No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Who Watched SG-1 Not Watched/DIdn't Like SGA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA came on just as I was starting to get into SG-1. Even then I didn't start really watching either until the end of the first season of SGA. I watched both shows with equal interest and enthusiasm, and even preferred SGA a little bit for its set design and the whole edge-of-the-universe feel to it (which SGU ironically lacked). Looking back, though, I find myself much more interested in SG-1 than SGA. I mean I have the whole blu-ray box set for SGA but I find myself going into my SG-1 dvd box set much more often.

That's not to say there aren't some episodes of SGA I really, really enjoy. I must have seen "The Tao of Rodney" at least 50 times. I would put it on in the background while surfing the internet or something. Likewise albeit to a less extent with "Be All My Sins Remember'd" and "Ghost in the Machine" and of course "First Contact." I can match geek knowledge of SGA with the best of them.

Comment

I greatly prefer SG-1. For me the Wraith were a huge mistake, just like the Ori. I love McKay and several of the SGA characters, but they never had the chemistry of SG-1. I also didn't like a few of the main characters or they were just too cliche for me to like. I thought SGA had a lot of potential, but they really dug themselves into a hole with the Wraith. I probably would have enjoyed the show a lot more if they hadn't started on that wrong foot.
      Last edited by Looney; 08 July 2013, 02:52 PM. Reason: Mistake

Comment

I had no problems with the Ori but, not being into vampire stories, I couldn't get into SGA like I did SG1. Still, I watched and of course bought the series though.
        Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

Comment

I'm not a fan of SGA either. To me it took away the sense of gate travel and dealt mainly with ships and such. I admit only watching a few eps and there was just something missing. The humour was gone and the explorations which made Stargate exciting. Also in comparison with Trek they had exceptional beautiful people playing the mains. I hated when Trek brought in 7of9 for ratings and I feel SGA did the same. SG1 actors are good looking too, but they have a natural appearance, the kind you expect to see as your neighbour. SGA just screams ratings and Hollywood. Not meaning to hate on the models/actors they have their place, just not my cup of tea. It might be shallow, but it doesn't make me believe the show genuine when everybody is perfect looking.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draconus View Post
            SG 1 is the original and the best. I do tend to divide it into two parts, 1-7 and 8-10. Part one waas better but the last seasons were still better than Atlantis.
            Yeah I also feel that way. I watched SGA up to early S5 I think and just got bored... early on it had promise to go somewhere, develop into something, but it just got mired in annoying actors and directionless plots. I almost gave up after S2 but pressed on, kept hoping... but nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Ryan View Post
              I'm not a fan of SGA either. To me it took away the sense of gate travel and dealt mainly with ships and such. I admit only watching a few eps and there was just something missing. The humour was gone and the explorations which made Stargate exciting.
              I much prefer S1-7/8 of SG-1 over Atlantis; that said, if anything, I would say Atlantis was overall a more comedic show than the O'Neill seasons of SG-1. I would also say that the Ronon/Weir seasons of Atlantis were more heavily into gate travel & exploration than the Mitchell seasons of SG-1.

Originally posted by Major Ryan View Post
              Also in comparison with Trek they had exceptional beautiful people playing the mains. I hated when Trek brought in 7of9 for ratings and I feel SGA did the same. SG1 actors are good looking too, but they have a natural appearance, the kind you expect to see as your neighbour. SGA just screams ratings and Hollywood. Not meaning to hate on the models/actors they have their place, just not my cup of tea. It might be shallow, but it doesn't make me believe the show genuine when everybody is perfect looking.
              I can't really see that From a purely superficial POV, SG-1 #2 Michael Shanks looks like, and plays strapping leading man roles. Atlantis #2 David Hewlett joked (don't know how true it is) that in the later seasons they made him wear a hair piece and girdle to appear less fat & bald on screen.

Atlantis #1 Joe F is a handsome man. SG-1 #1 Richard Dean Anderson, while in his early 60s now, came onto the show as an internationally known sex symbol.

Claudia Black & Rachel L both played the sexy alien, but Claudia's was far more sexually charged. Amanda Tapping & Torri Higginson are both very attractive women, but neither played their roles in remotely suggestive ways--in fact both almost exclusively wore baggy uniforms.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

I love all 3 franchises and they are almost equal in my book for one reason or the other. SG-1 feels so warm and nice when you rewatch it and it gets better and better with time. SGA is great but you do not feel that adventure feeling from it and the lack of mythology takes away a lot from the indiana jones feeling of sg-1. Universe's visuals and concepts just take my breath away everytime i watch it. SGA lacks in acting for me as other than mckay, no other character was a solid actor and it looked awkward sometimes.

the one thing i hate most about sgA is the lack of wraith in the later seasons. Wraith looked so cool in the first season but the attention got away from them quickly. And the ancients in the pegasus were far far more stupid than the ones in milky way. Too damn stupid for their own good and it is mind boggling that they lost to wraith(too damn stupid to simply move atlantis)

Comment

I love SG1 but just couldn't get into Atlantis. To be honest I think the only episodes I enjoyed were the ones that had the cast from SG1. The one with Ronan and Teal'c was good. And I watched a few more episodes with Carter involved.

I don't know though, I just couldn't take to it, I think I felt at the time that SG1 WAS the only one, and that Atlantis felt a bit distant.

Comment

I had never gotten into Atlantis. I recorded Atlantis recently as the whole show was being re shown here on TV. I was determined to give it another go as being a huge SG1 fan, I thought there must be something in it for me.
                    Unfortunately I still could not get into it. I think the main reason was not being able to align myself with the characters and I found MacKay's character too central to the show and too irritating to watch
                    I then watched the episodes with Carter involvement and found myself fast forwarding to her parts, so even the story lines weren't holding me.
                    Alas it's back to SG1 for me

Comment

I got my niece interested in SG1, but she didn't think she would like Atlantis. I don't know if she actually watched an episode of it.

Comment

I find Atlantis very forgettable. And I hated that it was "the Rodney show."

Comment

SG1 is epic to me but I haven't watched SGA/SGU .Maybe I'll try to watch it in the future, idk if I'm gonna like it though , cos I am very attached to SG1 characters and all these new faces ,new stories, new enemies just don't feel right for me..

Comment

I started watching SGA first, before I ever heard of SG-1. I found Atlantis okay-ish, but never really liked it.

SG-1 on the other hand I loved immediately, despite Jack O'Neill whom I have never really liked. It was the Goa'uld and the Tok'ra that caught me

I still watched through most of SGA, but it never became more than okay. SGU I haven't gotten through, despite trying several times.
                            sigpic
                            Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

Working...
                            X