Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
    I was not gonna say anything....bad cat.
    I try Hehehe

Anyhow, on a more serious topic, I've been thinking of weapons, Mostly melee weapons. Do we have any ? If not, can I make some ? If I am able ot make some, what are the limits ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Limits? Your tech level and industrial capacity.

My guys have Wakizashis (Small swords) and daggers. Commanders and Karkaris carry Katanas.

But ranged weapons are usually more useful. We had a massive discussion about this already a while back.
      Last edited by Gormagon; 19 April 2012, 12:00 PM.
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Awinita
        Anyhow, on a more serious topic, I've been thinking of weapons, Mostly melee weapons. Do we have any ? If not, can I make some ? If I am able ot make some, what are the limits ?
        I suppose there is scope to do something like this since I don't see anyone else doing it. Logically I would have expected Earth to stay with either the Marine combat knife or the Army Ranger Tomahawk (the latter of which is pretty badass), but like I said, maybe there is something there.

As far as alien designs go the Sons of Sobek use an archaic form of powered exoskeleton which I've postulated as a distant precursor to the elaborate folding 'snake' and 'hawk' head dresses that we saw the Jaffa wearing in early SG episodes and the in the original movie. They are a pain to make and use but they make the users extremely dangerous in close-quarter combat.

Apart from that the Goa'uld I write about also forge swords though not as their primary battle weapon, they use it mostly for intimidation even though they are exceptionally skilled at using them. I haven't really settled on a particular design they will tend to but I know that they won't look like the sword that Baal carried in the movie where he was killed with it.

That aside, I've been dabbling with the Taqir destroyer model which has yielded the following so far:

Spoiler:

Those with some familiarity with the anime 'Last Exile' will recognize the extremely heavy influence from Anatoray's Urbanus class cruiser.

Comment

That aside, I've been dabbling with the Taqir destroyer model which has yielded the following so far:
          What are its capabilities?

My guys armor and swords are stronger then diamond, the armor is very light. They have spiked gauntlets, elbows and boots. I did not make them powered however. Higher quality melee weapons are of course trinium alloy.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

My guys armor and swords are stronger then diamond, the armor is very light. They have spiked gauntlets, elbows and boots. I did not make them powered however. Higher quality melee weapons are of course trinium alloy.
            Why am I reminded of Nightingale armor ?

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
              I suppose there is scope to do something like this since I don't see anyone else doing it. Logically I would have expected Earth to stay with either the Marine combat knife or the Army Ranger Tomahawk (the latter of which is pretty badass), but like I said, maybe there is something there.

As far as alien designs go the Sons of Sobek use an archaic form of powered exoskeleton which I've postulated as a distant precursor to the elaborate folding 'snake' and 'hawk' head dresses that we saw the Jaffa wearing in early SG episodes and the in the original movie. They are a pain to make and use but they make the users extremely dangerous in close-quarter combat.

Apart from that the Goa'uld I write about also forge swords though not as their primary battle weapon, they use it mostly for intimidation even though they are exceptionally skilled at using them. I haven't really settled on a particular design they will tend to but I know that they won't look like the sword that Baal carried in the movie where he was killed with it
              I am thinking similar to a Katana, only, better..... Virbo weapons, or chainswords, either one works

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                Why am I reminded of Nightingale armor ?
                It looks similar, in some respects but not quite as bulky, more streamlined. The color is usually black. Think, "Japanesed ninja'd Batman "armor. Full face helmets with infa-red/night vision and binocular capabilities are available.

Regular soldiers have less sophisticated armor then the special forces. Special forces infa-red helmets can see inside buildings and track people or energy sources. High powered weapons allow many targets to be killed well inside the "safety" of a building.

Comment

What are its capabilities?
                  I have a few systems which I'm just busy balancing. The lower protruding structures are the area defence missile arrays which operate in saturation mode for the most part. The main upper hull structure houses the anti-ship missiles which can either be cold launched from 2 (maybe 4) forward launch tubes or vertically launched from the mid-deck which I haven't modelled yet. The underside of the upper hull houses a massive, non-articulating particle cannon which occupies much of the lower decks. That will serve as the anti-shield solution.

The other systems I'm still defining though the one thing that almost certainly will come is a massive sub-space sensor array which will constitute almost half the length of the ship for high sensitivity and high resolution.

Originally posted by Awinita
                  I am thinking similar to a Katana, only, better..... Virbo weapons, or chainswords, either one works
                  Hm, the problem with swords like katana are that they only really shine at mid-close combat range. That's why Japanese pirates favoured wakizashi over katana since they shorter weapon is simply more versatile (hence the use of knives/machete/tomahawk axes in modern armies.

Personally I always found the use of vibro-weapons outside of Evangelion or chainswords outside of 40k to be kind of silly. I don't know how you will avoid making them seem 'retarded' in a Star Gate setting. Who is supposed to use these things by the way?

Comment

I need to write some more of my story. May do it tomorrow...Ill be busy all weekend long. You guys probably wont hear from me at all.

Comment

It looks similar, in some respects but not quite as bulky, more streamlined. The color is usually black. Think, "Japanesed ninja'd Batman "armor. Full face helmets with infa-red/night vision and binocular capabilities are available.

Regular soldiers have less sophisticated armor then the special forces. Special forces infa-red helmets can see inside buildings and track people or energy sources. High powered weapons allow many targets to be killed well inside the "safety" of a building.
                      You don't play Skyrim do you ? pale red Nightingale armor for a Kahjiit is considered one of the best armors in the game. Very pretty too! Lightweight, almost wieghtless infact. blends in with darkness or other surroundings.

Be happy I am not thinking of Mandalorian armor.....

Comment

So, not naquadah? Would he not have called it "naquadah"? I would love to know what it was.
                        given that Trinium apparently works as a powersource too (since the Tollan used it but didn't seem to use Naquahdah), i presume they meant Neutronium.

if that makes sense....

*alarm bells go off*

Say ... what, now?
                        god, you remind me of my thermodynamics professor. he quite literally sang "Energy is never lost" in front of the whole class. godaweful moment.

Thermodynamically, it's sound, as it's basically venting stored energy. and when i say "creating" energy i mean producing Work of course.
                        EDIT:
                        do i need to add "no EXTERNAL input energy" as well?

I've been thinking of weapons, Mostly melee weapons. Do we have any
                        i think Trinium-alloy combat knives will do fine. and vibro weapons? *shudders*

Comment

Wouldn't it just be easier to have hardened steel knives?

Or is the only knife a soldier will ever get?
                          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                          A Face you Can Trust
                          sigpic
                          So whats the worst that could happen?
                          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Be happy I did not mention lightsabers, though with our current technology, they could be possible.....

Comment

the only "lightsaber" we'll ever get is a generic laser. any of the SW effects like bullet deflection are pure BS and belong in the realm of fantasy. SW is 90% fantasy anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                You don't play Skyrim do you ?
                                Actually I do, but mine is totally glitched out so I cant finish the thieves guild quest line(Or the dark brotherhood.) with my level 36 dude, I only know of the grey colored Nighting gale armor.

Be happy I am not thinking of Mandalorian armor.....
                                Mandalorian armor varies in color though, a lot. I wonder which is tougher, Mandalorian iron or the Fullerene we have now.

Comment

Working...
                                X