Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    First off, you'll need to clarify further, and secondly, your obviously used to a more Warhammer 40K universe.

In SG, linking stuff together with physical structures is largely a waste of time and resources, teleportation technology lets you get form on place on a planet to another without anything in between and often with nothing more than a small pair of platforms.
    As to cities, before disclosure, Earth simply won't have the personnel to create permanent cities, bases, yes, camps, yes, outposts, maybe. And you have to remember that even with advanced technology, Earth still doesn't have the resources to build on a planetary scale.
    1) True, I amused to a more warhammer 40K feel to things being this is space and all, and since one mentioned a 3rd generation, things 'could' head in that direction in terms of appearances for fleets and factions and the like.

2) To clarify as you say it; what I mean is, make a space station, (or more) and connect them, thus making a dockyard or the like. but it would have to either be in constantly watched orbit of a planet (or moon) and the like. KDY was in orbit of the planet as a full up ring of dockyards, wearhouses, hotels, office buildings, etc, all moving around the planet, but in a perfect ring at a set speed to keep the orbit steady. Point being that I'm assuming by 3rd generation here, now going with current stuff mind you. Keeping with 3rd Gen to keep things simple as I can.

3) I mean something like that yes, a base first, then slowly growing to small towns, maybe a capital city similar to Atlantis. But going by 3rd Gen there'd already be cities on Mars and (MAYBE) Mercury or Venus (whchever is farther from the sun (hard for me to remember which is closer)),so yeah that's pretty mcuh where I'm headed I guess

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Why would the rings be better when you can go a a planet where you won't need to built all the minutiae required for life in space, and is an order of magnitude further away from Earth?

Anyways, the new base needs to be big enough to let Humvees (and helicopters, fighters, APcs, etc.) drive through the gate and the facilities to house and maintain these vehicles. these would be close to the embarkation section, with laboratories and sickbay in a separate quarter, and accommodations, mess and other human essential supplies in another corner, and so on. We can figure out an exact structure once e figure out what facilities we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        1) True, I amused to a more warhammer 40K feel to things being this is space and all, and since one mentioned a 3rd generation, things 'could' head in that direction in terms of appearances for fleets and factions and the like.

2) To clarify as you say it; what I mean is, make a space station, (or more) and connect them, thus making a dockyard or the like. but it would have to either be in constantly watched orbit of a planet (or moon) and the like. KDY was in orbit of the planet as a full up ring of dockyards, wearhouses, hotels, office buildings, etc, all moving around the planet, but in a perfect ring at a set speed to keep the orbit steady. Point being that I'm assuming by 3rd generation here, now going with current stuff mind you. Keeping with 3rd Gen to keep things simple as I can.

3) I mean something like that yes, a base first, then slowly growing to small towns, maybe a capital city similar to Atlantis. But going by 3rd Gen there'd already be cities on Mars and (MAYBE) Mercury or Venus (whchever is farther from the sun (hard for me to remember which is closer)),so yeah that's pretty mcuh where I'm headed I guess
        I don't think we're doing third gen through. But everything's confused right now, should we just have a vote on what we want to do, as it is everyone's talking form their own perspectives (be it third gen, reset, or limited reset), and each has different storylines.

On a tangent, if somebody has the infrastructure to build on that scale, then inhabiting a planet, or any stationary position would be... what's the word... meh? Mostly, stationary objects of any size dangerously vulnerable to RKKS (relativistic kinetic kill systems) which are practically too cheap to meter in SG (a tel'tak can easily destroy every city on the planet with a bit of luck).

Comment

I don't think we're doing third gen through. But everything's confused right now, should we just have a vote on what we want to do, as it is everyone's talking form their own perspectives (be it third gen, reset, or limited reset), and each has different storylines.

On a tangent, if somebody has the infrastructure to build on that scale, then inhabiting a planet, or any stationary position would be... what's the word... meh? Mostly, stationary objects of any size dangerously vulnerable to RKKS (relativistic kinetic kill systems) which are practically too cheap to meter in SG (a tel'tak can easily destroy every city on the planet with a bit of luck).
          True, you say it rightly, everything at this point for 4.0 is confused and kinda messy in terms of not exactly in proper places and order. I'm going by 3rd Gen perspective mostly because I figured that would work best (personally speaking though I'm not speaking for all, these are all just my thoughts on the matters at hand to be figured out and such.)

I do recall the mythology being thought over and also Killman mentioned re-exploring the snakeheads, which got me back to thinknig mythology and such, and also going gothic if going 3rd gen and the like wherein the snakes would still be present, but also adistant memory or the like.

