This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
    Maybe if we scream and yell, and stomp our feet, we will get what we want.
    There's already a precedent for that sort of behaviour, unfortunately. However, I don't think it'd work in this case. The show is getting dumbed down, if you ask me, so there's no room for anything as cerebral as mythology or as erudite as cultural exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Exploration of mythology and culture doesn't get ratings. Gratuitous T&A, gratuitous explosions and trite conspiracies do. Hence, no more (or very little) exploration on Stargate.
      I can guarentee that there's an alternate reality where everything you want SG-1 to be is true, yet you still complain

As TPTB have said, SG-1 have so much experience they're not really an exploration unit anymore. And frankly Icon and Revisions were my two least favourite episodes of the last two seasons

Comment

I miss the exploration too.

I'm hoping that
        Spoiler:
        with the Goa'uld probably being gone by the end of the season
        that the stories will move on and we'll be exploring again. I want to meet the Furlings, see more of the Reetou, fond out what happened to the Tollan and so much more stuff.

I also wanna see Jonas again!
        sigpic
        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Here's what I think are many of the main reasons for why there's less focus on exploration now (it's not gone completely, after all): there is that whole thing where SG-1's got so much experience now that they're basically consultants to the other teams and their top priority is in the area of defense, as TPTB have said. We've also actually succeeded in getting some of that advanced technology we need (the Prometheus), so another priority to devote resources to is to have that have a crew and patrol the solar system to look out for any attacks. But the main reason is it wouldn't actually add anything new anymore; back in the early days, they could explore a world and learn about the Asgard, and have them become major allies several seasons later. However, now they're not certain how many seasons they have left, so they don't know if they have the time to develop a new world into one that might become a new ally or enemy. That's why the episode "Icon" was much more "throwaway" than something like "Thor's Hammer" from the old days; they can still explore new places, but at this point in the series it's best to also do while following up on some already established plot threads and continuity, because trying to find a group that could become "the new Tok'ra" or "the new Replicators" could open up a whole other can of unanswered questions and unanswered plot threads, especially if they are nearing the end (w/ the way the popularity is growing, we just don't know anymore). All that said, they may actually have the confidence to try developing new stuff in season 9; w/ all the "last seasons" there have been, they maybe realize there's still quite a bit more life left, and if they turn out to be wrong, they can always resolve something they've already set-up in the movie.

And besides, it might not be necessary to discover a completely new world for new allies or enemies: especially so in regards to enemies, as there are actually still a few already established ones that could become big ones; the Aschen, for instance, might be wanting to declare all-out war should they ever pop up again.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

I might be wrong, but I tend to think that Sci-Fi doesn't give the show as much room to grow as Showtime did. Too much formula and not enough room for growth. . . . .
            efficiency is nothing more than intelligent laziness

Comment

Well, they do only renew it one season at a time, and wait 'til the tail end of the production schedule at that.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

Obvious I am concerned about the exploration, or I would not have started this thread. I enjoyed when mythology could be tied to present information about the Goa'uld. And I agree that many stand alone episodes were duds. The best is to have an episode where a new world is explored, new people or aliens met, that adds to our understanding of one of the major themes, Goa'uld or replicators. They are the motivation of exploration in the first place. Never has exploration been intented to be a fishing trip, a car ride, or a picnic in a park, and I don't wish it to be. There still needs to be a purpose of it all. But lately the show has been about character development and has been mostly earth bound. I learned nothing new about the Goa'uld but the threat is still there. Character development is important, but it would be better to have it interspered with episodes in which sg1 actually functions as a team. Yes they have explored and lot, met a lot of people, and developed a lot of weapons because of it. But to say that exploration, learning, and new allies are no longer necessary because of what has already been discovered is inviting the fate of the Tollens. And to say the show doesn't need it because it has advanced beyond that, only leaves battle after battle with this enemy or that one. Many have indicated that season 7 and 8 so far are the worst, and many don't want a season 9. Wonder why. The show must evolve but it can not alienate fans by becoming something totally new. What is this show about? If someone asked you, what is Stargate, what would you say? Bottom line is that 2-3 episodes a season of being on a new planet would be great for me, esp. if it ties in to major theme or other topics, races, story lines already introduced. There is so much more to explore even with the long lasting themes, as many people indicate with there questions in other threads.

Comment

I agree with the topic creator.

I don't think it's too much to ask that SG-1 actually go through the gate and offworld more often considering the show is called Stargate. I don't care if it's been 8 years or 18, I don't watch to see most of the eps take place on Earth. I love this show, but this season (S8) has been boring.

