Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
    One question; does it HAVE to be russian? personally I'd be much happier if a major part of the fleet were China based, maybe even hvae China "cut a deal" with Russia since the russian gate is so close to the border of China and Russia (been trying pt pinpoint a good location for it on a map, not much luck yet)

What I mean is, China was pretty much a superpower before America was created, heck even before Russia was created, (which is what I'm going off of historywise) China was first to make repeating weapons, swords that were pretty much unbreakable, they had thousands of soldiers trained and ready to fight, heck pretty much anyone that could use a weapon was trained with it. What of a Chinese SG team? (don't get me started on my thoughts for a Chinese only starship.)

Though one thing has been on my mind for 4.0; since we're pretty much starting fresh, maybe after stuff went wrong in 3.0, is it possible that the scavangers part of things made things a little darker, more gothic like so to speak?

One thing I know I'll want is to have a Chinese SG team, so asking this now, would this be good or no? asking fora Chinese ship to be basde of operations for them would be pushing is so a SG team made of Chinese members would work... what do you guys think?
    Don't worry about that. I said earlier that both the US and the Soviet Union would look for allies for exploiting the wonders of the SG program. The Chinese program would be an offshoot of the Russian one and grow stronger as years go on. At the end of the Cold War, the Soviets will need fresh money and fresh minds to keep it running so we'd probably start seeing 100% chinese SG teams.

The NATO members would be working alongside US teams. Germany was a special case during the cold war. Don't know how to deal with them yet.

Though the first two warships were built under the mandate of the US and Russia, as the story goes on, other countries will start making their own versions. National space agencies and private companies will be competing for access to the markets of alien technology and ship building.

I think that the fleet should be under international mandate, even though they could be of different origins. If a chinese team need to go to Orbania, it could very well use a ship made by the UK with an american crew, indian engineers and french militaries.
    La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
    L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

well I am not and do not wish to be in charge. Nationalism is something that is privy to Earth, if it were not part of the fleet, were would the representation of Earth be, not one country can say they represent Earth for there is not a united earth.

It's just plain logic that it is that way.

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

One thing I would like to see re-explored is the Arthur and Merlin mythology. The so called threat from the Ori could simply be replaced with the threat of the goa'uld. Soo much of it was missed out and it would be brilliant to explore it in full.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
          One thing I would like to see re-explored is the Arthur and Merlin mythology.
          I agree fully.... they dangled the Arthur carrot at us, and never really took it further. Merlin was real... so that would mean Arthur was real (in SG terms) what happened to him and knights.... who was he? where did he go?

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

well, I would like to explore more folklore and mythical things

I for one would like to see things about Calypso

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
              well I am not and do not wish to be in charge. Nationalism is something that is privy to Earth, if it were not part of the fleet, were would the representation of Earth be, not one country can say they represent Earth for there is not a united earth.

It's just plain logic that it is that way.
              And you said it better then I ever could, for that I thank you, as you got my point of meaning. (I think I need to sleep)
              Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
              One thing I would like to see re-explored is the Arthur and Merlin mythology.
              Originally posted by locutes View Post
              well, I would like to explore more folklore and mythical things

I for one would like to see things about Calypso
              Talking mythology I'd think I'd be going on a limb saying i'd like to see something (in terms of mythology here) something about either the Monkey King, or Condor Hero character known as the Dragon Girl, or maybe even the Demoness (from Bride with White Hair 1993 film) in terms of mythology I mean

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                I agree fully.... they dangled the Arthur carrot at us, and never really took it further. Merlin was real... so that would mean Arthur was real (in SG terms) what happened to him and knights.... who was he? where did he go?
                Also, how did Arthur and his knights make it of the planet? It sujests there was a 3rd gate in britian, and its something that would have a profound effect on the storyline

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

And you said it better then I ever could, for that I thank you, as you got my point of meaning. (I think I need to sleep)

Talking mythology I'd think I'd be going on a limb saying i'd like to see something (in terms of mythology here) something about either the Monkey King, or Condor Hero character known as the Dragon Girl, or maybe even the Demoness (from Bride with White Hair 1993 film) in terms of mythology I mean
                  there are so much parts of mythology we can use, the sky is the limit.

www.darkarmada.nl
                  www.runescape.com

Comment

Now I think we need to settle one thing before we go further: it it going to be a universe reset, like BSG and Star Trek XI, or it it going to be a retcon, where the old universe is till there, but we changed what happened?

