Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    because then it's not naquahdah. then it's dense iron.

from memory, the lowest possible spot for a unique atom is 114 i believe. given the trending and the Island of Stability, i'd say naquahdah is some 130, Trinium 180 and Neutronium 240.

i believe those are the next "double magic numbers", and thus most stable among their neighbors.

Protons are the "name tag", and the amount determines the element. Hydrogen has one Proton in the nucleus, Helium two, etc. if naquahdah has an occupied amount, it's not naquahdah.

Neutrons are a "flavor". they act as a "bonding agent" and varying amounts of neutrons generate various Isotopes.

gah i'd hate to say this, but a bullet through their brain still hurts just as much.

oh and it would be a massive social/cultural thing. i mean, it could lead to Eugenetics and such. how would the general populace think of it? sportsmen would just do gene modification to be better, parents would modify their children as they see fit, with little regard to the various possible downsides.

i'm also not keen on a thing called superhuman strenght, since you can't gene-engineer that. yes, you can modify 4 genes and you have a natural Schwartzenegger, but that's no superhuman strength.

ethically bioengineered soldiers would be a huge thing since it kind of robs them of "free will". IE, made to be soldiers. to maximize the power and minimize the damage, gene modification would have to happen in the womb and it would rob the child of a choice other than being a soldier. it's not necesarily bad, but i doubt you're thinking like that.
    Ok forgot about that, just wondering about it.

Yes, almost always bullet through brain would kill them, but a handful real Humans have survived a head shot depending on the gun and were the bullet hits. But still, yeah head shot dead.

Well, there society is cast based remember? Samurai are already considered higher then lower cast, hmm, farmers for example. I mean, the lower casts get better treatment then they did in ancient Japan days, it is not like they are ground under heel, but there are just certain things they cannot do, like become a Samurai. So, it would be expected and accepted by there society that the Shogunate, Shikken, Samurai, and Shuseki would get all kinds of fancy enhancements, the higher up the more they would get. Officials and lower casts would get some, there would be no blind, deaf or mute, they would have increased lifespans and immunity to some disease. Like I said, they are treated much better then in ancient times.

Samurai are already supposed to serve until incapable, I.E being dead or permanently disabled somehow. Other modified people are just modified to improve life quality.

Enhancements
    Increased lifespan
    Vaccines against diseases.
    Increased power of natural immune system.
    Enhanced senses.
    Predisposition towards superior strength.
    Increased ability to activate muscle fibers.
    Superior reflex's and nervous system.
    Skin made more resistant to radiation, heat and cold.

I saw you made some changes to the Kiron Theory page, I did not like the Luon much ether actually. I was thinking about it. Exoton sounds better.

Are you trying to avoid the Aschen question?
    Last edited by Gormagon; 05 September 2011, 08:07 AM.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
      Well, there society is cast based remember? Samurai are already considered higher then lower cast, hmm, farmers for example. I mean, the lower casts get better treatment then they did in ancient Japan days, it is not like they are ground under heel, but there are just certain things they cannot do, like become a Samurai. So, it would be expected and accepted by there society that the Shogunate, Shikken, Samurai, and Shuseki would get all kinds of fancy enhancements, the higher up the more they would get.
      P
      I learned recently that the samurai class (including the shoguns and daimyos) used to be the lower caste who did tasks such as guarding the imperial nobility' estates. Then they revolted and became the military-nobility who actually wielded the national power most oft he time.

curious: what do the Shikken and Shuseki do?
      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
        I learned recently that the samurai class (including the shoguns and daimyos) used to be the lower caste who did tasks such as guarding the imperial nobility' estates. Then they revolted and became the military-nobility who actually wielded the national power most oft he time.

curious: what do the Shikken and Shuseki do?
        Shikken are powerful regents that oversee and govern an area of territory for the Shogunate, they answer directly to the Shogunate, an uber Shogun. The Shuseki are just below the Shikken, they are the heads of the various noble families. Some more of the info is on the Arata Houjin'oukoku wiki page.

