This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jace021903
    Yeah, there are definately some people who cross a line. Maybe I'm just sensitive but there is something wrong to me to read shippy/slashy implications from a picture of two actors.

I've read comments that say things like it's too bad AT is married or wishing she would leave her husband so she and RDA could get together...

Ship, slash, whatever, just keep a clear line between the characters and the actors.
    I think the people who have always bothered me the most in that regard are the ones that really get furious if one of the actors doesn't say exactly what they want to hear. For example, on the 200th episode special Amanda said that her favorite kisses were with the the DeLuise brother who played Pete. I saw a lot of very angry and mean comments written towards Amanda from some Jack/Sam shippers who hated her for not saying that Richard was the best even though she fully explained her reasoning behind her choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict
      I don't think that even if Sam and Jack did have a relationship (and I along with other shippers believe that they are together now) that he would do anything to compromise Sam's credibility or her military standing.
      I don't think Jack would deliberately either but it's all a matter of perception.
      It would be perceived as nepotism, even if it wasn't. The non frat regs are there to protect Sam, not to thwart romantic leanings.
      Just imagine, you work in the SGC. Even if Sam was no longer under his direct control, every promotion, every good report would be the talk of the watercooler. People talk about their coworkers, particularly in an enclosed, high stress enviroment like the SGC. And everyone knows about the no frat regs, it's no secret, there would always be some, less clever, less pretty than Sam who would love to tarnish her image.
      Jack would also be hyperaware of her reputation and what even an hint of impropriety would do to her career prospects; being a woman trying to get up the promotion ladder (and Sam has always been portrayed as a career soldier) it's incredibly difficult to get ahead and getting ahead would give her more leeway to continue her research, more resorces and funding.

I don't think that Jack would use his power (being a superior officer to get her ahead in the AF)...that just isn't the kind of person he is; those regs are there, they prevent romantic interludes, but not romantic feelings, you can't help who you love and if you happen to fall in love with your 2IC or your CO than you could have some problems that could only be resolved with one of you quitting (or being in between jobs).
      You can't help who you love but you can make mature decisions about what you do about it. People do all the time. They find themselves attracted to an inappropriate person, a boss, a married person, a priest, your 2IC or CO and they do the appropriate, the mature, the responsible thing. Sometimes that means removing yourself from the situation. Sometimes it means changing your situation so that it becomes more appropriate. In reality I would have expected Sam to transfer to another team or another base so the regs would stop being an issue but that would break up the TV show so the writers couldn't go down that route.

Feelings are important, strong feelings between people in a military unit are part of developing esprit de corps but Sam and Jack swore oaths to the US Airforce and they wouldn't be the people we think they are if they didn't uphold those oaths. Stargate prides itself on the support of the Airforce, the show wouldn't want to loose that.

I don't watch TV programs for romantic relationships (I watch very, very little TV at all, Stargate is the only program I'm into at the moment, for most of the week my TV is turned off, I'd rather listen to music and be on the iBook) but I don't usually actively campaign against romantic interludes, I tend to just ignore it. But the Sam and Jack stuff gives me ethical and moral problems just too big to conspicuous to avoid.

Women have fought long and hard to get a place in front line units and again and again they have had it thrown in their face that they would be a distraction to the men and Sam/Jack plays into that stereotype perfectly. Personally, I prefer a bit more imagination in my TV show than the leading man gets the girl, that just doesn't challenge the audience or the actors.

It's not just the Sam/Jack stuff which I disliked, they treated AT and Sam appallingly with all her relationships and the emphasis on them. I'm with Amanda Tapping when she said, near the start of the program, that they should just write Sam as they would one of the men and trust her to give Sam a feminine edge, there was no need to turn a professional woman into a simpering girl. And for Sam and Jack, I'd have prefered that they kept a mentor/student relationship and just dropped hints that people could have interpreted in whichever way they wanted to.

FF
      sigpic

Comment

OMG! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I HAVE FOUND THE ANTI-SHIP THREAD, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY!

ok, I got that out. I feel better now. Is this a general anti-ship thread or a specific anti-ship thread? Is it anti-shipping the act of, or anti-ship of characters? Are we allowed to point and laugh, make fun of, and generally frown upon the act?

