No announcement yet.

Anyone else doing a summer rewatch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually it starts with Columbus. Their are a exceptions but I think a majority of the Native Americans didn't record their history so their isnt a lot to go on. I am ignorant of this subject so I could be wrong about the Native Americans
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

This particular History text talks about Erik the Red, and Leif Ericsson and then onto Christopher Columbus in the first chapter. American history usually talks about Native Americans when they are pertinent to the colonization and development of the country.

There are still 500+ Native American tribes in the U.S., so Native American history is a whole other cup of tea.
      Last edited by BethHG; 11 August 2018, 07:22 AM. Reason: Proof reading is not one of my skills :)

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
        This particular History text talks about Erik the Red, and Leif Ericsson and then onto Christopher Columbus in the first chapter. American history usually talks about Native Americans when they are pertinent to the colonization and development of the country.

There are still 500+ Native American tribes in the U.S., so Native American history is a whole other cup of tea.
        From the Vikings straight to Columbus -- that's quite a skip...
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Usually it starts with Columbus. Their are a exceptions but I think a majority of the Native Americans didn't record their history so their isnt a lot to go on. I am ignorant of this subject so I could be wrong about the Native Americans
          Columbus... Sadly this is what they teach us in History classes here in Canada. You guys do know, that natives have been on American soil ever since the last ice age? That would be the start of America's history right there... about 15-16k years ago.

Vikings have landed on the Gaspé peninsula (Quebec / Eastern Canada) about 1k year ago (the famous Éric le Rouge). It most likely happened before the first Europeans / Christians crusaders, but that part is still hazy and very contested. You should know that mainstream History does not even acknowledge that Templars knew and went to the New World. They say Columbus discovered America, which is total bs, he's just the guy that took the credit for it. Remember, this was a time of superstition, royalty and heresy. One does not simply goes rambling around about new lands when most people fear falling off the edge of the World. There are Templar and Norse runes all over Nova Scotia, which suggest many societies knew about the New World and kept it a secret.

Unfortunately the Vikings had no recorded history of any kind other than runes on rocks and legends and prophesies. What we know of them, actually comes from the ''Sagas'' which were recorded by Germanic people, if I am not mistaken, during the medieval ages.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I remember being taught about Eric the Red and Leif Ericsson when I was in elementary school. But, that was a long time ago. I do like that this book also mentions the ruins of stone houses built by Vikings in Newfoundland.. it also mentions a legend of a Welsh prince named Madoc in a voyage to the Gulf of Mexico in 1170s. Apparently, there are ruins of an old fortress that looks Welsh in design on the banks of Mobile Bay in Alabama. I never heard that legend before I got this book.

Comment

Wait till you hear who prompted the creation of the great terracotta army in China -- none other than the Greeks.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                I remember being taught about Eric the Red and Leif Ericsson when I was in elementary school. But, that was a long time ago. I do like that this book also mentions the ruins of stone houses built by Vikings in Newfoundland.. it also mentions a legend of a Welsh prince named Madoc in a voyage to the Gulf of Mexico in 1170s. Apparently, there are ruins of an old fortress that looks Welsh in design on the banks of Mobile Bay in Alabama. I never heard that legend before I got this book.
                Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Wait till you hear who prompted the creation of the great terracotta army in China -- none other than the Greeks.
                All theories, with good basis indeed, yet they remain unconfirmed/undocumented. I would advise caution when it comes to teaching your child, you don't want him to show up the next day with a tinfoil hat on do you?

Sadly, anything that contest the written history as we know it is confiscated by the Govt. For instance, the legends about the underground cities of the Grand Canyon is inaccessible ever since the US govt claimed it as theirs. I keep an open mind, most likely is just a legend but who knows? If it's not true why not let an expedition of scientists in?
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Just read the title of this thread... I think we've drifted off topic a bit
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                    Just read the title of this thread... I think we've drifted off topic a bit

What, off topic? Vikings and early explorers is similar to Stargate-- they were explorers too.

Okay, back to your regular programming.....

Comment

@Chaka-Z0
                      For the record, the Greek statue angle is actually a current research taking place with regards to the terracotta army. There's a record in Chinese texts where 12 statues appeared on the border of the empire, and at the time the Ancient Greek reach was closer to China as it is these days (in a manner of speaking). Before the terracotta army there were no lifelike/size statues.

You can always apply Occam's Razor if you like which equals anything is possible if there's no set record or proof. Or, as we used to say in our archaeology classes, one piece of proof = no piece of proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        @Chaka-Z0
                        For the record, the Greek statue angle is actually a current research taking place with regards to the terracotta army. There's a record in Chinese texts where 12 statues appeared on the border of the empire, and at the time the Ancient Greek reach was closer to China as it is these days (in a manner of speaking). Before the terracotta army there were no lifelike/size statues.

You can always apply Occam's Razor if you like which equals anything is possible if there's no set record or proof. Or, as we used to say in our archaeology classes, one piece of proof = no piece of proof.
                        Agreed (2nd statement). I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terracotta army and Chinese history so I can't speak on that

What baffles me is how they completely omit to mention that Vikings had settlements in Canada, prior to Columbus, as proven by the artifacts AND digs of settlements found in Newfoundland and other coastal areas. This isn't an off-shoot early-Daniel-Jackson-like archeologist claming this, conclusive evidences have been produced.

But my last class was 15 years ago lol, so perhaps it has changed since then, I truly hope so. I didn't know you were an archaeologist, that's pretty cool!
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I remember the Vikings get a little mention of going to the Americas and then abanding it from American history class
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I've started watching the show again, after more years than I care to admit. I want to do a Rewatch from Children of the Gods, onwards.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                              I've started watching the show again, after more years than I care to admit. I want to do a Rewatch from Children of the Gods, onwards.

That is what just did. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
                                What baffles me is how they completely omit to mention that Vikings had settlements in Canada, prior to Columbus, as proven by the artifacts AND digs of settlements found in Newfoundland and other coastal areas. This isn't an off-shoot early-Daniel-Jackson-like archeologist claming this, conclusive evidences have been produced.

But my last class was 15 years ago lol, so perhaps it has changed since then, I truly hope so. I didn't know you were an archaeologist, that's pretty cool!
                                I'm surprised because when I was looking into visiting Canada this year (as opposed to Scotland which we did), there were a lot of links I found to visit archaeological sites and museums about early settlers -- the Viking explorers and the likes.

Our history in highschool doesn't touch upon American history or Canadian, only in relation to European history such as the British Empire or the colonies or in my case the presidential elections where our teacher tried to explain that crazy American system. We didn't get it, not until she started to divide the class into two groups. Democrats and republicans -- and even then we thought, "what the hell? this isn't democracy (not the way we know it at least)".

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                                Welcome to join the Proper Stargate Rewatch. The more the merrier.
                                Beth passed us by like a speeding train so you can join whenever you like. We're on season 6 of SG-1, first half.
                                I provide jigsaw puzzles and quizzes and polls.

Comment

Working...
                                X