No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually thinking 2030, gives 20 years to form a decent sized colony.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
      I'm actually thinking 2030, gives 20 years to form a decent sized colony.
      If we go this far, (which personally I'd perfer) would give ample time for splinter groups to also form and of those groups a gothic, or at best, a mytholodgical type of group that raid other colonies or the like at their whim.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

That's what I'm thinking, enough time for various colonies to form and build up a fleet of their own.

Comment

Well, it seems to me that the date of disclosure is rather important. You won't have large off-world colonies until either the Stargate or Hyperdrive technology is released to civilian corporations. As we've seen in the show, the military will make dozens of bases, but they aren't the least bit interested in creating colonies -- with the possible exception of the Alpha Site planet, which must have had some infrastructure in order to even consider it as a viable fall-back.

If we keep all of show canon, disclosure cannot have taken place in 2011, given season 1 of Stargate: Universe. To get rid of the Asgard tech using the Jotunar takes up another year, so 2012 isn't good either. After the Jotunar take the uber-tech, however, the Lucian Alliance jumps up the threat scale enormously. I can see disclosure taking place when we are forced to blow up a Lucan Alliance Ha'tak that made it into Earth orbit. This would (by my reckoning) be sometime in 2013.

After that, you have a small period of upheaval. Not too long; there's no real motivation for all-out war. A year at most. Then you start getting civilian companies establishing off-world contacts (possibly see some Hebridian companies setting up on Earth), and starting non-military space-flight. I imagine the Stargate would stay securely non-public, however.

Now you have at least five years before a viable, good sized colony can be set up. Assuming each of the original Stargate Treaty nations has a couple civilian companies offering spaceflights, and each of them is interested in starting an off-world colony, this means that we could have twelve fairly-sized colonies set up by 2019, by my count.

So 2020 might be a good place to start.
          Last edited by Lt. Col. Mcoy; 24 May 2010, 02:44 PM.
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Ok how does this meld with you all.
            2015 a fleet of 304's and 310's set out for a world recently discovered on a Ancient data base. It has a gate, but no dhd, so naturally we have to fly there. Scans from uav's etc, show it to be similiar to Earth, the reason for the fleet is to scout the planet close at hand, and begin settlement if possible, due to Earth's current political and enviromental conundrum. We spend a few of pages building up the colony, there are some battles with nieghboring planets, then a time lull....skip to 2025.
            My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
            sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

I think it'll take more than a few years to properly set up a fully functioning colony with it's on mining facility and shipbuilding facility.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                2015 a fleet of 304's and 310's set out for a world recently discovered on a Ancient data base. It has a gate, but no dhd, so naturally we have to fly there. Scans from uav's etc, show it to be similiar to Earth, the reason for the fleet is to scout the planet close at hand, and begin settlement if possible, due to Earth's current political and enviromental conundrum. We spend a few of pages building up the colony, there are some battles with nieghboring planets, then a time lull....skip to 2025.
                I agree with that. I'd like to see how we get to 2025, rather than just say we're there.

I think it'll take more than a few years to properly set up a fully functioning colony with it's on mining facility and shipbuilding facility.
                In Adelaide, Australia, they set up a fully functional shipyard to build naval destroyers in 18 months. I think with a large global input, it could be done using modular systems constructed on Earth and shipped via PJOZ's idea of fleet ships.

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

I like this boy^^^^ that sounds very doable

Comment

Mining facilities and shipyards? Yeah, that'll take a bit longer, but jackclone1 makes a good point about their construction time. But regardless, colonies don't need to have those to be decently sized and self-sufficient. And the Hebridians are our best bet for helping with infrastructure. I see intergalactic corporations as playing a big part in colonization; think GE and Tech Con working together.
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                      Mining facilities and shipyards? Yeah, that'll take a bit longer, but jackclone1 makes a good point about their construction time. But regardless, colonies don't need to have those to be decently sized and self-sufficient. And the Hebridians are our best bet for helping with infrastructure. I see intergalactic corporations as playing a big part in colonization; think GE and Tech Con working together.
                      Thanks man, btw call me Rick, that^^ is only the handle

2015 send out a military/civil fleet. PJ has a decent ship with his BB310, it's close to canon, and can hold a decent cargo/ passenger list. Build up starting with modules like on the Alpha and gamma bases, then go from there. Create a timeline for when you want to reach 2025.

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

Originally posted by jackclone1 View Post
                        I agree with that. I'd like to see how we get to 2025, rather than just say we're there.

In Adelaide, Australia, they set up a fully functional shipyard to build naval destroyers in 18 months. I think with a large global input, it could be done using modular systems constructed on Earth and shipped via PJOZ's idea of fleet ships.
                        I mentuioned a puzzle box type of construction, wherein containers or "Box Pieces" ten meters long, four meters wide and eight meters tall could be used in a varity of needs, from storage, to barracks to medical offices to a house! They'd be cheap to make (just as is with no add ons started at USD 1,200$)

Speaking of the Box Pieces, i've been tweaking them and set up now goes as follows.

Type: Container/transport/Box Piece
                        Length: 10 meters
                        Width: 4 meters
                        Hight: 8 meters
                        Power: magnetic coil power drive located in each container, power is continous and can run anything from small laptops all the way to (maybe) a stargate
                        Flyable: Yes, each container is airtight sealed for transport, each contain has its own slave rig ssystem to either attach to another craft, or jump when command through slave rig drive. After arrival slave rig computer is removed and the containers are used as needs arise.

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I can see Ford Motor Company, and Beijing Motors along with General Motors and Cryshler worknig on the ground transports for the offworld colonies

Comment

The only problem I can see there is by 2015 Chrysler will be lucky to survive. I think a most likely mix, would be GM/Daimler/Beijing/Ford and maybe on of the large Euro truck companies like Iveco or Volvo.

