No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are Praxis and New Mind? And who is Anat? Are they from Stargate Worlds? Because games have . . . questionable canonicity. I stay away from them, but that might be just me.

If you want to introduce a Jaffa faction like what you described then that's fine, but I think most people wanted the Systems Alliance to be similar to what 'killman and I described.

EDIT: The Hebridians are the civilization created by the merger of the freed humans of Hebridan with the Serrakin. They were seen in Space Race and the episode with the prison ship (I don't recall the name).
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
      What are Praxis and New Mind? And who is Anat? Are they from Stargate Worlds? Because games have . . . questionable canonicity. I stay away from them, but that might be just me.

If you want to introduce a Jaffa faction like what you described then that's fine, but I think most people wanted the Systems Alliance to be similar to what 'killman and I described.

EDIT: The Hebridians are the civilization created by the merger of the freed humans of Hebridan with the Serrakin. They were seen in Space Race and the episode with the prison ship (I don't recall the name).
      They may be of questionable canonical value, but the storyline isn't bad. It ties up our loose ends nicely actually. Here's a link: http://en.stargateworldswiki.com/wiki/Praxis

My problem with your versions of the SA is simply that these people are more easily described as the Loyalist Jaffa from Praxis, they still believe in the Goa'uld as gods, so it make sense that they would continue to serve them.

Comment

I didn't really get much from that link. How exactly is it supposed to tie up loose ends?

And the Systems Alliance only corresponds to Praxis if we make Praxis canon.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
          I didn't really get much from that link. How exactly is it supposed to tie up loose ends?

And the Systems Alliance only corresponds to Praxis if we make Praxis canon.
          Well the Goa'uld coalesce under the New Mind regime, the Jaffa that still worship them gather under them, I don't know about OP-CORE, seems extraneous IMO.
          And they have plenty of concept art we can use for inspiration.

The SA doesn't correspond to Praxis, Re'Nai is essentially like a Jaffa Caesar, he wants to build a Jaffa nation better than the corrupt mess that used to be the FJN.

Comment

i was more thinking of worshipping the goauld like normal humans worship gods. a group of people unable to cope with the idea that the goauld are false gods and in stead believe the Goauld snakes were merely avatars or angels or representatives or even imposters. these guys believe that the gods exist, perhaps as ascended beings, they do not really know that, but these people believe they're out there, direct influence thwarted by the Ascended collective.

Praxis? seriously that gives me very wrong ideas. Praxis is a DIY store in my country. very annoying to switch.

i don't think much goauld would be around anymore, there are only thousands, the Goauld kept themselves small and i very much doubt a Jaffa would think before they act. i think out of pure revenge they'd slaughter Symbiotes. the Tok'ra and Tau'ri would be more passive and try give them some form of trial, but the Jaffa won't hear of that.

my idea of an SA is simply jaffa who like the old ways, and who worship the goauld concepts. the Illac Renin are the Jaffa who have switched to Origin. not nessecarily bad guys but people who clearly don't agree with people who think differently. SA and IR guys won't really get along. the Jaffa Republic, being more open-minded, would try and be friends with more races and factions.

i'm not sure that jaffa will shamelessly copy stuff, but i do believe they'll adopt some human ideology and beliefs to their own ways and systems. still jaffa hold Honor high and they won't throw out their core values just like that.

Comment

1- Just to be sure : Are the Jaffa able to manufacture tretonin on their own?

If not, it would mean that the SA and IR somewhat still needs the goa'uld symbiotes. The IR would probably be glad with invading the goa'uld-unas homeworld. But the SA would find that interfering with their own faith.

We could still have the JPA sell them tretonin since they are the most neutral nation among the Jaffas.

2- Do they still have the head tattoo / molten gold symbol?
              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Just read the backstory Mcoy, looks good.
                I was thinking of something: In my standard equipment I mentioned beam and pulse weapons could we say that during the asgard-core days we learnt how to build beam and pulse weapons, but because the core was removed, our own versions are far weaker than the Asgard ones?

Comment

1- Just to be sure : Are the Jaffa able to manufacture tretonin on their own
                  it would be the first thing they demand from the Tok'ra.

but the Tok'ra probably gave the technology to speed up the freeing process

2- Do they still have the head tattoo / molten gold symbol?
                  they probably won't go away that easily. though i doubt newborns will get the symbol. perhaps the more traditional oriented people in the nations will do it.

Just read the backstory Mcoy, looks good.
                  I was thinking of something: In my standard equipment I mentioned beam and pulse weapons could we say that during the asgard-core days we learnt how to build beam and pulse weapons, but because the core was removed, our own versions are far weaker than the Asgard ones?
                  i prefer no beam weapons.

just use good ol fashioned earth-designed ones. we've been reverse engineering them for decades, surely we'd pick the fruits at some point

Comment

Maybe beam weapons in the sense that Felger's gun was a "beam weapon", but not lances of doom like the Asgard ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well that's what I was thinking of more Mcoy, Felger's weapon with a hint of influence from asgard beam weapons (ie how to make it a decent beam weapon).

Comment

I think we have the capability in theory to produce our own enrgy based weapons. They may be crude and not quite as powerful as Asgard beam weapons but from what we've learnt should be good enough against Goa'uld tech ships.

KM what exaclty are we voting for on the ships? Design, quantity, capability and classes/size?
                        My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                        sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

the specs and models, what else?

Comment

We need to vote on the standardisation as well, you've put one up and so have I, so we need clarity on what tech is going to be used.

Comment

i'm no expert on costs and i can't beat or compete at that. i'm more of a tech guy.

i think costs are hard and complex. i think ships should cost a few dozen billion each. hundreds isn't achievable, NATO expended 600 billion on defence last year. that's on the whole picture. earth could build a humongous fleet, if we spent 100% of all money on defence. we don't.

i think a 304 rated at 45 billion is sufficient. hyperdrive research cost 2 billion for Prometheus, so the ships are expensive but not over 100 billion. even a BB of 600m would cost approx 80 billion or so, perhaps close to 100 billion.

can someone get us a Wiki? would be useful. although i'd think we should add stuff as we go along, as opposed to making info-dumps

Comment

If we are considiering costs, i have a few thoughts, the average basic helicopter at time of Vietnam war was around USD 60,000-100,000 without military add-ons (which from lack of having the actual history book with me only by memory IIRC the actual full total cost was near to 150K per helicopter.) So I'll assume that USD 150K would be cost for a single gunship, now do we vote on design or what? I'm really curious to how we vote on things liek that

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X