Repressed Smiles on Actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    ..... but there was one shot where O'Neill stepped backwards (in the control room) nearer to Siler, but he did a massive fart in Siler's direction. The director held the shot a little longer so Dan Shea was trapped in the smell
    Wow...that's supposed to be funny?...I call it rude and juvenile.
    I have to admit that I came to show originally because I was a fan of RDA...and while his ad-libs sometimes added to the scene, just as often they detracted from the scene...thinking specfically of the scene in 'Fallen' when he says about Teal'c, "no but he plays one on TV"...it made no sense in context of the scene. In the long run I think his adding/making comments that didn't fit the context of the scene created the impression by the end of the show Jack was becoming senile...which is usually the judgement we make of someone who makes comments that don't make sense in the context of what they are doing.
    IMO
    sigpic

http://www.moonsmusings.com/bluemoon/
    http://www.gatefic.com/

My Fiction:

Comment

i love that they seemed to have alot of fun on the show and i found amanda seemed to want to laugh the most (mainly when she was around RDA).
      sigpic
      The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by LC_ View Post
        Wow...that's supposed to be funny?...I call it rude and juvenile.
        Sure, when you put it like that It's one of the oldest guy jokes around, along with pull my finger. Or 'gotcha nose' for babies. It's rude and juvenile if you're the only one doing that sort of stuff (pulling pranks etc) but if everyone is doing it, then it's funny. IMO of course.

I have to admit that I came to show originally because I was a fan of RDA...and while his ad-libs sometimes added to the scene, just as often they detracted from the scene...thinking specfically of the scene in 'Fallen' when he says about Teal'c, "no but he plays one on TV"...it made no sense in context of the scene. In the long run I think his adding/making comments that didn't fit the context of the scene created the impression by the end of the show Jack was becoming senile...which is usually the judgement we make of someone who makes comments that don't make sense in the context of what they are doing.
        IMO
        I didn't get that impression at all. Different strokes for different folks

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
        i love that they seemed to have alot of fun on the show and i found amanda seemed to want to laugh the most (mainly when she was around RDA).
        ^ that was the impression I got. I assume it's reasonably accurate too, given how long many people stayed on the show (cast and production team). Or maybe Stargate paid better than anyone else
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          At first I ignored it........but then the more episodes I watched, I was sure I was seeing actors making facial gestures or biting their lip or twisting their mouth to repress a smile and possible laughter. I think I saw it on Hammond and O'Neill especially. Jonas never had to worry because he was always smiling, but Daniel Jackson seemed frequently twist his mouth or turn his eyes in various ways and gestures.
          I've always noticed this. I didn't know whether it was just written in as a natural reaction of the characters or just ad-libbed by the actors. Either way, it's fun seeing them... makes the characters seem a lot more human.

Comment

It's strange, I never noticed it before. Now as I rewatch the episodes I'm seeing them all over the place.
            "When I need your advice Terri, I'll give the secret signal. Which is me being sectioned under the Mental Health Act"

Comment

It's quite obvious in Urgo as well. Working with Dom must've been very distracting it that sense. Every time I rewatch this episode I laugh at Amanda's attempts to pull it together. I think the whole cast had a great time over those 10 seasons.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                I never noticed that! Darn. But I'm not a huge fan of seasons nine and ten so I've probably only watched it once... First David DeLuise does an ass grab and now Cliff Simon too? I'm not sorry I missed the former, but the latter would have been fun.

~

In general most of the 'repressed smiles' just fit in the scene in my opinion. It's not like Hammond could burst out laughing at something; he's the base commander, a general and he needs to behave accordingly.
                From what I have heard on some of the dvd special features, David and Cliff were not the only ones to touch her butt. In the episode where she went with Thor to the Asgard homeworld. There is a scene where she and Thor are standing in front of a big viewscreen. Amanda Tapping said that in one of the takes that didn't make it on screen, that whoever controlled the Thor puppet let Thor's hand touch her butt.
                Last edited by tlw; 03 November 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Whenever I caught these, I just assumed that they were on purpose, as if the characters wanted to laugh at O'Neill but tried to maintain their dignity during a briefing (namely Carter and Hammond).

At least, fanfics are full of lines about one of these guys trying to repress a laugh! I find it hard to believe that the actors and producers would be unprofessional enough to leave these moments in if they were unintentional.

Comment

Working...
                  X