Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were women on SG teams required to be on birth control?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    more about doing unspeakable things. Is there a rule "if it's weird, it exists?" on the internet?
    It should really be: If it's weird, it definitely exists on the internet.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well i guess a pill is cheaper than a mandatory pregnancy test after every mission plus potential abortions for weird alien pregnancies.
      Meaning they mandate it or provide it?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
        Meaning they mandate it or provide it?
        I don't know. Ideally both? but certainly the first.

Comment

I don't know. Ideally both? but certainly the first.
          You really think they would have made it mandatory?

Comment

Originally posted by Claire98909 View Post
            You really think they would have made it mandatory?
            What happens when one of the women has a one-night-stand on another planet (e.g. Hebrida). 9 months later she's in the hospital and Bang, half-hebirdan kid comes out. Instant PR nightmare. If you want to keep the program a secret, alien pregnancies would cause a headache. Like, what about alien blood types? Even an alien human baby could make doctors scratch their head and cause nightmares to the Stargate program.

Comment

I doubt mandatory pregnancy tests after every mission would serve any purpose. That said, I would expect female soldiers to be responsible enough to ask for a test if there's the slightest chance she might be pregnant.
              sigpic

Comment

Also, unless they were on a really long mission, pregnancy tests after each mission would be a waste. It takes time after conception for the pregnancy to be detectable on a test.

Most likely the blood tests they regularly get have the pregnancy screening in them for female personnel. Not necessarily to detect alien babies but to detect and keep pregnant women from going through the gate. I believe military policy is that pregnant personnel are moved to 'safer' non-frontline assignments. (as in not going through the gate)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

As we saw when Sheppard got seriously crossed with Teyla for witholding her bun in her oven. He wasn't a happy Colonel when he found that out and benched her.

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    I doubt mandatory pregnancy tests after every mission would serve any purpose.
                    Thats why birthcontrol would be way better.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      As we saw when Sheppard got seriously crossed with Teyla for witholding her bun in her oven. He wasn't a happy Colonel when he found that out and benched her.
                      He was right, too - I mean pregnant women aren't invalid, but putting them into combat situations? - I don't know if that's wise (you could end up getting blamed if they lose the baby after all - even if it doesn't have a leg to stand on it could get ugly!)...I am not saying I have all the answers, but Teyla keeping that hidden was pretty ****ty IMHO! (Hell, the doctor should have pulled her off the mission - I don't remember if any physician knew, but if someone did, they should have used the power invested in them (a doctor can even order a base commander around as far as I know if it's concerns health and medical matters!))

ps: I thought all military women were on (long term) BC? - I mean how can you be sure they won't become pregnant (you depend on them and can't always have a replacement show up at a moment's notice - even more so at the SGC or in Atlantis!) - hell, how can you assure that they will not just become pregnant when it's time to deploy (or to get home if a deployment isn't to their liking?))

Note: I am not saying that most women would do that, but some did in the past (some out of the very first women on a US carrier did that - that carrier got the inglorious nickname "The Love Boat" out of that fiasco -.-)

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
                        He was right, too - I mean pregnant women aren't invalid, but putting them into combat situations? - I don't know if that's wise (you could end up getting blamed if they lose the baby after all - even if it doesn't have a leg to stand on it could get ugly!)...I am not saying I have all the answers, but Teyla keeping that hidden was pretty ****ty IMHO! (Hell, the doctor should have pulled her off the mission - I don't remember if any physician knew, but if someone did, they should have used the power invested in them (a doctor can even order a base commander around as far as I know if it's concerns health and medical matters!))
                        Congratulations for putting Earth standards to an Athosian.

Comment

Well it is an Earth base. She should of known she would have to follow the Earth rules.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

But Earth way of life, or more accurately developped country way of life does not equal Athosian way of life.

Comment

Never said it did but the fact remains she should of known since she was part of our team. Its the same way how civilian contractors are still expected to follow the military rules
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                Never said it did but the fact remains she should of known since she was part of our team. Its the same way how civilian contractors are still expected to follow the military rules
                                Agreed. Considering the danger she exposes herself to, active missions should simply have not been allowed. She's on an earth base and so has to follow earth rules. If she wants to remain active, well there's plenty of stuff to do around there like being a regular diplomat for safe worlds in stead of being the first-contact team. Or she could've returned to her people for a while and be "very active well into her pregnancy" there.

The Athosian value of being active is nice and all, but there's a difference between doing stuff in athosian society and going on active missions getting shot at or fed upon.

Comment

Working...
                                X