No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great review, hedwig. I'd green you but I have to spread it around first.

There's just one thing I wanted to add; when Daniel raised his doubts about Linea Jack did kind of brush him off as you said, but he also implied that he didn't care as long as they could get out of there by saying something along the lines of people doing what they have to to survive in prison. I figured that applied to the situation they found themselves in too, seeing as how she could help them get out of there and back to the SGC.

Perhaps that's selfish but Jack, as team commander, has to keep his team alive and safely back home. Considering what little we know of Jack's black ops past I don't doubt he'd willingly shoulder the responsibility [of getting out and taking Linea with them] if it gets his team home safely. Plus, at this point he has no idea what the Taldor will do to any reinforcements Hammond will send so there's a chance more of their people will end up there after trying to bargain for SG-1's freedom...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Prisoners comments on review and episode

Good insights, Hedwig, except I tell myself that gate travel is still so new that this is a learning episode for the team so they aren't more questioning and cautious of Linea as they should be. Daniel can't even think of very many gate addresses to dial out at this point.

I read your review first so I'd know where to keep an eye out for any shippy moments that I might have missed in the past. But, alas - nada. But I did notice that Linea did not use her device to save Sam, she merely spoke the big guy's name - Vishner. She only used the device to save Daniel once Vishner decided he was ousted from position as her second so she could no longer control him by intimidation.

I agree Sam would never have won the fight with Vishner, even if it was the superbad Sam from season 1's oppressed women episode that defeated the warlord - Vishner was just too big and, grabbing her from behind, had her at a disadvantage. But then they made her almost helpless during the team fight in this episode, being blocked from crossing the inmates linked arms like a child in a rough game of Red Rover. Where are the martial arts skills? Everyone had their back to her as if she were no more threat than a flea and yet she did not use any technique to attempt to break through the line. I wish they had more consistency in her fighting abilities in these early episodes. Which is it - superbad or helpless female? Or even somewhere in between. Which is it?

[strikeout]I agree, I don't get how SG-1's arrival "alters the balance of power". I would understand this if they challenged Linea in some way causing the inmates to think they can join with SG-1 against Linea, but that wasn't the case.[/strikeout] On viewing more of the episode, I see that SG-1 challenged Vishner creating a situation where Linea had to choose who he supported - SG-1 in order to get what he needs from them. That upset the balance and forced Vishna and his crew to rebel against her leadership no matter how afraid they are of her legend. Now SG-1 are her favorites wish in Vishna's view unseats him as her favorite or second in authority. (I can't think of a better way to word that, sorry).

Luv Jack pulling off Daniel's glasses and Daniel's realization that Jack's past is even darker than he thought.

I appreciate that this episode addresses some adult themes, albeit with a very light touch.

Linea: "this woman is under my protection, no man shall take her"
      Linea to Sam: "...I know what it is to be a woman on Haldante"
      shoe stealer to Teal'c: "maybe we shall become friends?"

The series has ever dealt with the realities that Sam would have faced as a woman prisoner thrown in with men; although, I'm glad they haven't. I'll chalk that up with the fantasy we get to enjoy of never seeing them have to deal with bathroom issues when they're all trapped together somewhere.

Linea says "we both have something the other wants" but she says it before she knows SG-1 has the knowledge to operate the Stargate. They had not offered her anything as yet.

Sooooo agree about giving Sam giving Linea access and explaining computers and everything to her and even having her on base without a couple of armed guards in the room . But I guess Linea is why they came to require those procedures.

It's also unlikely, I don't care how big a genius you are, to be shown a device like a computer that you've never seen before and be able to operate it - heck, even if you, by some savant miracle could process computer code that you've never heard/seen before (remember, you don't even know what a computer is) just speed typing on the QWERTY keyboard would stump you - that is, assuming you understood the alpha numeric symbols on the darn thing in the first place!

