• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    MMD, it might be a good idea to add a link of Teps'
    http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/The_Vision_Of_The_Fleets
    to the main page
    Thanks bro, I'll be sure to do that.
    sigpic
    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hey guys you know what we could do to both help creative thought and get the wiki filled up.

We could have a contest for the different Jaffa factions history and how they run their political system. Currently there really isn't much written about the The Republic of Free Jaffa and really nothing for the System Alliance and Sanctum Imperium Illac.

I mean there will be guidelines because of the over arching theme of each faction but it would be nice to have a few big names and an agreed upon back story
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Mike David View Post
        I'll be happy to mention him in Episode 1 and probably use him later on in my story-arc bro.
        Btw, what stories of yours does he feature in? I haven't gotten to any of his appearances yet?
        Teal'c mentions him in a throwaway line in A Shattered Visage; Efom and Belre/Balr were the Lords that sold out Yeminai's smuggling operations in Jaffa Republic territory. Basically, sabotaging his income helps their own influence. That sort of thing.

And you don't have to use him just because I said it; I just wanted people to know he was available. Don't feel any pressure to force him in if you don't need him.

What's "at" stand for? Yea I was going to do a spread of arrows (*might* include a bird, but that probably is unlikely, I have to test some prototypes first). Sunbeams is also a good idea.
        At is the Earth symbol. You know; pra, cla, ru, shu, tao, nas, at?
        (Just as a linguist, I think tao should probably be pronounced as one syllable like the rest; "tau".)
        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
          Hey guys you know what we could do to both help creative thought and get the wiki filled up.

We could have a contest for the different Jaffa factions history and how they run their political system. Currently there really isn't much written about the The Republic of Free Jaffa and really nothing for the System Alliance and Sanctum Imperium Illac.

I mean there will be guidelines because of the over arching theme of each faction but it would be nice to have a few big names and an agreed upon back story
          That sir! Is very interesting. Mi likey this idea. lolz
          sigpic
          You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            Teal'c mentions him in a throwaway line in A Shattered Visage; Efom and Belre/Balr were the Lords that sold out Yeminai's smuggling operations in Jaffa Republic territory. Basically, sabotaging his income helps their own influence. That sort of thing.

And you don't have to use him just because I said it; I just wanted people to know he was available. Don't feel any pressure to force him in if you don't need him.
            Oh okay, cool.

Alrightio, good to know, haha.

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            At is the Earth symbol. You know; pra, cla, ru, shu, tao, nas, at?
            (Just as a linguist, I think tao should probably be pronounced as one syllable like the rest; "tau".)
            Yea, yea, smarty.

Lol, okay, cool yea I can work with that. I have several At symbols saved. It should be too difficult. Do you guys want UNEC in text on the logo or do you guys just want it straight up just as logo with out text in it?
            sigpic

Comment

FINALLY! Got that stupid flippity flip flipper wordmark posted on the wiki! Stupid thing was driving me nuts. It WOULD NOT display for some weird reason. But it is up now finally! yeah! lolz
              sigpic

Comment

So who likes what they're seeing thus far on the wiki? I got a lot of stuff done for the homepage. I added something very... INTERESTING...
                sigpic

Comment

News as of now...

Okay so things are going great on the wiki. After I'm done doing what I'm working on I'm going to go write.

Let me know what you guys think thus far. Actually, there is more "behind the scenes" constructing of the wikia. You'll only be able to notice the major changes when you go to Category:Browse and take a look at the templates and such that I'm adding in, also categories too. I have also edited a *few* pages on the wiki. I edited a tad bit of Immhotep's Vision of the Fleets, the Shadow of the Light, and some other pages... but yea. lol

To Fugiman and Mcoy:

I'm in with the game.
                  sigpic

Comment

UPDATE:

Killman. What I highly recommend you doing immediately and soon bro, is that you need to contact a wiki help personnel (like an admin or whatever) and ask them about how you can make it where people can't edit on the wiki without having an account and having "editor", "moderator" or "admin" statuses assigned by you for this wikia bro. It helps protect people from coming in and vandalizing wikis and I guarantee you brother I wouldn't hesitate to kill the flipper who would attempt to do such an evil deed. I'd be pissed if I found people writing obscenities and such on my wiki. I've seen several wikis get attacked like that, lol.

Check it out:
                    http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                    http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_Wiki

In these wikis you notice that you can only view the page source but not edit them because we're not members of the wiki AND we haven't been given access to be able to edit the wiki either. So I really recommend you talking to an admin about getting the wiki set for that bro.
                    Also another thing, if you have any question during the process or with anything else. Let me know. I've gotten pretty good with this wiki stuff.

As for everyone else... I suggest yall start using your user accounts for our wiki. When the time comes for when we actually get the "view source", killman will be sure to make you guys moderators, editors or whatever...

