Stargate SG-1 Reboot/Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    It's 2013. Richard Dean Anderson is old enough to be my grandfather, and his favorite show is the animated sitcom the Simpsons XD

More toward the action genre, DC has been putting out animated Batman/Superman DVDs for the past few years that are more adult-themed than the Nolan films, with voice casts who are big name TV stars, and that have sold better than Ark of Truth.
    RDA is only 9 years older than my own father, so technically he's old enough to be my own father.

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
      I guess I was okay with the Replicators until the whole "humanform ones" showed up.
      What was it about the humanform Replicators you didn't like? I hope it's okay to ask...

Comment

I don't mind at all. I could go into a long winded and detailed rant, but I'll just keep it short and sweet. They were machines programed to use raw materials to replicate and spread. Having them gain the knowledge to take "humanform" and the knowledge to operate as people was just too far-fetched for me to accept. It didn't fit the programming. They were a tough enough foe without having to come up with such an obvious gimmick to give them more of a recurring foe. I can imagine and accept many ridiculous twists in stories, but when they don't make sense with what the story establishes early on, I have a problem. Replicators replicate, using their resources to suddenly deviate from the program and start mimicking people made no sense to me, other than being an obvious TV gimmick, regardless of what was written as reasons for why it happened. I could accept other deviations to the program, but this one was just too much about it being a TV show with guest stars and an effects budget. Hire an actor and say they are a Replicator. It will probably be cheaper than an entire episode of effects shots with little mechanical bugs scurrying around.

See, that was fairly short.

Comment

I would much rather see a forth series set in the existing stargate universe.

Comment

I would watch a series about a spinoff with the Ancients, so much we don't know about them.

I Just don't see a reboot, can't imagine getting a group of actors together with the same chemistry. That and they really can't develop their own character, imagine the constant reminders ''Michael Shanks did it better'' ''That guy isn't as funny as RDA was''
            You're so right. The Ancients are so cool, a spinoff with them would be very very interesting. And who ohters would be suitable as cast then a former ascended being(DDJ) and a man who spoke the language and had the hole depository of information of the Ancients. It would be grate to see some living Ancients in their human form. A group of Ancients which found a cure for the disease and ran into a distant galaxy. Thus, they had time to grow in numbers, and you know how advanced they were 10 million years ago, imagine their level of tech now. Through inteligent discoveries like Stargate gave us, they found this Ancients out of necessity. The wraith get their hands on much more zpm's and now they have lots of superhives and their numbers are astronomical. The only hope of ever extinct them is the Ancients.
            sigpic

Comment

Now, I wouldn’t mind reading a re-boot of the series. I would love to see everything up to where ascension came into the picture and then they turn left and go a different direction. I wouldn’t even mind a serious animated reboot with the originals doing voice over, although it would really be tough to take without Don S. Davis.
              It is do-able, and can be done with great sensitivity. If you've ever seen the original Nickelodeon animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender (not to be confused with James Cameron's Avatar, or the awful movie adaptation The Last Airbender), one of the main voice actors passed away about half-way through the second series. They obviously had to find a replacement, but they did very well, and wrote a beautiful tribute episode.

I'm 31, but animation is still my favourite story-telling medium. I'd love to see an animated series. It doesn't have to 'unfriendly' for kids to appeal to adults. It just needs to be written really well.
              sigpic
              sig by Jper

"It's just a little airborne... It's still good, it's still good!"

Comment

I don't mind at all. I could go into a long winded and detailed rant, but I'll just keep it short and sweet. They were machines programed to use raw materials to replicate and spread. Having them gain the knowledge to take "humanform" and the knowledge to operate as people was just too far-fetched for me to accept. It didn't fit the programming. They were a tough enough foe without having to come up with such an obvious gimmick to give them more of a recurring foe. I can imagine and accept many ridiculous twists in stories, but when they don't make sense with what the story establishes early on, I have a problem. Replicators replicate, using their resources to suddenly deviate from the program and start mimicking people made no sense to me, other than being an obvious TV gimmick, regardless of what was written as reasons for why it happened. I could accept other deviations to the program, but this one was just too much about it being a TV show with guest stars and an effects budget. Hire an actor and say they are a Replicator. It will probably be cheaper than an entire episode of effects shots with little mechanical bugs scurrying around.

