X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Experiment 442 View Post
    The Spiramortu:

Spoiler:
    Spiramortu are a race of biomechanical beings that are rather beast like to look upon. Electronics and hydraulics peeking through flesh skin and organic enhancements; a brain being the ultimate storage device and organs being the most efficient way of healing and survival. But with the advantage of slightly increased strength and more malleable form, one could manage to kill an SG team, definitely if the team was unaware. The Biomechanical structure comes with a downside of reproduction from natural forms being very artificial. Eighty percent of offspring die within the first day, another fifteen percent die within an Earth year of birth. This is due to over extending the variations upon which individuals take to survive different threats.

Spiramortu have a tendency to find cold and darkness at day but heat and light at night; it is thought that they do this because of primal instinct. Any bright shining light will force them to flee, while a dim glow will draw them near. They can live in any climate which has gases that contain oxygen atoms. Their lungs are more advanced at breathing than most other species. They feed off anything that can help the individual survive longer, depending on its density and atomic structure.

A new born is about a meter in length. Within a year it will grow to the size of five meters long. A fully grown Spiramortu is nearly nine meters long. They look like large foxes or wolves when not adapting. A pure Spiramortu is one that has chosen to never adapt, given any circumstance, they are normally called stupid.

Spiramortu can change any part of their form to complete a task. If they are facing an extremely bright light on all side, a Spiramortu will switch to sonar rather than seeing visible light. This is something that takes a while for the mind of an individual to understand and cannot be kept for long or will cause permanent damage to the already damaged variety.

Their intelligence is that of FTL travel, and self regenerating materials. Their ships are not to be seen as organic, they do not feel pain, but large sections heal and rebuild when given the right materials. When on land, certain units are given power cells. These are used to boost communication strength or to boost the speed of adaptation. This is only the speed; the minerals required are still needed for the adaptation to occur. There is also a limit to the lengths a Spiramortu can change itself. It cannot, for instance, grow a new organ or grow another limb. An adaption would be more armour to the body, or spines, not a complex weapon. Of course armour decreases the speed at which a Spiramortu can run. Being beast-like, they have enhanced senses. These can be further enhanced by power management on the unit’s behalf.

Their culture is one very similar to humans’, just different in some areas. For instance, they are not ruled by one single government or dictator. Different cultures are spread into ‘names’ Fra for example is a Name, and last name is the unit’s own name. Different Names are ruled by different leaderships. Fra is led by a Democracy. Tri is led by a Dictatorship. The leaders of the Names meet when large discussions are needed. Fighting between the Names are rare at best. If challenged, a Spiramortu can kill the challenger. This can be as little as a shove, and if not apologised for, will result in a fight. A fight will result in either one or both combatants dying. Fighting is not stopped, unless there is something urgent occurring, in which case it is called a draw. Fighting between Name leaders is a sign of war. Vocal fights are common, the victor is the one with the better understanding or argument; this involves no death of any combatant. Their economy revolves around ‘what you can give me that is worth what I’m going to give you’ idea.

They are not to be taken as invincible. Bullets can break flesh and any shot to the bare chest would cause considerable damage to organs. A shot to the head, as in most cases, would kill. The fact that they number in the hundreds of thousands is a handicap as well. They are decreasing to the point of endangerment.

And thus comes the reason for human assistance; the Asgard cannot help, the Nox will not help a Biomechanical beast race and the Furlings are extinct. The Seeders do nothing. Humankind seems to be the last race capable of helping, and the first encounter has put them on the hostile board.

(I’ll go into further detail if everyone is ok with me continuing)

First Encounters (Just an opening)
    Spoiler:
    A cold night; it’s always cold on this planet. Heat reserves are running low and minerals are nearly depleted. The Spiramortu wanders on a hopeless mission of discovery: new minerals maybe? No, a usual mixture of Iron, Carbon, Oxygen; the list went on. Spitting out the last bite it heard something. Fra’ti sent ten percent more power to senses. He quickly sparked a fire on a tree to gain attention.

A shout of speech shouted out from north. It was a strange language; a mixture of noises and hums, then another; seeming to be the same language. Fra’ti growled a friendly greating and walked forward. A new mineral was what he was sent for, and new race is what he found. A bright light flashed in his direction and he jumped back. The fire was only dim, like a smouldering lump of wood. He backed away to sit on top of it and waited for heat reserves to go up.

