No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But the cloaks are not as advanced as Goa'uld cloaks, I think the Goa'uld got their cloaking from Ancient technology personally.
    doesn't make them different from known cloaks. any cloak can cloak for as long as it doesn't emit something either the cloak can not handle or the enemy can pick up. i don't know what the Superhive picked up about the cloaked jumper. but it emitted SOMETHING.

How about a big version of the little ones? Although I remember something about some engineering paper I read about larger reactors...cannot remember specifics though.
    from what i know of reactors, it's a miracle we could make a naquahdah generator. in real life, it would've been subject to years of prototyping, refining and testing to make sure a stray plasma bolt or a plasma bolt in just the right spot would not make it blow up.

you have no clue what sort of stuff they dump in aircraft engines before they're allowed to be mounted on a plane. almost extraterrestrial hailstorms, enough water to simulate a dive into the ocean, even birds (not live ones tho).

But why does no one acknowledge the potential advantages of H.L.N?
    because we don't know if it has advantages. the only reference ever i can remember is that it was needed for the AG-3 sattelites.

Why?
    because you kind of fail when your reading is off the chart.

I am confused, half the time you guys say "industrial capacity" the other half you want me to deplete the forces, and decrease numbers.
    because industrial capacity means production power, whereas depleting your fleet means it was largely destroyed or out of order.

your race would easily have a good production technology and because of it, mass-producing ships can happen on a scale almost rare to stargate. it is also exactly why i don't want them to be Goauld level, because nobody in the galaxy would be able to beat that.

you see, we kind of took the Asgard and the Ancients and the Wraith as the role models, but in terms of technology, even the Goauld should be out of our league. the goauld are 5000 years ahead of us. the ancients add at least 3 zeroes to that number.

the Wraith are twice as old and a hundred times more powerful. the asgard's age, i don't know, but at least 100 000 years so they are FAR ahead of us. the galaxy right now is filled with people who know a bit about goauld tech but it'll take time, whereas you were giving your race it instantly.

now a lenghty war with the goauld, hell even a short war with the goauld would've been devastating for anyone. it would be interesing if the Houjin were nearing a defeat, and kind of were expecting the final blow, and it never came

yet you have also said they could outproduce and out tech the Goa'uld. If they out tech the Goa'uld, whats wrong with hyperdrives on probes, cloaks or H.L.N?
    sigh, hyperdrives on probes would be noticeable.

nothing's wrong with cloaks. i'm just saying you're making them operate just as any cloak while you're saying they work different.

HLN is something never proven to be more powerful. it was introduced in a dream episode. plus, even if your race had many many years, look at where Earth is in terms of understanding the universe. we don't know all applications of all materials. i consider it unlikely the Houjin would unravel all secrets of Naquahdah in just that time. realistically, perhaps, but tech progress in Stargate has never been that, and it would just raise questions.

That is what I mean yes, and how long it can be sustained as well.

F=Q*V.
    (impulse = matter stream * speed)
    ([N]=[Kg/s] * [m/s])

what this means is that if you expel matter from one end of your craft at a certain speed, your ship has a force acting upon it. this can be noticed by letting a balloon go.

if you know the mass of your ship, the amount of fuel it has, the efficiency of the reactor, the amount of rocket fuel expelled, the additional thrust from burning it, and about a dozen other factors, you can calculate it.
    Last edited by thekillman; 04 October 2011, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      even birds (not live ones tho).
      'Cuz of, you kno, people's sensibilities.

(Green to whoever gets the reference.)

Comment

do enlighten me

Comment

i'm officially hooked on Terra Nova.

Comment

doesn't make them different from known cloaks. any cloak can cloak for as long as it doesn't emit something either the cloak can not handle or the enemy can pick up. i don't know what the Superhive picked up about the cloaked jumper. but it emitted SOMETHING.
            Ok, then lets call it a cloak even though it is less sophisticated then Goa'uld/Ancient cloaking technology.

I do not..we do not know how Stargate sensors and cloaks actually work, but the active sensor signals from the Wraith hive may have been powerful enough to "break" through the Jumpers cloaking field.

from what i know of reactors, it's a miracle we could make a naquahdah generator. in real life, it would've been subject to years of prototyping, refining and testing to make sure a stray plasma bolt or a plasma bolt in just the right spot would not make it blow up.
            True. But this is Scifi. And it is already a major part of the Stargate cannon.

you have no clue what sort of stuff they dump in aircraft engines before they're allowed to be mounted on a plane. almost extraterrestrial hailstorms, enough water to simulate a dive into the ocean, even birds (not live ones tho).
            I know some of the tests. Mostly the ones you described.

because we don't know if it has advantages. the only reference ever i can remember is that it was needed for the AG-3 sattelites. it was introduced in a dream episode
            Stargate wiki is full of them, as well as many other sites online and previous fleets. Since liquid naquadah does exist in Stargate, as well as naquadria, which is both natural and artificial. And Olesian ore. I see no reason why other isotopes cannot exist. Ra'kot for example, a material used by the Shrin'yar as far as I know. Adarite.

