No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually ammo wouldn't be a problem. i do forsee problems with aiming.
    The jump drive idea sounds nice, was thinking of using somthing similar in my own race.
    it's not THE most original idea. but yes i was thinking of the Prommy acquiring one at some point.

however DO note this:

-if a species you introduce has been reverse engineering goauld tech, they will use Hyperdrives (since they're so common)
    -if a species you introduce has been reverse engineering ancient, asgard, nox or furling tech, it will most likely use Hyperdrives.

i was intending the FTL engines to be a base version and a more advanced version.

Subspace drive is basic, Hyperdrive is a more advanced version (therefore advanced races will ditch Subspace drives in favour of Hyperdrives)
    Flash/Jumpdrives is basic, a wormholedrive is a Flashdrive without the drawbacks aside from activation power. size and distance do not nearly matter as much for a wormholedrive as for a jumpdrive. a more advanced race will use Wormholedrives.

in terms of techlevel,

-Subspacedrive
    -flashdrive
    -hyperdrive
    -wormholedrive.

Comment

I think the subspace drive can be seen somewhat like 'warp drive', thus also something which can be developed easily by races like humanity, which would have happened if the Goa'uld had not become what they are now. Thus the galaxy would have looked more like Star Trek.

As for the two different types of drive systems I do not think that one race that got that 'warp drive' would have developed jump drive, To me the two seem to different for that, though it might be possible.

Those that develop the subspace drive would later on work on Hyperdrive and those that gained flashdrives would later on create wormholedrives. Having both types of the drives being developed by any race seems strange. I think only few people would actually try to re-invent the wheel that way.

Yet I can see races like the Ancients or the Asgard working on those simply to move from Hyperdrive to Wormholedrive or to find adequate defences to the other drive type. That being said I think the Hyperdrive/warpdrive techs should be the main drives of this fleet. But once encountering a race that's got the otherand willing to trade, then I can see both becoming widely used, not before.

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

i don't see it as a warpdrive, more like a device which cheats relativity.

yes Loc, i thought of that. Hyperdrive is the most common engine. the goauld and ancients and asgard and all took care of that.

yes, other forms of drives would be gained by trade. i would like earth to be more.... scavenging. i think we should upgrade the Prommy along the way with all sorts of stolen/gained/scavenged stuff, like a cloak.

essentially any race in contact with the general population of the MW will have hyperdrives. only those that do not live on the terraformed worlds will probably develop something else.

As for the two different types of drive systems I do not think that one race that got that 'warp drive' would have developed jump drive, To me the two seem to different for that, though it might be possible.
        they are two completely different types of FTL, yes. the point would be that a race "chooses" it's trajectory of FTL. one species might have an "FTL race" like we had a spacerace, and thus get Subspace drives ( because they are the lowest tech). another race might be more relaxed and take it's time to properly develop FTL, and they might get Jumpdrives. Hyperdrives are more advanced, in terms of physics and engineering. i expect the Jump, Subspace and Hyperdrives to be reverse engineerable. the Wormholedrive is like the ultimate form of FTL and i think it won't be introduced in any short notice.

i think that in the case of the first 3 forms of FTL, it's a case of discovery VS invention. hyperdrives might be harder to invent, but there are plenty laying around, so the expertise and equipment and the drives themselves are plenty and thus it's the FTL of choice. if the Great Alliance used subspace drives, those would be the common form of FTL, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          actually ammo wouldn't be a problem. i do forsee problems with aiming.

however DO note this:

-if a species you introduce has been reverse engineering goauld tech, they will use Hyperdrives (since they're so common)
          -if a species you introduce has been reverse engineering ancient, asgard, nox or furling tech, it will most likely use Hyperdrives.
          I have noted that, everything will be made clear once i have a sort of history set up.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Not been really in this thread before but if I might ask, what is the purpose of it? I noticed it from time to time but never really checked it. My understanding is you guys started as a group that discussed starships and modelled new ships whereupon you changed into a story group with new races etc etc.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

we are discussing the universe iin which we are going to start a new Virtual Fleet

www.darkarmada.nl
              www.runescape.com

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked (can't be bothered to search lol) but could the subspace drive be fitted to fighters (assuming it had a decent power generation??
                sigpic
                "We are the Fifth Race. Our role is clear. If there is any hope in preserving the future, it lies with us."
                Signature made by RJB

Comment

I think so, after all a small hyperdrive could be installed. and the Hyperdrive is a faster and better form of the subspacedrive

www.darkarmada.nl
                  www.runescape.com

Comment

i don't know what the rest thinks of it.

but yes, a subspace drive generates the field only. unlike a hyperdrive, the energy requirement would be less, and the speed would be less. the accelleration and speed would be generated by the actual engines, not the drive itself. so a fighter would be able to have a subspace drive. the powergeneration has to be good (like a naquahdriah hyperdrive), and i doubt the speed would be very high (i'm not sure if relativity would kick in when flying around in one in realspace, so using a subspace drive wouldn't change much aside from the invisibility/intangibility thing)

Comment

Like all the long distance engines there :thumb:

also, concerning RKVs:

I like the idea of an RKV, but its power just seems to overly done in my eyes. 1g going at 1% the speed of light could move 100kg 30m/s backward.

