No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you don't need a ship to be safe. missile cells, railguns and orbital defence station would do miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      you don't need a ship to be safe. missile cells, railguns and orbital defence station would do miracles.
      Maybe so, but again, the average human is an idiot. You would need alot of those to mount an effective defence.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

against what? it's not like half the galaxy will know exactly where our colonies are. besides, any significant colony is worth a significant defence. use ship-class shields, powersource etc but then without the need for long-term facilities like gyms etc, making it far more compressed and powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
          that is a radical new way, but it does seem more logical and dangerous. The biter evilness of the Goa'uld and the intellect of the humans with knowledge of all Goa'uld tech (derived from Ancient tech anyway) would be cool.
          He would also be a bit paranoid and even psychotic due to the pressure of thousands of years of ruthless Goa'uld genetic memory. The kind of guy that would perform unspeakable actions even to the System Lords. I'd say Hannibal Lecter with glowing eyes...

About the SGC, keep it on Earth. Whatever the case, you'll always need to have a stargate on Earth or a spaceship airport. In case of a worldwide attack, it's far safer to evacuate the world through the stargate. Even the Ancients did that when they were under siege from the Wraith. And you'll need something to make the building that house the gate a secure place and that were it in Cheyenne Mountain or in the middle of New York. Because it's our main insurance.

I even think that the first thing we should do is designing an upgraded version. We know what happened in the show, so let's do it.
          First thing's first : The dialing room shouldn't be directly in front of the gate. Walter is a sitting duck!!!!

That's damn stupid. Put it on a different floor or at least somewhere where it wouldn't be taken out by the first person stepping out from the gate. You would gain enough room in front of the gate to move bigger things through it like trucks or jeeps or even 302s.

Then you could put cameras to monitor what's happening in here. And let's face it : if there is an alert and those cameras stop functioning, your safer everywhere else on Earth than in the gateroom. And you could safely gas, shoot, nuke, ... whatever's in that room.
          Last edited by lord groovy; 15 April 2010, 11:19 AM.
          La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
          L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

And keep the SGC on Earth. I even think that the first thing we should do is designing an upgraded version. We know what happened in the show, so let's do it.
            well earth would have it's own dialling facility. i just don't think it's smart to dial black holes by accident when your main dial facility is on earth. an Alpha Site is much more expendable than your 6-billion-people-counting homeworld. and your alpha site is much easier evacuated than the entire earth. for an Alpha Site, maximum fatalities would be a few thousand perhaps. for earth, the max is 6 billion.

i'd recommend tok'ra forcefields. both an iris, and a gateroom shield.

Comment

those shields and all are exactly what are needed, just use overkill in defences if your homeworld is at stake.

www.darkarmada.nl
              www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

well earth would have it's own dialling facility. i just don't think it's smart to dial black holes by accident when your main dial facility is on earth. an Alpha Site is much more expendable than your 6-billion-people-counting homeworld. and your alpha site is much easier evacuated than the entire earth. for an Alpha Site, maximum fatalities would be a few thousand perhaps. for earth, the max is 6 billion.

i'd recommend tok'ra forcefields. both an iris, and a gateroom shield.
                Alpha site would rather be for dialing new gate addresses or gates that are located in enemy territory. The SGC would rather be for day to day activity and maybe also important missions. Because Earth can afford a better defense than the Alpha site who is suppose to be a secret base.

Comment

both are secret bases. besides, what defences does earth have? if the goauld show up, there's nothing we can do, really. aside from tossing some ships at it that happen to be nearby.

Comment

both are secret bases. besides, what defences does earth have? if the goauld show up, there's nothing we can do, really. aside from tossing some ships at it that happen to be nearby.
                    But I suppose that this time we would have more ships + defense satellites + earth to space missiles + SG teams sabotaging Goa'ulds facilities before they got to Earth. And remember that the main goal of the SG program was to provide Earth with technology and allies to ward off any alien menace.
                    And this is why I think that some of that technology should be incorporated first into the SGC in Cheyenne Mountain, Earth then later on the Alpha Site.

Comment

To the people who want to colonize the Solar system. I'm obliged to point out that that's a lot harder than it sounds.

there is no place in the system that can support human life, you need to import everything, food, air, water, you have to shield it, provide artificial gravity. Earth doesn't have the industrial base to do this on any meaningful sale.

It's more efficient to put all that production towards making ships and defense systems and placing them around off-world colonies.

As to Anubis, it's possible to make him non-ascended, but it's actually not that big a difference. Half-ascended he's hard to kill, but he isn't our main problem, his fleet is, and his ships and armies are not made of intangible black goo.

I prefer a Season beginning because we can change enough to give Earth a fleet by Season 5-8, which make things more exciting. Speaking of which, after Season 8, how would you guys feel about going the way SGW proposed? The Stargate Union is formed, based at the Omega Site it takes over the SGC's exploration duties. The Asgard begin to work much closer with humanity to asses our ability as the Fifth Race, etc?

