No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about we move Atlantis farther away, i never liked how it was easy to access when we got the 304's.

if we do use Atlantis writing it is going to be far difficult since powering the city should never be a problem after a certain point since atlantis should have the faculties to make Zpms. or some other device, the only problem i had with the database is that we have all the info their, i mean if we make the wraith truly a foe then the expedition will be able to be under pressure. hopeful our 304's or 303's what ever we use will have better weapons than the rail guns which only worked once will powered by plot.

though if we set our nukes to blow the moment that they hit something then it should be a better fight.
    Also how will we portrayed the wraith coming up with defenses for the asgard beaming, cause i did not like how it happened.
    time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
    sigpic

Comment

atlantis is a city, not an industrial complex. whatever made ZPM's was probably the priority target for the Wraith.

Atlantis should be left out. and why does it mess with stuff? SG was fine untill we got lanteans, which are some of the most flawed races, including wraith.

no, we gather strenght and fight the Goauld. then, i'd like surpressed groups take over the technology and start their own factions and empire and we can fight them, combining goauld tech used to full potential with human intellect and tactics.

i'd like to see more variety in organic technology, but also in machines.

and Tom, i think the altairans can be used, though Harlan's the only left, i think it's cool if AI's were made to inhabit the new bodies. AI's designed to think and act like humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet View Post
        This is a total different set of humans, I think people are missing what I mean by 3rd gen humans: 3rd generation of human evolution. I don't want to tinker with the SG1 timeline. That isn't a fleet, that's fan fiction.
        Personal;ly I agree here, both gothic anddark, as wellas mythology would be big here I think, I'm all for this DaveT (if I can call ya DaveT ?) Personally this feels right. Since we hadstated at times we'restarting anew for 4.0's fleetover all. It will be smaller, possibly something of what it once was at one point, maybefallen into disrepair or infamous deeds or the like, and now a new group takes over and tries to build on that andmake it better again or something

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

s to the Antarctic SGC, I'm going to go with a no so hot idea. There have been a lot of foothold situations at the SGC over the years, and placing it next to the most overfull weapon on the planet is a bit... inviting for Murphy. Ideally, Earth's stargate should be placed somewhere on the dark side of the moon, in a based dug up with tunnel crystals.

Then we should have an off world SGC that's actually in charge of exploration and fighting. Because making a facility big enough for that on the moon would be costly, it's better to use it as a transit station.

Now, as to the people who want us to have some bases before the show, I say: what if we never abandoned Abydos? There were plenty of Ra's toys around to reverse engineer, and it gives us aces to Naquadah, and it's possible because we didn't know about any otehr Stargates until Jackson found the Abydos Cartouche. Eh? Win win for all sides.
          Your forgetting the ATA Gene, which even on a heavily populated planet of humans only a handful of people have that, and its only been shown another handful in Pegasus and theres only been two people (Anubis and Khalek) who have any kind of understanding of ancient tech or the potential to have the gene. Making the whole "next to the drone chair takeover" situation virtually impossible in practical terms, ancient technology cant be used by goauld or jaffa and no alien would have the gene so chance of any race taking over the SGC and getting through all our other defenses and finding the drone platform and having the ability or technology to be able to fire them without at some point being killed or stopped in the process...seriously Antarctic SGC would work.
          However i do like the idea of an interconnected base thats connected by gates. So every base is an offworld extension of the central SGC on Earth. So if we find a piece of tech, they wouldnt come to earth they would go to the R&D planet etc, with different sets of teams all working out of different bases but all reporting to a central command facility like the one im proposing. Also i think setting up on Abydos would be a great idea, perhaps weve been mining and retro'ing goauld technology for years from a base in the pryamid, the base could still have been destroyed by Anubis at the end of S6 though, without it messing up the storylines too much, but we could tie it in to our storyline but saying that promethius's pre-asgard technology were the results of cannibalizing parts from old goauld ships we found on abydos. and that we had enough material leftover to begin work on Deadalus or another promethius. Personally i like promethius as a ship so when we get around to it can we not scrap the class and keep it in as one of our main ships. I think it worked better than Deady anyway.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

except that if they get hold of that SGC, they can bring in a nuke and nuke the place, robbing us of our primary defence.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              except that if they get hold of that SGC, they can bring in a nuke and nuke the place, robbing us of our primary defence.
              Thats only if they know the gate is near the platform.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

But once again, thats a huge "If" considering all the other stuff we would have on this side of the gate. I actually think we could significantly upgrade the gate security systems, Anubis's dial forwarding system would be perfect for that. No GDO, get dumped on a random planet, rather than in to the iris thus potentially killing a valuable person who we might want on our side at some point. We could use it to our advantage also, with our teams being equipped with planet/mission specific GDO's, they can dial earth as a central location in terms of escape and quick dialing but our buffer could detect specific GDO sequences that could be used to forward them to their base. It could be very efficent, and be used by other races. GDO's could also be incorporated in to our SubCantaneous transmittors, meaning our people can always get back even if they dont have a GDO. And make them specific to someones DNA, meaning that they cant be taken out by an enemy and used against us. Basicly make Earth only available to people who HAVE to be there, with small bases around the galaxy providing day to day opperations and missions. With Earth only being used when a more significant opperation is required, through which we can send much larger and better equipped battalions from conventional armed forces, with the kind of artillery and vehicles that would be needed. Earth being used as a tactical source of manpower and strategy rather than a single place where SG teams all end up. Decentralise the organisation on to numerous planets. With Earth still remaining very defensible from orbital and gate attack. Even if a nuke went off in antarctica its pretty much the best place on earth for a nuke to go off.
                The new base would also have access to the ZPM powering the chair, which as we know for normal gate requirements and a very power intensive setup, can power Atlantis for years. With the ZPM and chair the kind of defenses and systems we have been using for the SGC would be entirely self sufficent, providing we dont dial Atlantis and go by ship, or send the Asgard.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  ...we can send much larger and better equipped battalions from conventional armed forces, with the kind of artillery and vehicles that would be needed.
                  If Earth was to send through battalions and vehicles, then it would make sense that those Nations involved with the gate would push for greater Unity between all nations. Knowing whats out there you would want the planet working together, rather than fractured.