Concerning nukes: A tsar bomb is 50mt. These would easily destroy sheilds. I agree that they should only be used rarely, but nukes are probably the best weapons in space combat. BUT: they are powerful, and IMHO, should be rarely put onto spacecraft because of the effects of frieldly fire and the massive damage they do. If a bad leader were to order a nuclear attack on a gou'ld colony, the planet would be inhospitible for years.

Concerning amrour: We need it. Not just a few meters, but thick armour. And it should slow ships down considerably depending on the kind of armour it was equiped with and how thick it is.
                      Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                      sigpic

Comment

Hey guys, I have a question and also a new piece of technology I've been using in a fanfic of mine. the question is this. how exactly does the fleet work, how do we post things, like events and stories and such ?

The tech I've been working on I dubbed subspace data transport, it works like beaming technology, but it instead uses subspace to transport items and people over longer distances. It works similar also t a ring platform as it has to be send to a base area, and or a inside of a building with a pattern inprinted on the floor/ceiling. It uses subspace instead of transporter technology.

So if a craft has a subspace drive on it, keying into that drive heat signature would initiate the subspace data transport, allowing the craft to "go to hyperspace" but it would be subspace, but just as a fast as hyperspace. I haven't worked out all those kinks yet other then transport of items and people.

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Concerning nukes: A tsar bomb is 50mt. These would easily destroy sheilds. I agree that they should only be used rarely, but nukes are probably the best weapons in space combat. BUT: they are powerful, and IMHO, should be rarely put onto spacecraft because of the effects of frieldly fire and the massive damage they do. If a bad leader were to order a nuclear attack on a gou'ld colony, the planet would be inhospitible for years.

Concerning amrour: We need it. Not just a few meters, but thick armour. And it should slow ships down considerably depending on the kind of armour it was equiped with and how thick it is.
                          the tsara bomba was a humongous device. naquahdah allows for smaller nukes. if we're doing a full restart i'd like to do it good from the beginning, if we do s6/s7 we should retcon.

armor: yes i know we need armor. i'm just saying theres a difference between the armor you need and the armor you might need. you're pretty much ****ed when the shields fail, it just depends on how ****ed you want to be. you could use neutronium plating, have the best armor in existence, and have terribly expensive ships, or just go with steel/trinium and mass produce em.

as to nukes, again, yes they're a very crude weapon. if you're lucky, you get 50% efficiency. if you're unlucky, the numbers are worse. a directed energy weapon has an efficiency of 90-100%.

The tech I've been working on I dubbed subspace data transport, it works like beaming technology, but it instead uses subspace to transport items and people over longer distances. It works similar also t a ring platform as it has to be send to a base area, and or a inside of a building with a pattern inprinted on the floor/ceiling. It uses subspace instead of transporter technology.

So if a craft has a subspace drive on it, keying into that drive heat signature would initiate the subspace data transport, allowing the craft to "go to hyperspace" but it would be subspace, but just as a fast as hyperspace. I haven't worked out all those kinks yet other then transport of items and people.
                          ok yes i understand now.

it's possible. however a system that works via subspace would be vastly more complex, since the matterstream needs to be sent via subspace, then buffered and reintegrated right. you'd need quite a subspace emitter and reciever for that
                          Last edited by thekillman; 06 May 2010, 11:08 AM.

Comment

My insomnia is acting up so...

So, big ships that will probably cost a ton anyway we have good sheilds, weapons, armour, engines ect.

Small ships we concentrate on thing for each. One which has small firepower and shields but has very thick armour. And others which have very thin armour and powerful engines.

Rather than following normal procedure and going, scout, frigate, destroyer, ect.

Over in the other fleet you had good ideas for armour and the such.

Nukes: Did some thinking. Most of the power of a nuke is sent through the air and creates a shockwave. The shockwave kills basically everything for a certain distance depending on the yeild of the nuke. In space, there is no air. A nuke would have no shockwave and thus the only damage that would happen would be contact of the nuclear explosion and radiation that would shower over the shields. So nukes wouldn't be very effective space weaponry. Guess they would be good on organic ships *cough* wraith *cough* Still, the tsar bomb was a 5km fireball.

So, in conclusion, I guess we should use them as a weapon in space.

(Insomnia + Me = mindless rambling)
                            Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                            sigpic

Comment

Is it allowable to introduce ships that have been used in the OSDT?
                              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
                              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Experiment 442 View Post
                                Nukes: Did some thinking. Most of the power of a nuke is sent through the air and creates a shockwave. The shockwave kills basically everything for a certain distance depending on the yeild of the nuke. In space, there is no air. A nuke would have no shockwave and thus the only damage that would happen would be contact of the nuclear explosion and radiation that would shower over the shields. So nukes wouldn't be very effective space weaponry. Guess they would be good on organic ships *cough* wraith *cough* Still, the tsar bomb was a 5km fireball.
                                Actually, in space nukes have a different effect. 90% of the bomb energy (approximately) would come out as x-rays that would fry/melt/vaporize anything within - say - 900 m. These x-rays are mostly absorbed in an atmosphere, so we think nuke = shock-wave + fireball, but in space nuke = big-freakin'-load-of-radiation. Oh, and anything not vaporized that's still within 1100 m or so will suffer from spallation - chunks of hull plating crumpling and flying off. This can be . . . problematic. So nukes in space aren't bad at all. They're flashbulbs of doom.

(Their range, however, is - as I said - limited.)

P.S. Neutron bombs would be a very efficient way to go . . .
                                sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Working...
                                X