No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, I think can be assumed that the Asgard use a dakara like device to seed life based on the Asgard, perhaps they even put them in a device to speed up time to like 2000% to get information quickly.

Perhaps this is what eventually will lead to the rebirth of the Asgard Imperium. Also why do the Asgard not try to communicate with their brethren in an alternate universe with a quantum mirror? Might solve things fast, might also increase Asgard tech allot.

www.darkarmada.nl
    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

You know what this fleet needs? Characters to man the fleet! Characters to use this exciting new tech! Characters who get into varied sorts of situations with this fleet or exciting new tech! Characters we can cheer for, and be shocked or saddened when they have to deal with problems?

Anyone? Ideas?

no?

Oh come ON!

*gets shot by RKV*

AH! BELOW THE BELT! who aimed below the belt!?! ...ow....
      [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Good Lord... of the rings.

You lot are impossible, the moment you see something totally new you scream! An RKV is not uber, it's not an instant kill bullet. It does not overload shields. It would punch straight through any hull, yeah, but it still has to drain shields the old fashioned way.
        A lot of games in fact use this, energy weapons are stronger against shields, and kinetics are better against hulls.
        Even as they punch through hulls, it's not necessarily a one shot kill, not even close. At first, it would be a big advantage, but that always happens when you just introduce a new technology, like HEAT missiles almost made tanks obsolete. But there are always countermeasures that everyone adopts soon after.

Say internal shields to redirect the plasmified round from sensitive components, and distributed hull architecture, designed for redundancy.

The hyperspace entry is seen at low speeds because ships in SG automatically decelerate. Imagine your gallivanting around the galaxy at .06 c, and you drop out at your destination. You are probably going to be very close to your target, and going at 0.60c you have a god chance of hitting it before you can pull out, hence, the polite and safe practice of decelerating before dropping out.

Comment

You lot are impossible, the moment you see something totally new you scream! An RKV is not uber, it's not an instant kill bullet. It does not overload shields. It would punch straight through any hull, yeah, but it still has to drain shields the old fashioned way.
          tom i know enough of the stargate universe to know that it's EXACTLY what SG RKV's are gonna do. they ARE gonna be insta-kill simply because nothing prevents it.

secondly, we know goauld have fluctuating shields, anything going fast enough might puncture through them.

besides, i do not believe that RKV's or wholly different weapons ARE needed.

what SG misses:

-sense of scale. both in 4D and in terms of energy. plasma weapons and their claimed figures make no sense, nor do ZPM's, and some other stuff. we can assign a number, and use it as rough indication. of course you can be off by like, 10% or so. in a battle you simply have unpredictable factors. still there are margins. and i think everyone who visits Sci and Tech has the skills and knowledge to check if something's roughly right.

-sense of continuity. as in, no extreme villain decay like the ori and wraith suffered. have the stories and backstories make sense. quite simple and SG1 was quite good at it, except with asgard and ancients. the ancients don't need to be 50 million years old.

-correct brains VS tech level ratio. the goauld had a well-established reason for being that way. the ori did not, and i hate them for that. the wraith, same thing.

-realistic learning curve. Carter was host to a Tok'ra and all and well, that gives her some points. Mckay however was OTT.

-and a little diversity. the goauld did nicely but could've used some more. the wraith were just monocolor, the only ones bringing them to life a bit were Todd and Michael, and the latter's inability to die became annoying.

as to characters, i've thought up a few. i think we could establish some good characters and work with those.

The hyperspace entry is seen at low speeds because ships in SG automatically decelerate. Imagine your gallivanting around the galaxy at .06 c, and you drop out at your destination. You are probably going to be very close to your target, and going at 0.60c you have a god chance of hitting it before you can pull out, hence, the polite and safe practice of decelerating before dropping out.
          actually in orbit they have a clear decelleration phase. in the atmosphere they do not

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            tom i know enough of the stargate universe to know that it's EXACTLY what SG RKV's are gonna do. they ARE gonna be insta-kill simply because nothing prevents it.
            How and why?

secondly, we know goauld have fluctuating shields, anything going fast enough might puncture through them.
            I forgot about that... still, those shields are adaptable, if they can stop particle beams, why not RKVs?

besides, i do not believe that RKV's or wholly different weapons ARE needed.
            Creative license.

actually in orbit they have a clear decelleration phase. in the atmosphere they do not
            They did that on purpose through, which shows that a ship does not need to decelerate form hyper.

Comment

the reason why is because even a deathglider got to a million miles per hour in minutes. time is the only factor.

stuff like beaming and gate travel itself allows violation of momentum conservation

Comment

In that case, I don't see a reason some enterprising inventor wouldn't think to use that to his or her advantage. SG breaks a lot of the laws of physics, it's fact that must be accepted or the whole SAG canon thrown out and replaced.

Hence, we have to live with it.

Comment

if we don't get asgard beaming that won't be a problem.

however we can simply deny RKV's and such the battle. SG does it all the time. i think it simply does not belong in this universe. i wanted realism in many ways but not that way. we might as well remove all humans from the universe and fight with replicators.

Comment

Why does everything always devolve into a tech-quibble between Tom and killman?

Anyway, as you can see I'm back (for the moment). I asked this on the old thread before I saw this one, but does anyone mind filling me in on what I've missed?

Also, if you all are planning on scrapping/ignoring the old fleets, might I have permission to use 1.0-3.0? Not as my own, of course, but I had been toying with the idea of novelizing the fleet (or parts) . . . and perhaps cleaning it up a bit as I went. It wouldn't be totally independent, but I'd like to keep my work distinct so that there is no trouble over who invented what. It would be a sort of extension of the work I've done in the database; organizing and tidying.

At any rate, it's good to see stuff happening again.
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

you've missed nothing, as we're still discussing stuff.

it's not nessecarily a tech battle but more about the desire for ultra-realism. i'm against RKV's simply because it wouldn't be fun.

i think missiles, railguns, coilguns particle cannons (only used by some races due to size), plasma and ion weapons are fine.

i'm more desiring for a BSG-esque battle than some SG battles we've seen. i mean, it sometimes appears in SG that you either have uber or crapshoot.

Comment

McKoy! Your back! Ah yes, I noticed the trend as well.

It's not necessarily a tech battle, as much as a misunderstanding. I'm trying to tell Killman why RKVs would not ruin space battles. I'd need to run some numbers, but the tech I'm in favor of isn't the 0.99c variety RKVs, they would be the slower 75-90% c, ones, megaton ranges. A poor man's substitute to big, tunable plasma canons.

Basically, I'm not campaigning for uber realism here, but rather creative license. A wider variety of technologies and weapons applications would draw more people to the fleet.

Comment

yes more appliances is what i'd like to see. i dislike the "poor man's " part since it would turn any moron with a tel'tak into a person of great power.

i'm fine with RKV's if it's the type that's fired from humongous cannons that take up the length of a ship. the 500 meter long massdriver type. the rich man's weapon

Comment

compromise everyone, you know killman, use the poldermodel]

did y'all notice the forum ain't working well, I get bumbed back to the beginning of a thread and cannot start reading where I left off...

www.darkarmada.nl
                            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Any moron with a tel'tak can already do that. The ship can do 0.60c can't it?

Comment

never established that.

and it was never used.

i think that fighting smart enemies for starters is enough. we'll see what we do with the rest later.

Comment

Working...
                                X