Even if a nuke went off in antarctica its pretty much the best place on earth for a nuke to go off.
                  True, but even if a nuke when off, someone would notice. Questions would be raised and it would be one hell of a job to cover it up.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

In this version the SGC would have been made public when anubis attacks, when the president was preparing one hell of a speach, he made it and it went public, the antarctic base would be the result of an international cooperative effort as a way to make t he stargate a neutral resource for the planet while keep it away from the wider public, the only place on earth to do that would be around the antarctica base, and we already have a complex there.
                    sigpic
                    11000! green me

Comment

it's not gonna be a tsara bomba if someone nukes that SGC. it's gonna be a much bigger kaboom. preferably Gatebuster-sized, to make absolutely sure someone on earth notices it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        and Tom, i think the altairans can be used, though Harlan's the only left, i think it's cool if AI's were made to inhabit the new bodies. AI's designed to think and act like humans.
                        Why to all the trouble when we can just copy our own people with no infernal R&D? It also means that whoever we can't save can be downloaded fully (we know it's possible, so the scanner can probably do full transfers instead of copies with some tweaks) and have our dead come back as cybernetic warriors, lie the the Dragoons form Star Craft.

Your forgetting the ATA Gene, which even on a heavily populated planet of humans only a handful of people have that, and its only been shown another handful in Pegasus and theres only been two people (Anubis and Khalek) who have any kind of understanding of ancient tech or the potential to have the gene. Making the whole "next to the drone chair takeover" situation virtually impossible in practical terms, ancient technology cant be used by goauld or jaffa and no alien would have the gene so chance of any race taking over the SGC and getting through all our other defenses and finding the drone platform and having the ability or technology to be able to fire them without at some point being killed or stopped in the process...seriously Antarctic SGC would work.
                        However i do like the idea of an interconnected base thats connected by gates. So every base is an offworld extension of the central SGC on Earth. So if we find a piece of tech, they wouldnt come to earth they would go to the R&D planet etc, with different sets of teams all working out of different bases but all reporting to a central command facility like the one im proposing. Also i think setting up on Abydos would be a great idea, perhaps weve been mining and retro'ing goauld technology for years from a base in the pryamid, the base could still have been destroyed by Anubis at the end of S6 though, without it messing up the storylines too much, but we could tie it in to our storyline but saying that promethius's pre-asgard technology were the results of cannibalizing parts from old goauld ships we found on abydos. and that we had enough material leftover to begin work on Deadalus or another promethius. Personally i like promethius as a ship so when we get around to it can we not scrap the class and keep it in as one of our main ships. I think it worked better than Deady anyway.
                        OK, here's another reason Antarctica is a bad choice: lack of access. There are no roads there, and travel by plane is out of the question for half of the year.

What about Alaska? It's in the middle of nowhere, but we can still get to it by ground, reducing costs.
                        And it's close to Russia, so they can ship stuff by boat easily, as well as China, and that's three of the world superpowers in one go.

Now, I imagine the program would work with the off-world SGC exploring a planet and seeing if it's safe, then having the one in Alaska send in whatever they want.
                        Say the US Army wants to test how it's artillery does in low gravity conditions? The SRC (Stargate Reconnaissance Center) send a team through to get preliminary data, once it's verified there is not danger, artillery and armor goes through from the SGC.

Now, Prometheus is a pretty poorly designed ship, we're going to re-design it, right?

PS. If anyone thinks they an keep a nuke gong off secret anywhere in the world, keep dreaming. Maybe if it's really deep underground, but not otherwise.

Comment

It seemed to me that the questions to answer are (I put in quotes what people said earlier. If I forgot something, just tell me).

1. When to start ?
                          Circa 2010
                          2. Where does Earth stand in here in term of technology level and organization?
                          Tech level : Spaceships (302s, 303s and 304s) based on scavenged Goa'uld tech and Human tech only.
                          Weapons : Zats and P90s? maybe some AK47s?
                          Organization : still many countries but the SG program is overseen by an independent organization under the direction of the UN
                          3. Where the SGC should be? What is the state of the Earth fleet and ground forces?
                          Multiple bases on different planets linked together to Earth SGC?
                          4. Who is the main foe? What is his main strengths and weaknesses ?
                          Foes : NewMind Goaulds

Strengths : superior tech level, knowledge stolen from Anubis, less arrogant than the System Lords

Weaknesses : fragmented, limited forces (can't depend on the Jaffas), competition between themselves and the other factions (FJN, Tok'Ra, Lucian Alliance, Earth) who scavenged their technology
                          5. Who are the other alien civilizations? Are they allies, enemies or have a neutral stance ? What is their main strengths and weaknesses?
                          Good question
                          La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                          L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

2010 is too late for the limited re-imagining that seems to be the more popular option right now.

Can we just take a vote and determine how we want to do this already, I think all the arguments have been presented and considered. I'm for the limited re-imagining.

Comment

2004-5 would be far better

Comment

I don't really see how. Yeah, it makes it contemporary, but it leaves Earth to deal with Anubis and his Kull warriors with no off-world experience to back them up. I suppose we could move the whole show then years into the future, but by that time, O'Neil is old and fat, Carter's probably in some lab somewhere, etc.

Basically... weird. But there's something to the idea... what's everyone think?

Comment

Working...
                                X