Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
    you know until i saw an episode of TNG i did not know that the gamekeeper and reg Broccoli Barclay was played by the same actor.
    And he was Murdock on the A-Team way before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
      And he was Murdock on the A-Team way before that.
      Say what? No way!! I didn't know that! I love the A-Team.

Methinks I need to watch this episode again...

Comment

by me

Nice review of Need selene!

I'm not crazy about this episode. It does have a few nice shippy moments, which selene did an excellent job pointing out.

His look at her when Daniel runs after the princess, “I hate it when he does that”

His concern when Pyrus grabs her and runs his hand through her hair

Their mutual amusement over Daniel when they hear Shyla has a crush on him

When they're still in the mines her resting next to him and falling asleep exhausted

I did spot something new for me on this rewatch and I'm calling it shippy because there was touching.

When SG-1 attempts to escape from the mines. Jack holds his arm out for Sam and protectively places a hand on her back as they turn to run down the tunnel.

by Aveo Amacus

Comment

Yep that's shippy enough for me hlndncr
          sigpic
          Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

I apologize for the lack of outline for this review. I closed on a house on Friday and have been running around between my apartment and the new house trying to get everything done. Of course, I have been looking forward to re-watching the episode and posting my review, but the bank finally decided we would close at the most inconvenient time. I barely had time to re-watch the episode and get something together. I hope this will suffice.

Thor's Chariot

At the beginning of the episode, Sam is briefing General Hammond using the starmap when an unexpected incoming wormhole has the entire team converge in control room with Teal'c early frown so intense we didn't know Chris Judge was as handsome as he is.

Jack tried out some pursed lips as we waited to see who was calling. The worm hole closes and everyone is puzzled when no one comes through the gate. Apparently, Cimmeria has sent only the Sagon Institute box containing uridium – the box that SG-1 left on their last visit and asked the Cimmerians to give to Thor should they ever meet him.

Gerwyn is heartbreaking in her plea to SG-1 "The Entyns have come. Please help us.” The Cimmerians are no longer the prideful, confident, bordering on arrogant(but in a charming way) people they were in Season 1’s episode entitled “Thor’s Hammer”.

In the briefing to decide whether or not SG-1 should try to help the Cimmerians, it is mentioned that their world was safe for 1000 years until SG1 showed up.

Teal'c: The destruction of the Hammer device to save my life may have caused this. If so, I am responsible. [Teal’c “MAY HAVE"??? YOU THINK?]
            Jack: I gave the order
            Daniel: And I fired the staff at the machine.
            Sam: And I… [extended pause] …was there.

Upon arrival on Cimmeria, SG-1 views the carnage, checking for survivors among the dead bodies surrounding the gate. [My disks are not HD - weird movement on top of each of the Hatak pyramid ships.]

I luv how Sam is the one who expresses sympathy to Gerwyn for the loss of her family. Sam no longer worries that she must appear tough in front of the guys. She is now comfortable enough with her team to just be herself.

A staff blast interrupts the reunion and our heros take cover and return the Jaffa’s fire. Jack tosses a grenade and SG-1 and Gerwyn make for the trees. After giving the Jaffa the slip, Daniel suggests that Kendra, being formerly possessed by a goaul’d might be able to help. I find it weird that Gerwyn, instead of informing Daniel that Kendra is dead, she takes them to her grave. How could she think this would help? Dramatic flair to advance the story, I suppose - or to establish Sam's use of goaul’d technology since hosting Jolinar. [Perhaps the show had planned to incorporate this into future episodes but other than “Seth”, and a brief moment in “Meridian” it was never dealt with.

Funny moment:
            Jack to Sam who is wearing the Goau’ld hand device: "Watch where you're pointin' that thing."

SG-1 is taken to a cave in which the Cimmerians have been hiding. They meet Olaf, a reminder of what we picture ancient Norseman would like like. At first, the Olaf expesses reluctance to accept SG-1’s assistance and calls our heros "dogs of Mitgar" But once these warriors hear Teal'c's warrior-speak - "I will remain here to do battle with you until the goua'ld is driven from this land" – they agree to allow SG-1 to help. Jack, Teal’c and Olaf set off to scout out the Jaffa numbers.

Gerwyn tells Sam and Daniel that "if only we could gain access to the Hall of Thor's Might, I know he would help us." The hall in which Thor placed all of his power with which to protect us.”

Jack, Teal’c and Olaf come across three pyramid landing platforms that appear to be in various states of construction or disrepair [all are missing complete tops but no one mentioned they were damaged or being built??? I have viewed this episode many times and have never made sense of what was going on – if anyone has an answer for me…?]

