Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry...I still have a hard time changing the chanel. HTere are screaming matches in my house on Monday evenings because by 10pm, I've been watching SG1 since 6 and my sister wants to watch CSI:Miami. Just because its a "new" episode...pah! I'll take vintage Gate over new dead bodies any day!
    As for the newer seasons being bad or boring...I thought so too at first, but now that S6 is airing on Fox here in the US, I'm watching them over again and thinking hmmm...interesting. I should've given them a chance the first go-'round. Also, with S7, the times are a-changing, and I'm still buying it. Hook, line, and sinker.
    And if she's really goin' down, I guess I'm going down with her... You'll find me twenty years from now sitting in my room watching SG1 on TVLand. Come on in... there's plenty of room.
    - 'Mo

I'm a woman. "Evil" would be a demotion.

BM: "The ice is a fickle mistress"
    THIEF: "Plus she appears to be a knife weilding maniac"
    BM: "Aren't they all?"
    www.nuklearpower.com

#10: Not allowed to purchase anyone's soul on government time.
    www.skippylist.com/skippylist.html

Comment

Originally posted by darklilac
      Regarding the post of this Indiana person, it's weird for a fan to post something like this, usually it's TPTB that are worried about spoilers, in fact didn't they say something exactly like that not so long ago to the webmaster of Gateworld?
      Are you trying to imply something about Indy, or are you just picking on him as the nearest convenient target? While I agree that spoilers don't "ruin" an ep in regards to storylines, they CAN spoil the enjoyment fans get from watching, and since the effect of spoilers is a matter of personal opinion, it can be neither right nor wrong nor can someone agreeing or disagreeing with TPTB make their opinions more right or more wrong or more "suspect". That's the whole point of an opinion.

It's also interesting to see that the fans that think Stargate didn't jump the shark and it's still so damn good are all Jack/Sam fans(see the icons).
      Of course, since now Stargate it's the Sam/Jack show.
      Wow, generalize much? I know some Sam/Jack fans who are as disappointed with the show as I am. ...Well, OK, maybe not quite as disappointed as I am, but they aren't too keen on the direction of things, either.

As Gipsy said, it's generalizations like that and the laying of blame entirely on individual factions which make fandom a difficult place. Yes, I'm sure there ARE some S/J fans who think the show is just fine, but I know of some anti-S/J'ers who still love the show just as much as the shippers. Try to keep an open mind. And remember to clarify that when you say things like, "It's the Sam/Jack show" that people know that it's just YOUR opinion. With the tone of your words it makes it sound as if you are stating fact when you aren't and I'm sure there are lots of people who would beg to differ with your opinion.

My only satisfaction will be when Atlantis will flop, and it will.
      Again, that's your opinion, and quite a spiteful one too, from where I sit. And considering that I'm quick to criticize Atlantis, that's really saying something.

You're free to have whatever opinion you wish, but actively wishing for a show's demise? What does that accomplish? Even I don't hate Atlantis that much.

I know all about posting "in the heat of the moment". I've done it before and I know I'll do it again. However, if you don't mind a little friendly advice (and that's all it is: advice), try taking a step back before you hit "post". Take a look at what you've said and see if it could be misconstrued, see if it could be hurtful to other people, try and consider the other point of view and see how your post looks. Just a thought. And probably one I could benefit from, myself.

Comment

I am an S/J shipper (yeah, I know people would never have guessed) and while I certainly don't think that the show has jumped the shark (although it was so very very very close with Full Circle) I have been disapointed with many aspects of the show.

Despite the fact that many people find it a contradiction I also love the Jack/Daniel friendship and team episodes and those have been few and far between. Is it because of S/J ship? That's probably a big part of it. But I am selfish and don't want to give up one thing I love for the other. I live in my own happy little la la land where I fully believe that it is possible not to focus on one aspect of the show to the exclusion of all others. I emerge every once in a while to release some pent up sarcasm when things start to really disapoint me but for the most part there I will stay. Yup, I'm the eternal optimist. Sorry I just couldn't write that last sentence with a straight face.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
          I am an S/J shipper (yeah, I know people would never have guessed) and while I certainly don't think that the show has jumped the shark (although it was so very very very close with Full Circle) I have been disapointed with many aspects of the show.

Despite the fact that many people find it a contradiction I also love the Jack/Daniel friendship and team episodes and those have been few and far between. Is it because of S/J ship? That's probably a big part of it. But I am selfish and don't want to give up one thing I love for the other. I live in my own happy little la la land where I fully believe that it is possible not to focus on one aspect of the show to the exclusion of all others. I emerge every once in a while to release some pent up sarcasm when things start to really disapoint me but for the most part there I will stay. Yup, I'm the eternal optimist. Sorry I just couldn't write that last sentence with a straight face.
          What she said... dito
          ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
          The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
            What she said... dito
            ditto from me, too.
            sigpic

Comment

What she said... dito
              You know you have to stop agreeing with me about everything or people will start to think that we're the same person.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

You know you have to stop agreeing with me about everything or people will start to think that we're the same person.
                Well I can't help it if you're right all the time
                ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
                  although how easily they were suddenly able to defeat the super soldiers in Lost City, and how they took them all out with no deaths despite Tealc making a great honking target of himself could be seen as ludicrous...nope, not going to think about it... **sticks fingers in ears, la la lala la la**
                  Yes it was terrible they had anti Kel devices! Even though that the devices had been in developemt ever since the Kel warrior was introduced!!! It's terrible the kel warrior can't hit main characters when even lowly Jaffa hit targets in similar postions all the time! Oh wait. THEY HAVEN'T!!!.
                  sigpic
                  Banner By JME2

Comment

Despite the fact that many people find it a contradiction I also love the Jack/Daniel friendship and team episodes and those have been few and far between. Is it because of S/J ship? That's probably a big part of it. But I am selfish and don't want to give up one thing I love for the other.