So I was thinking about the Houjin fusion cannon. Would there be a way to make it even more effective against shields like phase (Not phased) nukes, perhaps by ether allowing Naquadah atom's to flow to the target with the streams of tritium/deuterium, or just mix in kiron/exoton particles taken from the H.L.N core of the ship?

And how would I maximize the IR effect of Houjin particle beams on enemy ships?
        Last edited by Gormagon; 31 August 2011, 10:20 AM.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

On the issue of genetic engineering, if these guys are really that preoccupied with technological advancement, then I think they would be pretty strong proponents of human augmentation.

It would probably be very common place to genetically screen and tweak your kids for example, to give them a leg up, and frankly, if they're at that level, then soldiers can elect to have mechanical augments installed during their tour of duty then have those removed and limbs regrown once they're done their tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            On the issue of genetic engineering, if these guys are really that preoccupied with technological advancement, then I think they would be pretty strong proponents of human augmentation.

It would probably be very common place to genetically screen and tweak your kids for example, to give them a leg up, and frankly, if they're at that level, then soldiers can elect to have mechanical augments installed during their tour of duty then have those removed and limbs regrown once they're done their tour.
            Yup. They screen and fix any deformity or other health problem they find in fetuses to improve life quality. They use both bio-engineering and technology to fix injuries and problems. There are no deaf, dumb (Mute) or blind, and no conditions like down syndrome, spina bifida, e.c.t.

Comment

So I was thinking about the Houjin fusion cannon.
              the more it becomes a "conventional" plasma weapon the more effective it gets. you'd just need to invest more engineering and energy into the containment field aspect.

And how would I maximize the IR effect of Houjin particle beams on enemy ships?
              well they're not really the perfect type of weapon against shields. but beams of naquahdah would be most effective (well technically neutronium, but that's way too high up the tech level)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                Shikken are powerful regents that oversee and govern an area of territory for the Shogunate, they answer directly to the Shogunate, an uber Shogun. The Shuseki are just below the Shikken, they are the heads of the various noble families. Some more of the info is on the Arata Houjin'oukoku wiki page.
                I see; so they take the place of the daimyos; will checkout the page to learn more in depth
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

the more it becomes a "conventional" plasma weapon the more effective it gets. you'd just need to invest more engineering and energy into the containment field aspect.

well they're not really the perfect type of weapon against shields. but beams of naquahdah would be most effective (well technically neutronium, but that's way too high up the tech level)
                  Containment field technology...*Scribbling on paper* got it. So lets just use weapons tech to dial up the containment field. Would a powerful magnetic based field do the trick? Perhaps combined with gravitational forces?

So beams of trinium atoms would probably be to "expensive" and hard to acquire since it is not used in a reactor like Naquadah? But, just wondering, how effective would a trinium atom based particle beam be?

Hey, I was thinking about the vampires from Priest, they remind me a little of Wraith/Reapers, but they looked like mutated naked Mole Rats.

I thought Priest was a good movie, I wanted to see more at the end. We have the "vampires" that glow and glitter in sunlight. Then we got old fashioned Dracula type. And a few others I could list, but all basically humanoids with sharp teeth. I like seeing monster type vampires, like from Priest and Vanhelsing.
                  Last edited by Gormagon; 31 August 2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

what do you need gravity for? Kiron Force and Electromagnetism both are 10^36 more powerful than gravity!

Would a powerful magnetic based field do the trick?
                    no the containment field and the Kiron/Exoton field are one and the same.

So beams of trinium atoms would probably be to "expensive" and hard to acquire since it is not used in a reactor like Naquadah?
                    well it would be expensive to shoot beams of stuff you can use in reactors and 100 other useful applications, but if the tech is sufficiently advanced, you don't need a whole lot of it to get a decent effect.

But, just wondering, how effective would a trinium atom based particle beam be?
                    pretty darn effective ? it's not like hydrogen, which has by far the best properties for a particle beam, but Trinium would theoretically be better than Naquahdah, and both are better than hydrogen because of their anti-shield properties.

one possibility is to either mix hydrogen into a naquahdah beam or to mix naquahdah into a hydrogen beam. depends on what you want to achieve.

priest was really nice, yes.

