No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry. But where do you guys actually post all your stories, I cant seem to find them any where and I would love to be able to get a better idea of what happens here.

Comment

Originally posted by Endorfinator View Post
      I'm sorry. But where do you guys actually post all your stories, I cant seem to find them any where and I would love to be able to get a better idea of what happens here.
      there should be a story thread ( called "GWVF 4.0 story thread" i believe, not sure if actual title).

although, as you can judge by the post dates, it's dead.

(you can search for 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 too, but they're even bigger threads with 99.99% discussion)

Comment

given i havnt been on for 3 years im guessing theres a hell of a lot ive missed
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Hello folks just checking in how are things?

I am satisfying my Stargate addiction by continuing the write my own novel for SGA and reading all the books I can find on E bay.
          sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
            Hello folks just checking in how are things?

I am satisfying my Stargate addiction by continuing the write my own novel for SGA and reading all the books I can find on E bay.
            Hi, Gormagon.

I'm feeding mine by reading some really good fanfics at fanfiction.net and writing my own fanfiction.
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

I've been reduced to just watching the show again.....

God I need to be a geek again soon!
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

lol
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Here soon I will submit my ship design but I don't have a good computer to model on so it will be a drawing is that alright?

Comment

Yeah should be fine mate.

Oh so, do you think a E5 based energy weapon could be made to temporarily cause a very small localized subspace rupture or tear where it impacts/discharges making a random flood of E5 radiation and particles slam the target, causing additional damage/shield disruption because of the more random nature of the attack?

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Oh so, do you think a E5 based energy weapon could be made to temporarily cause a very small localized subspace rupture or tear where it impacts/discharges making a random flood of E5 radiation and particles slam the target, causing additional damage/shield disruption because of the more random nature of the attack?
                      doubt it. From what we've seen, nothing indicates a particularly volatile space/subspace interaction.

Comment

Not with space, with the E5 particles/radiation of the weapon and or the targets shield and the exotic radiation of generalized subspace, also causing an unexpected introduction of varying subspace energy into the shield field of the target and/or hull. I.E, bypassing their shield modulations to a certain degree by introducing random effects. Or, since every race has a unique subspace frequency the odds of the weapon discharge introducing radiation along a frequency that the target is not setup to handle/not ready to handle because its not expecting to deal with subspace effects inside normal space.

'But ships enter and exit subspace all the time to travel'.

Yes, but here are some pieces of the puzzle-

"We know they will need to drop out somewhere along the way for hull regeneration...."

The organic nature of Hiveships is responsible for this of course, but even regular space is full of dangerous cosmic rays (Often overlooekd by Scifi is the fact that these rays can turn a metal hull into a radiation oven for your crew.) therefore its likely subspace is full of radiation as well but of the exotic type. The hyperspace bubble often referred to and possibly other technology as yet unmentioned protects the traveling ship and crew from the negative effects of the subspace radiation.....and here is the clincher, it only protects best against the subspace radiation most often found on their technologies assigned hyperspace frequency. Why? Well for one its the frequency that they happen to be using, making protection from that specific radiation most important. not to say they wont be setup for say hyperspace 'turbulence', frequency overlap for example, but they will best deal with their own frequency. Why setup your bulky, power hogging system to deal as effectively with effects your unlikely to encounter on a regular basis as with the effects you are 100% sure to encounter? Hence, they would be vulnerable to other subspace frequency effects.

"...the specific subspace frequencies the Wraith use will be destabilized...."

"...Which means we will need shields which means you want everything."

"Asgard vessels can use neither their shields or weapons in hyperspace, and this seems to hold true for vessels of other races as well. No reason has been given for this, but it's likely related to the difference in physical laws, or simply that maintaining hyperspace velocities requires an enormous amount of power."

Subspace is full of power/radiation. My weapon principle allows for the usage of tiny subspace tears to release exotic energy in the form of radiation upon a target.

Other thoughts-

Multiple frequency discharges?

Energy weapons that contain multiple exotic modulations...how?

Interior annihilation additional effect weapon?

A weapon that causes E5 particles to split each other apart creating a wider range of radiation types for the target to deal with?

BTW Tep would you object to the eventual use of the Adnihilo in one of my future novels?

Comment

I.E, bypassing their shield modulations to a certain degree by introducing random effects.
                          If that's the end goal, then i can help you easily with this.

The problem lies in how you see a shield. We know it's a paper-thin barrier of some kind, and i've theorized it's a structure of an exotic material.

The thing is that modulation is an effective counter-measure against weaponry of a certain kind. Modulation being a way to alter this structure so it more effectively resists the energy weapon, whereas the energy weapon tries to destroy this structure.

From a practical point of view, however, perfect modulation is a pipe dream. For every vulnerability you close, you open one. in "gauntlet" making the shield impervious to drones made it vapor to everything else. While the Ori employed similar constructs to the 304's, ha'tak and asgard vessels, the Asgard clearly found a way around this.

However, the reason why this is a pipe dream is because when faced with modulation, only a complete fool would expose themselves to it.