About the Earth SGC, Alaska, underground nuclear test chamber to contain a blast. And maybe move it to the moon once we have the resources.

Comment

As to Anubis, it's possible to make him non-ascended, but it's actually not that big a difference. Half-ascended he's hard to kill, but he isn't our main problem, his fleet is, and his ships and armies are not made of intangible black goo.

About the Earth SGC, Alaska, underground nuclear test chamber to contain a blast. And maybe move it to the moon once we have the resources.
                        Ill agree that him being half ascended isnt as big as it sounds, but i think its more logical that hes harsicis rather than ascended, as him being banished by lowly goauld when he was arguable at his greatest power thousands of years ago. Perhaps unlike Shifu where he was able to supress the goauld memories, oma wasnt able to to do so, in the same way, so he became evil and corrupt as an ascended harsicis, unlike Shufi he didnt deny it battle after she gave him the ascended powers. Either way i think the origin of anubis's knowledge as harscis is a really nice idea. As he "was only able to retain the knowledge he otherwise could have gained as a regular goauld", now i think that knowledge was superior to a normal goauld, and we know that humanity of some form is required for ascension, if he was human but with goauld memories it could explain alot at least.

If we have beaming technology there is alot of barriers left out, there are more sources for asgard beaming tech than just the asgard. For example retorengineering of thors hammer, or from the hatak anubis used, or indeed from the cargo ship used by Sg1 in rescuing him. I really think we should have beaming technology, as a base, because with it, it gives us alot of potential for changing and setting up the universe we want. Yes its a cop out, but its a cop out thats been given to us for along time by stargate. Even if earth doesnt have it, we should have it in some form.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

I think out version of rings would be the most logical version of beaming we can get earlier on. I think a big part of us reverse engineering all this relatively quickly would be the minor Goa'uld technicians that we capture along with Klorel's Ha'Tak, then possibly form other Goa'uld later on.
                          We can use the Unity crystal to scan their memories even if they prove uncooperative, which is doubtful, given a choice between helping out and getting shot is pretty easy, especially given how the Goa'uld seem to work, they would have little reason not to believe us when threatened.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                            I think out version of rings would be the most logical version of beaming we can get earlier on. I think a big part of us reverse engineering all this relatively quickly would be the minor Goa'uld technicians that we capture along with Klorel's Ha'Tak, then possibly form other Goa'uld later on.
                            We can use the Unity crystal to scan their memories even if they prove uncooperative, which is doubtful, given a choice between helping out and getting shot is pretty easy, especially given how the Goa'uld seem to work, they would have little reason not to believe us when threatened.
                            I think that they would be interested by a nice house in the middle of Las Vegas or those Dubai islands. The Goa'ulds probably didn't offer them such high standard of living. Add a little bit of Teal'c there, to show them that there is no painless alternative.

But back to the rings they seem to work for surface to atmosphere travel, like a hightech elevator. How are we suppose to tweak them so that it could allow travel from New York to Paris, or New Delhi to Brasilia? Except rotating them to a vertical position of course.

Comment

The Rings go anywhere you like, as long as you have a receiving station. Their not just surface to orbit, they can be used between ships, and I'm sure there have been instances of them being used to get between different locations on the ground.

Comment

we have a massive internet network. of course we could somehow channel the matter stream.

anubis being half-ascended IS a big deal. he's immortal and impervious to all but ascended. he survived a dozen drones to his head, the subsequent massive explosion of his mothership, space, humans, extreme colds, and what not? i'd like him to be mortal.

furthermore: i think the asgard could supplant Dakara, so to speak. Dakara is an unnessecary weapon introduced to kill the MWR's, while all that's needed is a functioning ARG in possession of the asgard. in fact, if they hadn't invoked countermeasures for the ARG, it might have worked from the beginnning.

Perhaps unlike Shifu where he was able to supress the goauld memories, oma wasnt able to to do so, in the same way, so he became evil and corrupt as an ascended harsicis, unlike Shufi he didnt deny it battle after she gave him the ascended powers. Either way i think the origin of anubis's knowledge as harscis is a really nice idea. As he "was only able to retain the knowledge he otherwise could have gained as a regular goauld", now i think that knowledge was superior to a normal goauld, and we know that humanity of some form is required for ascension, if he was human but with goauld memories it could explain alot at least.
                                you know how to do the MOST unspeakable crimes of anubis?

-pick and have sex with a goauld
                                -abduct the Harsesis child, possess it as a goauld, and use it for evil. since the goauld see warfare as a game with rules, breaking those is bad (even Apophis never did it untill he was really powerful) and then using the child as host is the worst crime imaginable

Comment

Working...
                                X