I was initially a proponent of the later, but a universe rest could also be cool. My main concern with that idea is that we aren't professional writers by a long shot, keeping the essence of SG while revamping a whole universe would be hard. hard as in, we probably can't do it "hard".

In terms of mythology, what about Ragnarok? It seems like the replicators were heading towards a Fenrir type thing before they got decked.

Now, as to ships and stuff, I think before we go into details, we should talk about how we're going to be fighting. Goa'uld fighting is ritualized, tehcnology changes slowly, and battles are supposed to be glorious and showy rather than practical. hence armies of Jaffa charging each otehr with Staff Weapons while Death gliders dogfight overhead, using their inertia-less engines for some really impressive maneuvering, combining the sleekness of high tech plane with the class of old school dog-fighting.

Earth obviously doesn't follow that doctrine. So imagine you've been assigned to a think tank tasked with finding the most efficient way of destroying Goa'uld.

Threatening a Ha'Tak with a fighter sized craft would in my opinion be pretty futile, fighters simply can't carry the warheads big enough to get multi-gigaton level explosions. I propose a truck launched Surface to Vacuum Missie, a rocket engine coupled with inertial dampeners and naquadah enhanced fusion warhead. It could be towed (or fired) through the gate, and remote piloted like a UAV to avoid enemy fighters before going boom on a proximity fuse.
                    Something like this.

Comment

[QUOTE=thekillman;11385634]satedans? this is MW not PG.
                      i think the Travellers coulld indeed be a self-evolved and advanced society that devastated it's world. when climatologists predicted the planet wouldn't revert back to normal in any reasonable time, they used the last of their abilities to design and build large generational ships and left. and after a long time they've gotten so used to their life in space that they wish nothing else. also, it keeps them safe from the goauld.

but aren't the Travellers from the Pegasus Galaxy too? so why would they need to hide from the Gao'uld?
                      If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                      [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Monkey King rules! would he be a good guy in this scenario?
                        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                          Monkey King rules! would he be a good guy in this scenario?
                          I'd say yes, same for both the latter two as well (I am a major fan of the myths of long ago, even the writings of some of those books as well,) All three of those i mentioned would be either out for their own survival, or banding together to survive as a whole, but I know for a fact, they'd be either not full up goa'uld, (with a snake in them) and just acting the opart, or just leaders of small groups of followers at best

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                          "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                          "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I'd say yes, same for both the latter two as well (I am a major fan of the myths of long ago, even the writings of some of those books as well,) All three of those i mentioned would be either out for their own survival, or banding together to survive as a whole, but I know for a fact, they'd be either not full up goa'uld, (with a snake in them) and just acting the opart, or just leaders of small groups of followers at best
                            interesting; I can imagine Monkey w/ his usual companions Pigsy and Friar Sand and a monk of some religion, to fit it into the Stargate universe

Comment

the travellers i talked of wouldn't be SGA's travellers

Comment

As someone who has been involved in all three fleets, I feel it is important to keep the fleet designing and voting aspect of it. As tep said if you take that away, it's just fan fiction. I don't like prequels either because you then have a canon to keep too, unless you set it in an alt reality (which is just a get out clause). As I have said throughout the revival: I think we should go far into the future with a new generation of humans (the 3rd generation), where like the ancients, the tauri has been set to legend. It means we can change the type of weapons, design of the ships, type of FtL, everything. We don't lose the history of the other fleets, but we have a clean slate.

Comment

Working...
                                X