Comment

what do you need gravity for? Kiron Force and Electromagnetism both are 10^36 more powerful than gravity!

no the containment field and the Kiron/Exoton field are one and the same.

well it would be expensive to shoot beams of stuff you can use in reactors and 100 other useful applications, but if the tech is sufficiently advanced, you don't need a whole lot of it to get a decent effect.

pretty darn effective ? it's not like hydrogen, which has by far the best properties for a particle beam, but Trinium would theoretically be better than Naquahdah, and both are better than hydrogen because of their anti-shield properties.

one possibility is to either mix hydrogen into a naquahdah beam or to mix naquahdah into a hydrogen beam. depends on what you want to achieve.

Ok, so just strengthen the beams coherency with the Ex field.

So, how about they use trinium atom based particle beams for really tough targets?

*cough* Still avoiding/ignoring the Aschen question I see.

Comment

what Aschen question.

Trinium would likely mean a stronger exotic field. or greater field density. but i don't REALLY see the point of that, as you can just make your gun like, 10% bigger and you have the same effect. it depends, really, on what you want and what you have available. which is why i hate races with no production problems like money or shortage of resource. it's an "infinity factor " which removes all design problems you could ever have.

you see, say you have a missle. it needs to pack a bigger punch. so you fit a bigger warhead. the missile is thus slower, and you fit in a more powerful engine. now it's not entirely structurally safe and sound, so you give it a better structure. now your missile is faster and stronger, but more expensive.

you can fit your ship with a nickel superalloy and be done with it. or you can make 300% stronger yet lighter ships with Trinium superalloys. the disadvantage is cost and production.

any problem can be dumped in a design aspect. that be cost, time, materials, technology, etc etc etc. if you need a ship capable of defeating an Ori mothership with the technology of the goauld, that can be done. just make a hive-sized ship with half it's nose being a single gargantuan plasma cannon. the cost would be astronomical and the build time half a millenium. but if cost and production aren't your enemy, the same ship can be built with ease within a decade. within a year if you really have to.

Comment

Ok, they do have different sized beam cannons.

They do not have unlimited production capacity, they are just very rich.

They build missiles from different "super alloys". Nickel, Tungsten, Tantalum, Molybdenum, Iridium and trace amounts of Trinium in higher quality, higher yield missiles.

But there ship hulls are made from Trinium, Naquadah, and various offshoots of carbon, woven into a strong, highly tensile and conductive armor.

I Guess ill just have to put my own Aschen info on the wiki then.
                          Last edited by Gormagon; 01 September 2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

I Guess ill just have to put my own Aschen info on the wiki then.
                            please don't. they're a future enemy and right now we don't really even NEED that info.

Comment

please don't. they're a future enemy and right now we don't really even NEED that info.
                              That was called Humor. It is a Human concept with which I am attempting to familiarize myself with.
                              Edit- I have always thought that those long things with glowing blue tips on a Beliskner class ships wing were secondary energy weapons. They looked like smaller versions of O'Neill cannons. I suppose they could have been sensors...

So Killman, any theories on how an Asgard cannon operates? Ion, plasma, particle or just a powerful Ex energy field? They look like ion cannons but that does not necessarily mean anything. O'Neill cannons probably had particle weapon properties incorporated to make them more like a physical projectile for fighting Replicators.
                              Last edited by Gormagon; 01 September 2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

That was called Humor. It is a Human concept with which I am attempting to familiarize myself with.
                                hello Teal'c

So Killman, any theories on how an Asgard cannon operates? Ion, plasma, particle or just a powerful Ex energy field? They look like ion cannons but that does not necessarily mean anything. O'Neill cannons probably had particle weapon properties incorporated to make them more like a physical projectile for fighting Replicators.
                                the APBW is the only asgard weapon of which we know the property. anything else is just guesswork, but based upon visuals Plasma is most likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X