?
          Last edited by Scofield; 24 July 2013, 06:07 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Or maybe the jaffa just wanted to make him shut up cause he was annoying, maybe he never intented to make a hole in his leg, just to hurt him to close his mouth.
            sigpic

Comment

Maybe Sokar didn't trust his enforcer with a full power weapon.
              Perhaps. Makes sense, I guess.

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
              Or maybe the jaffa just wanted to make him shut up cause he was annoying, maybe he never intented to make a hole in his leg, just to hurt him to close his mouth.
              Except whatever his intentions were the staff weapon's blast would still have the same strength/power as it would if the Jaffa did want to hurt him. Even a badly aimed hit would have done more damage, in my opinion.

Still, the show has a history of inconsistency when it comes to Jaffa weapons, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Good point, who knows, maybe it's something to do with the plasma used for the staff. Maybe that's what determine the power of the blast and combined with a bad aimed hit...
                sigpic

Comment

Still, the show has a history of inconsistency when it comes to Jaffa weapons, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
                  Seriously, how did the Goa'uld conquer the galaxy? Not only are their soldiers armed with large cumbersome weapons that I would assume make running after your enemy extremely difficult, but their aim is almost laughable! (No offense, Teal'c.)
                  sigpic

----------
                  FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Originally posted by roque872002 View Post
                    In my mind.... *so married*

They couldn't get married, unfortunately, if Jack is still in Sam's chain of command, but there's nothing saying they couldn't meet in secret. However, that doesn't seem like something that either character would do, imo. But with Jack now in Washington, perhaps...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kali View Post
                      They couldn't get married, unfortunately, if Jack is still in Sam's chain of command, but there's nothing saying they couldn't meet in secret. However, that doesn't seem like something that either character would do, imo. But with Jack now in Washington, perhaps...
                      In the space between Season 8 and 9, they weren't actually in the same chain of command. Jack was going to Washington and Sam was going to Area 51 to be in charge of Research & Development. It was a very small window of time (opportunity?), but it was time enough for them to get married before Sam got called back to the SGC.

Comment

In my mind Sam and Jack are definitely married. I think they are too honorable to have a relationship contrary to the regulations.

After S8 Jack takes a nebulous position in Washington that is never fully defined. We call it head of Homeworld Security but no one ever says that in the show until SGU when Jack is head of Homeworld Command, which appears to be something like one of the unified commands that currently exist over various geographic regions. Jack's region would be space I suppose.

From what I know of my own experience working in Congress and with the military and the White House I would say that Jack's original position was something akin to a military/security advisor to the President. This wouldn't have any direct command authority over the SGC, any related program or Sam.

However, because there are limited individuals with the kind of expertise and command experience for this work it was inevitable Jack and Sam would end up in the same chain of command again at one point. Therefore, I can see them choosing to marry right away to avoid any possible conflict in the future. Once they are married the Air Force has to deal with it. If they don't marry they are subject to having their relationship become forbidden again and they would have to deal with it.

Therefore, I firmly believe they married between S8 and S9.

Comment

However, because there are limited individuals with the kind of expertise and command experience for this work it was inevitable Jack and Sam would end up in the same chain of command again at one point. Therefore, I can see them choosing to marry right away to avoid any possible conflict in the future. Once they are married the Air Force has to deal with it. If they don't marry they are subject to having their relationship become forbidden again and they would have to deal with it.
                          I was thinking about this the other day and completely agree. I do believe they would've gotten married as soon as it was possible for them to do so. I really don't see them taking it slowly or dating after all those years.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

In my mind Sam and Jack are definitely married. I think they are too honorable to have a relationship contrary to the regulations.

After S8 Jack takes a nebulous position in Washington that is never fully defined. We call it head of Homeworld Security but no one ever says that in the show until SGU when Jack is head of Homeworld Command, which appears to be something like one of the unified commands that currently exist over various geographic regions. Jack's region would be space I suppose.

From what I know of my own experience working in Congress and with the military and the White House I would say that Jack's original position was something akin to a military/security advisor to the President. This wouldn't have any direct command authority over the SGC, any related program or Sam.

Therefore, I firmly believe they married between S8 and S9.
                            Wasn't it mentioned at some point that Jack took over Hammond's old job at HWS? In New Order Weir explains Hammond's new position:

WEIR
                            No, General Hammond is being promoted. He'll be overseeing all things relating to Earth's defence on behalf of the Pentagon and Washington—the SGC, the 303 program, the Antarctic site. Unofficially, it's being called, 'Homeworld Security'.

So, if Jack took that position he wouldn't have been in charge of Area 51 (yet, as I assume that'll fall under it eventually as well) and thus he and Sam would have temporarily (a few months, if I'm not mistaken) been out of the same chain and free to date and get married.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Wasn't it mentioned at some point that Jack took over Hammond's old job at HWS? In New Order Weir explains Hammond's new position:

WEIR
                              No, General Hammond is being promoted. He'll be overseeing all things relating to Earth's defence on behalf of the Pentagon and Washington—the SGC, the 303 program, the Antarctic site. Unofficially, it's being called, 'Homeworld Security'.

So, if Jack took that position he wouldn't have been in charge of Area 51 (yet, as I assume that'll fall under it eventually as well) and thus he and Sam would have temporarily (a few months, if I'm not mistaken) been out of the same chain and free to date and get married.
                              It is never confirmed that Jack took the position Weir described.

Whatever it's called it can't be a separate command or government division without Congressional approval and Senate confirmation. Further promotion also requires congressional approval. This becomes problematic with the secret nature of the Stargate program and I have a hard time believing the entire Senate is briefed on the program.

Moreover what Weir says makes no sense because no one acts on behalf of "the Pentegon" and "Washington" because those terms are far too broad to explain in which department this position actually falls. If it is a part of the department of defense it's not a direct chain of command position, but a position within the civilian agency that oversees the military. If Washington means the President then that is a part of his national security team, also civilian advisor role and not an Air Force command position. Additionally, the Joint Chiefs are military advisors to the Secretary of Defense and the President. The only way to make that a military command position is to create a unified command, which they eventually did in SGU. But that would take time and we have no idea when it actually happened. In the meanwhile I think it is perfectly in line with cannon to assume Jack is a military advisor to the President in creating the unified command with oversight over these programs and no direct command authority. It also is more plausibly in line with the reality of how the defense department and the executive office of the President is organized and run.

Comment

I figured Weir's phrasing is to clarify it's the military part of the USA it oversees, meaning the IOA (like Woolsey and those foreign diplomats) still exists and has some influence in the Program but is not part of HWS.
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X