I know, it sounds like I hate this episode, but I don't. It's just when you watch something for the bazillionth time, you can nitpick everything that doesn't fit that you never even noticed the first half dozen times you watched it.
      sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Grrrrr. Tried to GREEN Hedwig for her review; Fems for her picspam; and hldancer for her amazing ficlets that - I just don't know how you do it - managing to yin the yang on the new and later episodes. I tried to green AmberLM for something a few days ago and got the same "you need to spread it around" message. This has been happening for a few weeks now. There's only so many of us around right now. What do they want me to do? Spread it around like manure? I'm very judicious with my green and don't go around just willy-nilly dishing it out. *Hmmmmmm. Maybe I take Stargate a little to seriously????*.
        sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
          Grrrrr. Tried to GREEN Hedwig for her review; Fems for her picspam; and hldancer for her amazing ficlets that - I just don't know how you do it - managing to yin the yang on the new and later episodes. I tried to green AmberLM for something a few days ago and got the same "you need to spread it around" message. This has been happening for a few weeks now. There's only so many of us around right now. What do they want me to do? Spread it around like manure? I'm very judicious with my green and don't go around just willy-nilly dishing it out. *Hmmmmmm. Maybe I take Stargate a little to seriously????*.
          Unfortunately, it does mean exactly that....you've got to green some others first before it comes back full circle....
          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            I always lighten up the photograph, just because they are often so darkly lit that it's hard to see what's being pointed out. This one shows up the hug more clearly.

[]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/jmprnP/PDVD_001-1_zps7fc08773.jpg[/IMG]
            I enlarged it til it was fuzzy but there is no missing the blond woman (aka Sam)thoroughly, completely wrapped in Jack's arms.
            sigpic
            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Completely agree with the stuff about Linea being able to use a computer. That just doesn't make any sense. Even if she could read and understand the letters and symbols then she wouldn't be able to type in everything she did in the amount of time she supposedly did so.

Have you ever given an elderly person with no computer knowledge at all a chance to type something on your computer/laptop? Those that have had some typing training at typewriters in the good old days try to punch through your keyboard and still don't type smoothly (usually only using two fingers). It is funny to watch though

Plus, haven't we seen that setting the self-destruct requires two officers with high enough clearance in the past? Or am I messing up my timeline here? I know Kawalsky managed it in The Enemy Within but I think they changed it afterwards and already needed two people to override it... still needed two people in A Matter of Time but that hasn't happened yet here.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                Where do you find those SG ribbons, Zoser?
                I thought that the SGC's fight against the Goa'uld should be acknowledged by a battle ribbon and medal. The very talented Mala50 made them both for me. The medal is below

and the ribbon is in my sig.
                Of course Jack cannot wear these in public but maybe he will frame them and hang them in his office.
                sigpic
                Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                  I thought that the SGC's fight against the Goa'uld should be acknowledged by a battle ribbon and medal. The very talented Mala50 made them both for me. The medal is below

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Med_Goauld.gif

and the ribbon is in my sig.
                  Of course Jack cannot wear these in public but maybe he will frame them and hang them in his office.
                  What other ones has Zzoser made?
                  sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Yeah I often get the same message Grrr! And thank you for my virtual green
                    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                      Yeah I often get the same message Grrr! And thank you for my virtual green
                      I get that message a lot too! Irritating isn't it?
                      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Thanks for the virtual green.

With a lot of these earlier episodes the ship is often implied. I mean, we know it's there. But sometimes it can be hard for others to see. So I look for connections toSam and Jack's past, present and future that might bring it out. Sometimes the stories just write themselves and sometimes I really have to work at it.

I learn more about the ship as I do it and I hope everyone else can just read and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Back on the ficlet train again. (These things are starting to get long. I may need to work on my longwindedness - is that a word?)
                          The Serpent's Lair
                          ...that was quite lovely.

At least I had the courtesy to use spoilers!
                          So now . . .
                          SAM!!!!
                          awww...cut me some slack! The touch-screen keyboard on my tablet doesn't nave the boxy parentheses that create the spoiler, so I couldn't spoiler it...

...besides...I was baited...
                          >.<

One more tonight. (SaraB will disagree with this, but I hope she will like it anyway. )
                          In the Line of Duty
                          Always...just because I see it one way doesn't mean I can't enjoy a ficlet or fic from another POV (which is why I can read some AUs). Good job.

I'm off schedule -I'll wait to watch Prisoners before I comment.
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks for your review of Prisoners, hedwig.

Here are a couple of arties from the episode:

by Achaja

by hlndncr

Comment

Shippy moments (such as they are):

He checks she’s alright after being attacked

His bragging to Linea about how she figured out how to work the Gate

He gives her a little slap on the arm to get her attention.

Her concern when the boys are getting their butts kicked

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post

awww...cut me some slack! The touch-screen keyboard on my tablet doesn't nave the boxy parentheses that create the spoiler, so I couldn't spoiler it...

...besides...I was baited...
                                >.<

Excuses, excuses.

Oh, and for the record, as a general rule I don't write AUs.

Comment

Working...
                                X