See, that was fairly short.
                Thanks for replying Your argument is pretty good and I hadn't thought about how it could even be possible for the 1st generation Replicators to evolve into the humanform ones. I still find the stories interesting though - the episodes with Fifth and RepliCarter are among my favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Beliskner86 View Post
                  I would watch a series about a spinoff with the Ancients, so much we don't know about them.
                  A prequel about the ancients...interesting idea. I also agree that a re-boot just doesn't feel like it would work. I would watch some sort of another spin off...I would also love to see them wrap up SGU with some folks from SG1 and SGA, but that's not gonna happen!

Comment

A crossover betwen SGU SG1 and SGA would indeed be nice, and not just into a movie but in a series, so i'll keep being optimist and saying that this might happen.
                    sigpic

Comment

reboot - this is BAD idea. when a lot possibilities to continue gradually replacing characters restart why?
                      Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                      SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

Okay forgive me if I missed the point of this, but I thought it was who you would cast for a relaunch. Not wether there should be one or not.

To answer the original question, I'd go for:

O'neill - Damien Leith
                        Carter - Saoirse Ronan though she is really young.
                        Daniel - Kal Penn
                        Teal'c - Gary Carr

This list is by no means saying that the original actors were inadequate in any way shape or form. It's just a suggestion if I were to be a casting agent and were looking for people for the roles, if it was a relaunch of SG1.

If we were meant to give an opinion of a spinoff or relaunch would be good then here is my take.

If I was going to reboot the show it wouldn't be so much a reboot of SG1, but a spinoff or prequel.
                        Why not go back to the forming of the 4 alliances and how it came to be formed. We'll get to see the Furlings, Nox, Ancients and Asgard come together. The back story would be the Goa'uld discovering the gates and spreading humans throughout the galaxy. Actually see them set up the civilizations and enslavement, the rebelions that failed thousands of years ago on distant worlds and secret ones that did succeed. Maybe by an alien race that we have not yet seen?.

That would be cool.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think you probably could get away with having different roles for the likes of Richard/Amanada/Judge/Shanks, you could probably have something for all of them.

O'Neill at some other role in the Air Force (considering he was Lt.General then there's probably a role there, doesn't have to be heavy action based)

Teal'c, age wasn't really relevant to him considering he's a Jaffa so he could still have a main role.

Carter - Working in some high tech department? Base commander?

Jackson - Again as with Teal'c, still young enough for a main role.

In terms of a reboot that would be as long lasting, even half as long as the original SG1 series, you need a mixture of old and new to keep it going. If they started from scratch with a completely whole new cast it wouldn't work imo.

I'm not really sure what actors I would have though.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
                            In terms of a reboot that would be as long lasting, even half as long as the original SG1 series, you need a mixture of old and new to keep it going. If they started from scratch with a completely whole new cast it wouldn't work imo.
                            *nods*

it's such a simple recipe, but works *so* well to me.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

For me, it's not about the big wooshy blue thing or the aliens or any other thing you could insert into another show. To me, Stargate was first and foremost about 4 people and their friends/comrades who kept me entertained, laughing and occasionally crying for 8 wonderful years (I don't feel the same way about the post-RDA years). The cast had amazing chemistry that I think would be hard to replicate (no pun intended).

That's why I couldn't imagine wanting to watch a show with anyone else in their place.

Maybe, superficially, you could find a sarcastic guy, a hot blonde, a geek and muscles but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My suggestions for SG-1:TNG cast would be:

Hunter Hayes as Jack (ok, I know he's a singer but he's got that sexy self-assured thing going on )
                              Dakota Fanning as Sam (been in too many films to count and out-performed people like Denzel Washington, Tom Cruise and Sean Penn)
                              Nicholas Hoult as Daniel (Beast from X-Men First Class)
                              Quinton Aaron as Teal'c (the guy who played the football player in The Blind Side)

Amber Tamblyn (from Joan of Arcadia/House) as Janet, Keiko Agena as Carolyn Lam, Chris Meloni (Law and Order SVU) as Jacob Carter. I just can't think of anyone who could replace Don the man was one of a kind.
                              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

As a idea only, making the show to have a bigger aspect on the ships wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. If they had a super gate as a means of transportation, that way there could be a bigger emphasis on the ships, even fleets of human vessels if we were to base this in the future. Plus you would still get the ground units such as SG1 once they had traveled to different worlds etc via the ship/super gate. Does make it a bit more unique I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X