Jack, Teal’c and Olaf, drop for cover into the grass and view. The Return of the Horus guards. Jack questions where they came from as they wear the helmets that were worn by Ra’s palace guards. Teal’c explains that Heruer is the son of Ra and Hathor, much feared even among the Goau’ld.

Olaf has been discovered and Her'uer, dressed as a Hourus guard is doling out punishment as he questions Olaf as to SG-1’s whereabouts: “Kneel before your god!”

Olaf holds stong and spits out: “Our god is Thor who taught us to stand as equals!”

Jack and Teal’c to the rescue with Teal’c using a Tauri handgun. A first and the last time we see him using a Tauri weapon until Season 8.

Back at the Cimmarian’s hideout, Daniel says “We’ll just have to hide out in here until things calm down.” To which, Teal’c replies, “They will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up.”
            Jack, serving as Teal’c’s interpreter adds “He means escalate, of course.” I love that Jack is Teal’c’s translator of the colloquial.

The team splits with Jack and Teal’c leaving to slow the advancement of the Jaffa upon the Cimmerian’s hideout; and Daniel, Sam and Gerwyn set off to find Thor’s Hall of Might.

Gerwyn leads them to a totem that bears an obelisk which transports them to an actual hall. To Daniel’s surprise, there are no wall transcriptions or symbols. [I find it hard to imagine that throughout the centuries, no one has disobeyed and touched the obelisk’s stone.] The Asgard are at least benevolent enough to allow their “worshippers” an escape from the hall; or at least I assume an escape is provided as there are no skeletons or dead bodies lying around.

Thor appears [a version of our original ancient interpretation of Thor, complete with an anvil of a hammer] and informs his vistors that they are not yet worthy to “witness Thor’s might” and then vanishes. Sam explains that Thor’s vissage is only a hologram. Daniel seems perplexed at the thought, so we know that Gerwyn has absolutely no idea what is going on. The room begins to shake and Gerwyn is sure that Thor is displeased and wishes to kill them. Instead, dim light has revealed the room is a deep cavern with a narrow stone bridge to cross. Sam crosses the bridge, followed by Gerwyn who gets about a quarter of the way across and freezes. Sam begins to start toward Gerwyn to assist her when Daniel intervenes stating that Sam is already across and, in spite of his fear of heights, he will help Gerwyn across. Gerwyn places her hand with all her weight on a loose stone sending her and Daniel tumbling off the stone bridge into the precipice! Sam gasps, but then is relieved as she sees that the room once again has returned to a solid wall-to-wall floor!

Thor appears and tells our pilgrims that this was a test and that “willingness to sacrifice oneself in order to save another is an honorable trait”. Apparently, they have proven themselves worthy to move to the next test – to prove wisdom by solving the “riddle of the runes”. Daniel and Sam speculate as to how the hologram of Thor could perceive their actions.

The runes are revealed and Sam reminds Daniel that they are in a hurry and don’t have time to study the symbols. Another indication that Daniel’s contribution to the team is still underestimated at this point. Still, he interprets each ancient symbol concluding they reveal “Thor’s Chariot”; but he is stumped by the simple geometric shapes upon one of the walls. In frustration, Daniel informs the women, “The Norse runes became numbers in later years 3-14-15-9. It doesn’t mean anything.” Sam speaks up because it means something in her language “3.14159 - it’s pi”. Daniel asks the hologram of Thor if the answer is “pi”, but then realizes our terminology would mean nothing to an alien. He goes to the symbol which the surface seems to be some sort of sticky sand and proceeds to draw a line from the center to a point on the circumference. The symbol retracts and the hologram of Thor dissolves to show an Asgard (or Roswell grey) alien!

Jack and Teal’c set charges thoughout the woods as Olaf looks puzzled at the devices. As they sit and scout out the terrain, Olaf sounds the alarms to the “sons of Mitgar” of the approaching Jaffa. Olaf expresses doubt in the “Mitgareans” as Jack and Teal’c nix a direct assault, but instead lay in wait for the Jaffa. They easily take out the first contingent with Jack’s P90 and Teal’c’s staff weapon. Olaf is impressed and in awe that “thunder and fire, you do possess Thor’s might!” Suddenly, Olaf unexpectedly throws his hammer in Jack and Teal’c’s direction landing it squarely in the chest of the Jaffa coming up behind them, effectively saving the lives of our heroes.

Thor is pleased that his protected subjects have advanced to a level sophisticated enough to understand the runes but then is somewhat annoyed that it is not the Cimmerians, but “outsiders” intererence that has duped him into revealing his true appearance. He reveals that he is not a hologram but is aboard his ship, The Listner. [I believe from my high school mythology course that The Listner was Thor’s Norse ship for sailing on water. I’m sorry but I don’t have time to research it and look it up.]