So what exactly is this thread all about?
        Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
        Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
          You're welcome
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
            Women have fought long and hard to get a place in front line units and again and again they have had it thrown in their face that they would be a distraction to the men and Sam/Jack plays into that stereotype perfectly.
            FF
            I can see what you are saying, but wouldn't it be great television to see the consequences of fraternization in the military setting. As a civilian, I would find it fascinating, especially if it is handled sensitively. Surely, there must be fraternization going on all the time in the military. Is it all just brushed under the rung? This would be a great way to let civilians understand what being in the military means and provoke a discussion on whether these rules make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
              You're welcome
              Oh so you're god huh? Well then, I have a few bones to pick with you.

1.) You just HAD to have the last 2 numbers on my lottery ticket be 1 number off didn't you? I'm sure you got quite a laugh out of that one. Ha...Ha, very funny. 4 correct numbers and I thought I was well on my way to being $100 million richer. But Noooooooooo! You've gotta mess with my head some more.

2.) I'm real sure you got a good laugh when that bird pooped on the whole 4 inches of my arm that was out my car window this summer. I mean, what are the odds that a bird 500 feet in the air could hit a 4 inch moving target?

The above items are real life events that have happened to me. Both turned an otherwise great day into a serious disappointment. Go ahead, laugh at my misery. I can laugh about it now.

Comment

1.) You just HAD to have the last 2 numbers on my lottery ticket be 1 number off didn't you? I'm sure you got quite a laugh out of that one. Ha...Ha, very funny. 4 correct numbers and I thought I was well on my way to being $100 million richer. But Noooooooooo! You've gotta mess with my head some more.
                Of course. If I didn't dangle that hope in front of people every now and then, they wouldn't keep playing.
                2.) I'm real sure you got a good laugh when that bird pooped on the whole 4 inches of my arm that was out my car window this summer. I mean, what are the odds that a bird 500 feet in the air could hit a 4 inch moving target?
                Apparently quite good?

I can laugh about it now.
                Being able to laugh at something is the one true method of dealing with stress.

So why are you anti-ship?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                  Of course. If I didn't dangle that hope in front of people every now and then, they wouldn't keep playing.
                  Two stinkin numbers! 2!!! Just for that one, I'm sleeping in for the next few sundays, and I'm gonna drink all the sacrificial wine. So there.

Apparently quite good?
                  Ahhhh so you're a comedian too now huh? The Duck Bill Platypus wasn't enough I take it?

Being able to laugh at something is the one true method of dealing with stress.

So why are you anti-ship?[/QUOTE]

I'm not necessarily against the act, just the people who do it because I have had some bad experiences with them. They are very territorial and not nice if you disagree with them, at least in my experiences. I don't see the point of it, but was more of the "whatever" opinion before. It just has a very "Good ol' Boy" network feel to it. And I don't mean the southerner definition, but the "Members Only" club type of definition. Actually, now that I think about it, it definitely has a NY Yankees fan vs Boston Red Sox fan mojo about the whole situation, the Pro vs. Anti.

Does that explain it?

Comment

I'm not very fond of ship in general. Partly because the way it's written is usually toe-curlingly awful. Partly because it tends to be at the expense of other potentially more interesting stuff going on in an episode.

I am, though, fairly partial to a spot of light-hearted behind-the-scenes slashing.

But what annoys me about shipping is certain rabid shippers who cannot tolerate any view different from their own. If you've been on this forum any length of time you'll have come across one or more of the species.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Some wise soul, possibly on this thread, pointed out that most shippers are anti-shippers too, for any ship which isn't theirs.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Some wise soul, possibly on this thread, pointed out that most shippers are anti-shippers too, for any ship which isn't theirs.

FF
                        True. Are you sure that wise soul wasn't you, Frostfox, and you're not just being deliberately/uncharacteristically/unintentionally* modest?

* delete as appropriate
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
                          True. Are you sure that wise soul wasn't you, Frostfox, and you're not just being deliberately/uncharacteristically/unintentionally* modest?