It is my firm belief that will never change that H.L.N exists. The dream world was partially based on reality, I think the AG-3 satellites were just the stuff of dreams, the Harsisus, Shefu, who had the knowledge of the Goa'uld in his subconscious. Why he have made up such a substance if it was just for a dream? Why not just say liquid naquadah? Why heavy? I think that meant it was important. I think it exists.

And it cannot hurt to have a variety. I like variety. I really do.

because you kind of fail when your reading is off the chart.

because industrial capacity means production power, whereas depleting your fleet means it was largely destroyed or out of order.
            If they can rebuild quickly then I see no point in destroying the fleet in the first place. If this 4.0 fleet takes place in the future and they can rebuild over the years........

I will write the battle with the Replicators, that was the most devastating, quickly loosing war they have had. But since the Replicators do not destroy, at least not immediately, they reclaimed much of the fleet and repaired the ships. So at some point I will write in other battles.

your race would easily have a good production technology and because of it, mass-producing ships can happen on a scale almost rare to stargate. it is also exactly why i don't want them to be Goauld level, because nobody in the galaxy would be able to beat that.
            Which is why I am trying to lower them, like with the cloak. Its not my fault you keep saying its the same technology. But what exactly is Goa'uld level? This is why I wanted to make a technological scale.

the goauld are 5000 years ahead of us. the ancients add at least 3 zeroes to that number.
            Try 500 years in terms of military technology. I read that somewhere. I never liked it ether since they have had space ships since 8500 B.C. But consider, they are parasitic, and if they decimated every race in the galaxy that could not fight them off and then stole those races technologies, they hit a dead end at some point. Non or only little bits of new technologies and knowledge available. They also most likely stopped expanding around 2000 years ago, and started infighting more then expanding.

the Wraith are twice as old and a hundred times more powerful. the asgard's age, i don't know, but at least 100 000 years so they are FAR ahead of us. the galaxy right now is filled with people who know a bit about goauld tech but it'll take time, whereas you were giving your race it instantly.
            Wraith hibernate for centuries. The focus of Wraith culture is culling. Not scientific advancement.

And the Ancients predate the Wraith. By a lot. The Wraith only formed when the Ancients seeded Pegasus, which was long after settling in the MW.

now a lenghty war with the goauld, hell even a short war with the goauld would've been devastating for anyone. it would be interesing if the Houjin were nearing a defeat, and kind of were expecting the final blow, and it never came
            Right now in my notebooks they never had one. Only brief skirmishes. They neared defeat from the Replicators.

sigh, hyperdrives on probes would be noticeable.
            *Sigh* Not if they were powered down.
            And even if, that is were probe dropping modified Gunboat class ships could come in.

nothing's wrong with cloaks. i'm just saying you're making them operate just as any cloak while you're saying they work different.
            Less sophisticated, you want them lower then the Goa'uld. I would have given them = cloaking.

HLN is something never proven to be more powerful.
            Then why would it have been mentioned or used? Besides the fact that again, water. Heavy water. It makes sense that heavy liquid naquadah would be more potent then standard naquadah or regular liquid naquadah.

plus, even if your race had many many years, look at where Earth is in terms of understanding the universe. we don't know all applications of all materials. i consider it unlikely the Houjin would unravel all secrets of Naquahdah in just that time.
            That is my point. The Houjin are centuries ahead of us, and look how fast our tech is advancing. I am not saying they have unraveled all the secrets, just two. L.N and H.L.N. The Ancients probably did figure out everything about it. Like you yourself said, there are unknown applications for currently known elements. Meaning plenty of further applications for naquadah.

So that could further support the possibility of other isotopes of naquadah

With the Typhon idea, I was thinking that Typhon was once a powerful system Lord and his queen was Ecidna, they had a long war with the Goa'uld system Lord Zeus, and Zeus used a massive asteroid to try and destroy Typhons home base.

Ecidna was a bio-engineer, trying to create a more powerful foot soldier race or host species at the behest of Typhon, linking them to the Ecidna giving birth to various monsters mythology.

Or, those monsters were actually technological creations. Devices. Weapons.

Also-
            Golden fleece-Sarcophagus or other medical technology.
            Cronus's sickle- Some sort of weapon system.
            Aegis-Ancient, Asgard or Adnihilo shield system.
            Zeus's master bolt- Anubis arc weapon(Adnihilo)
            Hades helm of darkness- Cloaking system designed with a secondary effect, the ability to project fear into humanoid minds. (Adnihilo.)
            Last edited by Gormagon; 05 October 2011, 02:22 PM.
            sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
              Awinita, not to put too fine a point in it, do your own research. It seems every time you pop in it's to ask something about your latest 40K thing, if you want to know how to calculate max acceleration for a space ship, google it.
              Silly thing that the ship is actually not for Warhammer....

