No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you like downsides, their f.t.l technologies would be more expensive. Perhaps they would require bigger parts as well.
    their advantage would only work at home. anywhere else, it's as much of a disadvantage to them as their home is a disadvantage to others.

i'd like you to consider this:

good stories are not about how people succeed, they're about how people fail. limits are far better storytellers than the limitless.

Comment

Er, wouldent more robust technology be less susceptible to being damaged in battle ? Or overloads? But in general yes, their advantage would mostly be in their own space.

Although I just had an idea, if they expanded outside their own space and had ship building facilities out there, they wouldent need the bulky drives.

good stories are not about how people succeed, they're about how people fail. limits are far better storytellers than the limitless.
      kk. Ill work on that.

Heres a concept if your doing something with zombies in your story, the "undead" or infected or mutated or w/e are unaware that they are so, their brains are rewired. To their perceptions, other, "normal" people seem like the weird or bad guys. Just an idea.
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Er, wouldent more robust technology be less susceptible to being damaged in battle ? Or overloads? But in general yes, their advantage would mostly be in their own space.
        uhm, just to give you an idea of what design is like.

all designs feature safety factors. a safety factor is the difference between the most powerful stress in the material, and the acceptable stress in the material. common safety factors are 1.5 for general design, 3 for axles. in aerospace, they work pretty darn close to a safety factor of 1. which is why you read articles about, for example the JSF, where the test vehicle has cracks etc in them.

what you're basically saying, is that the Houjin would require a much studier drive. and since no other hyperdrive failed to a supernova other than the Prometheus' drive, i think the concept of hard-to-navigate subspace is not a very sound one.

don't get me wrong: it's possible. just not on the levels of Goauld tech. i think they're already too advanced to be bothered by fluctuations like these.

the only thing in the galaxy i consider of sufficient strength to interfere with Subspace, is the Galactic Core. it's also what i consider to cause the subspace "your mileage may vary". in Stargate, intergalactic travel is much faster than interstellar. it's shown that Intergalactic drives are much slower in-galaxy (by many orders of magnitude) than outside the galaxy.

so my theory is: Subspace is denser around galaxies. it does interact with gravity, so it makes sense. plus, it would account for Dark Matter.

at the core of the galaxy, Subspace would be densest.

Heres a concept if your doing something with zombies in your story, the "undead" or infected or mutated or w/e are unaware that they are so, their brains are rewired. To their perceptions, other, "normal" people seem like the weird or bad guys. Just an idea.
        the general accepted view of Zombies is that they only possess basic life functions, IE, eating, moving, etc.

Comment

Houjin advantages, their specialties.
          Metallurgy/nano engineering.
          F.T.L technologies.
          Bio-engineering.

I think it wont be possible to come up with any reasonable disadvantages without first making some stories about them, so I am going to develop some short stories, a mini series if you will, about them. Once we get more background on them it will be easier.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

My question would be for you to define "nano engineering"

We've had problems with this topic before (not looking at Tom )
            Vote Anubis for President in 2012
            A Face you Can Trust
            sigpic
            So whats the worst that could happen?
            Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
            It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post

(puts feet up) Hey, my stuff was well defined. Not my fault you lot can't appreciate my brand of crazy.

Comment

Fullerene based and other like materials, and they do have nanites but they are not anything uber. We actually have talked about this before. I can provide more detail about the capabilities of said nanites if you like.

They shouldent be an issue. Not even close to HFR level.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  (puts feet up) Hey, my stuff was well defined. Not my fault you lot can't appreciate my brand of crazy.
                  IU wonder if you could handle my brand of crazy........ possibly not....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                    I can provide more detail about the capabilities of said nanites if you like.
                    Yes please

And Tom I'm crazy but I think you another type of crazy
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Yes please

I'm also crazy, however, to a very dangerous degree, because I'm smart enough to knoe they can lock me up, but I'm crazy enough to know I can be locked up, so I get paid to be nuts on some Productions

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Yes please

You think they accidentally exposed me to a Tome of Eldritch Engineering as a kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                          You think they accidentally exposed me to a Tome of Eldritch Engineering as a kid?
                          I'm thinking more of a Tome of Insane Engineering myself

Anyhow I too wonder what exactly details you have Gormagon. This intriges me.

Comment

this discussion makes me crazy.

Not even close to HFR level.
                            HFR?

and they do have nanites but they are not anything uber.
                            heavily depends on the kind of nanite. you see, i've been reading up on Orion's arm (a way-too-long wiki walk), and i'm quite confident that basic nanite technology can be fought and destroyed with relative ease. Stargate however, generates new kinds of nanites. and with stuff like Trinium and Naquahdah, several defence options go out of the window.

furthermore, there are simple and complex nanites. the simplest are basically a kind of enzyme. the more advanced can propel themselves.

i really do not expect killer nanoswarms from a race basically beginning to understand it.

still, i think that the time is not ripe for Nanotech, and that it has a sufficient range of faces, capabilities and story-generators to be in it's own fleet.

i'm a big fan of Crysis 2, and how it handled Nanotech. it does not HAVE to be uber. we simply have to control ourselves and ask ourselves "is this realistic in this fleet".

Comment

on a sidenote:

could we make the JPA a corporate-ruled faction? just a thought i had, would give some variety

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                                Anyhow I too wonder what exactly details you have Gormagon. This intriges me.
                                Like the new Avatar btw.

Yes please
                                Houjin nanite technology.
                                Well, Houjin nano bots are originally linked to their bio-science, nanites were first envisioned as medical devices. During development other uses cropped up, I.E as a weapon or for constructing and/or repairing parts of delicate/hard to reach devices and systems.

The Houjin did in fact weaponize them with a fair amount of success. However, the nanite weapons proved easier to defeat then certain viral strains that contaminated the parts of the population at the time or were in cold storage ready to be weaponized. How? E.M.P or simply hacking into a nanites software. The nanites were also very expensive to produce compared to other weapons, such as a N bomb, well being less powerful. So the Houjin put nanite weapons on a shelf.

However, nanites themselves are still quite useful in other areas, the Houjin use them for healing and curing. Nanites are kept in Houjin facilities and aboard Houjin vessels to work as mini maintenance/repair men. In battle, they can not work fast enough to prevent all damage to a vessel but they can slow down critical system failure and speed up repairs outside of battle. They are susceptible to powerful E.M.P, so if nuclear devices are being used that may disable the nanites, which is why extra inactive nanites are kept in storage unless its an emergency. The nanites can also be destroyed by regular old weapons fire, unlike Ancient nanites which seem to ether channel DEW fire throughout the whole or shunt it into subspace or something.

HFR?
                                Human form Replicator.

Comment

Working...
                                X