Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
    Sorry but the houjin are really starting to fall apart historically now. Cant you just put the actual Japanese in space!? Not just some Orientalist western version of them.
    I was afraid of that happening. I have been meaning to do some research into real Japanese history to help me build my article but have been too busy of late. I have never been good with time lines and dates anyway. I can remember conversations I had when I was three, but ask me my birthday or my cell number and I have to think.

I can adjust it easily. Since they are no longer technologically 800 years ahead of the Tau'ri,(I wanted them on par with the Tollan originally, and we have been adjusting the centuries thing anyway.) I can say they were transplanted around the time of the Samurai forming. Easy fix. Much easier then readjusting the entire military and such. (As long as they get to keep the tech they have currently.)

As far as internal strife go's, they had plenty in the early years,(Not anymore.) then they had to deal with the Kaizoku Karuteru. Actually they still do.

So here is what I was thinking, the people were transplanted 750 A.D-800 A.D when the Samurai idea had taken root, and it developed on Arata Seken.(The Houjin home world.) The Ninja we could say, developed on the new world as a form of parallel culture stuff, things. It was a role that needed filling. Kind of like how every culture on earth used spear like weapons at some point.

This would be the best time area to so it, because this allows 100 years for the alien race to teach/guide them and for them to settle in,(The alien race had ready made Japanese cities for them and such, they were not dropped in the cold.) 150 years of internal strife and vicious wars, then a reformation in 1000 A.D, and that government is still in power today (A thousand years later.) then, from 1000 A.D onward they rigorously advanced, by 1350 they were settling their home system with sublight ships, and then they started expanding in 1450 when they developed hyperdrive. Then a 50 year major conflict with the KK. Having been warned of the Goa'uld by the alien race that brought them to Arata Seken through a message in the chamber they left behind, they have been building forces for protection against them and eventually and offensive campaign for around 550-600 years, since 1400-1450 A.D. Suffering minimal losses for centuries, they had a very sizable force at their disposal. After the Replicator attack, they managed to recover many vessels, but they did lose 10s of 1000s of personal. The demise of the Goa'ud led to them taking a breath, so to speak, as far as advancement go's. They are currently focusing on internal matters, completely stabilizing their civilization, and well they are aware of of LA, they do not plan to strike yet as they are gathering information.

It fits pretty much perfectly. I love it! Dont pop my bubble!!!!

Lt. Col.....
    Spoiler:

Good. Heaven. I'd forgotten you weren't a Christian.

L.O.L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a christian, I believe in Christ as the savior, but there are certain things taught by the mainstream "big boy" church's that are just plain not Biblical, and I can show that from the scriptures.
    The Trinity
    Hell fire
    Immortality of the soul
    Infant baptism
    Jesus dying on a cross
    Praying to saints
    Use of images in worship
    Apostolic succession

Sorry dude but their is some of it. Not sure how to sugar coat it.

Tell you what, hows about I open a thread where you and others who are curious can quiz me on Biblical Doctrine and Exegesis. Your thread went downhill so fast I abstained from posting in it, but maybe I can keep a new one afloat. I really feel that there's quite a lot of stuff you need to be instructed on.
    Ok. You could do that. I think you shall be surprised though. Make sure you specify its not a debate about weather the Bible is accurate or creation or evolution is true. And specify to ignore any trolls.

Better idea, join this group I made that is safe from the....people.
    Last edited by Gormagon; 14 October 2011, 07:57 AM.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      dropships or transports or gunships?

technically the thing we voted through was more of a Dropship with guns than a true gunship. and i really had more need for a gunship than a dropship.
      I am thinking all of the above, only not able ot travel in space whatsoever, the cockpit is a sealed space, so if a planet has a hostile or deadly atmosphere, the gunship/transport can travel safely in the air of said planet without worry

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        I am thinking all of the above, only not able ot travel in space whatsoever, the cockpit is a sealed space, so if a planet has a hostile or deadly atmosphere, the gunship/transport can travel safely in the air of said planet without worry
        *Cough*Pandora*Cough*Avatar*Cough*
        *Takes a Halls.*

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
          *Cough*Pandora*Cough*Avatar*Cough*
          *Takes a Halls.*
          I was actually thinking a Death World or Hive World wherein the planet itself is out to get you, also, Pandora is a moon, not a actual planet

You're going ot need a lot of those I think....