He closed his eyes. There was another flash that caused him to be rather rude. He growled an apology and lowered his head. The light flashed on him and stayed there. That was just rude. He put his arm in the way and waved it trying to signal ‘it hurts’. There was another shout in the language. Fra’kia, his father was joining him on this mission; just an overview. But he was also rather aggressive; Fra’ti’s mother had taught him respect, Fra’kia had taught him how to survive. The strange things were standing on two limbs and using the other two to hold what looked like projectile weaponry. A hunter group maybe; if so, sparking the fire was a good thing.

Coving all the necessary areas, he grew a coat of metal armour, a few spines here and there to look threatening, also to keep them off if they had poisonous fangs. He grew a dimming cover over his eyes to keep bright light to a minimum; also adding a long sharp metallic piece to his forearms. Fra’ti followed them for many hours; they seemed to just be wandering, like him. Maybe the weapons were for protection? They stopped every now and again to plant a small scanning device into the ground; also looking for minerals then.

Fra’kia was in contact with a howl every now and again. Fra’nia was by a power cell receiving instructions from their head of department. Chu’Nia was their contact unit; he would signal the head of department if they needed information. Apparently they were called Humans. Very intelligent, but also stupid; and intelligent stupid races were the kind that started wars. Wars were not what were needed right now. Head of Department had told them to follow and observe. Their language was rather easy to download.

From listening to them, he had discovered: Corporal Benson was the one with the scanning device, a female with a weapon was Sergeant Munds, the two other males were difficult to tell apart, but one was known as Andrew and the other Marks.

“Marks, could you please hurry up and tell Corporal Benson that there is no Naquidah on the planet? It is freezing here. I’m wearing winter clothing for crying out loud, and it’s still cold.” Sergeant Munds seemed to understand that it was, ‘cold’ here. It was in fact minus five degrees Celsius according to the other equipment Marks was holding. It was only going to get colder.

“Yeah, it’s only going to get colder and that wolf thing I saw wasn’t the nicest thing I’ve ever seen.” Marks replied in a give up tone. Fra’ti had used that tone of growl in an argument with his parents many a time.

“Uh-huh, the magical wolf that can walk on fire and is half machine.” Corporal Benson mocked, at least Fra’ti thought so.

“What are all those growls we keep hearing then?” Marks argued.

“Probably wolves; the normal variety we see on Earth.” Munds said.

“I guess you’re right.”

A few hours later, and it was minus ten degrees Celsius. They had reached a novelty ring shaped thing that stuck out of the ground. Fra’ti listened to the wind. Chu’Nia was saying, “Make contact” Along with a language download. It would take about five minutes to install into his system; the extra vocal instruments and such.

“Stop!” Fra’kia shouted in the human language. He was about nine meters long and three high, like all Spiramortu adults. “What was your purpose on this planet?”

“Shoot it Munds!” Andrew shouted.

“Why?” Munds asked a bit confused.

“It’s a space wolf for crying out loud, I doubt it just wants to talk!”

“Andrew shut up.” Munds shouted.

There was an explosion from within one of the weapons the human’s carried and a small metal projectile shaped for maximum speed flew at eight hundred and fifty meters a second into Fra’ti’s father’s left shoulder. Mutilated by a crash or not, that was aggression toward a Spiramortu. His father stood still for a few seconds. His head turning to his shoulder and then toward the one who fired the projectile. With a quick lash, Benson’s head rolled to the ground as Fra’kia’s tail cut through his spine. As soon as this happened, the three other human’s weapons were cut into pieces by Fra’kia’s shoulder gauss cannon. The power cell on his back was empty now.

“Leave this planet.” Fra’kia turned away and disappeared into the dense forest.

“Benson!” Munds shouted as she ran to the body and turned to Fra’kia. “You can’t get away with this!”

“We do what we must in order to survive.” Fra’kia quoted from a famous article that the Head of Department wrote.

One of them had already started to walk toward a device in the ground. Andrews pressed one of the symbols in and then it started to glow. The ring shaped object flashed as an inner ring turned, it was covered in all the symbols on the circular device. Another six were dialled in until a red orb glowed then a blue fracture erupted from the ring. The three ran through and then it disappeared.

Fra’ti had memorised the symbols and order in which they were pressed. He walked over and pressed them again. It activated. After a few minutes of staring at the blue water like substance, it disappeared again. His father had appeared again and was releasing a sensor to hover around the ring device.