But liek you say, nothing is finlaized on yet so its all up in the air at this point

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

because, tom, the Rings have useful materials, easy and cheap to mine, with plenty of ice water and plenty of deuterium and tritium and he-3. better than mars, which is pretty much a dry rock without much atmosphere and gravity, while a ful space station would just rotate for gravity and well, it's not that hard and all.

but anyway, i think that redoing SG1, in a later time period with some experience in using the gate would be best

Comment

Problem with that is that if we hold off, then the galaxy would most likely be ruled by Anubis, or some other System Lord that we prevented form growing too powerful.

As to resources, all of that can easily be accomplished by placing the base on a moon orbiting a gas giant, we've sen habitable moon like these before.

Comment

I vote for a rerun of SG1 but with Earth having already established offworld bases for a long time.

The prequel 1945-1995 is just a story to explain why only some tech were reverse-engineered and mass-produced, who is doing what in the international SG program, which countries are involved and what they really seek out there and finally why we keep on fighting the Goa'ulds.

It's somewhat how I envisioned SGU when it started : a story about people.
                La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

That's fifty years of doing nothing through. It's like dead weight.

Comment

That's fifty years of doing nothing through. It's like dead weight.
                    Not when you consider that it took nearly 10 years to have an aircraft like the AV-8B Harrier II (Decision in 1973 and mass-production in 1983).

And this time we are talking about a technology created by a totally alien race (Goa'uld) who scavenged it itself from another race (Ancients?). I always thought that we need at least some time to understand how it works. Once it is done you have the usual exponential growth and by 2010 we could start building our own human-based tech. The humans are not just doing nothing, they are learning how to make thing properly while laying low until the day they can confront directly the System Lords without being backed up by the Asgards.

Note : it took more than 50 years (1930s-1995) to just make the stargate work properly. Even if you consider only the dialing program to get to Abydos, Carter needed 15 years to design and developed it.
                    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

well my idea was that in 1995 the gate was discovered, but only local gates could be dialled. earth gets some offworld bases. then, they design railguns and F-301's, then by approx. 2008 they figure out the correlative update system, build an exploration base on the Alpha site and go explore from there.

Comment

how about we do use 50 years but like in SG-1 we only really use the information when the situation calls for it? But it is necessary for SG-1 or some other team to stop the threat of apohis and Anubis. so if we do use that extra piece of story those bases will have to be developed and maybe play a key role in the story, creating new episodes. or for story convince we could have those bases systematically attacked till only a few and earth remain.
                        time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
                        sigpic

Comment

What? Isn't this a little unnecessary?

Comment

Why not just keep Sg1 as it is but just modify things as we need them. I vote for retconning anything past S8. When anubis attacked we did beat him but the gate program went public, we still sent people to Pegasus but instead of giving them a ZPM the deadalus, and a few promethius class ships with a fleet of nuke capable F302's were enough to scare the wraith away. We pick up at that point. Where Earth has a few bases and ships, a couple in Pegasus and a new global gate program overseen by the IOA. We dont even need a new enemy, we dont need to include the Ori. Personally i think a war between ourselves and the Jaffa could be very promising, and it would be the perfect platform for changing all we dislike about the goauld without editting the show. The Jaffa use thier tech and ships differently, seeing how effective we were against them they begin upgrading and changing their weapons, tactics, uniforms etc. Earth takes up a more defensive position in relation to the Jaffa, we begin setting up colonies around the MW, and acquire or build a new fleet of ships a few years after what would have been the end of S8. We could start it in say 2015 and do a normal fleet.
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

I like the sound of this.... though i'd pull it down to 2011 not 2015....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                                Why not just keep Sg1 as it is but just modify things as we need them. I vote for retconning anything past S8. When anubis attacked we did beat him but the gate program went public, we still sent people to Pegasus but instead of giving them a ZPM the deadalus, and a few promethius class ships with a fleet of nuke capable F302's were enough to scare the wraith away. We pick up at that point. Where Earth has a few bases and ships, a couple in Pegasus and a new global gate program overseen by the IOA. We dont even need a new enemy, we dont need to include the Ori. Personally i think a war between ourselves and the Jaffa could be very promising, and it would be the perfect platform for changing all we dislike about the goauld without editting the show. The Jaffa use thier tech and ships differently, seeing how effective we were against them they begin upgrading and changing their weapons, tactics, uniforms etc. Earth takes up a more defensive position in relation to the Jaffa, we begin setting up colonies around the MW, and acquire or build a new fleet of ships a few years after what would have been the end of S8. We could start it in say 2015 and do a normal fleet.
                                the first intresting thing anyone in this thread has said. imo

Comment

Working...
                                X