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
            I was actually thinking a Death World or Hive World wherein the planet itself is out to get you, also, Pandora is a moon, not a actual planet
            Thank you reminding me.

You're going ot need a lot of those I think....
            L.O.L

Comment

Naquadah powered electric helicopters would be the best I think. You could strip a modified Chinnok and ship it through a Stargate. Either that or modified heavy lift Ospreys.

Comment

Naquadah powered electric helicopters would be the best I think. You could strip a modified Chinnok and ship it through a Stargate. Either that or modified heavy lift Ospreys.
                overkill. a naquadah-trinium alloy turbine would allow unsurpassed efficiency and power.

you see, the efficiency of a turbine is linked to the maximum temperature present. the maximum temperature is linked to the materials used. since naquahdah has unsurpassed heat resistance, naquahdah-coated trinium fans would easily up turbine efficiency to some 80-90% as opposed to like 30% or so currently. (most efficient so far is one of about 50-60 percent)

Comment

overkill. a naquadah-trinium alloy turbine would allow unsurpassed efficiency and power.

you see, the efficiency of a turbine is linked to the maximum temperature present. the maximum temperature is linked to the materials used. since naquahdah has unsurpassed heat resistance, naquahdah-coated trinium fans would easily up turbine efficiency to some 80-90% as opposed to like 30% or so currently. (most efficient so far is one of about 50-60 percent)
                  You missed the point. The idea is to run your helicopters without needing fuel. A small reactor (like what powers a Tel'tak) or some kind of battery system perhaps something akin to what Destiny uses let's you use high efficiency electric motors to drive the rotors or props. The added benefit is that the craft will still work in atmospheres that a gas turbine might not be able to breathe in.

Besides which, where it is viable I'd think we'd be moving away from engines that spew out pollutants wherever possible. A cargo runner operating on planet doesn't need hardcore military specs. It doesn't have to be fast, it just has to be reliable and lift a lot.

Comment

How about fusion? It seems like a waste of naquadah to me to use it in helicopters. Although I bet a staff weapon sized vial would run one for centuries. But they are so delicate, one stinger missile and your done. I think some fusion cells or energy batteries charged from fusion reactors would be better.

Comment

The idea is to run your helicopters without needing fuel.
                      mmm yes. in that case i'd use some high grade energy storage system like shields etc use.

Besides which, where it is viable I'd think we'd be moving away from engines that spew out pollutants wherever possible
                      such systems exist because they're efficient in terms of size/power ratio. batteries are still damn heavy. without a turbine, Aviation would still be stuck at the propeller stage.

How about fusion? It seems like a waste of naquadah to me to use it in helicopters. Although I bet a staff weapon sized vial would run one for centuries. But they are so delicate, one stinger missile and your done. I think some fusion cells or energy batteries charged from fusion reactors would be better.
                      fusion cells? what?

fusion requires quite a reactor to function. unless this is a spaceship we're talking about, some kind of transport craft simply can't hold one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                        Lt. Col.....
                        Spoiler:

L.O.L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I am a christian, I believe in Christ as the savior, but there are certain things taught by the mainstream "big boy" church's that are just plain not Biblical, and I can show that from the scriptures.
                        The Trinity
                        Hell fire
                        Immortality of the soul
                        Infant baptism
                        Jesus dying on a cross
                        Praying to saints
                        Use of images in worship
                        Apostolic succession

Sorry dude but their is some of it. Not sure how to sugar coat it.

Ok. You could do that. I think you shall be surprised though. Make sure you specify its not a debate about weather the Bible is accurate or creation or evolution is true. And specify to ignore any trolls.

Better idea, join this group I made that is safe from the....people.
                        Spoiler:
                        You're a JW, and sadly, I'm afraid, that makes you not a Christian. As, ironically, your first two points show:
                        The Trinity
                        Hell fire
                        These are historical, Biblical teachings. To deny them and call yourself a Christian is completely disingenuous. I could also add a corollary of the denial of the Deity of Christ (more specifically, the heresy -- and I use that word in a technical sense, not a demeaning one -- of Polytheism).

