General Landry in "Unending"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Landry in "Unending"

We've discussed the finale ad nauseum, but one thing seems to get overlooked.
    Spoiler:
    The death of General Landry before Sam Carter. After spending so much time together trapped on the ship, that had to be like loosing a father or brother.

How did this scene resonate with you?

This was a very strong scene in that episode to me. Landry had been a great character and leader since his introduction. Second only to Hammond IMO.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I didn't really care. Never liked him all that much. Guess I just couldn't get attached to the boat load of new characters that were introduced in season 9 and thought the whole "bonding" of everyone at the SGC with said characters was forced.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        Spoiler:
        The death of General Landry before Sam Carter. After spending so much time together trapped on the ship, that had to be like loosing a father or brother.

If you thought that was moving, imagine Unending with Jack instead of Landry and him dying. Unending, the way it was supposed to be... jmho

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
          If you thought that was moving, imagine Unending with Jack instead of Landry and him dying. Unending, the way it was supposed to be... jmho
          That is just TV for you. Unfortunate real world circumstances prevent some scenes from being filmed.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Beau Bridges (Landry) is eight years older than RDA, so it might have been later on, but I could seen this playing out. Unfortunately, RDA only signed on for five episodes that season. All five episodes had been filmed (2 for SG-1, 3 for SGA) thus making him unavailable for the finale.

Comment

Beau Bridges (Landry) is eight years older than RDA, so it might have been later on, but I could seen this playing out. Unfortunately, RDA only signed on for five episodes that season. All five episodes had been filmed (2 for SG-1, 3 for SGA) thus making him unavailable for the finale.
              I'm sure if he had been asked to participate in "Unending" he would have agreed to do it.

Comment

If I remember right, they wanted him to be in the finale, but SciFi refused to give them extra money so could bring him in. It was either execute the finale as is or bring in RDA and make budget cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  I'm sure if he had been asked to participate in "Unending" he would have agreed to do it.
                  I doubt he would do it for free. The sudden cancellation of SG1 leads to budget issues
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I doubt he would do it for free. The sudden cancellation of SG1 leads to budget issues
                    He might have done it for a nominal small fee. IIRC that's what Chris Judge did when JM asked him to be in an Atlantis episode

Comment

I just said that.

He might have done it for a nominal small fee. IIRC that's what Chris Judge did when JM asked him to be in an Atlantis episode
                      Possible, but Christopher Judge is a younger, working actor. Richard Dean-Anderson is an older, semi-retired actor. It's possible that his agent advises him not to do a guest appearance unless he's offered X $$$.

Comment

I didn't suggest he would do it for free. I said he wasn't asked to be part of "Unending". There's a big difference.

And if he'd been asked, I think he would have done it for a nominal amount, since when he "retired" to spend more time with his daughter, he said he didn't need more money (since he was being offered a lot more money to stay with the show and he turned it down for other than $$$ reasons). Given that comment, I doubt he would have made a fuss about money had he been asked to participate.

Originally posted by Snowman37
                        Possible, but Christopher Judge is a younger, working actor. Richard Dean-Anderson is an older, semi-retired actor. It's possible that his agent advises him not to do a guest appearance unless he's offered X $$$.
                        As stated above, he didn't need the money and I doubt very much that his agent has that much control over what RDA does or doesn't do. These days he can do anything he wants regardlesss of what an agent would tell him to do.

Comment

Spoiler:

It didn't. I was rolling my eyes the whole time and wishing he'd hurry up and die already because it was taking too much time. Despite AT's best efforts the scene felt forced and unrealistic. Just IMO.

In case you were wondering, out of all the new characters I hated Landry the most.
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'd have preferred it to be Jack, but he wasn't available. And Landry was the only logical choice left to kill off for an emotional moment. Vala wasn't big with the fans, Daniel has died so many times, no one cares about his deaths - he'll just pop up again. Carter and Teal'c were essential to how the episode ends. Cameron, was toss up. He thought of the idea to save the day (but anyone could have) but he could have had a good impact on some of the audience - but I think a lot of fans would have been unhappy having Carter cry beside his bedside instead of Jacks more than her crying by Landry. They basically played it safe. Landry was the red shirt that day.
                            Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
                              I'd have preferred it to be Jack, but he wasn't available. And Landry was the only logical choice left to kill off for an emotional moment. Vala wasn't big with the fans, Daniel has died so many times, no one cares about his deaths - he'll just pop up again. Carter and Teal'c were essential to how the episode ends. Cameron, was toss up. He thought of the idea to save the day (but anyone could have) but he could have had a good impact on some of the audience - but I think a lot of fans would have been unhappy having Carter cry beside his bedside instead of Jacks more than her crying by Landry. They basically played it safe. Landry was the red shirt that day.
                              Actually killing Teal'c in the beginning because of lack of tretonin would have made more sense and would have been much more emotional jmho

Comment

Working...
                              X