* delete as appropriate
                          Laughs, no, wasn't me.
                          But it is true. Even the most devout shipper, indeed, the more devout the shipper, the more of an anti-shipper they seem to be towards other pairings.

ok, I got that out. I feel better now. Is this a general anti-ship thread or a specific anti-ship thread? Is it anti-shipping the act of, or anti-ship of characters? Are we allowed to point and laugh, make fun of, and generally frown upon the act?

So what exactly is this thread all about?
                          Deep breaths, Freek! You'll hyperventillate.
                          This is a general anti-ship thread, there is also an Anti Sam/Jack thread out there, most of us post in both of them, though, thankfully, there hasn't been any Sam/Jack rubbish in the last two seasons
                          Spoiler:
                          Not counting the wedding in 200 which was, like the whole episode, just sillyness, and gave we Jack/Daniel slashers the most fabulous screen caps of them at the altar.

There are all sorts here, the only rule is not to bash the shippers themselves. There are quite a few of us who don't mind shipping of any type in fanfic, where you can pick and choose what you read and it doesn't spoil the show.

Originally posted by Flowerbud View Post
                          I can see what you are saying, but wouldn't it be great television to see the consequences of fraternization in the military setting. As a civilian, I would find it fascinating, especially if it is handled sensitively. Surely, there must be fraternization going on all the time in the military. Is it all just brushed under the rung? This would be a great way to let civilians understand what being in the military means and provoke a discussion on whether these rules make sense.
                          I'd find it interesting but they wouldn't go there in a show such as Stargate, and it would be the end of Sam's career, whichever way it went and I don't want that for her. But in truth, all of SG1 are too close to each other, they should never go to Jack's house or the cabin or hang out with him out of work according to the frat regs.

I'm not very fond of ship in general. Partly because the way it's written is usually toe-curlingly awful. Partly because it tends to be at the expense of other potentially more interesting stuff going on in an episode.

I am, though, fairly partial to a spot of light-hearted behind-the-scenes slashing.

But what annoys me about shipping is certain rabid shippers who cannot tolerate any view different from their own. If you've been on this forum any length of time you'll have come across one or more of the species.
                          This place is a picnic compared to some others on the net, but yes, there are some folk who are a bit scary and seem to have a problem with reality, I think the ones who worry my most are those who can't tell the difference between a picture of RDA/AT and a picture of Jack/Sam*

*or any other pairing of actors/characters.

FF
                          sigpic

Comment

This place is a picnic compared to some others on the net, but yes, there are some folk who are a bit scary and seem to have a problem with reality, I think the ones who worry my most are those who can't tell the difference between a picture of RDA/AT and a picture of Jack/Sam*

*or any other pairing of actors/characters.

FF
                            I really really don't want to visit those other places then. Thank god for the relatively sanity of GW.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank god for the relatively sanity of GW.
                              You're also welcome
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by snipped by moderator
                                It's human nature to want to want positive reinforcement.
                                Hanging about with others who share your opinion is comforting and safe.

But it's also limiting, you can start to believe that everyone thinks like you.
                                This board is very 'ship' friendly but it's not the be-all and end-all of Stargate fandom or necessarily important to most people who watch the show.
                                Most viewers, millions and millions of them, have never been here and may have very different views of Stargate to those of us here.
                                I think that if you only hang about with with people who have the same views as yourself, you are limiting your enjoyment by cutting out any healthy debate and other people's opinions which you might not agree with but which might enhance and add to your enjoyment of the program by encouraging you to widen your viewing horizons and by learning that other fans opinions, while not necessarily the same as your own, also have vadility and weight.

I'm sure Sony/MGM/Bridge have done focus group studies on what viewers of the show are really interested in; it's the norm now with a profitable product such as the Stargate franchise. What might appear to be arbitary decisions to us, most likely have been justified by number crunchers and analysed and dissected and discussed. They are corperate decisions based on hard money, not fannish romantic yearnings. If they thought it would have paid off, Jack would have shagged Sam on the gate ramp years ago, regulations be damned.

FF
                                Last edited by Madeleine; 12 February 2007, 03:34 PM. Reason: Snipping a snipworthy quote from another poster
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X