Immortality of the soul
                        Not sure how you're even coming against that one. You're definitely wrong, I'd say.
                        Infant baptism
                        This is not a central Church teaching. I happen to believe it does have scriptural support -- but I also happen to believe it's not an issue that actually matters.
                        Jesus dying on a cross
                        I'm not even sure why you'd want to argue this point -- it seems silly, and almost petty. He certainly did, though, from all we can tell.
                        Use of images in worship
                        Not sure exactly what you mean by this. In one sense, I certainly agree, being a Protestant, but I'm not sure how far you think you're taking this ... or why you think this differentiates you from conservative Protestant Churches.
                        Praying to saints
                        Apostolic succession
                        Barkin' up the wrong tree, here. I'm no Catholic. Fully aware that these aren't biblical.

Anyhow, if you want, just post any challenges you have for me on that group of yours (addressed to me, if you can). I'd certainly be willing to lay out some basic Christian doctrine for y'all.
                        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

GOR:

i don't see why you keep on insisting they had minimal losses. ultimately, the goauld would focus down Houjin ships. in stead of a 20 versus 20, it would be 20 ships firing on 1 houjin ship. and i simply do not believe a Houjin ship would be able to to take the Focus Fire of a goauld attacking fleet.

Comment

mmm yes. in that case i'd use some high grade energy storage system like shields etc use.
                            In a world where naquadah isn't easy to come by this would be preferable. What are the Atlantis puddle jumpers powered by?

Comment

GOR:

i don't see why you keep on insisting they had minimal losses. ultimately, the goauld would focus down Houjin ships. in stead of a 20 versus 20, it would be 20 ships firing on 1 houjin ship. and i simply do not believe a Houjin ship would be able to to take the Focus Fire of a goauld attacking fleet.
                              Yes, but the Houjin can do the same, and their raw firepower is initially greater then a Ha'taks.

And with their long range strike capability in missiles, they could obliterate or at least heavily damage the Ha'taks before they even got into blast cannon range.

Comparative minimal losses, currently I have it that they never had a major assault from the Goa'uld, just scouting teams, small groups of ships from the small handful of Goa'uld who knew about them. The Goa'uld ships never came back, and the Houjin did not directly threaten them. They left the hornets nest alone. So the Goa'uld felt it more important to fight with each other, as other Goa'ulds were closer and much bigger threats in their minds.

Remember, Replicators want to take over, not destroy, besides personal the war with the Replicators did not much damage to them. The Dakara device wiped out the Replicators before they could consume so much of Houjin raw materials in spaceships and buildings so as to set them back very far. They reclaimed around 8/10 ships in the battle with the Replicators.

Helicopters.
                              Perhaps it was hydrogen cells I was thinking of, or whatever you want to call them.

Lt. Col.
                              Spoiler:

Ok Mr Lt. Col. I set up a discussion section for you and me in the group, check it out.

In a world where naquadah isn't easy to come by this would be preferable. What are the Atlantis puddle jumpers powered by?
                              Rechargeable crystal based energy storage cells I think, like that little one in Merlins device but bigger. Or, a cold fusion power unit, like the DHD's. More likely the former, as in the Tower that steward guy stated that the ships had run out of power a long time ago.
                              Last edited by Gormagon; 14 October 2011, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Going off of this....

I'll do this as a list
                                1. Imagine a basic helicopter, maybe a Bell 429 for total exmaple strip it down to bare metal paintwise and remove all glass, basically you have a unpainted frame with seats and controls. Doors have also been removed.
                                2. Remove the rotors, the rear balance rotor is replaced by feets similar to a prop plane.
                                3. Over the top of the main cabin are two arms, they are the same hight as the original rotors. the blade mechinisem is from the old rotor connection.
                                4. There are two sets of two fans of three blades per fan If these are made of Naquadah, it is possible that a Naquadah/Trinium alloy mixture could not only strength and enhance the durablity but also reduce friction in the blades and bears and etc. This enabling the craft to last longer.
                                Feul system I never really thought on, other then using basic grade fuel for a helicopter type craft, OR magnetical energy systems. I have the specs somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X