No announcement yet.

Gateworld Virtual Fleet 4.0 - Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we need to finish ironing out the setting first. Let's finish deciding what to do with the Lucian Alliance, Aschen, and the Alesians.

After that, we'll start a story thread (The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet, perhaps). The first couple posts on this thread will be the back-story and other starting information, and then we can post our stories on that thread. This thread will be for technical discussions and ship-voting.

Traditionally, ship models and specifications are submitted and voted on by class. However, 'killman suggested we vote for specs and models separately. I think that's a good plan. So people submit specs, we vote on them, and then people submit models to match the winning ship specs. As for the method of voting, I suggest one vote for everyone who didn't submit a ship, and two votes for those who did. One of these votes may be for your own ship, but the other vote must be for someone else's.

We could also make a clone of our story thread in the fan-fiction section if we wanted (by posting a story in one thread and then in the other). That might draw in more new faces.

And I don't know about a wiki, but I'm willing to compile a new HTML database, if anyone wants.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

a new database would be great

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

yes i'm fine with that.

what are we gonna name the colonies? i'm thinking of following a BSG-esque theme of planets named after constellations.

these are IMO candidates (removed BSG ones)

Spoiler:
        Antlia
        Apus
        Aquila
        Boötes
        Caelum
        Carina
        Cassiopeia
        Centaurus
        Cepheus
        Cerberus
        Cetus
        Columba
        Corvus
        Cygnus
        Delphinus
        Dorado
        Draco
        Eridanus
        Fornax
        Hercules
        Hydra
        Hydrus
        Indus
        Lacerta
        Lupus
        Lyra
        Mensa
        Monoceros
        Musca
        Norma
        Octans
        Ophiuchus
        Pavo
        Perseus
        Pictor
        Pisces
        Pyxis
        Reticulum
        Sagitta
        Sculptor
        Scutum
        Serpens
        Sextans
        Tucana
        Ursa (Major/minor)
        Vela
        Volans
        Vulpecula

these are some of my suggestions (and the constellation they're derived from)

Spoiler:
        Antlia -> Antalon
        Cepheus-> Cephae
        Cetus-> Cetae
        Draco -> Draces
        Hydrus-> Hydrae
        Lyra -> Lyria
        Musca ->Muscae
        Pavo -> Pavon
        Pictor -> Pictae
        Pisces ->Pisces
        Sagitta -> Sagittae
        Sculptor ->Sculptae
        Serpens ->Serpae
        Tucana -> Tucanes
        Ursa ->Ursia
        Vela -> Velon
        Volans-> Volaron

i like the following names: (*: indicates F-302 production ability, **: indicates BC-304 production capability)

Prime Colony:
        Antalon (5 million population)**

Main colonies:
        Volaron ( 2.5 million)**
        Pavon(2 million)**
        Hydrae (1.3 million)*
        Sculptae(1 million)*
        Draces (800 000)*

Comment

Constellation-based names sound good. But I'm not sure about the predominance of "-ae" as the ending. Just as a linguist, it doesn't make sense to me (being the feminine plural). Maybe "-um"? Or "-a"? Even "-i" is more typical.

E.g.:

Hydrum / Hydra / Hydri
          &
          Sculptum / Sculpta / Sculpti
          sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I think it should be female names. As far as I know planets are refered to a female, just as ships, ika Mother earth

www.darkarmada.nl
            www.runescape.com

Comment

The planet names sound great, but regarding the cities on them, will they be along the lines of "New London" ect.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                i'm no expert on costs and i can't beat or compete at that. i'm more of a tech guy.

i think costs are hard and complex. i think ships should cost a few dozen billion each. hundreds isn't achievable, NATO expended 600 billion on defence last year. that's on the whole picture. earth could build a humongous fleet, if we spent 100% of all money on defence. we don't.

i think a 304 rated at 45 billion is sufficient. hyperdrive research cost 2 billion for Prometheus, so the ships are expensive but not over 100 billion. even a BB of 600m would cost approx 80 billion or so, perhaps close to 100 billion.

can someone get us a Wiki? would be useful. although i'd think we should add stuff as we go along, as opposed to making info-dumps
                Well essentially the hull is the most expensive thing so the more ships we build the hull cost will come down so I think we can work with that suggestion of $40-45 billion for a BC304. If you're happy to use my standardisation killman, then I will make those modifications you suggest.

Comment

i actually think shields and hyperdrive will be main costs, since they need the most high-grade materials. i'm not sure about the actual use of high-tech armor, it's hard stopping a railgun round, let alone a multi-KT plasma blob. the only real way to stop weaponsfire is by sacrificing parts of the ship. in that case all critical systems are best placed in the centre of the craft, where maximum decks can be sacrificed. Wraith bolts take out quite an area of ship, and 3 bolts almost entirely disabled the Deadalus. at a ha'tak's ROF, ships simply stand no chance unshielded.

$40-45 billion for a BC304
                  i'll agree with that

I think it should be female names. As far as I know planets are refered to a female, just as ships, ika Mother earth
                  pluto, mars, mercury, jupiter, saturn, they all suggest otherwise.

Comment

Also, if we have a budget, we can say to those who are doing the specs: Here's how much you can spend on a cruiser/BC/BB etc work to that price. That should stop ships being too uber.

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                      The planet names sound great, but regarding the cities on them, will they be along the lines of "New London" ect.
                      not all of them have to but I cna see some nation using old names like Thermopalae or Batavia or Buitenzorg

www.darkarmada.nl
                      www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                        not all of them have to but I cna see some nation using old names like Thermopalae or Batavia or Buitenzorg
                        Good because I dont want to see a load of "new" cities. Countries should come up with unique names that reflect the country they are from.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

yup.

anyway i'm not an expert on pricing. so i'd hate to have that as a criteria. unless we can give estimates.

a JSF costs some 80 million, i expect gunships to be some 100 million a piece. although they won't need to be as numerous as fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
                            Good because I dont want to see a load of "new" cities. Countries should come up with unique names that reflect the country they are from.
                            I think that is most definatly needed, the names of citys will show what people you'd find there, so in cities with names like Buitenzorg, Batavia etc etc, you'd find dutch, but in cities like Thermopalae you'd find greek

www.darkarmada.nl
                            www.runescape.com

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                              I think that is most definatly needed, the names of citys will show what people you'd find there, so in cities with names like Buitenzorg, Batavia etc etc, you'd find dutch, but in cities like Thermopalae you'd find greek
                              we're still going with one planet = one city ?
                              La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                              L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

So for budget this is what I suggest:

Fighter: $500 million if you want a hyperdrive on the fighter, $250 million if you don't
                                Gunship: $1 billion
                                Cruiser: $20 billion
                                Battlecruiser: $50 billion (that's including the same number of F302s as Daedalus, $43 billion without)
                                Battleship: $90 billion

Comment

Working...
                                X