Comment

This was just a thought, but have a read of this and see if something in this vein could be done. It only died because no one had the input, but in a way it's similar to our aims here>

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...-Stargate-Epic
                              Interesting...

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              mmd!!!!
                              Lolz, whats up Killman.

Uh, yeah . . .

Maybe the clowns can fight the goths.
                              Haha

That sounds feasible, I would agree with PJ on the start time. And if you need a good writer, well he is the one I would pick. He's one of the most technically correct writers on the Forum, and he writes an insane action series.
                              I agree with the above >>^^<<

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                              I cannot agree to something like that PJoz, I would like to write a fleet in which Earth politics have never before been so hectic, a real dark universe with some sparks of hope.

And again to the idea of this Earth Alliance, I think of it more as the Dutch Republic, every city, gewest and all having thier own customs but also their own rights, not one nation, a rather loose confederacy. The main part in Earth politics would be Particularism, my country first mentality.

Also folowing recent politics I do not think most nation, especially European nations following the US blindly
                              Locutes has a very valid point. I think you guys might aught to look at a bit of what he's saying more closely. Maybe combine yall's inputs together concerning the political climate and stability that Earth would be in during the current time frame that this fleet would be taking place in, you know?

I wouldn't suggest following the US blindly, hell no. What I'm suggesting is a reveal, there is a dark period of unsettlement from nations normally opposed to any US/Allied alliances, they could even go their own way with the knowledge China has on the programme. But as time progresses, it would either be, unite together eventually or we all fail under the weight of hostile actions from within the Galaxy, and perhaps even Wraith incursions into the MW.

And Jack, thanks for the recommendation, but it's up to a consensus I think.
                              Following the US blindly would be foolhardy, which is what I'm going to focus on in my series fyi.

Well, it seems to me that the date of disclosure is rather important. You won't have large off-world colonies until either the Stargate or Hyperdrive technology is released to civilian corporations. As we've seen in the show, the military will make dozens of bases, but they aren't the least bit interested in creating colonies -- with the possible exception of the Alpha Site planet, which must have had some infrastructure in order to even consider it as a viable fall-back.

If we keep all of show canon, disclosure cannot have taken place in 2011, given season 1 of Stargate: Universe. To get rid of the Asgard tech using the Jotunar takes up another year, so 2012 isn't good either. After the Jotunar take the uber-tech, however, the Lucian Alliance jumps up the threat scale enormously. I can see disclosure taking place when we are forced to blow up a Lucan Alliance Ha'tak that made it into Earth orbit. This would (by my reckoning) be sometime in 2013.

After that, you have a small period of upheaval. Not too long; there's no real motivation for all-out war. A year at most. Then you start getting civilian companies establishing off-world contacts (possibly see some Hebridian companies setting up on Earth), and starting non-military space-flight. I imagine the Stargate would stay securely non-public, however.

Now you have at least five years before a viable, good sized colony can be set up. Assuming each of the original Stargate Treaty nations has a couple civilian companies offering spaceflights, and each of them is interested in starting an off-world colony, this means that we could have twelve fairly-sized colonies set up by 2019, by my count.

So 2020 might be a good place to start.

I would have to agree with Mcoy here that starting around 2020 would be a pretty decent time period for this fleet might take place.

I'd say the time frame between 2020-2025 is a reasonable period.

Both David and jackclone1 are correct. Let me explain.
                              Okay, it would take a while to set up a fully functional colony, however, with a massive globalization effort put forth in an effort to establish an immediate habitat for colonists would not take very long. In fact, if I'm correct, it would only take a year or two to get a rather sizeable colony rolling along decently. Now, concerning the creation of full-fledged cities and large population centers and so and so forth, would actually take a quite a bit of time because you have to factor in the following information:
                              a.) Resources and supplies to begin working on such a project. Because building cities takes time.
                              b.) Consumables and payment for workers. Where will we be getting the workers also in the first place? Of course you might have volunteers or actual engineers, construction crews and such, but it’d take an assload of a lot of people to start creating large sections of a cities one piece at a time. Now of course we must consider our advanced technology, but…
                              c.) What technologies do the workers and such have access to? Will the military be involved in using beaming technology to help transport things and create the city? So on and so forth…
                              d.) What is the population of the colony?
                              Need I say more?

Now, onto what jackclone1 said about the mining and shipyard facilities. This is a yes and no. Depending on the situations and such, the construction of these facilities can take very long. However! If Earth is trying to develop as many ships as it possibly can as fast as possible and such, then their going to clearly be put in a lot of effort to get these facilities up and running and producing materials and products. In WW2, when the US Navy was bombed by the Japanese, we lost almost our entire Pacific fleet. We also didn’t have many ships to ferry the millions of troops. So what did we do? We established shipyards quickly and efficiently and we BUILT’DEM ships like crazy all within approximately somewhere around two and half years.

And I also heard about that how Australia created that shipyard in 18 months. That’s pretty sick.
                              But like I said, you got to factor in the advanced technologies that we possess and what we are able to use to make the construction of products/technologies/materials much quicker and efficiently.

I strongly agree here. Galactic corporations and trade companies should be rather prevalent in my opinion.
                              sigpic
                              You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The only problem I can see there is by 2015 Chrysler will be lucky to survive. I think a most likely mix, would be GM/Daimler/Beijing/Ford and maybe on of the large Euro truck companies like Iveco or Volvo.
                                At least I thought of all major car companies I knew of, Beijing Motor Works is more miltary based transport, along with buses and the like then normal cars and trucks. my own truck is a Ford make. (last I recall Ford owns Volovo, and when i mentioned Ford I include Volovo automatically )

Good point though, it is possibly that by 2015 in real life that Cryshler doesn't make it

Comment

Working...
                                X