The simplest way to battle it, is to stop using the exact same design for every gun on your ship. By enforcing minute differences, perfect modulation is taken out of the equation.

"Asgard vessels can use neither their shields or weapons in hyperspace, and this seems to hold true for vessels of other races as well. No reason has been given for this, but it's likely related to the difference in physical laws, or simply that maintaining hyperspace velocities requires an enormous amount of power."
                          It's the latter. The instance you refer to is when Thor gave chase to a replicator ship, requiring every watt of power to be dedicated to the hyperdrive to keep up. Powering the weapons would instantly take them out of weapons range.

Multiple frequency discharges?
                          use multiple types of weapons. if available, exchange tech with aliens.

Energy weapons that contain multiple exotic modulations...how?
                          not sure.

Interior annihilation additional effect weapon?
                          Personally i wonder if at some point, circumverting the entire shield may be better to begin with. alternatively, i think plain armor might work wonders when facing super-ultra modulation tech.

A weapon that causes E5 particles to split each other apart creating a wider range of radiation types for the target to deal with?
                          Not sure if this even works.

A simplistic cannon design would over-engineer the part that causes that specific energy weapon frequency with a double or triple redundancy, and then constantly switch between them. Doesn't even need to be a complete barrel.

Similarly, stepping away from a 1-generator shield to say, a ~10 generator shield may make it easier to dynamically switch frequencies.
                          Last edited by thekillman; 12 May 2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Unrelatedly, i am gaining a taste for harder sci fi. Stargate taking heat out of the equation kind of robs scifi of it's finer taste.

Not gonna go all ultrahard because at some point, that just gets boring and too much like a dayjob. But SG's Asgard Core Von Neumann strategy makes everything in the universe just too easy.

I would personally go for something like a liquid salt cooled, Uranium-fuelled warship. 3-4 laser turrets fed by an equal amount of laser sources. Make it so the entire firepower can be redirected to 1 turret. These turrets are basically glorified lens/mirror combinations with the actual laser deep inside the ship. (i've seen workshop setups where numerous laser machines are fed by nicely tucked-away laser sources)

Use a nuclear lightbulb for propulsion. Secondary railguns (~6-8) with complex ordnance for anti-missiles and additional firepower.

Comment

A comeback to shield frequency modulation:

The basis of shield frequency modulation is that the shield strength oscilates (that's what frequency is after all) and that at certain points, it's zero (again: frequency).

I've been wondering if shields are worth it to begin with. Take a Ha'tak. It's supposed to be outputting megatons of firepower. Our generators are producing megatons of energy, transfering it to the shields (with losses) and then the shield tries to absorb all this energy. (and radiate it somehow).

Take the weapon and aim it at the planet and the effect isn't exactly spectacular. Especially penetration seems to be a problem.

Take a deathglider. With minimum power, it moves to jupiter in ~hours.

On a spaceship, every microgram is a penalty, but with kiloton to megaton energy production, every SG ship is a torchship (that is: no need for elaborate transfer orbits, just point in a direction and fire thrusters).

So, shields are power hogs, energy weapons are not particularly effective to mass and thrust is no problem.

Would it not be a million times more effective to start equipping ships with ~100m of armor, a set of appropriate thrusters (the payload ratio of a Hiveship is better than a 302) with enough power to boil the ocean over atlantis (read: not much more powerful than hive thrusters) and heavily-armored turrets on board (preferably with local, 3-phase shields that drop periodically to fire and sensors to raise and lower them in time) that are specifically designed to just blast enemy ships from the sky.

With all this shield stuff going on, nothing would be more effective as a weapon than some kind of continuous beam, as inevitably power's gonna leak through (because frequency) and you get endless amounts of free damage without complex engineering.

The payload would be perhaps ~60% armor, ~30% engine and the rest is whatever you need to make the other two work. A tel'tak had no problem hyperspacing a piece of rock much bigger than the ship i propose so a couple of asgard drives should be able to move this AetheroFortress (or: "glorified asteroid") across galaxies.

No shield with pesky phase problems. No pesky enemy ships occupying a significant percentage of your power output. The engines themselves would be powerful enough to cut a hive in half (not as big a challenge as you think). Make it semi-spherical (shouldn't be too complex to build), and make the outer layers of something like water ice (with something like a woven fullerene mesh to stick it together) or something cheap and available with an even higher specific energy and low heat and electricity conduction.

If the enemy tries to nuke it, just use laser batteries to blow them nukes out of the sky.

Shielded ships seem to have a paper-like armor so blasting through armor with some kind of high-intensity laser beam (preferably gamma or Xray) or particle beam (preferably neutrons) would do wonders. Do note that while this is probably fairly ineffective against the shield, it's inevitably going to penetrate the shield and blast the enemy ship apart.

just a reminder:

the more difficult you make it to deal with a system, the more people will try to circumvent the whole system rather than defeat it.
                              Last edited by thekillman; 12 May 2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                                one of my future novels?
                                Who is your publisher ? Seriously I ask becacuse I want to know what to look for on store shelves

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                                "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                                "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X