“If they return, I will not be so forgiving.” Fra’kia said with an angry growl.
    I suppose that when you tell that Earth could help them, it's by using bioengineering and making children stronger. Unless we really have to teach them about how to take care of babies

Does it mean also that by 2025 some Earth nations could find eugenics acceptable? Or will we have boundaries about how much you can modify the DNA?
    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

I would like to write and set out what would the Colony's personnel structure and numbers would be from the 1st day of landing upon a suitable planet, anyone like to assist with that?

I also have an idea as to how we can start with a 2015 timeline and the circumstances that lead to the setting up of the colonies, then a general progression to the 2025 date.
      My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
      sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Can we have these guys in the series

Spoiler:

Comment

I was thinking that maybe British SG-teams could have been drawn from the SRR pre-disclosure, since they're more secretive. But all those guys are good. (And yes, I see that the ones you put the video up for were Australian, not British.)
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
            I was thinking that maybe British SG-teams could have been drawn from the SRR pre-disclosure, since they're more secretive. But all those guys are good. (And yes, I see that the ones you put the video up for were Australian, not British.)
            I think perhaps "British" based teams would most likely br drawn from the Commonwealth, with a mixed command struture. And the most effective teams from those would be SAS, SBS and the Aust. CDT's.

Comment

i was under the impression that most colonies formed, or for that matter grew big because people wouldn't agree with the situation at home and leave for a better place.

anyway most colonies wouldn't be able to build ship, i think only the top 3/4 could, with at least a million inhabitants.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                i was under the impression that most colonies formed, or for that matter grew big because people wouldn't agree with the situation at home and leave for a better place.

anyway most colonies wouldn't be able to build ship, i think only the top 3/4 could, with at least a million inhabitants.
                True, any colony unless it reached a certain level of infrastructure and manufactoring and population, would be very unlikey have that capability. Thus for the first 20 years or so, ships would have to be sourced from the homeworld. And that would depend entirely on the number of original colonists.

North America and Australia are perfect examples of this type of growth. They were for many years reliant on England for technology, and were both frontier lands for a long time before they stood on their own.

Comment

I'm currently standardising the equipment, what would you guys think if I tried to estimate the price for each component? Like for example 1 naquadah enhanced nuke = $6 million. Of course the estimates will be based on current prices for naval ship components.

Comment

We should also decide on the value of Naquadah and Trinium per kilo.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

both are the wet dream of every construction person out there.

what's the value of stuff like gold, platinum and palladium?

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                        I suppose that when you tell that Earth could help them, it's by using bioengineering and making children stronger. Unless we really have to teach them about how to take care of babies

Does it mean also that by 2025 some Earth nations could find eugenics acceptable? Or will we have boundaries about how much you can modify the DNA?
                        You misunderstand their problem. Think about dogs. A labrador can break its legs much easier thanks to breeding. The Spiramortu have the same problem, but by adapting to different situations and making changes perminent, most of their young die from birth because their form isn't 'right'. Most don't survive the first year because of adapting problems, breathing, walking, organ failure, ect. ect.

They are born Biomechanical, the mechanical parts are not implanted or added.

I wasn't even thinking that they would become allies at first. They would probably be placed on the 'Shoot on sight' list then fight with humans every now and again. And I was also thinking the wraith might be introduced into this somehow. (A theory on earth developed that these are 'Wratih Houds' or something like that)
                        Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          both are the wet dream of every construction person out there.

what's the value of stuff like gold, platinum and palladium?
                          In 2008 the price of platinum ranged from $774 to $2,252 per oz.
                          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I don't know if something can be "born" bio-mechanical . . . at least at that level.

And colonies would also form because of business ventures, 'killman. People will go where the money is.
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

The thing is Naquadah and Trinium would be cheaper if used by the mining colony as there aren't any transport costs.

Comment

I don't think it's so much the transport costs as it is the fact they can't be found on Earth, also the fact they're integral to advanced technology can't help.

Considering per ounce they're bound to be extremely expensive, building any sort of ship using alloys of those materials will be FAR too expensive for anything other than the richest corparations of colonies. Perhaps we'd see ships built with steel etc...for the smaller colonies as they can't afford the cost of the best materials.

If a colony has its own mines it could use its own naquadah or trinium to build ships or simply sell to make up the cost of their own vessel.

Comment

Working...
                                X