Daniel reveals to Thor the destruction of the Hammer by SG-1. Sam and Daniel ask Thor for the weapons of his “might” as Cimmerian lore and legend would have it, but Thor informs him there are no weapons in the Hall of Might but rather, the hall was there so that once the Cimmerians were advanced enough, the Asgard would reveal their true selves.

Sam and Daniel now have a real challenge to meet – informing Jack that they found no weapons, but they did meet the real Thor.

Outside, the head Jaffa yells that SG-1 must surrender or die, and if they choose death, the villagers will suffer the same fate. Accepting responsibility for the chaos they brought to this world, SG-1 unanimously decides to surrender.

As they are being walked to the Jaffa camp, the sky darkens. An Asgard mother ship casts a very big shadow and begins removing all alien life from the planet except for SG-1. As the enemies vanish, Gerwyn is beamed down. She informs SG-1 that the Etins are gone and Thor has a message for SG-1 that the Asgard are “friend to all, protector to all except the goaul’d. Jack responds that he would like to meet Thor, but Gerwyn says that Thor gave her a message just for him – “You are still much too young.” That comment, sounding almost identical to the comment made by the Nox, makes one wonder if the Nox and the Asgard were humorously discussing the advancement of humans over a cup of whatever passes for alien coffee.

The Asguard will install a new Hammer that will return protection to Cimmeria. The new hammer will discern Teal’c’s presence and allow him and SG-1 to visit anytime.

It would seem that this episode establishes Daniel’s vital contribution to the team as they learn, along with the audience, how his faith and knowledge in archeo-mythology having a basis in fact is vital in fighting the goau’ld.

Ship? Er, ah… they stand next to each other when they come through the gate?

Again, I apologize for rushing this review and for it’s lack of any type of organization or focus.
            sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Great review, Ramona! SJ_green.gif

There are a few things I disagree with but that's mostly stuff from later episodes (e.g. Teal'c uses Tauri weapons when battling the Replicators and not just in season 8) and I like how elaborate your review is. I do agree with the lack of shippiness but since this episode is quite nice already I don't think it's that bad. At least it's a lot better than the first time SG-1 goes to Cimmeria...
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

fems, please do post all discrepancies! Thanks for the correction about Teal'c and Tauri weapons. I did not have time to check or verify anything. I really would have liked to have looked up some facts that we know from Norse mythology that tie in with the episode. It's 6aam here and I've been up since 4, preparing for the movers. I spent all day yesterday cleaning the new house which has been vacant for sooo long and yet I don't understand how, when we viewed the house in October the bathrooms were clean, and now they looked like public gas station toilets! Anyway, missing the site and everybody here. I can't wait to get settled in and everything return to normal.

P.S., sorry for any typos in my review as my ipad never cooperates and I didn't proof it. So sorry.

Comment

thanks so much for your review, yep i agree not the most shippy of episoodes but i will male sure i have my strongest prescription shipper glasses on when i watch it.

Good luck with your house move xx
                  sigpic

Comment

Fixing the order.

SEASON 2 SHIPPERS REWATCH

This is the schedule i have so far, as you can see not all that many spots left for review, so if you fancy having a go, let me know. It doesnt have to be a massive piece of work, we have just done it in a format of synopsis, general discussion, Sam/Jack

I'm sticking to one review every 5 days or else it will take us just too long to get through the season

12th Jan - The serpents lair - sarabahama
                    17th Jan - In the line of duty- meredithe5
                    22nd Jan - Prisoners – Hedwig
                    27th Jan - The gamekeeper - hlndncr
                    1st Feb - Need - Selene
                    6th Feb - Thors chariot- Ramona the pest
                    11th Feb - Message in a bottle - SGSuzi
                    16th Feb - Family - SGsuzi
                    21st Feb - Secrets – Lt.Col John Sheppard
                    26th Feb - Bane - Lt.Col John Sheppard
                    3rd Mar - The tokra pt 1and 2 – sparky she demon
                    8th Mar - Spirits- Hedwig
                    13th Mar - Touchstone- hlndncr
                    18th Mar - The fifth race – meredithe5
                    23rd Mar - A matter of time- sarabahama
                    28th Mar - Holiday - Hlndncr
                    2nd Apr - Serpents song - Lt.Col John Sheppard
                    7th Apr - One false step - Ramona the pest
                    12th Apr - Show and tell - sparky she demon
                    17th Apr - 1969 - sgsuzi
                    22nd Apr - Out of Mind - samfan13

Comment

I could try an episode, since I have a bit more time this coming week, but I don't see any free slot.
                      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I'm working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week right now, plus teaching dance classes on Wednesdays and Fridays so I'm getting behind on my rewatch ficlets.

by Padme

Thanks for the Thor's Chariot review Ramona!