Then, you agree that because of the J&S ship, and the way the writers feel they can only seem to write for one or the other, it's dandy to have one fanbase excluded for the benefit of another fanbase?

Cuz from where *I'm* sitting, that what it sounds like.
                    You're lucky in that you say you like both, yet prefer one over the other, and have the one you prefer pushed over and above the other to its exclusion.

So, in addition to the lack of cohesive, GOOD stories that feature all of the team members and not just one or two, I also think the ship has helped sink the Stargate.
                    Last edited by Gategrrl; 05 May 2004, 12:58 PM. Reason: to bring into thread topic

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
                      Then, you agree that because of the J&S ship, and the way the writers feel they can only seem to write for one or the other, it's dandy to have one fanbase excluded for the benefit of another fanbase?
                      I don't agree...I LOVE both the J/D friendship AND the S/J ship and I don't want to give up either and I don't think I have.....I do think that sometimes the writers lean one way this week and the other way next week AND NO way the following week.
                      I WISH that they would utilize the time RDA has on screen better sometimes.....contrary to popular belief not all shippers want 10 minutes of S& J just staring at each other.... BUT Unfortunately for me and VERY Fortunate for all of you I do not write the show.....
                      What is my dream.... well I will tell you
                      GREAT TEAM episodes that include a GREAT Friendship all four SG members with D/J banter AND a reminder that there is a GREAT couple (S&J) together in the background..
                      so Great Team, Great Action, Great Romance........spells blockbuster to me
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Excellent points. The condition of Earth's friends and allies doesn't leave anyone to create stories around, does it?

Of course, we still have the domestic political snake pit that did so much to ruin Season 7. There's the last gasp of the uniqueness, the top secret status of the Stargate, being thrown to the wolves.

I trusted the spoilers that led me to believe Season 7 was going to be the best ever. It wasn't until I actually saw the episodes that I arrived at the conclusion that most of them were terrible.

Now I'm trusting the spoilers I've seen so far for Season 8 to tell me that I need to keep my skepticism intact.

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                          I don't agree...I LOVE both the J/D friendship AND the S/J ship and I don't want to give up either and I don't think I have.....I do think that sometimes the writers lean one way this week and the other way next week AND NO way the following week.
                          Well, all my opinion, obviously, but to me they've been leaning heavily one way through most of the season. And, it starts with an s and ends with an hip.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
                            No, I don't think it's right to exclude any section of the fan base in preference to any other.

I'd like to see BOTH relationships on the show, and I'd like to think it can be done. I'd like to think the writers are capable of writing for both relationships at the same time.

I feel like RDAs time was very poorly utilized in s7, both in terms of quality of apperances and distribution of scenes between cast members. However at the same time I don't think they completely excluded Jack and Daniel. Would I like to see more? Yes, but not to the exclusion of ship.

IMO while the average quality of the episodes for season 7 slipped, overall I'm still enjoying the show so no I don't think it has jumped yet.

And despite the crappy spoilers were getting I'm still optimistic about season 8.
                            ~BCM =)

Comment

And despite the crappy spoilers were getting I'm still optimistic about season 8.
                              Am I allowed to laugh at your silly optimism?

I don't think that ship (or any other sub-element) should be a factor in the writing. Ship can exist whether the writers consciously write it or not. Pandering to the shippers MAKES ship exist, whereas by leaving well enough alone, those who don't want to see ship don't have to.

I never saw the Jack/Daniel friendship as being something specifically written, I always figured it was just a more or less natural occurence. Naive belief, maybe, but I always figured the friendship just sorta happened, rather than the writers sitting down and thinking, "OK, how do we show that Jack and Daniel are buddies?"

Whatever happened to just telling good stories? When did it become all about the "ship element" and the "buddy element" and the "this element" and the "that element"? *sigh*

Back on topic, I still think the show has jumped the shark. If anything, the whole pandering to the various factions thing is just another tooth in the shark's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Am I allowed to laugh at your silly optimism?
                                Of course you can I do it all the time.

I don't think that ship (or any other sub-element) should be a factor in the writing. Ship can exist whether the writers consciously write it or not. Pandering to the shippers MAKES ship exist, whereas by leaving well enough alone, those who don't want to see ship don't have to.

I never saw the Jack/Daniel friendship as being something specifically written, I always figured it was just a more or less natural occurence. Naive belief, maybe, but I always figured the friendship just sorta happened, rather than the writers sitting down and thinking, "OK, how do we show that Jack and Daniel are buddies?"
                                I think chemistry between two characters just exists, and I think that's what you're talking about? but wether that chemistry is put to use or not has to be written IMO.

Whatever happened to just telling good stories? When did it become all about the "ship element" and the "buddy element" and the "this element" and the "that element"? *sigh*
                                well.... and then.... it could be.... well maybe...
                                I don't know.

Back on topic, I still think the show has jumped the shark. If anything, the whole pandering to the various factions thing is just another tooth in the shark's mouth.
                                And I say it still hasn't jumped yet, but I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date
                                ~BCM =)

Comment

Working...
                                X