No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was waiting on MMD for a spec list for the BB310 Battle class, Ac401 gunship/dropship and the F307-F100 fighter class, as yet I haven't heard back from him, though he did promise it would be done by last Friday
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

So are we moving onto the ships or are we still setting up the plot for the fleet? Like the Aschen and the others?
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

So far Fugi the talk is between setting up and voting for the ships and working out the plotline

Comment

Well I think we should finish the plot line so we can start setting up a timeline of events so we can base our ships and setting off of that
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

agreed

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Ditto, With the plot sorted out it will make things easier

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

we shouldn't plan TOO much.

technology and concepts for the Aschen:

In space warfare, there are two realistic analogies: Air Force or submarine. Humanity has chosen the Air Force, but the Aschen use space warfare more analogous to Submarines.

Since the Aschen have had plenty of time to prepare for war, the Aschen have designed a formidable fleet.

Flak:

the Aschen have developed a form of electromagnetic flak against plasma weapons. the idea is simple: a powerful gauss gun shoots a magnetized projectile in the direction of an incoming plasma bolt. the magnetic field disrupts the plasma bolt, causing it to fragment. depending on the strenght of the plasma bolt, various amounts of projectiles are needed. typically magnetoflak passes close to the bolt, having more effect than actually hitting it (since plasma will be torn away and the projectile remains useful for a longer time. liquid iron isn't ferromagnetic). this same flak also provides some anti-fighter flak, since between two battling ships there will be lots of projectiles shooting around.

Energy Weapons:

because of the flak being deployed, the Aschen cannot use plasma or ion weapons, since their own projectiles would be even more affected. in stead, the Aschen use particle weapons: either Capital, Main Battery Particle Beam cannons (fixed particle cannons typically housed at the nose), or Pulsed Beam particle cannons (shoots beams instead of bolts, think "Trinity") the main particle beams are rather large and immensely powerful compared to the -much smaller- pulse cannons.

Projectile:

practically all aschen ships have two types of weapons: turreted gun batteries or primary, fixed weapons.
                the Fixed projectile weapon is a powerful "Kiloton cannon", a large massdriver which fires 63Kt nuclear shells at the opponent at 3 second intervals. ( so 20 shots per minute). this powerful weapon can be used for planetary bombardment. shells are regular plutonium nukes.

secondary weapons are gauss cannons used for aforementioned flak.

ship design:

similar to submarines, Aschen ships have no windows, nor do they have a regular bridge. in stead, a CIC (combat information center) is located deep inside the ship. the CIC is the nerve centre of the ship. the ship's water supply is stored around the CIC, providing effective radiation protection, cooling and explosion protection. Aschen ships are protected from EMP's, can take immense amounts of damage before the major systems fail and can continue fighting even when half the ship is already destroyed. Aschen use multiple shield generators, which together form the shield bubble. advanced networking between sensors, reactors and shield generators ensures that the shield segments that are about to be hit have more power. additionally it allows the other generators to regenerate their shields while not being battered. this results in a far more effective although less power-efficient and data-heavy system. thick fiber-optic cables transport data throughout the ship. dozens of powerful computer nodes maintain the ship-wide and fleet-wide network.
                ships constantly exchange information, making a battlegroup perform like a single entity. additionally weapons reach maximum effectiveness. these computers also make a near-perfect flak barrier for plasma weapons.

because of their flak barrier, Aschen do not use fighters, and only use (shielded) Gunships and Gunboats for similar roles.

Aschen Ships:

-Aschen Boomer (gunship, 25-30 meters long, equipped with flak guns and regular gauss cannons)
                -Aschen Wrecker(gunboat, designed to support gunships, carry a kiloton cannon and gauss cannons)
                -Aschen Disruptor (destroyer, predominantly used for flak-deployment (hence Disruptor) against plasma weapons. has a Kiloton Cannon and particle pulse cannons)
                -Aschen Shatterer (Cruiser, bombardment ship. has several powerful particle beam cannons, two Kiloton Cannons, an arsenal of Particle and Gauss cannons)
                -Aschen Devastator (Battlecruiser, has Kiloton Cannons, Particle Beam and particle pulse cannons and extensive Flak batteries)
                -Aschen Hypercarrier (mobile Hypercatapult)
                -Aschen Hypercatapult.("catapult" for hyperspace, allowing aschen ships to travel much faster than normally possible considering their engines)

Comment

Killman: Are you making specs for each ship?

Would railguns be able to get through the flak barrier and other weapons like that? Can it be drawn away somehow?
                  Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow i really like the sound of the Ashen...

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Killman: Are you making specs for each ship?

Would railguns be able to get through the flak barrier and other weapons like that? Can it be drawn away somehow?
                      nah i would like people to join in and have them be part of the experience, especially as i believe it will make them much better.

the flak barrier is not solid or anything, and it's not conventional flak as in exploding grenades. Railguns might be somewhat affected due to the magnetism, although the effect is much stronger on charged bolts, as a charged bolt (like plasma) will be partially or completely ripped apart.

also, the barrier is mostly placed between two ships and the projectiles are aimed at incoming plasma bolts primarily. Fighters and Gunships would play a pivotal role in circumverting the barrier and launching nukes. additionally focus fire and continued bombardment will be pretty effective, as will attacking from multiple directions (as the barrier thins). also, high-energy weapons are more resistant against this type of flak (due to stronger containment fields) and it's possible the Tok'ra or so develop a plasma weapon with a stronger containment field to be more effective at taking out the flak.

also, the Flak only disrupts the plasma, thus it disperses much like a non-contained plasma bolt would. therefore the attacks weaken severely, although not completely. bolts intercepted close to the ship itself will remain more effective than bolts hit from far away.

Comment

ok, I get it now.
                        Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                        sigpic

Comment

it sounds good

Comment

We seem to be getting ahead well now. Killman, I have a rough outline of some ship specs but I'm not sure of minor details, would you like to go over them and edit where you can? I'll post them here or can email them to you if you like.

Comment

post em here.
                              i'll go look up the aschen harvester to analyze aesthetics.

Comment

OK give me about 30 minutes and I'll be back.

The Harvester, now there was a cool ship....I wonder if it had anything tactical to offer?

Comment

Working...
                                X