No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Cough* Technology*Cough*.Still too subtle? I would rather not explain more or it will completely ruin the surprise.
    they're slaves to their own technology?

Comment

No...well...*sigh*...I cannot explain without ruining it!
      sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

what? if you can alter one's personality, there is no more free will. your houjin are thus a slave to their own technology.

Comment

Free will is important to the Houjin except when it interferes with higher goals and principles.

It is not exactly personality altering. Well, it is. But not like that. It..allows one a chance to..alter their own personality. If you keep pushing I mine as well tell the whole thing.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

whatever it is, it's brainwashing. and that means no free will. plus it allows for 100x more evil things than it prevents, as whoever programmed it might've implemented alterior motives

Comment

Except if they do not have alterior motives. Not everyone is bad. Look at the Asgard. We are not talking about political people or overlords that have the top secret device at their disposal, these guys are holy monks who have the original writings of the alien race that brought them their with them.

And it is not brainwashing, not like Goa'uld brainwashing. It is different..if you knew exactly what I had in mind you would understand. Besides, if the process fails which happens sometimes the corrupted/mentally sick person who should not be in power is dismissed and possibly exiled.

Comment

Yeah but even the Asgard had Loki, also what determines who should have this kind of power?
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

No...well...*sigh*...I cannot explain without ruining it!
                  Dont explain it! Learn from what I said! Stop explaining everything. Its just not needed!

whatever it is, it's brainwashing. and that means no free will. plus it allows for 100x more evil things than it prevents, as whoever programmed it might've implemented alterior motives
                  Anyone with even a remote understanding of modern media consumption, including stargate will know we are all brainwashed and conditioned to a certain degree. Its the shade of grey between good and evil that makes the best storylines. Frankly I see this as a great potential storyline.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

you'd just make the problem vaguer. the corruption would be slower and more thorough.

Anyone with even a remote understanding of modern media consumption, including stargate will know we are all brainwashed and conditioned to a certain degree. Its the shade of grey between good and evil that makes the best storylines. Frankly I see this as a great potential storyline.
                    there's a difference between indoctrination and plain brainwashing.

story device, yes, but it's definitely not the sunshine and rainbows Gor makes it out to be. humans are imperfect so there will always be corruption unless you genetically alter yourself to no longer have it, but it will have repercussions.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      what? if you can alter one's personality, there is no more free will. your houjin are thus a slave to their own technology.
                      Without getting into the semantics of free will, that's not necessarily the case, the Tka have had the tech for a long time now, they use it regularly, all we learn and experience will indoctrinate us to some degree, this simply allows a much more precise and speedy alteration.
                      This is really rooted in transhumanism and the singularity and exponential advancement, but long story short as capabilities shift so do expectations, so we can't really judge.

Gor's guys on the other hand... iffy. No way that sort of system wills stay stable for long. It's a lot like communism: great theory, pathetic practice.

Comment

I do not know how long it will last. All I know is that it has currently been around for a thousand years.

I do not why it would currently destabilize. The general populous is happy, so are the people that visit the temple at Kokoro, the system is leading them into prosperity. They do not want nor do they need too change.

Loki was not evil.

also what determines who should have this kind of power?
                        It was originally determined by the alien race, the Kokoro monks, who now have the device, they determine who it is used on.

No system we can develop will be perfect.

I was thinking what might help is me getting some more story posted. I will be getting to that.
                        Last edited by Gormagon; 08 October 2011, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                          Loki was not evil.
                          We can't possibly be talking about the same Loki here ...
                          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

He was not evil. Goa'uld are evil. Loki was desperate. He was trying to save his race from extinction. He never hurt anyone, he did what he thought was right, what was necessary. I like Loki.

Comment

Sure, sure, he never hurt anyone, no sir, not even all those clones he let die horribly ...
                              sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                                Sure, sure, he never hurt anyone, no sir, not even all those clones he let die horribly ...
                                *bottles some of that high quality sarcasm for use at a later date*

Comment

Working...
                                X