Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immhotep:

i can explain better.

i was at the funeral of my oldest brother's mother-in-law (died way too young, my own mother is much older)

anyway as i was sitting on a bench awaiting the funeral session, i kind of realized the beauty of religion, or less specific, spirituality. the idea that when all else fails, when life is most horrible, when you're surrounded by the darkest darkness, you can always call for that man up there, always patient, always listening. a person, in whatever way shape or form, man or woman, regardless, will be there for you. in your mind perhaps, but that doesn't make it more or less real for you. when a person dies, that person does not truely cease to exist until the last person forgets him. because for as long as the dead person lives in one man's head, he exists to some extent. has influence. you remember him by what he was and could have been, and it's influencing you just by thinking about it.

and that kind of wonder crept onto me as i read that story, as in humanity's darkest hour we look to the closest thing a god, and when the most rock-solid belief in hope begins to fade, that god-like entity is there for us.

Comment

Im not a religious person but I think that was a really touching story, and yes in that context I would say the Halen and the Ascended would in many ways provide that form of comfort for humanity in the future. We never really touched on religion in the fleets, but I can imagine that the Ascended have a role to play in it somehow. That in the fleetverse they now might be people you have met, or spoken to, to a human in that sitution it would provide me with comfort in the darkest times. And that humans can actually ascend and find higher purpose without being highly evolved would certainly give a validity to a religious lifestyle beyond those we can experience conventionally.
      sigpic
      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
      Stargate : Genesis |
      Original Starship DesignThread
      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        Immhotep:

i can explain better.

i was at the funeral of my oldest brother's mother-in-law (died way too young, my own mother is much older)

anyway as i was sitting on a bench awaiting the funeral session, i kind of realized the beauty of religion, or less specific, spirituality. the idea that when all else fails, when life is most horrible, when you're surrounded by the darkest darkness, you can always call for that man up there, always patient, always listening. a person, in whatever way shape or form, man or woman, regardless, will be there for you. in your mind perhaps, but that doesn't make it more or less real for you. when a person dies, that person does not truely cease to exist until the last person forgets him. because for as long as the dead person lives in one man's head, he exists to some extent. has influence. you remember him by what he was and could have been, and it's influencing you just by thinking about it.

and that kind of wonder crept onto me as i read that story, as in humanity's darkest hour we look to the closest thing a god, and when the most rock-solid belief in hope begins to fade, that god-like entity is there for us.
        I just lost my Great grandmother and grandfather, they were 2 of 3 good relatives we have besides immediate family. (The rest are drink like fishes smoke like chimneys/drugs/in jail/nuts/psycho/Perverted or all of them.) I can tell you, with out believing that there is something more out there, wow....I mean...what would be the point? I can see why people would turn away from religion, with all the crap it has caused/says/done, Crusades, torture in old days, and " It was gods will that it happened" with deaths or natural disasters and such. God dose not cause those things... But Humans need some sort of hope for the future. I like Revelation 21:4-And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry or pain be anymore, the former things have passed away.

I also like this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_DKW...otation_541757
        sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Immhotep:

i can explain better.

I would just like to add that I think influence approaches zero asymptotically, given the butterfly effect.

There's also a nice debate about digital reconstruction and the Chinese Room thought experiment in there.

edit: Craaaaaaaaaapppp! *throws himself to the conversation's steering wheel to jerk it away from the topic of religion*

Let's keep it on the Off Topic section, it invariably leads to a derailment of the thread.

Comment

Actually, although a religious person, I agree with the Crazy man^ we should use messages and Pm for off topic stuff, or start a thread for it. There is an idea.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

I also agree. Religion is a topic best kept to another place and time, but I appreciate the nice comments about the eulogy
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              11000! green me

Comment

Im not a religious person but I think that was a really touching story, and yes in that context I would say the Halen and the Ascended would in many ways provide that form of comfort for humanity in the future. We never really touched on religion in the fleets, but I can imagine that the Ascended have a role to play in it somehow. That in the fleetverse they now might be people you have met, or spoken to, to a human in that sitution it would provide me with comfort in the darkest times. And that humans can actually ascend and find higher purpose without being highly evolved would certainly give a validity to a religious lifestyle beyond those we can experience conventionally.
                i believe God is evil and all that take the bible literally are morons. i don't express that on a daily basis tho.

it's not so much about religion as it is about the potential, and that potential is undeniable. i was raised religiously but the effect kind of faded. still, there is a great deal of wisdom in the bible, but also in the Koran, that is not to be forgotten or ignored. modern day society can still learn a great deal from it, and if i were World Ruler, i'd make it mandatory than everyone has read such a book at least once.

it is foolish to deny the power of religion, for we might needed in darkest of time. it is foolish to deny the power of science for we need it in every day.

to end this day with something different than that:

Gormagon, i'd say it's best if you take a week off from developing the Arata. i mean, no active development. i find it helps when i have story-related problems. it kind of removes "exitement bias". just as i force myself to wait at least 5 days after i watch a movie as my mind can easily figure out a way to incorporate it into Stargate. just some friendly advice. when the week passes, you probably will know what you want them to be at the core, their essence, and what you could do with it. plenty has been said, plenty has been suggested. let it unravel in your brain, let your mind process it.

i had a job at a local chicken farm. nothing special but hey, paid me nicely. i mastered the routine so i use like 70% of my brainpower during work on other things. including Stargate. and it's a far more natural process as you can't write it down and go cascade down one alley. some of the posts i wrote in response were completely structured on the spot, like the fleet outline. nothing of that was in my mind before it. sometimes creativity can't be forced.

so yea, let it rest for a moment.
                Last edited by thekillman; 07 September 2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

*Standby mode engaged*
                  Last edited by Gormagon; 07 September 2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Wow, I leave for a couple of days and look what you guys do

But I thought we weren't going to add any more races? Or did we let this one go

Also the way I look at religion is that's it's bad but faith is good. I just don't think because someone is religious means they should dictate what I can and can not do but if someone wished to practice their religion then its no concern of mine. But I really hope God has a great sense of humor because if no I'm going to hell
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

I hope my guys will be accepted into the fleets on some level...