It's an alright episode, but definitely not much shippy. This is all I got:

Jack checks Sam out while she is briefing Hammond

Nice look between them in the briefing when they're trying to convince Hammond to let them go back

I would have liked to see Sam and Kendra together. Sam was very unsympathetic to Kendra in Thor's Hammer. I think it would have been interesting to see how differently she approached Kendra after Jolinar. I think it could have been a powerful scene.

I absolutely love our first look at Thor. The Norse gods of ancient myth are actually Roswell greys. How unique and awesome is that? What a great idea! And of course he becomes a great buddy as the series goes on.

So while this episode has so many great repercussions for the future of the series it isn't in itself very memorable.

Also, if anyone wants to add banners to their reviews feel free to use any of these (by many shippers) or these (by me). Just be sure to give proper credit.

Comment

Quote Hlndncr
                          SNIPPED

...I absolutely love our first look at Thor. The Norse gods of ancient myth are actually Roswell greys. How unique and awesome is that? What a great idea! And of course he becomes a great buddy as the series goes on.

So while this episode has so many great repercussions for the future of the series it isn't in itself very memorable.
                          Yes, the reveal of Thor was great. When his ship began taking people, it felt ominous; made even more so for some reason by Jacks nonchalance of it all. I originally thought that Thor would have a close relationship with Daniel because of his ancient (little "A") knowledge of the Asgard through mythology. So it was surprising the uniquely close relationship that became Jack/Thor (no"slash" ship intended - lol).

And what's really great is - I didn't even think about Thor is not an actual person but an inanimate object when I wrote of how he relates to/with Daniel and Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            Great review, Ramona! [ATTACH=CONFIG]36902[/ATTACH]

There are a few things I disagree with but that's mostly stuff from later episodes (e.g. Teal'c uses Tauri weapons when battling the Replicators and not just in season 8) and I like how elaborate your review is. I do agree with the lack of shippiness but since this episode is quite nice already I don't think it's that bad. At least it's a lot better than the first time SG-1 goes to Cimmeria...
                            Fems, I meant it. Post what you disagree with. That's what makes it a discussion

Also, like I said, I was very distracted so am interested in where I got it wrong and/or where you see scenes/relationships differently. (I usually find your different perspective interesting.)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                              Fems, I meant it. Post what you disagree with. That's what makes it a discussion

Also, like I said, I was very distracted so am interested in where I got it wrong and/or where you see scenes/relationships differently. (I usually find your different perspective interesting.)
                              Maybe some other time like this weekend, if I'm in the mood; my wrist is still acting up a bit so no long posts by me as I prefer to spent the energy (and time) I have on writing...
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                                Fixing the order.

SEASON 2 SHIPPERS REWATCH

This is the schedule i have so far, as you can see not all that many spots left for review, so if you fancy having a go, let me know. It doesnt have to be a massive piece of work, we have just done it in a format of synopsis, general discussion, Sam/Jack

I'm sticking to one review every 5 days or else it will take us just too long to get through the season

12th Jan - The serpents lair - sarabahama
                                17th Jan - In the line of duty- meredithe5
                                22nd Jan - Prisoners – Hedwig
                                27th Jan - The gamekeeper - hlndncr
                                1st Feb - Need - Selene
                                6th Feb - Thors chariot- Ramona the pest
                                11th Feb - Message in a bottle - SGSuzi
                                16th Feb - Family - SGsuzi
                                21st Feb - Secrets – Lt.Col John Sheppard
                                26th Feb - Bane - Lt.Col John Sheppard
                                3rd Mar - The tokra pt 1and 2 – sparky she demon
                                8th Mar - Spirits- Hedwig
                                13th Mar - Touchstone- hlndncr
                                18th Mar - The fifth race – meredithe5
                                23rd Mar - A matter of time- sarabahama
                                28th Mar - Holiday - Hlndncr
                                2nd Apr - Serpents song - Lt.Col John Sheppard
                                7th Apr - One false step - Ramona the pest
                                12th Apr - Show and tell - sparky she demon
                                17th Apr - 1969 - sgsuzi
                                22nd Apr - Out of Mind - samfan13
                                whoa....i did the list from my season 2 disc, i never realised it was so completely screwed up, i know the european/oz season 8 disc was mixed up but didnt realise this one was too

thanks for the fix, going to have to check all the discs now
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X