Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So many planets for so few Goa'uld System Lords???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So many planets for so few Goa'uld System Lords???

Having just viewed Memento of Season 6 it occurred to me that SG1 is talking about literally hundreds of planets onto which the goa'uld had transferred thousands of slaves from Earth with the stargate. However, it appears that there were relatively few system lords in history. So how could so few goa'uld successfully control, conquer and enslave literally hundreds of planets, and populate one after the other.

How was this possible according to SG history? Even with technology and a relatively few number of Jaffa, it would seem impossible for so few goa'uld to control so many planets and people.

We only see a fraction of the Jaffa at each system lord's disposal. I'm sure each one has many thousands, though some possess more than others.

Also, the fact that the people are led to believe that the System Lords are gods helps in the control.

We need a section just for your questions...Lol
    sigpic

Comment

It seems that the goa'uld also served other goa'uld so I guess they were great a delegating.
      At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Yeah, there were minor Goa'uld who likely served as planetary lords.

I have imagined a feudal-like system, just on a planetary-galaxy scale.
        sigpic

Comment

Think of the Gou'ald like European nobility. The System Lords are like kings. Lesser Gou'ald are like the Dukes, Earls, Barons, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumIguana View Post
            Think of the Gou'ald like European nobility. The System Lords are like kings. Lesser Gao'uld are like the Dukes, Earls, Barons, etc.
            And since the system lords took on various personas, there could potentially be a bunch of these lesser Gao'ulds. And there must have been a population boom at one point if they had to eat their own kind (like in The Last Stand.)
            Last edited by Reseph(Shed); 19 December 2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Are we forgetting Abydos? No Goa'uld underlings, no Jaffa. Ra visits every now and then to pick up a Naquada shipment, and that's it. Most of the planets under Goa'uld control were likely left to fend for themselves except for when the Jaffa and maybe a Goa'uld or perhaps a System Lord show up.

Comment

Most likely, different Goa'uld do things differently, especially in different times...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                sigpic
                now also appearing on DeviantArt
                Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Good point.......then what's the use of the claim that wherever the goa'uld went they enslaved the people who they brought there? Maybe that's an exaggeration.....perhaps the goa'uld had an arrangement that as long as the locals (who they had settled there originally or were native non-human aliens) would give them what they want they wouldn't bother them.....that doesn't involve slavery.......But SG1 is always telling all the nice people they meet in the 133 planets they have visited by Season 6 Memento that the goa'ulds enslave everybod.........

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  Are we forgetting Abydos? No Goa'uld underlings, no Jaffa. Ra visits every now and then to pick up a Naquada shipment, and that's it. Most of the planets under Goa'uld control were likely left to fend for themselves except for when the Jaffa and maybe a Goa'uld or perhaps a System Lord show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                    Good point.......then what's the use of the claim that wherever the goa'uld went they enslaved the people who they brought there? Maybe that's an exaggeration.....perhaps the goa'uld had an arrangement that as long as the locals (who they had settled there originally or were native non-human aliens) would give them what they want they wouldn't bother them.....that doesn't involve slavery.......But SG1 is always telling all the nice people they meet in the 133 planets they have visited by Season 6 Memento that the goa'ulds enslave everybod.........
                    No, the people of Abydos were still slaves. They had been brought there against their will, were not allowed to read and write, were required to mine naquahdah and give it to the Goa'uld, were required to worship the Goa'uld... sure sounds like slavery to me. The same occurred in a similar manner on most of the other worlds SG-1 visited. The humans hadn't just gone there and settled, and most of the people SG-1 encountered were humans, not aliens.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                    sigpic
                    now also appearing on DeviantArt
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                      Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      No, the people of Abydos were still slaves. They had been brought there against their will, were not allowed to read and write, were required to mine naquahdah and give it to the Goa'uld, were required to worship the Goa'uld... sure sounds like slavery to me. The same occurred in a similar manner on most of the other worlds SG-1 visited. The humans hadn't just gone there and settled, and most of the people SG-1 encountered were humans, not aliens.
                      Yes and let's not forget that if they became too advanced the Goa'uld would wipe them out... doesn't really sound like it's a simple business arrangement to me.
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

The people of Abydos were as enslaved, it doesn't matter that they didn't have Jaffa overseers. At any moment, Ra's forces could come through the Stargate and punish them. You don't need bars to make a prison. The terrain was extremely inhospitable, there wasn't anywhere else for them to go. Back on Egypt, they wouldn't have lived in the middle of the desert, but lived near the Nile.

Comment

Working...
                        X