P.S. To anyone who does not know a lot about CSS text and you're having trouble with something, I'll give you a tip. CSS material is case sensitive.

EDIT: Also, Killman, can you also ask whoever it is you might get in contact with about how to get a background or install one for the wiki when you talk the admin about the wiki protection please bro? I know how to add a background image to the wiki theme, but I just can't figure out what size it needs to be and what not. I've used REALLY big wallpapers and they keep coming up short anyways or not big enough to stretch all the way across the width of the desktop screen.

EDIT2:
                    I made a really in depth template for Tau'ri planets. There is another separate template for planets. But for Tau'ri worlds, I'd recommend using this one. It's cooler.

http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Tau%27ri_World

EDIT3:
                    Killman, forget my request about asking the administrator about the page protection. I figured it out. It was just button away.
                    TO EVERYONE: For whoever uses the wiki to post your material, you better get an account soon because I'm going to be placing protection on pages therefore making it for unregistered and registered users (WHO DO NOT have editing status) being unable from making edits to a our wiki pages. So Tom, Mcoy, Fugiman, and everyone else, yall better get accounts and ask Killman to make yall admins or whatever, mods, what have you.

Thanks for yalls time.

To Killman: I still need you to ask the administrator about the background though. Thanks bro.

EDIT4
                    Killman, did you set http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity as the homepage or something? Because everytime I type in http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki
                    I ALWAYS get the special:wiki activity page to greet me. You might want to do something about that because apparently this "http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/GWVF_Wiki" is not our homepage. People will only see it if we directly link them to it pretty much.
                    I'm sure everyone else here has the same problem as me when I got to the wiki and I get the wikiactivity pop up as the first page to see on our wiki.
                    Last edited by Major Mike David; 09 June 2011, 08:41 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

SO MANY ****ING TEMPLATES AND CATEGORIESS!!!! AHHH!!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Killman. What I highly recommend you doing immediately and soon bro, is that you need to contact a wiki help personnel (like an admin or whatever) and ask them about how you can make it where people can't edit on the wiki without having an account and having "editor", "moderator" or "admin" statuses assigned by you for this wikia bro. It helps protect people from coming in and vandalizing wikis and I guarantee you brother I wouldn't hesitate to kill the flipper who would attempt to do such an evil deed. I'd be pissed if I found people writing obscenities and such on my wiki. I've seen several wikis get attacked like that, lol.

that's what administrator rights are for. we can easily roll back edits, ban IP's, and protect pages. however i felt protecting every page was unnecessary. especially since we're in a massive overhaul.

Killman, did you set http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity as the homepage or something? Because everytime I type in http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki
                        I ALWAYS get the special:wiki activity page to greet me. You might want to do something about that because apparently this "http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/GWVF_Wiki" is not our homepage. People will only see it if we directly link them to it pretty much.
                        I'm sure everyone else here has the same problem as me when I got to the wiki and I get the wikiactivity pop up as the first page to see on our wiki.
                        i use the URL: http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/GWVF_Wiki.

oh and MMD, nice templates but there are a few Star Wars references ....
                        Last edited by thekillman; 09 June 2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

that's what administrator rights are for. we can easily roll back edits, ban IP's, and protect pages. however i felt protecting every page was unnecessary. especially since we're in a massive overhaul.
                          Okay, well I guess atm its okay. But once we get it all set up, I HIGHLY recommend we start protecting the pages. People are idiots and I don't like idiots coming in and screwing stuff up if you know what I mean bro.

Btw, hoped you like the Featured Crewman of the Month.
                          sigpic

Comment

i use the URL: http://gwvf.wikia.com/wiki/GWVF_Wiki.

oh and MMD, nice templates but there are a few Star Wars references ....
                            Hmm... weird... ok.

Haha, yea I know. I've only ever made a few actual templates myself because they take FOREVER. Such as the "Tau'ri World" is one for example. So I opted for the simplest solution. Copy templates created by others, haha. It helps lessen the loud a bit, lolz.

Yea, I'm working on getting those little snippets out of the way.
                            sigpic

Comment

i've removed a few Star Wars references myself.

nice work tho. oh and i noticed Mckoy signed up. was quite a feat given that the tiny winy log was surrounded by 200 Template creation/editing messages.

have you already added an "under construction" category? although technically, the entire Wiki is?

Comment

i've removed a few Star Wars references myself.

nice work tho. oh and i noticed Mckoy signed up. was quite a feat given that the tiny winy log was surrounded by 200 Template creation/editing messages.
                                have you already added an "under construction" category? although technically, the entire Wiki is?
                                Thanks, that helps bro.

Haha, really? That's funny. I'll have to get the link to his user page tomorrow so I can keep filed with other important page links. lol
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X