To me the episode Gemini really illustrated just how bad things have gotten. Even though it was technically offworld, the alpha site was just another SGC set, not to mention that it looked bare and lifeless. The sets now look like Stargate SG-1 has had its budget reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by yettobeseen
                    Obvious I am concerned about the exploration, or I would not have started this thread. I enjoyed when mythology could be tied to present information about the Goa'uld. And I agree that many stand alone episodes were duds. The best is to have an episode where a new world is explored, new people or aliens met, that adds to our understanding of one of the major themes, Goa'uld or replicators. They are the motivation of exploration in the first place. Never has exploration been intented to be a fishing trip, a car ride, or a picnic in a park, and I don't wish it to be. There still needs to be a purpose of it all. But lately the show has been about character development and has been mostly earth bound. I learned nothing new about the Goa'uld but the threat is still there. Character development is important, but it would be better to have it interspered with episodes in which sg1 actually functions as a team. Yes they have explored and lot, met a lot of people, and developed a lot of weapons because of it. But to say that exploration, learning, and new allies are no longer necessary because of what has already been discovered is inviting the fate of the Tollens. And to say the show doesn't need it because it has advanced beyond that, only leaves battle after battle with this enemy or that one. Many have indicated that season 7 and 8 so far are the worst, and many don't want a season 9. Wonder why. The show must evolve but it can not alienate fans by becoming something totally new. What is this show about? If someone asked you, what is Stargate, what would you say? Bottom line is that 2-3 episodes a season of being on a new planet would be great for me, esp. if it ties in to major theme or other topics, races, story lines already introduced. There is so much more to explore even with the long lasting themes, as many people indicate with there questions in other threads.
                    Um... reread my post; I never said that they shouldn't still try to make new allies or new discoveries, but stated the main reasons for why that's probably not the main focus anymore; w/o knowing exactly when the series is going to end, they don't know how long they can maintain an arc that starts something absolutely new (this may change in season 9, since I think they're finally realizing they've got quite a bit more juice left than to treat things "one season at a time"). As for meeting someone new and learning how that ties into established continuity (learning something new about the goa'uld, replicators, etc.), I actually indicated that's what they tend to do now; it has evolved to the point where new places aren't completely new but are best when they tie into the established continuity, and that was part of my main point. So, basically, yeah, I'd still like some well-written (i.e. not like "Icon" ) exploration stories myself, but not at the expense of continuity (which might be something like meeting somebody completely new that are on par w/ the Asgard, but yet have never had any interaction nor even heard of the goa'uld; if they're from anywhere near our galaxy, that would be bad ) or character development (comparing "100 Days" to "Icon" for instance, "100 Days" was the one w/ better character development ); these days, it really does have to be a balancing act between each aspect of the show to avoid any oversaturation in any particular area.

Oh, and for the record, I don't see how season 7 could be considered bad for lacking exploration; the whole season was spent looking for the Lost City.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the exploration episodes this season, they're not gone really because we've actually got some pretty big ones coming up (at the risk of spoiling anything, I'll avoid naming what they are or stating what happens).

-Bloodaxe
                    Last edited by Erik Bloodaxe; 28 January 2005, 11:44 AM. Reason: Addendum

Comment

I think they are getting to narrow in what they want to do, they know they need to end it soon so they are trying to bring a lot of things together, but focusing on one area...its complicated but i agree that if they wanted the quality to be the same. It should stay...because realistically, 10, hell even 50 years may never be enough to defeat the goauld, so why bother focusing so much on that

Comment

Originally posted by yettobeseen
                        I just started to watch sg1 in the last few months, and now am up-to-date thanks to DVD collections. The show as developed quite a bit, but slowly over years, which is more realistic. But the trend I see is less exploration of new planets, new people, new aliens, and new challenges. Instead the show has been increasing focused on the main themes, the Goa'uld and Replicators (and maybe also the NID). Don't get me wrong, I love the action and advances in technology. But I would hate to see the lost of exploration. I think the show still needs to incorparate episodes of exploration with thought-provoking adventure and challenges that doesn't have to involve battles to attract attention. The diversity in plots and balance among different plot lines were always strong points to the show. Hopefully there will be more opportunity for this in season 9, after many story lines are supposedly getting wrapped up in season 8. I don't want to see the Goa'uld defeated completed, and maybe not even the replicators, but I do want the show to keep evolving. I enjoy seeing the cooperation with other races, human or alien. But when is the last time a new alien race was encountered? Ok maybe the plant in Zero Hour counts. Before that maybe the aliens that attacked the Prometheus in Grace (but there was no personal interaction, they could have been human). I would have to say the last encounter and interaction with a new alien race was the Sarrakin in Forsaken (season 6). Its about time to meet someone new. Or do humans plague the entire universe?
                        Yeah, that's what I've noticed. The theme around my house is it's become West Wing in space. ROFL!!!!

I miss it when the show would open on some weird planet with some weird people in weird make up talking in a weird language. And I miss the wierded out looks on Jack and Sam's faces.

Ahhh ... the good 'ol days when they sought out supeiror technology - but like Rockford, they just never got their dues paid.

Totally in agreement about meeting new people. SO far, we have .. Fifth, RepliCarter, some Goa'uld that are wayyy too nice, I haven't seen Thor in a while. Lets see, some boring people from that creepy Farscape show are joining .. not too excited about that. Well ... there's always next season ... if there be a next season.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Working...
                        X