I am taking a sort of break, but I have some stuff already thought of that I will add to the wiki today.

How do you guys feel about robots/androids?

Comment

i believe God is evil and all that take the bible literally are morons. i don't express that on a daily basis tho.
                        *tips hat*

I proudly take the label MORON and wear it as my hat (no, not the one I just tipped ... that's the other one known as JOCULAR ...). Glad to know people still care.

At this point, I'd just like to put in a good word for God. He is, after all, good, and all that ... by definition ...

And, well, that's that.

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                        I just don't think because someone is religious means they should dictate what I can and can not do
                        Of course not. Anyone who says otherwise is being perfectly ridiculous. Now, God might tell you what you ought and ought not do, but certainly no person should. And they certainly oughtn't attempt to dictate what you "can" do ... that's just silliness.
                        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

This was going to be a privet message to Lt. but his box was full. Again. So I had to put it here. For now mind you.

Spoiler:
                          Depends on what you mean as literally. For example, the "Seven days" of creation. People who believe that the Universe and the Earth were created in seven 24 hour days are probably stupid.

But the seven days actually means seven periods of time, seven stages of creation. The Bible does not say how long each "Day" actually was.

According to science, billions of years. I happen to agree with the evidence presented.

The Bible actually describes several accurate scientific factors, such as- Calling the Earth a sphere when many cultures thought the Earth was flat, and saying that "You (God) are hanging it apon nothing"-We know about gravity now.

King David said in Psalms that "you saw even the embryo of me".

It describes the water cycle, and says that man was formed out of the dust of the ground, we know that to be true. We are made of base elements.

God gave the Israelites health guidelines that other nations did not have. For example, the sick were to be quarantined away from the camp. This was when they dod not understand disease organisms.

Fecal and liquid waste matter was to be disposed of by digging a hole outside the camp and covering it over. Other nations had open sewers and through crap into the streets.

There were certain animals that the Isrealites were not supposed to eat. I.E Pigs. If not cooked properly, Pig meat is very dangerous.

God is not evil.

The stupidity of man and the influence of the Devil is to be blamed for much of the evil in the world.

Belief and religion cannot and should not be forced apon others. God gave Humans free will as to weather to obey him or not. It is our choice. He created us, he does know what is best for us. And he made the universe, he HAS THE POWA!!! He could have made us mindless robots, but he did not.

Just some food for thought.
                          Last edited by Gormagon; 07 September 2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                            This was going to be a privet message to Lt. but his box was full. Again. So I had to put it here. For now mind you.

Spoiler:
                            Depends on what you mean as literally. For example, the "Seven days" of creation. People who believe that the Universe and the Earth were created in seven 24 hour days are probably stupid.

But the seven days actually means seven periods of time, seven stages of creation. The Bible does not say how long each "Day" actually was.

According to science, billions of years. I happen to agree with the evidence presented.

The Bible actually describes several accurate scientific factors, such as- Calling the Earth a sphere when many cultures thought the Earth was flat, and saying that "You (God) are hanging it apon nothing"-We know about gravity now.

King David said in Psalms that "you saw even the embryo of me".

It describes the water cycle, and says that man was formed out of the dust of the ground, we know that to be true. We are made of base elements.

God gave the Israelites health guidelines that other nations did not have. For example, the sick were to be quarantined away from the camp. This was when they dod not understand disease organisms.

Fecal and liquid waste matter was to be disposed of by digging a hole outside the camp and covering it over. Other nations had open sewers and through crap into the streets.

There were certain animals that the Isrealites were not supposed to eat. I.E Pigs. If not cooked properly, Pig meat is very dangerous.

God is not evil.

The stupidity of man and the influence of the Devil is to be blamed for much of the evil in the world.

Belief and religion cannot and should not be forced apon others. God gave Humans free will as to weather to obey him or not. It is our choice. He created us, he does know what is best for us. And he made the universe, he HAS THE POWA!!! He could have made us mindless robots, but he did not.

Just some food for thought.
                            Do at least put it in spoilers for the sake of 'tep's blood pressure. I'm afraid my inbox isn't likely to be clear for a good while.

Ah! Look there, another hat! I shall now take up STUPID as well. Jolly good!

I'd be all too happy to discuss any matter as crosses your fancy in another local, if you so desire. But I shall refrain from cluttering this particular thread with my foolish prattle.
                            sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Should we start our own thread or something?
                              And how do you do the spoiler thing?
                              I do not wan to raise Tep's blood pressure, how do you do the Spoiler thing?
                              Crap he is reading it....

Comment

[s poiler] remove space [/spoiler]

And my blood wont boil, its been 7 years that ive been on GW and I refuse to have the religion debate and there are many many people I would have otherwise done it with. Im not changing that policy, especially for you guys.
                                sigpic
                                11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                                X