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Oh, dare I ask, what is this cube you speak of?

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

do enlighten me
                  i'm officially hooked on Terra Nova.
                  1270693145305.jpg

... really?

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                    Oh, dare I ask, what is this cube you speak of?
                    Are you steady in Spark....

The Cube, simple, known simply by those that seek it as the.......
                    Spoiler:
                    All Spark

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32273[/ATTACH]

... really?
                      I love that pic, its awesome, but you cannot use it too often other wise it will lose its charm, and that would be a crime.

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                      Are you steady in Spark....

The Cube, simple, known simply by those that seek it as the.......
                      Spoiler:
                      All Spark
                      So now were are including the transformers universe?

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                        So now were are including the transformers universe?
                        Not that I know of, it is just sometyhing I referanced to a timeframe of when Atlantis was left by the Ancients when they came to Earth from Pegasus 10,000 years ago. around the time the Cube came to Earth, "Carbon dating stated that the item has been on earth for ten thousand years." {as of 2007 at least}

Now, if we did include the Cybertronians, well, they'd already be on Earth by now.... or not, or whatever, as far as I know, we can not include them to not imped too much into other fandoms and stick with Stargate. I just used the Allspark's arrival to Earth as an example on time is all.

Comment

Guys I'm asking a question that's not related to any of the last perhaps one hundred posts. I'm recalling that some gwvf 4.0 users have discussed using a particle beam composed of neutrons for their vessel to attack the enemies with. I'm wondering how shooting neutrons at an enemy vessel or enemy installation would damage it since neutrons have no charge at all. Please keep in mind that I'm much more skilled at history and the social sciences than I am at the natural sciences/engineering, so that while some of you know the asnwer quite easily, I don't. Thanks.
                          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

True. But this is Scifi. And it is already a major part of the Stargate cannon.
                            sci fi is not an excuse for sloppy writing. sci fi is what COULD be possible through a few tweaks of reality. Sci Fi turned out to be Sci Real on multiple occasions. one sci fi writer got checked by the CIA because he depicted nuclear bombs so accurately they thought he knew of the Manhattan Project. (at the time it was a total secret).

no matter what you thought of the Na'vi, Avatar was pretty realistic.

Stargate wiki is full of them
                            you mean that aweful stargate wiki with everything even remotely stargate dumped in?

including the non-canon books and the non-canon RPGs?

If they can rebuild quickly then I see no point in destroying the fleet in the first place. If this 4.0 fleet takes place in the future and they can rebuild over the years........
                            i think money will be kind of a problem. your planet would be pretty much bankrupt by then.

They also most likely stopped expanding around 2000 years ago, and started infighting more then expanding.
                            nah that's not important. what's important is that they barely invested in R&D. and we know from Nirrti that any new tech has to be shared with the System Lords. and this is exactly why nobody did major research, or kept it for themselves and waited till they had sufficient power.

plus they barely cared for war. i think Nerus, that was his name i believe (the fat goauld from Beachhead) kind of depicts what the Goauld are. they care for self-pleasing and don't give a damn about the rest. and whenever someone's annoying, you kill them.

Wraith hibernate for centuries. The focus of Wraith culture is culling. Not scientific advancement.
                            i think the "they defeated the ancient" part was the focus. not the 10 000 years they did practically nothing. they defeated the ancients SOMEHOW. it must've been through tech and numbers, because without tech they'd get mass-annihilated by a single drone.

Then why would it have been mentioned or used? Besides the fact that again, water. Heavy water. It makes sense that heavy liquid naquadah would be more potent then standard naquadah or regular liquid naquadah.
                            greater power is not the reason you choose a powersource. it likely was necessary for the energy weapon, not the powersource. remember that the energy weapon was the first ever weapon that only harmed living things.

So that could further support the possibility of other isotopes of naquadah
                            don't be silly, of course there are more isotopes. but, you know, it's very likely you won't notice it in a reactor or a nuke.

Also-
                            i think the alternate history is enough as it is.

I'm wondering how shooting neutrons at an enemy vessel or enemy installation would damage it since neutrons have no charge at all.

Neutrons do react. electromagnetism is only one force. the Strong Force is another. yes, neutrons interact, not as often as charged particles though. the advantage is simply that you can't redirect the beam and the neutron beam will penetrate much further.

plus neutrons react with neutron-rich material, for example Water. thus, the humans inside would be fcked

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32273[/ATTACH]

... really?
                            '

tom, you're getting old. that clearly is the newspaper from last week.

Spoiler:
                            XD

Comment

tom, you're getting old. that clearly is the newspaper from last week.

Spoiler:
                              XD
                              You think he could update the date ?

Comment

i don't know. he shouldn't read old news papers. because then they're olds papers, not news papers

Comment

Working...
                                X